Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1859
Thread Info
There are 106 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 39051 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Breakers/Breakers Revenge Discussion
Powerwave
well sorry i havnt replied to this thread earier ive been out of the country. but i dont think that i even should bother saying what i think about this game. you all know what i think to this game and uve heard me rant about it in the breakers chat forum and in the streets so yeah, need i say any more Grin

Yao
merlin wrote:
Ninja Masters is a decent game and I'm glad people get a lot of enjoyment out of it but I personally feel it is a bit overrated. I much prefer the gameplay of the Samurai Shodown and Last Blade games.

same here. I like Ninja Master's, for its one of the last "NeoGeo secrets" but it's no comparison to Last Blade or Samurai Shodown. I don't only prefer their gameplay, but also their overall presentation, story, depth, characters, music etc.

But still Ninja Master's rocksHeadbang

boogiepop
This is getting entirely off topic but I think I can understand the cult following Ninja Masters has. It's Magician Lord that someone needs to explain to me.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

STE C
HA HA good one Boogiepop I know a lot of people love Magician Lord, it was and still is a nice looking game a game i actually own on cd but its difficulty level is just absurd. In fact i would say its maybe the hardest game ive played , but its a cult game like Ninja Masters which i love but ive never the got Magician Lord praise myself .
Edited by STE C on 03. August 2009 19:30

Mr Vengeance
RiKo wrote:
The SNES version of Fatal Fury Special - isn't that far away from the Neo one (I have both) Its probably at 70% as good. It has all the parallax too I think. Some Megadrive games like Sonic the Hedgehog look better than Neo Geo games too - e.g. Raguy/Blues Journey. Sonic looks awesome still! The Neo is a much more powerful machine though. Theres nothing as good as F-Zero on the Neo Geo either! (or Mario Kart)

When you play the Neo Geo, it very much feels like a "24-bit" system I believe- when you play the best games on the platform, they are far better looking than the best games on the SNES, though naturally the Neo Geo isn't as powerful as the 32-bit systems. The Neo Geo is very much a half way house between both generations I feel, and is probably superior to the PlayStation in many regards when running 2D games.

Whilst the Neo Geo is a "dual core" system, that being it has a 16-bit main CPU with a supporting 8-bit processor, it very much lives up to the "24-bit" marketing of SNK from back in the day.

RiKo
Something very boring that I know is that the Neo's CPU has a 24 bit address bus. So could be sneakily called a 24 bit for that too Smile

The Neo is much better than the PS2 for 2D games cos Playstation doesn't have much memory to fit all those frames of animation in. Where as the neo just uses all the cart memory when it wants

I like Sho and Tia best! I wish they had spent more time making some of the other characters look better though Smile The backgrounds are also in general a bit lacking.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Yao
Sho is the best shoto character ever!! He is so much fun to play its awsome.

shin0480
Yeah~~~~!!! I love the Breakers!! it is definitely one of my favorite fighting game on the system. I love that the gameplay is really smooth.
I wish we could have some kind of battle for the breakers one day... I think I will be able to kick everybody's ass...lol
Edited by shin0480 on 15. August 2009 06:43

HexElf
If Karnov's Revenge got an "Alpha" spinoff like Street Fighter did then this is exactly what you would get. The parallells between Breakers and Street Fighter are obvious to anyone with eyes but it still manages to go do its own thing with uber precise controls, spot on special effects and a cool cast.

The combo system is so wild and intuitive that it will have you work it like a pro within minutes and they strayed away from many conventions such as charge characters having to be defensive and grapplers being difficult to use. In fact Dao-Long is one of my favorite rushdown monsters of all time and Condor is scary effective with basics alone.

Overall it's one of those games that really is both ultra rare and extremely good! Pure win.
Edited by HexElf on 21. January 2010 14:45
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
RiKo
Sho makes a good avatar too Grin i have been playing Breakers Rev a lot recently is currently my fav Neo game. I think thats partly cos i like SFIV so much so i am back into that style of fighting game. Its so fast and responsive, so many games get that wrong to start with:(
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Maybe some of you have already seen this before but someone kindly sent me a link yesterday to a picture of the arcade flyer for the Breakers prototype 'Crystal Legacy'. I had seen the front of the flyer before but never the reverse and I thought it was quite interesting.

http://img63.imag...legacy.jpg

The story seems to revolve around collecting eight legendary relics. If you collect all the relics and also the Tenrin no Sho document you will gain the 'Tenrin no Chikara' power. Some of the characters names were different too like for example Tia was Shelly Tarlar, Condor was Red Gigars, Maherl was Sahj Mahal, Rila was Virgo Sandra, Dao-Long was Park Tong-Shin and Pielle was spelled correctly on the flyer as Pierre. One other thing is that the super meters were directly under the lifebars. Tia's clothing was also different. On the front of the flyer there's something written under Crystal Legacy which I can't quite make out something like 'Wrath of Dostar???'

I'm always keen to play some Breakers if anyone is interested.
Edited by merlin on 22. April 2010 15:03

NeoStrayCat
I would go for some Breakers sometime.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
1983parrothead
I've never played Breakers nor Breakers Revenge, but I will sometime later. I did some research about them. And yes, I found the front and back sides of the Tenrin no Syo: Crystal Legacy arcade flyer.

Here is the source:

http://castleofco...ress5.html

peiper
I have breakers revenge for a while now and never got around to try it...funny how i used to confuse it with karnov revenge Smile

LIFE_IN_2D
As pointed out by other members ; the strong point of this game is it's playability. The controls are tight and responsive then mechanics are not too shabby either. For these reasons I enjoy playing the game and unlike some Neo Geo games, I won't name them , one can tell the developers put much effort into making sure the game played solid.

Here's what really turns me off about this game: The characters. To put it quite bluntly... all the characters are pretty generic and dull to me. When I first played and I first got to the selection screen NONE of the fighters stood out and said "pick me, I look cool". They all seemed very unoriginal and had rushed designs. Eventually, I just had to settle on the ever-present shoto guy (Sho) because the other looked so god-damned lame to me.

I don't mean to piss all over anybodies hush-puppies, if you think this game has awesome characters, good for you. That means this game is nearly perfect, to you. This game is kinda sad to me because I seriously think in terms of playability this is one of the best titles on the Neo, but the characters just suck so bad.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 24. April 2010 19:01
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
As pointed out by other members ; the strong point of this game is it's playability. The controls are tight and responsive then mechanics are not too shabby either. For these reasons I enjoy playing the game and unlike some Neo Geo games, I won't name them , one can tell the developers put much effort into making sure the game played solid.

Here's what really turns me off about this game: The characters. To put it quite bluntly... all the characters are pretty generic and dull to me. When I first played and I first got to the selection screen NONE of the fighters stood out and said "pick me, I look cool". They all seemed very unoriginal and had rushed designs. Eventually, I just had to settle on the ever-present shoto guy (Sho) because the other looked so god-damned lame to me.

I don't mean to piss all over anybodies hush-puppies, if you think this game has awesome characters, good for you. That means this game is nearly perfect, to you. This game is kinda sad to me because I seriously think in terms of playability this is one of the best titles on the Neo, but the characters just suck so bad.

WOW, YOU PRETTY MUCH...
echoed my sentiments EXACTLY regarding the Breakers games. Spot on btw! I too think that the game itself, as a fighting game is spot-on - the gameplay is top-notch - literally. BUT, as 2D has already elaborated on, and I whole-heartedly agree... the characters are really poor. They're not really terrible or anything but, they're just boring and generic. Only characters I ever bothered to use properly were Sho & Dao Long - the latter being my favourite and the former I feel guilty for using as he is clearly the obvious and only real choice (Apart from Merlin... he use Alsion III Pfft ). The rest like Rila, Pielle, Maherl, Condor etc... just not for me. Sorry.

SOOO... awesome playabilty... gash cast!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
I've heard quite a few people say the same things as both 2D and the Ninja. Personally I love every last one of them and it's surprising to me that people don't like them. I think sometimes people are put off by the other characters and just stick to the likes of Dao Long, Tia, Sho but if you give the others a chance they may well grow on you. People often compare characters like Rila with Blanka, Alsion III with Dhalsim, Tia with Chun Li etc. but they do play significantly different and for me at least the Visco characters are much more fun to use.

As for the characters being generic and unoriginal well what about Maherl and Pielle? How many characters do you know in other fighting games who are similar? Avu in Martial Champion is a little bit like Maherl I suppose but whether you like them or not you'd have to say that Pielle and Maherl are quite original designs for fighting game characters.

There seem to be a lot of Sho users about which potentially can make things a little boring in versus mode. It's like loads of people using Ken online in SF4.

1983parrothead
Most people (especially Americans) say that this game is a Street Fighter II clone/ripoff/wannabe/whatever, mostly by judging it looks while they avoid playing it. I heard one person say that none of these characters play like the SFII cast.

Tia's projectile travels at a short distance, unlike Guile's Sonic Boom that travels across the screen. Her rapid kick attack don't function exactly like Chun-Li's Lightning Kick. Like Tia's projectile, Tia's rapid kick isn't spammable, either. Unlike Vega's/M.Bison's Psycho Crusher, Tia's flying attack has a magnetic effect that can keep her opponent attached to her, while her move finishes with an explosion.

Pielle is NOTHING like Balrog/Vega other than being narcists. People who claim so haven't used either one.

For Alsion being compared to Dhalsim, other than their stretchable bodies, none of their moves are equal.

For Rila being compared to Blanka, Blanka had no electric scratch attack, and Rila only rolled when she jumped. Unlike Blanka's bite attack (which is a normal attack), Rila's bite is a super attack.

Here is what Jap-Sai said about Breakers and Breakers Revenge. He also has the Neo-Geo CD version for sale, for those of you who are still trying to find it:

http://www.jap-sa...eakers.htm
Edited by 1983parrothead on 30. April 2010 09:47

LIFE_IN_2D
^
True I don't take breakers as a TOTAL SF2 ripp off, but there is no denying that Breakers (like many other games) was heavily influenced by SF2. This though, is easily looked over because the game itself is better than SF2, IMO. If nothing else... it plays better and looks better, IMO. So, not a complete Rip-off, but yes it obviously tries to emulate the SF2 formula. Most games that tried to rip-off SF2 were forgettable and failed hard, Breakers is far from a failure.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 30. April 2010 18:11
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

1983parrothead
But if most people like SF2 over later 2D fighters rip-offs, then how come most people I hear like Tekken over Virtua Fighter? Critics such as ScrewAttack like Virtua Fighter more, not only because it started the 3D-fighting genre, but also because they see what most gamers don't usually see in it: it's more SERIOUS than Tekken.

Jump to Forum: