Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Mr Vengeance
Thread ID: 1906
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3902 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Backgrounds!
Mr Vengeance
My love of a pretty background has been well documented on here. By the sounds of things, my sentiments are shared by many of the other users on here too.

So what are your favourite backgrounds in Neo Geo / SNK fighting games, and which of these games do you believe have the overall best looking locations??
Edited by Mr Vengeance on 18. August 2009 14:02

Will
I have many backgrounds I like the look of:

A majority of the AOF3 backgrounds
Resturants and Cafes that King owns.
Futuruistic metropolises (The one in last resort 1st stage and Gowcaizer's Stage in Voltage Fighter)
Funfairs and amusement parks (South town Park in AOF2 and La Rue Diamuse in Savage Reign for example)
The Ring of Doom, Fire of Hades and Satan's Tundra from Savage Reign.
Krauser's Castle in Fatal Fury 2 and the Venetian theatre in KOF 96'.
Places near the sea like the coastline in Crossed Swords Chapter 4 or the South Bay Area from Burning Fight.
Places with natural beauty like the Aquarium from Fatal Fury 3.

I could specify lots more, but now I think want to see others favourites Blue Mary

merlin
My all time favourite background in a Neo Geo fighting game has got to be the stage with the cherry blossom trees in Samurai Shodown 4. It just looks beautiful. The Samurai series has a lot of really nice backgrounds. I'd probably say overall though that the Last Blade series has the most impressive looking stages. All of the stages in the Last Blade games look stunning.

Some other really nice stages I like:

Breaker's Revenge - Saizo's rooftop stage

Ragnagard - the stage of Eelis - a beautiful looking stage with a lake and a French chateau in the background.

Samurai Shodown - Haohmaru's stage with the waves crashing on the rocks. This still impresses me every time I see it.

Samurai Shodown 3 - Amakusa's stage with the stone circle and Nakoruru's stage.

The Last Blade - Kaede's stage with the leaves on the ground and the ship in the background. Also Okina's background.

The Last Blade 2 - the stage with the horses.

Nice idea for a thread.
Edited by merlin on 18. August 2009 15:24

STE C
Oh good thread lets see I love so many but here is a few that spring to mind.

Last Blade Kaedes with the cherry blossom ( in fact all LB & LB2 backgrounds are without fault)

Last Blade 2 the house on fire oh its divine and IS my all time fave background

SS4 the burning village which is also in 5 as well ( more fire lol )

SS4 the bamboo level

SS5 on ther beach which is just a variation of an earlier background but the colours are more pleasing

Ninja Masters erm the bloke whith the crow in his jacket stage ( sorry i should know his name by now) again most of NM background are great

KOF 98 the China level,on boat fantastic

KOF 95 new team level with factory in background

KOF 2003 desert stage plain but feels very fresh

KOF XII has loads of great ones

cthulhu
Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi: Kaede, Moriya and Musashi.
Garou Mark of the Wolves: Grant.
King of Fighters '99: Rain Stage.
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden: Ireland.
Samurai Spirits: Zankurou Musouken: Kyoshiro and Ukyo.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
GREAT THREAD...

I need to think a little more about this... but HonFu's from FF3 is one of the best I've seen in an SNK game. (on the lift... ridiculous!)

I'll think of some more... But RB2, RBS & AOF3 carry the majority of my fave SNK BKGD's (Heh... & KOF95's of course Wink )

Ninja

STE C
OH well done cthulhu KOF 99 the rain i forgot about that , this is gonna be one long thread as we are spoilt for choice every time we think of one and post oops another one springs to mind . the original Fatal Fury Pao Pao cafe love the music and was so impressed when i first saw it in 92. Last Blade 1 Onikas stage by the misty river gives me goosebumps lovely stuff but thats LB in general absolute bloody genius , as a fellow member once said * you know who you are and perfect thrase dude* the grace the beauty of it

Yao
LB stages are the best in my opinion. Another one I love is Gato's stage. stunningly beautifulSmile

RiKo
Yes nice thread Mr Vengeance Smile

I love in KOF95 I think the one where the tree gets struck ny lightning and you are fighting in a storm with rain

I *really* love Kim's stage in MOTW - with all the monks and crowd watching in the background - has awesome music too (which always helps!)

Terry's one is great too (on the train) - and the way it changes every round, and also Gatos stage with the beautiful waterfall - esp if you get knocked high in the air and when it scrolls up.

Last Blade - forgot her name a bit but Anaki's stage - with the women chanting her name, and its kind of a town, I just like that for some reason.

Matrimelle - they are all great - having bands/singers perform behind the fighters is a great idea!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
RiKo
Welcome back Will - nice to see you again Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Mr Vengeance
Good to see you guys like the thread! I think all of Last Blades and Garou's stages are outstanding. I too love Gato's level.

The Japan and China stages in RBS are some of my all time favourites too! I also like the Ikari Warriors' background in KOF '94. I generally like levels with vegetation and water Smile

Harv
The burning house stage on LB2 is my all time fave, Its AWESOME..
And B. Jennet's background on MOTW is pimp too....
Headbang
img18.imageshack.us/img18/6889/10dz7yf.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/2dharv/
THX-1138
Love the backgrounds in SNK's games, they are so stylish and detailed.

The gritty urban backgrounds in MOTW and the arty backgrounds in Last Blade 2 are my favourites.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

Mr Vengeance
I too like a well designed urban stage - RB2 has some excellently designed ones. Love all those pigs running around, and the notice in the window of Blue Mary's stage stating "RB" ON SALE HERE" Grin

THX-1138
Which one is it were you can kick Mary into the water and see her boobies? Is that Real Bout 1?
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

Mr Vengeance
Yeah it is THX... trouble is, is that I've not been able to do it myself yet!:(

Yao
Yes I think it is. I think you have to kick her into the water and then jump into the water too, to see her Boobs. correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I just found my all time favorite SNK stage. It is "Forsest of forgetfulness" in Last Blade 2. The mountains, the waterfalls, the sun shinning through the treetops and the singing of the birds in the background...breathtaking.
What an awsome gameSmile

Yao
BTW can anybody tell me what the number 9 that you can see shattering into pieces in the intro to LB2 means? I know this is off topic, but I thought its not worth an extra thread.

cthulhu
Yao wrote:
BTW can anybody tell me what the number 9 that you can see shattering into pieces in the intro to LB2 means? I know this is off topic, but I thought its not worth an extra thread.

It's a Magatama, here's a Wiki pages explaining what they exactly are: http://en.wikiped...i/Magatama.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Yao
interesting stuff. thanks!

Jump to Forum: