Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 1920
Thread Info
There are 37 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 22205 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters '96 discussion
joedec
KOF 96 is one of my all time favorite game. Its my second favorite KOF game in the series (2nd only to KOF 97). KOF 96 is the game that made me a true fan of the series. 13 years after its original release, it still holds up.
Edited by joedec on 10. September 2009 22:21

Wild Tengu
96 is ok, but I really hate the LOUD riffs in the OST (The AST is so much better), and there is major balance issues in the game, namely freaking Geese and his ability to do a 100% combo easily on almost every character in the game by just spamming hop C. You can connect up to several or more of them at a time, resulting in your opponent becoming dizzy. Once they are dizzy, all ya gotta do is RAAAAAAGING STOOOOOOTRM and you win.

The collision boxes are also horrible, some of SNK's worse by far, and there are no command normals in the game (Which is lame, which means no ground overhead attacks for many characters). Then there is the introduction of the roll... and it is so useless,m you just get hit trying to roll through most attacks, especially fireballs.

The good things to come out of 96 IMO are -

- Kasumi Todoh
- Vice and Mature
- Leona Heidern
- Boss Team (Despite how broken they are)
- Combo Counter
- Run
- Hop/Hyper Hop
- Long Jump
- Arrange Soundtrack

But everything else on the other hand is below par, namely the fighting system. And to be honest, I actually preferred the sprites from 94-95 over the new sprites some characters received for 96 (Terry, Ryo, Robert, Kim, and Mai especially).

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
The eccentric cat
lol @ bump just to rant...
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Yao
can anybody tell me why the loss of projectiles from 96 on? Was it for balancing reasons? I like projectiles, and I think every fighing game needs them.

And what you guys forgot...in my eyes KOF 96 has by far the best cover!

Mr Vengeance
I must disagree Yao - I'm not a fan of full screen projectiles outside of super moves, they are too cheap! I like limited range fire balls though, or the ones on the ground are ok.

King's fireballs in '96 are still full range though aren't they? I 'm not a big King fan, and think her fireballs are taking the piss in KOF XI!! So cheap Annoyed

NeoGeoNinja
Wild Tengu wrote:
...The collision boxes are also horrible, some of SNK's worse by far, and there are no command normals in the game (Which is lame, which means no ground overhead attacks for many characters). Then there is the introduction of the roll... and it is so useless,m you just get hit trying to roll through most attacks, especially fireballs.

The good things to come out of 96 IMO are -

- Kasumi Todoh
- Vice and Mature
- Leona Heidern
- Boss Team (Despite how broken they are)
- Combo Counter
- Run
- Hop/Hyper Hop
- Long Jump
- Arrange Soundtrack

But everything else on the other hand is below par, namely the fighting system. And to be honest, I actually preferred the sprites from 94-95 over the new sprites some characters received for 96 (Terry, Ryo, Robert, Kim, and Mai especially).

I PRETTY MUCH...
agree with all that, more or less! Nicely constructed Tengu.

Shitty collisions, OVERanimated and lenghty animations that do not connect at the 'designated' frame and, yeah, the lack of command normals (as you put it!) make this game missable IMO. I much preferred 95 & 97. I think anyone who says they like 96 > all other KOFs has either, never played any other KOFs properly, don't know how to play KOF properly or hold nostalgia in FAR too higher regard for their own good.

THE BEST THINGS...
about 96 are the AST and the BKGD designs, which are arguably the best in the series. This doesn't make amends to the horrible gameplay (and naff SFX too thinking about it!).

AS FOR 96's SPRITES?...
Well, between 95 & 96 is a mixed bag for me. STRICTLY discussing sprites (and not how the characters in 96 were criminally savaged!) I like the LOOK of some more in 96 and some more in 95. Like, personally, I think Robert in his AOF3 outfit in 96 looks cooler than his 95, and I prefer Ryo's 96 look over his 95 one.

95>96
97>96
95&98>97&96!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Yao
Mr Vengeance wrote:
I must disagree Yao - I'm not a fan of full screen projectiles outside of super moves, they are too cheap! I like limited range fire balls though, or the ones on the ground are ok.

King's fireballs in '96 are still full range though aren't they? I 'm not a big King fan, and think her fireballs are taking the piss in KOF XI!! So cheap Annoyed

I understand your point. Some Fireballs may be cheap and that could be a problem for the balance of a game. But nevertheless, I just like em Smile Just thing about MOTW and take a look at Rodriguez (or Butts) fireball its just beautiful and also fun to use. I don't know, maybe its just that since the day I first played Street Fighter 2, I am used to fireballs and they kind of belong to a 2D Fighter, in my opinion. Also I think that Ryo just needs a fireball, without it he feels incomplete to me.

Long live the full range projectilesGrin

Mr Vengeance
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then Kiss

NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:

Yao wrote:
I understand your point. Some Fireballs may be cheap and that could be a problem for the balance of a game. But nevertheless, I just like em Smile Just thing about MOTW and take a look at Rodriguez (or Butts) fireball its just beautiful and also fun to use. I don't know, maybe its just that since the day I first played Street Fighter 2, I am used to fireballs and they kind of belong to a 2D Fighter, in my opinion. Also I think that Ryo just needs a fireball, without it he feels incomplete to me.

Long live the full range projectilesGrin

IN KOF, PERSONALLY...
I don't find full screen projectiles offensive. the games system is so much more in-depth than say, SF2, and as such there are so many more optins available to you for negating projectiles. In fact, I think you have to have balls to use (and successfully use!) projectiles in KOF as the running jump or super jump make mincemeat of projectile users.

KOF 95 is a game where the majority of PPL have full-screen projectiles, and it doesn't detract from the game at all. I do however find 96s' weird Dan Hibiki projectiles for everyone very strange, and it was something I never really got on with. I think Ryo's (eventually, sans KOFXII & CVS1-EX ver.) short projectile is really good though. Always hated Roberts 96-98 one though... it's a joke! So's Terrys 'actual' wave. I think Andys short Hishoken was pretty useful too... abusable infact!

PERHAPS INTERESTINGLY...
I always find it cool to look at the versions Capcom took for the CVS series... like 94&95 Ryo for example. I wonder why that was, considering 96 Ryo had been around for 4+yrs at this point? Same with King, Mai, & Benimaru too? Perhaps Capcom know something SNK don't... like, SNK trashed those characters between 96&00/01... Infact, Mai only JUST recovered in NGBC & XI, well, IMO at least.

Would've been even more interesting to see what Capcoms Andy & Robert would've been like too?! My guess? More like KOFXII's renditions I reckon (like 95's really!). I/We can only speculate I guess (unfortunately!)

Ninja

Mr Vengeance
You make some good points regarding full screen fireballs Ninja, but I'm still a shortened fireball kind of guy - I guess it comes down to preference.

Yao
Mr Vengeance wrote:

you are right Mr Vengeance...but the kiss on my cheek scares me a little...or do I actually like it more than I should...I am so confused...Shock

Mr Vengeance
Yao wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:

you are right Mr Vengeance...but the kiss on my cheek scares me a little...or do I actually like it more than I should...I am so confused...Shock

Don't worry mate, straight as an arrow Wink

If you're enjoying that kiss a little too much though, a look at this should straighten you back out in no time Wink

Yao
Mr Vengeance wrote:
Yao wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:

If you're enjoying that kiss a little too much though, a look at this should straighten you back out in no time Wink

fuuuh...Smile
and since I am as gay as Kibagami Genjuro I can give you a comradely Comfort back, and none of us has to be scaredSmile

NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:

MATE...
everything was going just great, and then along came this slag smokin' a fag! Ruined!! Shrug
I'm SO not into women smoking it hurts! Oh God... there goes the physical pain again... URGH!

(without checking elsewhere... is this that film that has Sigourney Weaver as her mother??)

Ninja

Mr Vengeance
I love JLH like you wouldn't believe.... even if she is smoking.... Gotta agree with you Ninja, I HATE women smoking, such a turn off. A bigger turn off than even fake tan!

And yeah, its Heartbreakers with Sigourney Weaver - actually very entertaining, and JLH looks phenomenal in that pink dress In Love

dhowerter
BTW, two things Smile

1. Under "Released on:" at the top of this thread, you forgot to list Sega Saturn (KOF 97 discussion thread here lists the Saturn version)

2. ENGLISH LANGUAGE SELECT! (in the SATURN version of KOF 96 Smile

In the Options Menu--> "Language:" --> "English" ^_^

Sweet!

(I didn't think any of the Neo Geo games ported to the Saturn HAD English Language Select)

Here is a Youtube Video showing this: (near the beginning)

https://www.youtu...ZRY3x7zvlw

Does anyone know if there is a list somewhere of the Neo Geo games ported to Saturn WITH an English Language option? Smile

NeoGeoNinja
Wow! Diggin' this one up again, proper style!

Basically, I ended up getting a 96 home cart along the way (it's pretty inexpensive) and... it COMPLETELY changed my opinion of the game vs my previous comments laced all over this thread.

Although I feel that 96 does have its share of shortcomings, it plays SO MUCH better than it's widely available ported counterparts, it's silly. Somehow, in the porting process, they completely 'lost' whatever it is that makes this game come to life on the NeoGeo. Crazy!

Not perfect, but I love it much more than I did upon my last comments. Let's just put it that way Wink

Jump to Forum: