Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1859
Thread Info
There are 106 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 39011 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Breakers/Breakers Revenge Discussion
Shiny
Wild Tengu wrote:
even super chombo's.

IT'S COMBO!! JEEBUS CAN NO ONE SPELL ON TEH INTERWEBZ! Pfft

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Shiny wrote:
I'll never understand the following that SNES quality game, Ninja Masters, has...

THX-1138 wrote:
Got to agree with Shiny on Ninja Masters, it's so overrated.

Underrated by the sounds of things...

Ninja Masters, particularly in terms of playability, feel and responsiveness is fantastic and, to be honest, IMO feels and plays better than many other Neo games available. I'm not saying this to be a 'troll' or anything like that... I'm just speaking from personal feeling and experience. It genuinely is a really good game, regardless of PPLs feelings regarding it's 'presentation'. An acquired taste I guess.

Ninja

In Neo circles it's absolutely overrated. Not just presentaion but in every way a SNES quality game. Some little known Neo games deserve the hype, like Waku Waku 7 and current thread topic Breakers, but Ninja Masters just doesn't. It looks, sounds and plays like a SNES game and I find it's popularity somewhat baffling. Each to their own I guess. Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

reelmojo
Wild Tengu wrote:Next person that calls Pierre "Pielle" is gonna get a ass kicking from me in this game online.
...Pielle.

Does Friday at 7PM EST work for you? I'm no expert at the game but I wouldn't mind testing my skill against a master of super chombos. Pfft

Wild Tengu
Alright, you're on.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Will
Quit justifying me Wild Tengu and stop correcting me. Pierre Italian or French, Rila cat lady or Amazon I don't care. Sarcasm The fact is, I like them. And you can stop gloating about combos.

There is certain features I particularly enjoy about Breakers. The scenery is definite influencing. The other is that unlike other fighter games, this game has different names when the player faces his own clone in a mirror match. I'll soon begin my highscore attempt and looking forward to it.Franco
Edited by Will on 28. July 2009 21:58

Wild Tengu
Well next time use your head when commenting about the characters.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
The eccentric cat
Wild Tengu wrote:
Next person that calls Pierre "Pielle" is gonna get a ass kicking from me in this game online.

... Pielllllllllle.

Bring it. Ninja

... Also, what's a chombo? XD
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

boogiepop
Will wrote:
Quit justifying me Wild Tengu and stop correcting me. Pierre Italian or French, Rila cat lady or Amazon I don't care. Sarcasm The fact is, I like them. And you can stop gloating about combos.

There is certain features I particularly enjoy about Breakers. The scenery is definite influencing. The other is that unlike other fighter games, this game has different names when the player faces his own clone in a mirror match. I'll soon begin my highscore attempt and looking forward to it.Franco

Yeah, I actually forgot that bit about the names changing when you play a mirror match. It's so small a detail but it surprised me nonetheless the first time I noticed it.

One of the small annoyances I have with the game (and there's very few) is how you hear that same thing over and over again every time a round ends. The rest of the music I like a lot. Shame that there's just so little of it. This is one series I'd love to see revived. I think.

Anyway, you should join for some games too Will. Like I said earlier, I'll be home in a couple of weeks and would love to set up a time specifically for that.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

crazyaxe
GREAT GAME!

I love playing it. Fast, fun, with lot of supers.

I think I never won the last boss, because I want to use just one credit...

Are there more bosses in "revenge" version? I noticed only one more playable character.

Cheers

merlin
crazyaxe wrote:
GREAT GAME!

I love playing it. Fast, fun, with lot of supers.

I think I never won the last boss, because I want to use just one credit...

Are there more bosses in "revenge" version? I noticed only one more playable character.

Cheers

There's only one boss in Revenge just like in the first game: Bai Hu. It's a shame they didn't make a proper sequel but at least it's nice to have Saizo in the game. He's a cool character and I always think his stage is probably the nicest looking one in the game.

By the way welcome to NGFL crazyaxe! Feel free to introduce yourself in the arrival/departures section if you want.

I don't know about everyone else but I think this is one of the toughest fighting games on the Neo Geo to play in single player mode. The CPU opponents are VERY aggressive even on level 1 difficulty and the boss can be a nightmare.

Breakers being game of the week has really rekindled my interest in the game and I'm keen to play it online on a regular basis.

I was watching a lot of match vids yesterday and found some from a Breakers tournament held in June. It was interesting to see some footage of Alsion in a tournament because not many people play as him. The commentary is a bit loud so you might want to turn the volume down. I don't think the person playing Sho at the start plays all that well but still it's nice to see Alsion winning. It just shows that you that although he's lower tier he can be effective in the right hands.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 29. July 2009 14:03

merlin
Wild Tengu wrote:
Also, I am surprised you are not familiar with the Soup Nazi. Everybody should know him!

BTW Merlin, you better be up for some matches later. I'll put you in you're place. Kekekekeke.

Never heard of the Soup Nazi before but I just read about him on wikipedia. I'm not a Seinfeld viewer I'm afraid.

I accept your challenge but I'd prefer to get some practice in first over the next couple of days. I know you're playing Reelmojo at 7pm EST this Friday well I'm always at GW on Fridays from 7pm EST onwards so maybe you could play me after you've played Reelmojo? I can use 2DF but kaillera is always my preferred option.

RiKo
CrazyAxe - you rule! - we need more people with Ralf Avatars. I use Ralf too when I am bored of Jenet and Mai (which lets face it - doesn't have often)

I once devoted a whole week to playing Breakers Revenge - it was called....Breakers Week. I played mainly as Sho because he looks the best I think, and is quite familiar to play as. I really like Breakers (Revenge in my case) I love how fast it plays and that it all controls how you'd hope. I think really it is an enhanced Neo Geo version of Streetfighter II - but with worse characters + some copies. It lacks the bombast and flair that other games like MOTW have. It feels a bit souless somehow, its a very good game though, but falls short of being great.

Shiny - it is very hard in 1 player mode. I don't get very far myself either.

I am looking forward to trying the high score challenge someday - not in a Breakers mood at the moment:(
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
I'd first like to say Pielle's chombos are the best!!! Troll the Tengu troll!!!

Breaker's Revenge is a great game, love the controls and enjoy it quite a bit on my Neo cab. Underrated in a sea of underrated Neo games, the neo as a whole is underrated as far as systems and games go and as fans we are a niche group to begin with.

I also really like playing Ninja Masters and hearing someone say it looks and plays like a Snes game, is kinda disturbing, it really puts ones intellect and opinion in doubt. I'm not trolling or trying to be a jerk, but sometimes people say things that are just wrong and it should be addressed. You don't have to like the games I like. I don't care about that. Or maybe your use of hyperbole is lost on me as it doesn't translate as sarcasm on the net. I'm probably giving too much credit, since you think it looks like a Snes game, but I digress...
Just look at the crap ports of any Neo game from Fatal Fury to Art of Fighting and Sam Sho etc., they sucked and Ninja Masters just wouldn't be able to run on the Snes without being dramatically down graded in graphics and frame rate. I'd really like to be playing the Snes that you are playing, cause mine must be broken. Or is it that FX chip?

Almost a ridiculous as someone saying King of Fighters 12 looks like a Snes game, almost but not quite.

Waku Waku 7 is also a fun game, but even more niche than the previous 2 games which I also enjoy playing.

Oh and I guess I'm back, lol

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Carmen
merlin wrote:
Never heard of the Soup Nazi before but I just read about him on wikipedia. I'm not a Seinfeld viewer I'm afraid.

I heard they don't get Seinfeld in UK, hehe.

About the earlier comment, in most people's eyes 2D is 2D regardless of the quality, so comments like "KOF XI or SS zero look like they could run on SNES/Genesis" actually aren't too surprising, albeit still very jarring to the ear.

Bullet
It's just frustrating to hear as this should be the place where people know better.

STE C
Hey Bullet you are 100% right Ninja Masters is a great game and although it does not have the wow factor of maybe SS4 or LB I think its a graphically pretty game and by far the NGs best kept secret. The graphics on Ninja masters could certainly not be accomplished to the NGs standard on a SNES no dissing the guy who said this opinions are welcome free Country and all ( speaking from the UK that is )
Edited by STE C on 31. July 2009 18:49

Shiny
Welcome back Bullet. Smile

Sigh. If you guys like Ninja Masters, have at it, enjoy.

Why do I make the SNES comparison? Although it would lose a few colours I really can't see anything that the SNES couldn't handle. Tiny sprites, a reasonable frame rate, static backgrounds with NO paralax scrolling at all. As a stand alone game it's fair but stood with the Neo giants it really does look as average as it actually is. But it is "cool" to like it as it always is to like the underdog. And you don't get much more underdog and than a Neo Geo underdog. Nothing gets peoples' backs up like the truth.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Bullet
Hey Shiny,
I'm not trying to piss on your doorstep, but I just genuinely like Ninja Masters.

I'm not smoking cause the cool kids are doing it.

I'm pretty much the same age as you(just turned 33 last week) and could care less what's cool at this point, just what I enjoy and want to spend my time with and money on. If you had said: hey this game sucks, it has dial a combos like Mortal Kombat or fighting with or without weapons is a pointless system, that's more for show than anything else. I'd say: yeah, I could see that. I'd prolly agree with those points, but I'd still like the game and play it as I still do.

With that said, the whole anything that is 2D compared to a Snes always pushes a button with me, mostly cause I love art, design and animation and understand what effort goes into these games we play and critic so harshly.

No worries, as we don't don't all have to like the same stuff that's what makes the Neo , its games and the people who play them unique. We all have different reasons and wants for playing these games.

My apologies Shiny as I was prolly being a bit of a dick.

Carmen
But maybe... just maybe... all those people really like SNES Pfft

I once read a review (from someone who seemed to have reviewed quite a lot of games) saying F-ZERO X looks like an SNES game, hehe.

merlin
I had a short session of Breaker's Revenge online yesterday and loved it. I'm definitely planning to play this online every single week from now on and would love to play some more people here at NGFL. I noticed they have now added this at GGPO so now there are multiple options for playing this online. I've been trying out Saizo recently. He really is a very cool character design and a lot of fun to play as.

I love the Snes and a lot of the games had very good graphics but with the Neo Geo being a powerful arcade system I really expect a bit more. In the words of the SNK advert 'bigger, badder, better'. The graphics in Ninja Masters are adequate but for a 330 megabit game that came out in '96 but I would have expected something a bit more impressive. Compare it to other '96 fighters like SS4, Breakers, Kizuna and Real Bout Special and it doesn't really have the 'wow' factor visually like those games all do.

Ninja Masters is a decent game and I'm glad people get a lot of enjoyment out of it but I personally feel it is a bit overrated. I much prefer the gameplay of the Samurai Shodown and Last Blade games.
Edited by merlin on 01. August 2009 14:48

RiKo
The SNES version of Fatal Fury Special - isn't that far away from the Neo one (I have both) Its probably at 70% as good. It has all the parallax too I think. Some Megadrive games like Sonic the Hedgehog look better than Neo Geo games too - e.g. Raguy/Blues Journey. Sonic looks awesome still! The Neo is a much more powerful machine though. Theres nothing as good as F-Zero on the Neo Geo either! (or Mario Kart)
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: