Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Widescreen
Thread ID: 192
Thread Info
There are 2 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1523 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thinking of Installing Vista... think again!
Widescreen
Executive Summary
Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to provide content protection for so-called “premium content”, typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.

Executive Executive Summary
The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history [Note A].

Introduction
Disabling of Functionality
Indirect Disabling of Functionality
Decreased Playback Quality
Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
Elimination of Unified Drivers
Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation
Decreased System Reliability
Increased Hardware Costs
Increased Cost due to Requirement to License Unnecessary Third-party IP
Unnecessary CPU Resource Consumption
Unnecessary Device Resource Consumption
Final Thoughts
Acknowledgements
Sources
Use, Modification, and Redistribution
Appendices and Footnotes

Mini-FAQ
Open Questions
Microsoft's Response
About the Author
Glossary
Quotes
Footnotes

Its a long read but well worth it... Thumbs Up
Edited by Widescreen on 12. February 2007 21:15

http://forums.widescreenxp.net
candycab
Well for me personally XP Pro does everything I will ever need it too, after tweaking things here and there.

I ran the Vista Beta for a while on another machine last year and was far from impressed. My two cents on Vista go somethimg like this.

Ive never been a huge Mac OS fan and honestly Vista looks like a ripoff of OSX, not too mention I really dont like tabbed browsing so I dont run Firefox let alone the crap that is IE7 and the new "Live" looking version of WMP 11 makes me want too hurl Thumbs Down

That said Vista looks like more of a sick joke than anything else to those who use XP, that doesnt appear to offer anything other than OSX like visuals in its overall look and menus, the new search oriented start menu was irritating to say the least.

Looks like a complete waste of money too me, but even if I was planning on buying I would certainly wait a few months before doing so, unless maybe I knew everyone of my hardware manufacturers had released final Vista compatible drivers.

I dont know ... I dont think that improved visuals should be the future of an OS at this point, why not try giving us a more user freindly kernel and maybe give the end user some form of control back to us as opposed to telling us this what we need to do 47 times before you allow us to make our own decision ? As Vista seem to expand on this crap that seemed to really start with the useless trash that is service pack 2. The amount of end user monitoring in everything we do within the OS is just absurd at this point.

All hail to the useless spending that is Microsoft ..... Gotta love it Grin

Thanks for the article bye the way Wink Looks like its worth a read Thumbs Up
Edited by candycab on 13. February 2007 04:33
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jump to Forum: