Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: the world is my arena
Thread ID: 197
Thread Info
There are 6 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3117 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
fixing a ps2
the world is my arena
Ok recently, my ps2 (its the older model) died on me. i've been trying to fix it and nothing seems to be working. To sum up the problem, when i stick the disc in, it'll spin fine and the laser is fine, but while its reading the disc all you will hear is a constant clicking noise. I watched it with just a disc and it seems that the laser is trying to move closer to the spinner. Any ideas from people who have run into this same problem or just have an idea?
Expect no mercy, for you shall receive none

http://www.adventrising.com/images/icons/AR1.jpg
Kazuya_UK
Has the console been dropped or knocked in some way? To be honest it sounds like you'll need to get the laser replaced if you can find somewhere that does repairs, or buy one and fit it yourself if you know what you are doing - that can be a pain especially if you end up needing to calibrate the laser a little bit (you'll need the correct tools for that!).

The clicking noise from my experience is made when the laser keeps getting to the end of its run and not being able to move any further... I'm not sure why it is doing that, but it did happen to me once after I managed to knock my PS2 off its shelf onto the floor (I have had to get mine fixed a couple of times before I finally gave up and just bought a new console altogether).

I'm no expert in this anyway, but I'd recommend searching google as you'll definitely find a few guides for fixing a broken PS2, and if yours is completely fubar you might not have much to lose by trying it )just be VERY careful when taking it apart, PS2's are very delicate). I think there are a couple of guides on www.gamefaqs.com that might be of help in fact.

It's a shame you don't live in the UK because I know a couple of places here that fix PS2's... not sure about places in the states however (you are in the states right?).

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Circa2113
Is there any type of scratching or grinding noise? Or is it just the clicking of the laser unit? I've fixed a ton of PS2's, but I need to a better idea of what is happening.

It is almost definitely one of two things though:

1) The potentiometer needs to be +adjusted
2) The Laser unit no longer is moving correctly along it's railing

Both are quite easy to fix. If you can answer the question about the sounds, I can walk you through how to +adjust the potentiometer. Unfortunately, many times it becomes so stressed that it will no longer hold the laser in a proper position for disc reading. Usually though it just needs a slight fix.

the world is my arena
its mainly the clicking of the laser unit, i have not noticed any other sounds. ill listen more closely.

Well its been 3-4 years having it with no problem, but i think it was because i had my xbox on top of it for a while (my dumb fault). I haven't dropped it, that i know of. And yes i do live in the states

I'm thinking of buying another one soon anyway. Gamestop is lowering their prices on it due to the ps3 so i might just get another one while I'm trying to fix this one. Can never have enough of one system.
Expect no mercy, for you shall receive none

http://www.adventrising.com/images/icons/AR1.jpg
Circa2113
Well, if you want help trying to fix it before laying down the cash for a new one, just send me a PM. I'd be happy to help you out.

soul_reaper
or you could buy the ps2 slime just an idea.
neogeo& capcom games on my pc

money exchanger
magical drop 3
metal slug 3
samurai showdown 2
waku waku 7
vampire savior 2 japan rom
kof 2000

Jump to Forum: