Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Mr Vengeance
Thread ID: 1957
Thread Info
There are 91 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12582 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Art of Fighting series
Mr Vengeance
What does everyone think of the Art of Fighting games then? For me, its a series that I feel has never truly reached it potential, mainly as a result of SNK moving on to other games and placing more emphasis on its other series (no bad thing in many ways of course).

I've pretty mixed feeling with the AoF series myself:

Art of Fighting 1 - I've pretty much got the same opinion as Kazuya on this one - I know its not a brilliant game, far from it in fact, but I really like the game - I love the vibe, the sound effects, the characters, the story and the atmosphere - it was one of the first SNK games I played and I was amazed at the massive sprites and lovely stages. The gameplay is flawed and its a very old school fighting experience now, but its still got 'it' I think. I can't whol- heartedly recommend AoF 1, but my own personal preference says its an enjoyable title all the same. Improved controls and being allowed to play through the Story mode with anyone, and it would have been a real contender I feel....

Art of Fighting 2 - I hate it. I'm sorry but this is one of my least favourite SNK games ever. Firstly, I don't like the graphics one bit. Its also far too fast for an SNK game, and its stupidly difficult. I have tried to play this game many times, but every time I just give up and turn it off out of disgust. Meh.

Art of Fighting 3 - Ever since I seen this game go for just 86 on eBay about a month back, I've been thinking about buying it on the original format myself. It normally sells for a lot more, so I'm sorry that I let it go for that price without counter-bidding. But anyway, I must say I truly love this video game! Its a real return to form for the series I believe. And whilst its not perfect its still got a lot going for it - the most apparent thing being the visuals - they are stunning.

I remember when I first say it running, I could not believe that it was running on the 16-bit AES! I was shocked and astounded by the gorgeous visuals, and phenomenal art direction. This, in my opinion, is up there as one of the best looking games on the platform.

I really like the gameplay too. As many have said before in the past, this game plays very much like a 3D beat 'em-up in 2D. This makes it very unique on the Neo Geo.

The character line-up and depth aren't as good as in other Neo Geo titles, but I still think AoF is by far the best game in th e series. With a little more polish in a follow up, I think we would have been looking at one of the best games on the system. Its such a pity it never materialised:(

What does everyone else think??

Wild Tengu
Art Of Fighting - Average looking game, sprites are big, but terribly animated and have a crappy color palette (lulz Ryo's hair and gi colors being shared). The game plays like crap, and every character besides Ryo and Robert have like 1-2 moves each. Throw that on top of jerky quirky gameplay with bad controls and you have a lame ass fighting game. The only thing decent about this game is the AST.

Art Of Fighting 2 - Decent improvement over the original, graphics are alot nicer, and characters have more moves now, but now you have too many Kyokugen fighters with Ryo, Robert, Takuma and Yuri... its like an omen of whats to come with the Street Fighter series and its many shoto clones. Also it's still a jerky piece of crap with terrible controls. AST is also good.

Art Of Fighting 3 - Beautiful graphics and animations, and Kasumi Todoh is the best character to come out of this game. However, gameplay wise... well... it's alot better than the first two games, real combo's are finally possible, along with juggles... but it's this very thing that breaks the game with retarded juggles that look like something out of first generation Tekken.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
NeoGeoNinja
AH! THE ART OF FIGHTING SERIES...

Like you said, I also never really felt that this series reached it's true potential.

I also really like AOF1, but I too know that it's not exactly great nowadays... it probably never was, but nevertheless didn't ever stop me from liking it! FOR ME THOUGH... I always like the SNES version the best. GFX weren't as good BUT the AST on it was amazing! In particular Mr Bigs stage & Mr Karate's. Overall, much better than the Neo's soundtrack (IMO!). Never really played it 'on' the NGeo 'til recently (AOF anthology on PS2-JP) and it was just the usual case of: liking the first version I had come to like, the most... regardless. This has always been the same case with FFury1 too... I like the MD version most out of all the versions available. Aside the graphical differences - armed with the 6-button MD pad - I feel that this is the best version you can actually 'play'.

Here is the original thread from a few months back which Merlin started on the same subject:
'The best Art of Fighting game' - http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1702
I hope you find it informative Wink

SINCE 'THEN'... (the previous AOF thread)
I have played the AOF's more thoroughly and have since changed my opinion (slightly). I now prefer AOF3 over AOF2... which wasn't the case originally. Overall, I DO prefer AOF2 but I just feel that the 2-button set-up really harms the game for me as it opens a massive window for unforced errors IMO. IF, HOWEVER... the game had have had a standard 4-button set-up (like it DAMN well should've done... NO excuse IMO!) I think it would have played much better indeed and as such would have probably been the best in the series. As for the difficulty... heh, well... where do I start? I just WONT! The game is do-able though. I didn't think it was but one night me & my mates sat down and just decided to do it! In honesty... it probably took . Sadly, this didn't include Geese... maybe next time!

Ninja

Wild Tengu
How can you say the Genesis version of Fatal Fury was better than the other versions? They took out freaking Hwa Jai AND BILLY KANE.

Powerwave
i love the art of fighting games each and every one but not because they have solid gameplay but simply because they make me feel warm inside.

aof 1 - even though i think it plays pretty nasty i cant help but love this game, i love playing thru the great story line and meeting such amazing characters along the way. i probably love the mega drive version even more because of its great soundtrack, im a lover of mega drive music always have done and always will do.

aof 2 - love the sense of humour when you switch it to the english setting, it may be hard... very hard, but when u spend ure four credits getting to stage seven you feel so proud of yourself because of all the blood sweat and tears it took to get there

aof 3 - love the graphics and characters, love them alot. call me crazy but to me it plays like a 3d fighting game like tekken and virtua fighter. i realy love the gameplay it feels so fresh and different.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

STE C
Umm i remember AOF1 when it first came out and was blown away by it, I actually traded my only AES game for it which was Fatal Fury. After the appeal wore off I realized I had probably made a mistake as FF was and is the better game ( this was back in the early 90s when I could not afford new games hence only had a AES for about 5 month) .

I have the first two on CD and sometimes play 1 out of nostalgia but i really do not like 2 at all, played 3 on emu and may pick it up on MVS if its cheap but again it really has not had an impact on me. Like ive said I know the series has its fans but im really a FF man although im glad for the AOF games as they have supplied some great KOF characters Robert is a dude.
Edited by STE C on 12. September 2009 21:29

Yao
AOF 1 is a classic! where I am from this game represented the NeoGeo of the early days like no other game. Haven't played AOF 2 a lot, so can't really judge it. Also haven't played AOF 3 too much. But from what I see it has the most boring character roster of all fighting games I know. The character designs just don't appeal to me. I want real fighters like Terry, Andy, Ryo Kim, Rock, Genjuro, Ukyo, Zantetsu etc. not little fat guys with jet packs...

Wild Tengu
Powerwave wrote:great story line.

Blindly looking for leads to Mr.Big's hideout so you can save Yuri.

Powerwave wrote:amazing characters along the way.

A random Japanese Aikido fighter that has only one crappy special move, a morbidly obese biker wannabe, a dyke that uses Muay Thai with no actual Muay Thai moves, a blonde military guy that thinks he can 1Up Guile, a black boxer that looks like a homeless man (so original), then you have an old man thats a Vega wannabe that at least has a cool outfit, and then you have Mr.Big, the only original character in the game. Finally you have Mr.Karate, nothing more than a Ryo head+palette swap.

Yeah, such amazing characters... at least King was salvaged and made into something so much more in KOF, and Capcom managed to give Todoh a total re-haul, while SNK brought back Lee in NGBC and managed to make him cool. But everybody else... boring and totally forgettable, and generic lame fighters.

Also, John Crawly is gay for Micky.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/Screenshots/aof2000.png

img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/Screenshots/aof2001.png
Edited by Wild Tengu on 13. September 2009 00:51

Powerwave
ahhhhh wild tengu..... firstly when i say great story i dont mean it would make a good novel or play, i mean its fun and a little tongue in cheek and a joy to follow it may not be very deep but it is a 90's arcade fighting game remember.

in terms of characters you could argue that most fighters from the early nintees era are a bit generic and seem like rip offs, of one an other but thats what you are likely to get when your playing early nintees fighters.

whats bad about an over weight biker that spits gum i think thats cool even if you think its sad. also king is one of my fave snk characters to me she seems like a parralel to a famous shakespeare character who is a girl dressed up as a man to be able to fit into a man driven society aka fighting. so i think she works realy well as a character and i think shes real fresh.

and as for john crawley being gay is that a bad thing to have in a game.... does it make you embaressed In Love the sense of humour is wonderfull and fun to have in this game and it also builds the characters up a tad.

Wild Tengu
You know I am joking around right? Pfft

Also, apparently SNK USA fucked up and gave John his wrong intro vs. Micky, that was supposed to be for King.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 13. September 2009 01:56

gudrummer
I honestly like AOF 1, i play it every now and then, but is far from great.

AOF 2 is the biggest piece of crap ever with the cheapest A.I i have EVER seen. That is a game i regret buying.

AOF 3 has some great qualities and plays like a fighting game (finally...) but, for me, it was too late, Real Bout was already out.

Wild Tengu
AOF2 is pretty decent if you play it vs. friends though.

Powerwave
yeah the best thing going for aof 2 is definately playing it with friends, i used to take my neo to my gaming nights up at my old university and aof 2 was a fave for people playing versus, definately more fun and less frutrating than single player.

wow i cant believe they could mess up the intro thats pretty funny. i always thought that it was intentional, i mean i realy thought that john crawley was a mean looking gay soldier, i always thought it was a good move for jokes and also to include that kind of material in gaming as it wasnt realy happening in the early nintees. it kind of reminds me of when they mess up on street fighter games in the U.S. i mean changing every boss characers name round is an odd idea when you could just change mike bisons name to somthing else and keep the other boss characters their original names.

im thinking i might crack open my aof 2 aes and see how far i can get, one win is good enough for me i used to be realy good with takuma and john crawley if i remember correctly. i can understand why you guys get frustrated with the difficulty i would have hated to pay full price on release for this title.

NeoGeoNinja
Wild Tengu wrote:
AOF2 is pretty decent if you play it vs. friends though.

I agree with this. I still enjoy the 1P mode though if I were honest Shrug

Ninja

Wild Tengu
AOF2's CPU really isn't that difficult, like most of the CPU controlled opponents in fighting games around at the time, it just reads your command input. There are ways to exploit it though, to the point you can rake in perfects easily.

Powerwave
yeah when you realy concentrate and think about your moves that boggle the computers mind thats when you can start to get some wins in.

Basashi King
i love the fact that AOF2 is ridiculously tough, even though the game uses underhand jiggery pokery to whup your ass. it is possible to learn how to beat opponents and i get an almost perverse kind of kick out of it! actually i have a copy of this one back home in england, but recently picked one up here in tokyo for the bargain price of 500yen (about 3). you cant argue with that!

i still love the graphics on the game, although the characters feel very wooden. kings stage is an absolute bag of turds though.

as for AOF1, my local corner shop used to have it, but it was way too hard and i was way too poor to have any love for it back then as a wee lad. playing it through emulation recently (admittedly only for a short time) brought back memories of me feeling i was being ripped off of my pocket money.

AOF3 is a completely different kettle of fish, however. the graphics are different but great; it plays smoothly too. i dont play it on emulation much because id like to play it on the aes, as i think its worth owning. i nearly picked it up earlier this week but i walked away with real bout special instead (the price was right) - although i know ill be snapping it up before long.

Wild Tengu
John Crawly can easy decimate the CPU in AOF2.

Basashi King
ive barely played with him but i might give him a go. i usually play with robert because i used to think he was the coolest. crawly looks like a bit of a nob by my reckoning.

Mr Vengeance
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
AH! THE ART OF FIGHTING SERIES...

Like you said, I also never really felt that this series reached it's true potential.

I also really like AOF1, but I too know that it's not exactly great nowadays... it probably never was, but nevertheless didn't ever stop me from liking it! FOR ME THOUGH... I always like the SNES version the best. GFX weren't as good BUT the AST on it was amazing! In particular Mr Bigs stage & Mr Karate's. Overall, much better than the Neo's soundtrack (IMO!). Never really played it 'on' the NGeo 'til recently (AOF anthology on PS2-JP) and it was just the usual case of: liking the first version I had come to like, the most... regardless. This has always been the same case with FFury1 too... I like the MD version most out of all the versions available. Aside the graphical differences - armed with the 6-button MD pad - I feel that this is the best version you can actually 'play'.

Here is the original thread from a few months back which Merlin started on the same subject:
'The best Art of Fighting game' - http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1702
I hope you find it informative Wink

SINCE 'THEN'... (the previous AOF thread)
I have played the AOF's more thoroughly and have since changed my opinion (slightly). I now prefer AOF3 over AOF2... which wasn't the case originally. Overall, I DO prefer AOF2 but I just feel that the 2-button set-up really harms the game for me as it opens a massive window for unforced errors IMO. IF, HOWEVER... the game had have had a standard 4-button set-up (like it DAMN well should've done... NO excuse IMO!) I think it would have played much better indeed and as such would have probably been the best in the series. As for the difficulty... heh, well... where do I start? I just WONT! The game is do-able though. I didn't think it was but one night me & my mates sat down and just decided to do it! In honesty... it probably took . Sadly, this didn't include Geese... maybe next time!

Ninja

I'll have a look through that thread.... topic only covered recently but I was on my hiatus, so apologies! Didn't realise.

One thing I want to say though about AoF - it gave us Mr Big! I love Mr Big! Coolest guy ever....

Jump to Forum: