Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 1945
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12756 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is Neo Drift Out a good racing game?
Absolutely! Very fun indeed! Absolutely! Very fun indeed! 80%[12 Votes]
Its very good! But not the best Its very good! But not the best 0%[0 Votes]
Its ok, but not my favorite Its ok, but not my favorite 7%[1 Vote]
It sucks... It sucks... 0%[0 Votes]
Haven't played it Haven't played it 13%[2 Votes]
Must've missed it... I'll play it soon! Must've missed it... I'll play it soon! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
Neo Drift Out discussion
The eccentric cat
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week discussion thread!
-----------

Hello again! After one week's delay, GotW is back! X3

Seems Neo Drift Out was the most popular one, and unfortunately, I've never tried it, so I don't have much to say here... ^^;

Neo Drift Out

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/55000901_t2.jpg

Players: 2 players
Genre: Racing
Size: 106 Megs
Released on: MVS, NeoGeo CD

Brief Description:

Neo Drift Out is a top-down perspective racing video game by Visco Corporation for the Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD consoles. It is a sequel to Drift Out. The gameplay is quite simple, pull the joystick in a direction to steer and manuever the car. Press the A button to accelerate. Press the B button to put on the brakes. The player has a choice of either a Mitsubishi Lancer, a Suburba Impreza or a Toyota Celica each with their own different levels of own Speed, Control and Body stats. To start off the player has to win the Practice Stage. In each racing stage, the player needs to get to the finish line in the shortest time possible. If the clock hits zero, the player loses and the game is over unless they can continue. While driving, the time is hindered by barrels, puddle, slippery ice, cones and other obstacles in the player's path. Even other cars driving can be an obstacle. Also the player has to keep straight when driving up slopes, or the car will swurve and crash.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodrifttitle.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodriftintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodriftselect.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodriftshot1.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodriftshot2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_82/neodriftshot3.jpg

Reviews

Neo Drift Out review by Kazuya_UK

Review Quotes:

Kazuya_UK wrote:
I did at first prefer this game to Overtop but after playing them both a bit more so I could do these reviews, I am not so sure, because they are both great fun. If top down racing games are your thing, then I definitely recommend you get both of them, although they can both get a little boring after a while, as replay value isn't their main strength

Videos:

Neo Drift Out Intro

YouTube Video

Other Media:

Yup! Jukebox has Neo Drift Out .mp3s!

http://www.neogeo...age_id=283

Highscore Challenge:

We have a Highscore Challenge going on! Good luck!

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1944

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 13. September 2009 07:38
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

reelmojo
This is one of those NG games that I've never gotten around to trying. I'll download it soon, but I'll probably be offline for much of the week since I'm moving tomorrow so I probably won't be able to post about how much I like it anytime soon. It looks similar to RC Pro AM to me, and that is a very very good thing.

Mr Vengeance
I haven't played it, but would be interested to hear what other people think about it.

What I want to know is why no AES version? Or did one appear.... I see there is a CD version.... ??

Will
I always pick the Toyota Celica when I play. The snow race stages are easier to tackle because the car doesn't slow down as much at turns as it does in stages without snow. Sometimes I find the game a bit short, because six stages doesn't seem exciting enough and its pretty straightforward going from start to finish in a limited time. I'm occasionally reminded of a similar game, which has Water Racing called "Aqua Jet". Still this is outstanding compared to other SNK racing games.Honfu

Powerwave
i might have this game on my 48 in 1 cart im sure there was defo a racer game on there. i shall have a look next time im neo geoing and report back
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

STE C
I have this on my 100-1 cart along with the other two NG racers and don't spend a lot of time with any although they are all fun this is probably the best of the bunch.
I would not pay a lot of money for any of them but I would say pick em up if you see them cheap, I cant say ive seen them much on ebay for MVS & CD but i wouldn't mind having them separately maybe on CD so I shall keep my eyes peeled.

Powerwave
yep i do have this on my 48 in 1 cart and i think its a real fun game, it can get very hard and fast for a beginner, i think i may revisit it soon and try and get better at it because on the surface it looks like a real fun rally game.

kgenthe
Stick with it powerwave! I have a friend and he came over and spent about an hour an a half playing and could not beat it, and racing games are his favorite genre. It takes a while to memorize the tricky sections of some of the tracks. A few tips... you can hold the accelerator and never brake on all 7 courses, hitting other cars slows them down, and barely effects you, nearly every single alternate route is significantly shorter. Good luck man!

http://www.implantgames.com
candycab
Its interesting that I have played this quite a bit but never on anything other than a cabinet with a wheel. That said I think its only rival interms of frantic steering inputs needed is probably Championship Sprint. Im a big fan of both games as they really are standout experiences in gameplay when using a wheel, at this point a stick would probably ruin it for me.

Still its definitly a great game worth owning [atleast in MVS form ] if you have the extra dough laying around Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Powerwave
thanks kgenthe i shall follow ure advice and dont break during the whole thing. as you said i just need to learn the tracks a bit better

Kurisu
I have a superb AES conversion of NDO and love it. Better than OverTop imho. Graphics are great and the tunes are even better. The music on the title screen is quite similar to that on Zed Blade/Ragnorak. The handling never gets frustrating and it has that "just more go" hook to it. Yes it's short, but there are loads of short cuts to use, and it is a blast if you only have a few minutes to spare. A bit like Outrun, it doesn't matter if you finish it every time, it's the journey that is enjoyable, and because it is a time based game, you can never actually beat it as you can always try to shave a second off your best time on every stage. I also have OverTop and Thrash Rally and like them all because they all handle differently and each has its own advantage over the others (NDO has different Rally stages, OT just has one big track divided into stages, TR has two separate modes to play). By the way, I know I am sad, but I just love Thrash Rally!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Will
I am thinking that this game is probably some sort of remake of a game made 2 years earlier by Visco called "Drift Out 94' - The Hard Order". It has pretty much the same elements including split routes, ramps and obstacles and the same three cars used. That game however has 30 different nationalities to choose from and eight different cars to pick. Also the turning and handling is little harder in the game. Check it out.

merlin
Thanks for the info and for reminding me about that game Will. I had never tried it before. I just gave it a quick go on Mame and it seems really good. I like that you have far more cars to choose from than in NDO.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Jump to Forum: