Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Basashi King
Thread ID: 1961
Thread Info
There are 33 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5876 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
new kid
Basashi King
hi all - thought id introduce myself and my interest in neo geo. ive been lurking here for a few months and expect to make the odd post in the future as ive found it too hard to resist chipping in and having my say!

my love of games really started when i received an msx for my 6th birthday. there were some great cartridges for that machine back in the day. yie ar kung fu and its amazing sequel were fantastic games. knightmare is also a cracking game if anyone can be arsed to check them out on emulation. anyway, since then i guess ive ended up playing quite a few titles.

i came into contact with neo geo through an mvs at my local corner shop many years ago, although i didnt know what it was or anything about it. i remember world heroes, art of fighting and one other game. none of them particularly rocked my world however. samurai shodown changed all that though. ill never forget the day it arrived at a huge mvs at my local game shop. holy crap, it was amazing! i really wanted to get hold of a neo then - and even more so when the first king of fighters arrived, although that would only happen years later, what with being something of a pauper and all.

i got hold of a neo geo with samurai shodown eventually as someone was flogging it in the local paper. the bloke turned up with it and i proceeded to thrash him repeatedly with haohmaru! he didnt want to let it go really, but i think he probably needed the dough and couldnt afford to buy the games - but back then who could?

anyway, i was loving my samurai shodown, but could only get hold of world heroes 2 before the shops selling the games shut down and i started to spend more cash on clothes and booze. of course i was also playing the affordable home consoles and their games.

i continued to play games at university, the most memorable being f - zero x. my room was always crammed full when that was on multiplayer, with people in various states for various reasons glued to the screen shouting the word 'boost' repeatedly....

after finishing uni i couldnt stomach the idea of getting a job in my uk hometown, so i studied japanese for a couple of years and took a job over in tokyo. ive been here about 5 years now and am married to a japanese national. i love the place, but i also love the uk too - there are big plus and minus points to both countries.

i guess my biggest gaming love over the years has been streetfighter; i have been playing SF4 a hell of a lot since it came out in the arcades over here, and can pretty much hold my own im pleased to say! however, recently i found myself wanting to play as dan (believe it or not!) and decided it might be time to invest in a next gen console for my house here. i was getting bored with fighting the standard characters - the arcade has a slimmer roster than the home versions.

after weighing up the pros and cons of xbox vs ps3, i thought - f*** it, f*** all this cack, why dont i get my paws on a neo geo and enjoy some rock solid gaming at home? im no mega bucks rich kid, but finally im in the right place to pick up all the games that i wanted to play but could never afford, as well as discover top games that i never knew existed (like last blade - picked that puppy up a couple of weeks ago and ITS AMAZING. amano is too cool)! im quite an old skool gamer and not into a lot of the toss that is being pumped out on the current systems these days, so it seemed like a good choice. and, by god, it was!

i now have my old neo at home, and another here; if i leave japan in the future and return to the uk im sure ill have a stack of neo carts to take with me and set up in a room for retro gaming. things are good at the moment though so i think ill probably be staying put for a while.

and thats about it, as far as gaming goes at any rate. i came to this site as it is a great resource - many thanks to kaz for setting it up and to all the members here who have contributed to the forums.
Edited by Basashi King on 13. September 2009 20:33

Mr Vengeance
Wow that's an excellent story mate, as I said elsewhere welcome, and we hope you stick around. So many people come on here, introduce themselves and disappear....

Anyway, good luck with the Neo Geo collecting, it should be a lot easier for you to source games where you are anyway.... don't think I'd ever find one AES game in any shop here in Ireland to be honest with you!

STE C
Welcome sir life in Tokyo you lucky man that really appeals to me as well as having a Japanese wife, but seriously stick around you sound interesting as Vengeance says a lot of people appear that sound cool only to go AWOL which is odd as we are a friendly bunch here.

Powerwave
yo hope you have a good time here, we have lots of discussion including a game of the week every week and the awesome high score challenge (but you probably knew this already)

welcome aboard the snk ship.... arrr harrr mi matey
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Basashi King
thanks for the warm welcome gents - much appreciated.

ive been browsing old threads and it seems im into a lot of the same stuff as many of you on here, so as long as im welcome i expect to be sticking around!

i suppose i should list my neogeo carts. currently i have:

samurai showdown 1, 2, 3
fatal fury, ff special, real bout special
AOF2
world heroes 2
KOF 94, 95, 98
last blade

as i said above, ive got hold of most of this lot very recently. im in no hurry to buy though as i want to take time and appreciate the games.

Bullet
Hi,
Yeah its always good to see new members joining.
I've been posting here for a few years now, I'd like to post more often, but I'm always at the very least checking it out, seeing what's new on the site etc.
It's a great group here with many diverse tastes and attitudes and most importantly fans of Neo Geo and games in general.

Welcome aboard!!!
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Basashi King
having a Japanese wife

lol one of the bonuses is i got her to play quiz KOF the other day on emulation. i didnt understand jack shit but she managed to do ok! it was funny actually - one of the characters to beat is a 'chikan' - a pervert! anyway she got to the end of the map, and we beat krauser! i was waiting for the ending sequence... but then a new map appears! alas, poor yuri is still out there, waiting to be rescued!
Edited by Basashi King on 13. September 2009 20:42

priest
Hi and welcome Basashi King. I hope youŽll enjoy our company and become an active member here at NGFLSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
WELCOME BASASHI KING!

Like others have said, it's a great place 'to be' and were all friendly and easy to get on with. I/We hope you hang around. Like the others have said, it does seem to have become a bit of a trend to sign up, have a bit of a say and *puff*... gone forever! Whats it all about eh? Shrug

Anyways, I look forward to 'seeing' you in the forums Thumbs Up

Ninja

Mr Vengeance
What I like about these forums is the lack of arguments, something that you get so much of elsewhere. You can just come on here and chill, without having to put up with numpties disagreeing with you for the sake of it all the time Hmm

People on here have their opinions, and communicate them politely. If only other forums online were like that....

RiKo
Welcome Basashi King. Grin I agree with Ste, I would love to go to Tokyo!, in fact I plan to go sometime in the next 2 years all being well. Well you already have some great games esp Last Blade and RB Special! You are right about taking your time with them. I intend to 'trim' my collection a bit soon, and spend more time on the best games.

I have to admit I do really love my current-gen console, its like having the best of 2D and 3D games, and I love the downloads too. Also playing 2D style games online is pretty cool. I tend to go through periods when I pay Neo Geo and then I defect to my 360 for a while. Its really great to have a choice. Going back to the NEo is always a pleasure Smile

I hope you stick around too Basashi Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Mr Vengeance
RiKo wrote:
Welcome Basashi King. Grin I agree with Ste, I would love to go to Tokyo!, in fact I plan to go sometime in the next 2 years all being well. Well you already have some great games esp Last Blade and RB Special! You are right about taking your time with them. I intend to 'trim' my collection a bit soon, and spend more time on the best games.

I have to admit I do really love my current-gen console, its like having the best of 2D and 3D games, and I love the downloads too. Also playing 2D style games online is pretty cool. I tend to go through periods when I pay Neo Geo and then I defect to my 360 for a while. Its really great to have a choice. Going back to the NEo is always a pleasure Smile

I hope you stick around too Basashi Smile

I'm pretty much the same RiKo - I go from 360 to Neo Geo to PS2 and round again. I play a lot of SNK games on my PS2. I play a lot of XBLA games on the 360.

NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:
What I like about these forums is the lack of arguments, something that you get so much of elsewhere. You can just come on here and chill, without having to put up with numpties disagreeing with you for the sake of it all the time Hmm

People on here have their opinions, and communicate them politely. If only other forums online were like that....

I'M HAPPY TO SAY THAT...
I'm pretty unfamiliar with any other forums and their behaviours as this is the only forum I have ever been a member of! Must've struck it lucky first time eh? Well, actually... thats a lie. I did sign up to NeoEmpire aaages ago but quickly realised that it was really just a place where fighting game elitists gather and chat tech... constantly! I'm alright at my fighters (I can hold my own!) but those guys take it to a near scientific level! I get it... but I'm just not proficient enough to 'fit in'. PLUS they're all actually mates who gather socially regularly on that site so it's VERY 'cliquey' (especially as I don't live down London way... which is where all those guys are based). They all play each other down at the local arcades... It's the life for some aint it eh?

STILL... I'm glad to be here lads Joe

Ninja

Powerwave
this is the only forum ive ever been part of. and ive always felt welcome and the conversations are relaxed and not to eLEET. like ninja stated what i have seen of other forum sites about gaming is people being very stand offish and to technical. its nice to be part of a site where we simply enjoy playing neo geo.Geese
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Shiny
Welcome aboard Basashi King. Smile

NGFL's a groovy place and, at times, perhaps too laid back for it's own good but that's what makes us unique. Members often take breaks from posting (points at self, amongst others, including that Kaz fella) but they invariably return. Hope you enjpy your stay.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Kazuya_UK
Great post Basashi! Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy your time here! Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
STE C
All the above is true this is a great site and also the first i have actually signed up to. We all respect each others opinions and have what I suppose you could call mature debates about the games we love. Im not one for slagging other sites or badmouthing but I have out of interest checked out the forums on the other big NG site and find it not to my liking, its the people who make this site and I'm damm glad I'm part of it.

Basashi King
hey gang,

yeah ive been lurking long enough to know that its a pretty laid back place here which is quality. personally i dont mind the odd opinionated character either - as long as nobody is being an absolute ring piece its all good! i like a bit of spice from time to time!

as for the next gen consoles, i guess i would have more time for them if i had more time! i went to the local arcade twice today, clearing kof98um (love the boss team background) with the fatal fury lads and punishing some locals at sf4. its all good! but what with that and the beers (ive been out on the sauce tonight) i dont have too much time for the admittedly great social gaming of the 360. i do however get my gaming fix! i like to spend time in the evenings watching uk programmes from uknova.com and i have a fantastic wife to consider! but yeah, i know how good xbox live is and im sure id have a machine and be challenging some of you people if i was in the uk! as it is, were i to get one here, it would be lag city back to blighty:(

as an aside, if some of you are interested in experiencing tokyo, why not come on over? its the tokyo games show next week, which unfortunately i will have to miss due to work:( but why not think about saving the dough and coming over for TGS 2010? youd have a fucking ball, guaranteed, and be able to buy up plenty of aes stuff - or all of the mvs carts going, as theyre cheap as chips over here!

Mr Vengeance
Shiny wrote:

NGFL's a groovy place and, at times, perhaps too laid back for it's own good but that's what makes us unique. Members often take breaks from posting (points at self, amongst others, including that Kaz fella) but they invariably return. Hope you enjpy your stay.

I did an old disappearing act there myself a few months after joining.

Just back at college now, and I'll likely repeat that stunt once again as the work piles in. Whilst I'm looking at eBay a lot still, I'm unsure about making any more AES purchases in the near future due to the financial strain of going back to college and that. No doubt I'll put the AES obsession on hold soon enough but will come back to it again. Presence on the site here will likely be affected, but I'll be back again if it happens anyway, as the interest in the Neo Geo increases again.

@Basashi King

I've been wanting to go to Japan for years - problem is, I've lost contact with a lot of like minded gamer buddies over the years, who I could have gone with. I'm going to go over some day.....

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:

I'M HAPPY TO SAY THAT...
I'm pretty unfamiliar with any other forums and their behaviours as this is the only forum I have ever been a member of! Must've struck it lucky first time eh? Well, actually... thats a lie. I did sign up to NeoEmpire aaages ago but quickly realised that it was really just a place where fighting game elitists gather and chat tech... constantly! I'm alright at my fighters (I can hold my own!) but those guys take it to a near scientific level! I get it... but I'm just not proficient enough to 'fit in'. PLUS they're all actually mates who gather socially regularly on that site so it's VERY 'cliquey' (especially as I don't live down London way... which is where all those guys are based). They all play each other down at the local arcades... It's the life for some aint it eh?

STILL... I'm glad to be here lads Joe

Ninja

Wow - sounds like those guys are seriously hardcore - would be cool to be part of a community of gamers online who meet up and play games together.

Here in Dublin, we have a very large gaming arcade in the city centre. Bit of a dangerous spot like, but there's a lot of Asian guys who play games obsessively there. Pretty cool guys, nice to be part of their group but you'd need to be really hardcore to get into that. And like yourself Ninja, I don't count frames and whatnot! I'm pretty good at games but I'm not expert! Intermetiate level player really.

tony starks
Shiny wrote:

Guilty as charged Hmm

Welcome man, and I hope you find everything you need here. You will probably catch me more on Neo-geo.com than here but if you need a break and no drama than this is the best Neo forum by far Joe
Edited by tony starks on 16. September 2009 01:37
Starks is always out

Jump to Forum: