Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 1900
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8276 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is World Heroes is good to come back to?
Yup, still as fun as ever! Yup, still as fun as ever! 53%[8 Votes]
Its pretty good, but its outdated now... Its pretty good, but its outdated now... 20%[3 Votes]
Its ok, but not great Its ok, but not great 20%[3 Votes]
Its horrible Its horrible 0%[0 Votes]
What's up with Rasputin!? o.o What's up with Rasputin!? o.o 0%[0 Votes]
Haven't played it, but I will soon! Haven't played it, but I will soon! 0%[0 Votes]
I'll take the sequels, thanks... I'll take the sequels, thanks... 7%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
World Heroes Discussion
The eccentric cat
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the week discussion thread!
-----------

Its that time again! [insert incredibly cheesy GOTW line here], folks!

And this time, its... World Heroes! I was never a big fan of the series. Since it has clunky controls and such. :\

But, it does have a certain appeal... Campiness? Nostalgia? ;3

World Heroes

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/world-heroes-001_t2.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Size: 82 Megs
Players: 2
Released on: AES, MVS, World Heroes Anthology (PS2)

Brief Description:

World Heroes is a fighting game created by ADK. The general premise is that a scientist, Dr. Brown, having perfected a time machine, organized a tournament for various fighters throughout all of history to combat each other. True to this plot, many of the fighters are based on actual historical figures. The game plays like many other fighting games, but instead of a 6-button layout, the original World Heroes uses only 3 of the standard 4 Neo-Geo buttons: one for punching, another for kicking, and the last for throwing. The former two buttons can be held down longer in order to deliver stronger attacks, similar to the first Street Fighter control scheme, with only two levels of strength and using standard buttons instead of pneumatic buttons. In the SNES version (and later games, starting with World Heroes 2 Jet), it is possible to assign the 4 basic attacks to different buttons.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_147/whtitle.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_147/whintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_147/whselect.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_147/wh1.jpeg

Review:

World Heroes Review by Kazuya_UK

http://www.neogeo...age_id=149

World Heroes Review Quotes:

Kazuya_UK:
Nowadays this game is quite dated, although I still like it. There are many games that are much better than this, and there were also sequels that were better but this game is still enjoyable

Videos:

World Heroes gameplay:

YouTube Video

Other media:

We have a few tunes in the Jukebox! Enjoy!

http://www.neogeo...age_id=283

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...post_28475

Past GOWT Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 23. August 2009 08:24
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

STE C
I recall playing this back in about 92 when it first came out and was impressed at the time although it never turned me away from Fatal Fury or AOF.
It has not aged well to be honest although the graphics are colorful I find the cast to be very poor, this also applies to the sequels although better its a series along with Breakers for me that I don't really bother with but I can see why it has fans.

merlin
This was one of the first Neo Geo games I ever played and it made a big impression on me at the time. I can remember this game was fairly popular in the arcades back in the day. Personally I prefer it over Street Fighter 2 although of course I recognize that the latter game is better. World Heroes might seem really dated now but I still love playing it. I still think the nice colourful graphics are quite impressive to look at.

People often dismiss this game as just being an SF2 'rip off' but I think there are some nice original ideas in the game. Some of the characters are very original like J. Carn, Rasputin, Janne and Dragon in particular. Also having a death match mode was a really nice idea which they should never have got rid of in later games. A lot of people seem to have an issue with the way you press the buttons to get weak or strong attacks. It never bothered me at all. World Heroes 2 was a big improvement over this first game.
Edited by merlin on 16. August 2009 12:14
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Nadanova
World heroes was one of the first games I bought for my AES, quite dated compared to the likes of Fatal Fury Special and quite clunky to try and control yet still very fun to play due to the whacky assortment of huge attack sprites, daft moves and hilarious characters.
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

NeoGeoNinja
RIGHTY 'O'...

I know that this specifically aimed at the original World Heroes... but I'll just say this: the World Heroes series is massively underrated.

SO... The first World Heroes game I ever bought, interestingly was WHPerfect on the Saturn as it was the only WH released on that machine. I only got chance to play the other 3 upon WHGorgeous coming out on PS2 in JP well over a year ago.

I HAVE TO SAY... I was VERY impressed with them all. I kinda feel that, whilst not owning a NeoGeo that I had missed out on this series in particular (as many other SNK titles were always released for the Saturn etc in JP). I loved how the game attempted to try and create battles between iconic characters from the history books using the NeoGeo and 2D fighting as the chosen platform... sheer GENIUS!

AS FOR THE 'ORIGINAL' WORLD HEROES?.. I would DEFINITELY play this game an awful lot more if it had been as fast as it's predecessors. I quite like the 2 button = 4 attacks implemented in the first 3 games. It works much better than it does in AOF2 for example IMO. So yeah, the only issue I had whilst playing it recently was the lack of speed. The same issue IMO also hampers the legendary SF2. I think they're both just too slow to enjoy by todays standards, as for me, a small roster has never really been a big issue.

PERSONALLY... I still think WHPerfect is the best BUT if I had a NeoGeo, with only 4 buttons, I think I'd probably like WH2 or Jet best... as I really can't be arsed pressing 2 buttons in place of 1... doesn't do it for me.

ANYONE LOOKING AT THIS GOTW... and thinking they might give WH1 (or series in general) a go, should. They're great and I reckon every self respecting NG owner NEEDS at least one iteration in their collection. If your anything like me, damn, you'd probably have them all!

Ninja

Will
One of my beloved early 90's neo-geo games. My favourite of the heroes are Janne (I like her laugh especially), Dragon (His high pitched yelps are comical) and Brocken (His robotic scream is amusing). I think it is better to play than Street Fighter 2. The game also avoids mirror matches.

The best bits in the game are the final opponent and the death matches. My favourite death match stages are the voltage barriers, the spike walls and the oil puddles. I don't see why Janne's death match stage had to be a boring hazard-free arena. The shape shifting abilities of Geegus are brilliant, making him one interesting boss to fight. It would be nice if his death stage had all the hazards from every previous stage put together except, spike wall, flaming barrier and voltage barrier don't go together.

I've tried the SNES version and I find the graphics a little inferior and the music not as catchy. The Sega Megadrive version I think is terrible and awful with rusty sound effects and music and badly done graphics. I've never tried the PC Engine version though. For some reason in the other versions, Muscle Power's hair is bright yellow blonde, whereas in the original Neo-Geo version his hair is light creamy blonde.

Comparing with its later games, I'd say World Heroes 1 has the best death match stages, World Heroes 2 has the best bosses and variety of fighters and bonus games, World Heroes Jet has the best single player competitive gameplay. World Heroes Perfect I don't think its so very different from Jet.
Edited by Will on 17. August 2009 05:52

Wild Tengu
I'll take Karnov's Revenge/Fighters History Dynamite over World Heroes anyday to be honest. World Heroes just has really clunky and cumbersome gameplay and controls, and the character designs are all pretty lame, with equally lame moves. Hanzo and Fuuma are fukken ridiculous, all you have to do to win with them is spam that move where they glide and spin furiously in the air. Then Ryoko... while she is cute and has a nice pair of boobs, why does she bow than dash towards her opponent to throw them? One of the lamest throw moves ever, it's so useless.

I remember having this game in arcades on one of those MVS cabbies that could house multiple games, and nobody EVER played World Heroes, Samurai Shodown was the game that got all the play, along with the Street Fighter II cabby that sat right next to it.

The only thing I can really give credit to World Heroes is that a decade later when SNK-Playmore would release NGBC, that characters like Fuuma and Hanzo would get completely re-hauled and made into much better characters than they were originally.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 17. August 2009 07:11

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Ruy
I used to love World Heroes when I was a kid, I still play it sometimes. Thumbs Up

I will never forget the first time I saw Janne's bald head... that was shocking for me. Shock

Vexan
Yeah.. I'm playing all my anthology all over now because of you Wink xD Haha, and Yeah, I'll give a score into the GOTW Wink
i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo191/VexanRFM/Sigs%20and%20Avatars/vexansiggie1500x150t3xt.png

www.freewebs.com/rockmanfullmoon
Powerwave
love world heroes 2 the best love, the characers are amazing i do find it quite hard sometimes though.

1983parrothead
Several days ago before I finished writing this reply, I finally played the Neo Geo MVS version through emulation using the NeoDS. But the very first time I played this was back when it hit the Super NES platform. Back then, before emulation was around, I was usually renting video games at local film and video game rental places, as well as national ones like Blockbuster Video and Movie Gallery. Me and my brother used to play it at a babysitter's house, and I remember when I was usually using Rasputin to repeatedly grab my brother's chosen character.

Back then, I thought it was plain good, but after playing it again by playing the Neo Geo MVS version, I had more fun with it, because back when I played the SNES port, I couldn't understand the point of the fighting game boom of the 1990s, while motion controls were uncomfortable back then. Therefore, I never played its sequels UNTIL THIS YEAR.

After hearing many claiming it as a SFII clone/ripoff/wannabe/whatever, I refused to ignore it, and see what ADK has to offer. In my opinion, the controls don't seem to be as "clunky" as many consider. I guess it's because most of them first played and are more used to the six-button SF titles. The sluggish motion didn't bother me much, either.

Overall, it's pretty enjoyable, but it's difficult for me to find someone to play head-to-head against.

Be sure to also check out its Wikipedia article. I've been spending time writing it in good quality, but all it needs now is info about its "Plot" and "Reception", as well as reliable citations. Remember, GameFAQs isn't a source according to Wikipedia's rules, but it can be added to the external links.

Jump to Forum: