Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 1769
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 13014 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite game, by system.
reelmojo
My friend and I had a conversation a few weeks ago about what our favorite games were for each system we've played. When I say favorite I mean by today's standards. For example, if you loved Tekken 3 but can't play it anymore because you like Tekken 5 so much better then perhaps Tekken 3 isn't your favorite Playstation game, even if it once was.

NES - Super Mario Bros 2. There's just something special about this game. Maybe it's the fact that it was a huge leap over SMB1, maybe it's the fact that it's gameplay has never been duplicated, or maybe it's true that the best game in the Mario series isn't a Mario game at all! Runners up: SMB3, Tecmo Super Bowl, Legend of Zelda, Kirby's Adventure.

Sega Genesis - Sonic and Knuckles. For a while the Sonic series got better with each installment. This was the last game to follow that trend (Knuckle's Chaotix doesn't measure up, and Sonic 3D Blast hardly counts as a Sonic game). Fantastic level design, amazing graphics for the time, and very interesting Lock-On technology. As a side note I have to say it looks pretty silly connecting S&K to Sonic 3 while playing on a Sega Nomad. Runners up: The other Sonic games, Streets of Rage 2... actually SoR2 might be tied with S&K.

SNES - Chrono Trigger. You can try to ignore the fanboys all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they're pretty much right. Few RPGs have ever reached the level of CT. I can't say much that hasn't already been said a million times, so I'll just say that if you like RPGs you need to play it. Runners up: Zelda: A Link to the Past, Umihara Kawase, Mega Man 7.

Playstation - Final Fantasy Tactics. Such a hard choice! But if any game is truly close to achieving perfection this is it. Engrossing storyline, beautiful sprite graphics, and insanely addictive gameplay. Runners up: Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: SOTN, Metal Gear Solid.

Saturn - Dark Savior. It's an Action RPG/Isometric Platformer. The storyline gets better and better the longer you play, building towards a shocking revelation near the end. The platforming sections are really fun once you get a hang of the controls, and the fights are an extremely unique strategy/fighting game hybrid. Runners up: NiGHTS, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Cop 2 (I own 2 Stunners so I play solo with 2 guns. Amazingly fun.)

Dreamcast - San Fransisco Rush 2049. It was so hard not to pick Shenmue! Like arcade style racing games? SFR2049 is the best. Period. One of my favorite games of all time. The Dreamcast conversion added so much to the arcade original that they might as well be two different games. Runners up: Shenmue, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III Third Strike, Sonic Adventure 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

Playstation 2 - Dragon Quest VIII. My favorite RPG ever. It feels like a classic RPG while adding just enough new age features to make it feel fresh too. Great characters, great storytelling... and about 90 hours worth of gameplay! Runners up: Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 4, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, MGS3: Snake Eater.

Gamecube - Mario Kart: Double Dash. Again with the arcadey racing games! I love Mario Kart, and Double Dash is definitely the best entry in the series so far. Daisy and Birdo FTW! Runner up: Zelda - Wind Waker (best of the 3D Zeldas IMO).

X-Box - Shenmue II. The best version of one of the best games ever made. The variety in gameplay here is astounding. One moment you'll be strolling along the streets of Hong Kong enjoying the scenery and actually feeling relaxed, the next moment you'll be using a lead pipe to "sword fight" a chainsaw wielding transsexual. Sequel please. Runners Up: Halo 1 & 2, MGS2: Substance.

Gameboy Advance - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I loves me some Metrovania, and this is my second favorite game in the series. Read on to find my favorite. Runners up: Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (best version of FF2 by far, which is surprisingly an amazing game), Zelda: Minish Cap, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon.

DS - Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. The soul system is definitely my favorite way of gaining abilities in any of these games, and this game perfects it. Also, the story is great and the gameplay is a rock solid as ever, if not more-so. It bares mentioning that this is the only game in history that I've beaten while limiting myself on what I'm allowed to use (once with no weapons, once with no weapons or armor... next up is weapons allowed but no souls unless required to continue... probably too hard.) Runners up: Rocket Slime, New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Portrait of Ruin, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Neo Geo - Waku Waku 7. Obviously. I love 2D fighters, and WW7 just has that something special that I can't quite put my finger on going for it. Runners up: Garou:MOTW, Pulstar (highly addictive, incredibly hard but never unfair... pretty much perfect game design), KoF '02.

RiKo
Nice topic Mojo. I haven't really been a 'proper' gamer since the Dreamcast but I will do my best. Fav game is first in each list, rest aren't in order.

BBC Micro (don't laugh!)- Exile, Elite, Revs, Thrust, Planetoid (best version of Defender!)
Amiga - Populous, Lemmings, Kick off 2, Player Manager, Elite (I like Elite), Lost Vikings, Shadow of the Beast (I'm a bit mad, I actually like this), Stunt Car Racer
PC - Command + Conquer (the most addictive game ever!)
Original Gameboy - Tetris and Mario Land
SNES - F-Zero , Streetfighter II, Mario Kart, Final Fight,, Mario World
Megadrive - Sonic the Hedgehog!! (simply amazing)
Playstation - (I love my PS! ) Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout 2097,Tomb Raider II, , Vigilante 8, Parappa, Vib Ribbon, Kulaworld, Devil Dice, Gran Turismo (my fav one!)
Dreamcast (is awesome) - Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue II, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis, Rez, SF III 3rd Stike
Xbox - Outrun 2, GTA : San Andreas, DOA Ultimate
PS2 - Tekken 5, Godhand, Devil May Cry 3, Ico, God of War 2, Guitaroo Man
GameCube - Resident Evil 4
X360 - Mirrors Edge, RE5 (haven't played on this console enough yet to choose really)

I haven't played a lot of 'classic' games on later consoles, so maybe they would be there if I had played them.

As for Neo Geo : Mark Of the Wolves, Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, Last Blade, Shock Troopers

I like that you are a Shenmue fan mojo. Shenmue (1) is probably my 2nd fav game ever!
Edited by RiKo on 12. June 2009 14:22
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
sukotsuto
Famicom: Double Dragon II - It's the first game I actually was able to finish back as a child!

Game Boy: Super Mario Land - A must-have for classic game boy

Super Famicom: Taekwondo - A Taekwondo fighting, and it's my most played SFC game ever. It's safe to say that this is one of the most balanced fighting game ever. You can even customize your character's movelist!
Regular gameplay: http://www.youtub...6MtFVKujXA
SPOILER: Awesome last boss - http://www.youtub...9BSPZWN0u0

PSone: Final Fantasy VIII - There is no other game that both got me really excited before release than I had with FFVIII. I played the demo everyday religiously, and when I finally got the game, it totally blew me away. Heck I can still play FFVIII from time to time up to now. Close runner-ups are Front Mission 3, Tales of Destiny II (aka Tales of Eternia) and Metal Gear Solid

Dreamcast: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Arcade-perfect conversion of the Jojo fighting game for the Dreamcast. The only thing it had missing was that cool story mode the PSone version had. It's one of the most unique fighting games ever, and it's so unusually deep, players from Japan are still finding new things about this game!
Match Video 1: http://www.youtub...lMMJadhM5k
Match Video 2: http://www.youtub...Tbyusae2CU

GC: Tales of Symphonia - The only game I play in the GameCube, and seeing as I'm a fan of the series, Tales of Symphonia may be the best or second best (depending on who you ask) "Tales of" game ever made. I miss playing the game again!

PS2: Garouden Breakblow : Fist or Twist - The ONLY game I've imported from Japan, and one of the best things I've ever did! I bought swap magic for the PS2 just so that I can play what I deem the best fighting game ever. Ever since I played this game, 3D fighting games had never been the same for me, and I keep coming back to this game to truly satiate my fighting game appetite. I had the best time with co-workers with this game as well Pfft
Opening: http://www.youtub...v6ktnwhAWI
Izumi Souichiro: http://www.youtub...hSBTwWDwXo
Awesome (hard to do and situational) combo: http://www.youtub...vBY5X0IPLE

GBC: Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Ages/Seasons - The main reason to get GBC at the time Pfft

GBA: Gunstar Super Heroes - 'nuff said

Neo Geo Pocket: SNK VS Capcom : The Match of the Millennium - Best NGPC game for me, although the card game comes a close second. NGPC always did do the fighting games right, unlike the other handhelds at the time.

DS: Advance Wars : Days of Ruin - I love how I spent hundreds of hours playing Advance Wars game series. Each new iteration to the series means a new addiction for me!

PSP: Castlevania : The Dracula X Chronicles - The best classic Castlevania (Rondo of Blood) and its 3D remake and the best "metroidvania" Castlevania (Symphony of the Night), all in one package! This is a dream come true for me!

Xbox 360: Battlefield : Bad Company - The most unique and fun realistic FPS I've ever played. Not only do I do unusually well in this game (Compared to most FPS games), I love everything about it! The likeable "Bad Company", the destructable environments, the surf music soundtrack and extremely large, strategic maps! Left 4 Dead is a runner up here (dammit my bro's friend haven't given that back yet!).

PS3: Disgaea 3 - I love the Disgaea series for many reasons, and I'd also spend hours grinding away in NIS America's games!
Edited by sukotsuto on 13. June 2009 03:29

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
merlin
Nice idea for a thread and some interesting lists so far. I've always wanted to play Chrono Trigger on the Snes because I've heard so many good things about it. I'll definitely be picking this up at some point.

Ok here's my list. The ones in bold lettering are my favorites and the others are in no particular order.

Nes - Battle of Olympus - Legend of Zelda, Solar Jetman, Mario 3, Double Dragon 2, Solstice

Snes - Knights of the Round - The King of Dragons, Magic Sword, F-Zero, Zelda, Super Mario World

Master System - Thunderblade - Wonderboy in Monsterland, Aztec Adventure, Ghost House, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Chase HQ

Mega Drive - Sword of Vermillion - Faery Tale Adventure, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, James Pond 3, Streets of Rage 2

Saturn - Dungeons and Dragons collection - DonPachi, Tenchi wo Kurau 2, After Burner 2, Layer Section, Cotton 2

PS2 - Guilty Gear XXAC+ - Hokuto no Ken, Sengoku Basara X, The Rumble Fish, Street Fighter Zero Fighter's Generation

PS3 - BlazBlue - Battle Fantasia

Neo Geo - Samurai Shodown IV - Breakers, Kizuna Encounter, Twinkle Star Sprites, Magician Lord, Crossed Swords

Wonderswan - Makaimura - Golden Axe, Guilty Gear Petit 2

PC - The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion - The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, Sea Dogs, Stalker Clear Sky, Boiling Point, Dungeon Siege 2
Edited by merlin on 12. June 2009 17:43

Midian
Neo Geo: Matrimelee. Even though I always said Garou: Mark of the Wolves when being asked for best Neo Geo game, I'm seriously going for Matrimelee 100% now. I love this game. MotW is a great follow up though.

NES: Kirby's Adventure. I don't have a whole lot for my NES as of now and I have never played it as much as other people, but I absolutely love this title. Runner ups would be Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 and Contra (thought it's released as shitty Probotector here).

SNES: Lufia II. My favorite SNES RPG and one of my favorite RPGS ever, I think the gameplay, graphics, music and storyline are fantastic and not even Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV and VI are gonna beat that, even though I love those titles too. Breath of Fire II

Nintendo 64: Don't have a big opinion as I only recently got one and I don't have many games yet, or have played for it, but I absolutely love Snowboard Kids and Ocarina of Time, Mega Man X, A Link to the Past and Harvest Moon are also great games.

Sega Master System: Only Alex Kidd in Miracle world. I don't care much for the Master System at all, but this game is awesome.

Sega Megadrive: Streets of Rage 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (haven't played 3 or Knuckles yet). Again, haven't played much Sega games but I love these ones.

Gameboy/Gameboy Color: Zelda: Link's Awakening. One of my first Zelda's I've played, and also still one of my favorites. I recently bought a Gameboy Color again so I can get this game and play it on the actual thing. Runner ups are Donkey Kong Land, the other Zelda's, Pokemon Silver/Gold and Super Mario Land.

Gameboy Advance: Golden Sun, great game, and I still prefer this one to Golden Sun 2. I also love Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and the Boktai games for GBA.

Playstation: This is a tie between Suikoden II and Final Fantasy IX as I love both games a whole lot, but Suikoden II wins. Also favorites are Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire III etc.

Playstation 2: A tie again between Suikoden V, Final Fantasy X or God of War II and of course Guilty Gear Accent Core if ports are being considered too.

Playstation 3: For now Killzone 2, just got this one recently and I also really love the Darkness and Heavenly Sword, and Devil May Cry 4 is great too.

PSP: God of War: Chain of Olympus, Gitaroo Man.

DS: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin, the Ace Attorney games, Suikoden Tierkreis, Lunar Knights.

PC: Half-Life 2, Serious Sam, Call of Duty4, Quake IV, Doom III, Left 4 Dead, Simon the Sorcerer II.

Edit: Forgot the GameCube: Tales of Symphonia is probably my favorite game for this system, followed by Baten Kaitos, The Wind Waker and Skies of Arcadia Legends.
Edited by Midian on 12. June 2009 17:59
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

reelmojo
Wow, a lot of interesting choices so far. Midian, I just got into the Suikoden series with the PSN release of the original. I'm really hoping they put Suikoden 2 on their as well since I've heard many great things about it. Also, I'm glad you brought up Lunar Knights. It seems not too many people play it which is a shame because it's really good.

Also, sukotsuto, I must say that Garouden Breakblow looks amazing! I've never seen a 3D fighter with such fluid animation before. Looks like I have another game on my list for when I finally get a Japanese PS2 or Swap Magic.

Midian
reelmojo wrote:
Wow, a lot of interesting choices so far. Midian, I just got into the Suikoden series with the PSN release of the original. I'm really hoping they put Suikoden 2 on their as well since I've heard many great things about it. Also, I'm glad you brought up Lunar Knights. It seems not too many people play it which is a shame because it's really good.

Also, sukotsuto, I must say that Garouden Breakblow looks amazing! I've never seen a 3D fighter with such fluid animation before. Looks like I have another game on my list for when I finally get a Japanese PS2 or Swap Magic.

!

I didn't know they were selling Suikoden on PSN now! I MUST get that then. I've only been able to play it on emulator, and an actual copy is pretty hard to find. How much does it cost?

And yes, Lunar Knights is awesome. I only wish they didn't call Django Aaron and turn him into a douchebag. Grin
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

NeoGeoNinja
This could be the best thread EVER?

However, to do this right I'll need a little time, which isn't available right now, BUT I have noticed... I HAVE read AND I shall return...

MMWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! *Ahem*

Ninja

cthulhu
NES: Megaman 2, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Faxanadu.

GBA: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Sword of Mana, Pinball of the Dead.

Atari Lynx: Zarlor Mercenary, Dracula the Undead, Ninja Gaiden.

Sega Game Gear: Devilish, Gunstar Heroes...sorry haven't played the Game Gear a lot.

Sega Megadrive: Devil Crash MD, Bare Knuckle II: Shitou no Chinkon Uta, Splatterhouse Part 2.

Sega Mega-CD: Snatcher, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Time Gal.

Sega Saturn: Fantastic Pinball Kyutenkai, Dark Seed, Dark Savior.

Sega Dreamcast: The House of the Dead 2, Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate,
Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

PC Engine: Akumajo Dracula X: Chi No Rondo, Winds of Thunder, Dead of the Brain 1 & 2.

Neo-Geo AES: Waku Waku 7, Twinkle Star Sprites, Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2: The New Comers.

Neo-Geo Pocket Color: Metal Slug 2nd Mission, Dark Arms - Beast Buster 1999, Puzzle Bobble Mini.

Playstation: Biohazard, Devilman, Metal Gear Solid.

Playstation 2: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus.

PSP: Goku Makaimura, Patapon, Locoroco.

Arcade: Guwange, DeathSmiles, Hokuto No Ken.

Pinball Machines: Tales from the Crypt, Tales of the Arabian Nights, The Twilight Zone...just had to mention some Pinball Machines.
Edited by cthulhu on 13. June 2009 09:49
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
OK THEN...

This is the most PAINFUL list I've ever had to compile ever!!

I've created a STANDALONE WINNER per console, but can't resist the honourable mentions. Seriously though, they ALL deserve it!

Atari2600: JR Pacman
Runners Up: Dark Chambers, Moon Patrol, Galaxian, Defender 2 & Combat

ColecoVision: Zaxxon
Runners Up: Looping, LadyBug & DonkeyKong

Commodore 64: Robocop2 (cartridge)
Runners Up: Shadow of the Beast (heh... cartridge) & Midnight Resistance

Commodore Amiga: IK+
Runners Up: Shadow Warriors, Dynamite Dux, NARC & Chase HQ

NintendoEntertainmentSystem: Double Dragon 2
Runners Up: Ninja Gaiden, CastleVania, Double Dragon1 & Blue Shadow

MasterSystem: Shinobi
Runners Up: Predator 2 & Sonic1 (it's all about Jungle Zone!)

GameBoy: Double Dragon
Runners Up: R-Type DX & Skate or Die

GameBoyAdvance(SP!): CastleVania: Circle of the Moon
Runners Up: KOF EX2 & Ninja Cop

GameGear: GG Shinobi (& GGS2!)
Runners Up: Ninja Gaiden & Fantasy Zone

NeoGeoPocket (colour): Snk vs Capcom MOTM
KOF R2 & Metal Slug (1st & 2nd)

MegaDrive: Revenge of Shinobi
Runners Up: RoboCop vs Terminator, Terminator, Fatal Fury (*ahem* Truxton, SOR2, Alien Storm etc the list is HUGE!)

SuperNES: Starwing
Runners Up: UN Squadron, SuperProbotector, Super Aleste, Castlevania 4, MK2... about another 100 games too!!! ALL TOP NOTCH!!!

AtariJaguar: Tempest 2000
Runners Up: AvP, Doom, Wolf3D & IronSoldier

Panasonic3DO: Killing Time
Runners Up: Another World, FlashBack, Phoenix3, StarControl2, & SnowJob

Playstation: TIE: Ridge Racer Revolution & Rage Racer
Tobal2, Tekken2, RType Delta, Gradius Gaiden & Zanac x Zanac (to name but VERY few here!)

Saturn: Battle Garegga
Runners Up (not including the REST of my entire JP Shump collection)... MSHvsSFighter, PDragoon2, SegaRally, VF2... and FMegamix... and Last Bronx... and... well, big list!

N64: Doom64
Runners Up: WaveRace, SanFranRush, Turok1, BlastCorps, PilotWings64, PDark... and so on!

Playstation 2: Gradius V & Virtua Fighter 4
Runners Up: There are no 'runners up'... there are about another 100 games worthy of being my fave. These two have history and impact... that's the only reason their there! I bought my PS2 the day VF4 came out. Still my Fave VF ever and 1st time I played Gradius V, I nearly cried. That GOOD!

DreamCast: ShenMue
Runners Up: THE REST of my entire DC collection... I'm not f*cking kidding either... IMMMENSE is the DC's library... about 100+ games are easily worthy of being my fave game on this console!!! I chose Shenmue as it took over my entire life after I got into it... I'd NEVER experienced that before. Truly amazing and IMO still unsurpassed... Yakuza was pretty close though!

GameCube: TIE: Resident Evil & Resident Evil 4 (genuinely love these both equally!)
Runners Up: 1080 Avalanche, Metroid Prime, Killer 7, REZero & Twilight Princess

SO THEN...
Giving answers for: PS1, PS2, SAT, DC, SNES & MD... very nearly impossible. Especially PS1, PS2 & DC! I own nearly 200 games for my PS2... every game for a reason. There's very little 'fat' there! Same with the DC too. I have faves for SAT, SNES & MD... BUT only by a hairs breadth!

This took TIME to compile too... as I'm sure everyones did!

Ninja

reelmojo
Midian wrote:I didn't know they were selling Suikoden on PSN now! I MUST get that then. I've only been able to play it on emulator, and an actual copy is pretty hard to find. How much does it cost?
Brace yourself. It's $5.99. In fact only two of the PSOne Classics cost more than that. The $9.99 games are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (presumably to keep it the same price as the XBLA version) and Final Fantasy VII. I'm hoping eventually we'll be able to download most if not all of the PS1 catalog. I'm really hoping to see Suikoden II, Dragon Warrior VII, and Final Fantasy VIII on there because those are three great RPGs that I've never owned. Of course there's a whole bunch of other games I'd pick up without a second thought too for that price. I'm actually gonna have to see if there's a way I can access the Japanese PSN store because there's bound to be games on there that I'd want on my PSP, Angel Eyes for example.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:DreamCast: ShenMue
Runners Up: THE REST of my entire DC collection... I'm not f*cking kidding either... IMMMENSE is the DC's library... about 100+ games are easily worthy of being my fave game on this console!!! I chose Shenmue as it took over my entire life after I got into it... I'd NEVER experienced that before. Truly amazing and IMO still unsurpassed... Yakuza was pretty close though!
*hugs you... creepily*

I had no idea you shared my love of Shenmue! I have a friend who makes fun of me because like every new game we play I mention at least one thing in it that reminds me of Shenmue. The biggest one being QTEs of course. The God of War developers should be sending Yu Suzuki money.

You also mentioned Fighters Megamix and Last Bronx. If you were like me I'll bet you wanted to see FM2 as soon as you played Last Bronx. And if they did it now it'd be even more legendary. Virtua Fighter vs. Fighting Vipers vs. Last Bronx with guest characters Ryo Hazuki, Lan Di, Beat, Gum, NiGHTS... yeah I'm a shameless Sega fanboy.
Edited by reelmojo on 13. June 2009 15:44

phry
Wow, this is a pretty epic thread here. Well here goes my list. Perhaps these aren't the greatest games on each system, but are favourites nevertheless. Replaying games might change this list in the future, though these have certainly been the most memorable for me.

Atari 2660 - Asteroids - uninterrupted blasting, what's not to love
c64 - The Last Ninja - even though I could never get past stage 5 (damn that feckin samurai statue! lol)
Master System - Castle of Illusion - I never had many MS games but played this one to death
Mega Drive/Genesis - Rocket Knight Adventures - Just one glorious set-piece after another. (SoR2 was soo close though)
SNES - Starwing - It may look like triangles now but it's still frickin' awesome imo
PS1 - Bushido Blade - Such fun times limping on the floor with a hacked-up leg
N64 - Perfect Dark - Despite that silly little alien dude
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Still feels epic imo
Neo Geo - Garou MOTW - Need I say more
PS2 - Silent Hill 2 - So many games to consider here, certainly a tough pick, though this is the one I re-played the most
GBA - Zelda: Link to the Past - I know it's another SNES game technically but I had to include this classic somehow
PC - Half Life 2 - Even though I've not played episode 2 yet
Xbox - Outrun 2 - The only Xbox original I still have, and still play it regularly
Gamecube - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Although Resi 4 was sooo close
Xbox 360 - Mass Effect - It may be flawed but it had me hooked like no other game of this generation so far (even though I'm a Gears of War whore lol)

It's good to see a wide variety of opinions on this topic, and is certainly making me want to dust of a few classics again. Who knows, a re-discovery may change this list in the future.
Edited by phry on 18. June 2009 14:24

THX-1138
NES- Super Mario Bros 3
SNES- Chrono Trigger
Game Boy- Pokemon
N64- Ocarina Of Time
GameCube- Timesplitters 2
DS- Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow
Wii- Super Mario Galaxy

Master System- Alex Kidd In Miracle World
Mega Drive- Sonic 2
Mega CD- Snatcher
Saturn- Guardian Heroes
Dreamcast- Shenmue

Playstation- MGS
Playstation 2- KOF XI
PSP- Lumines 2
Playstation 3- MGS4

Neo Geo- Last Blade 2
PC Engine- Dracula X
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

NeoGeoNinja
THX-1138 wrote:
Playstation 2- KOF XI

Nice choice! Super underrated entry into the series... glad you 'appreciate' Thumbs Up

THX-1138
I'd say it's the best one.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

RiKo
This thread reminds me that I need to go back and check the results of the 'best game ever' thread. I forgot about that, sorry.

Nice choices THX. I like your PS1 (MGS) and Dreamcast (Shenmue) choices best!

Very much agree with Phry on his Xbox choice - Outrun 2. I can download Outrun HD now, so I will have to get too it. Outrun 2 on Xbox only cost me something like 7.99 in GAME. One thing I don't miss about the old days is the prices!

STE C
I shall keep this short but may do another one in more depth one day

DC Shenmue 1-2 , Capcom vs SNK , Under Defeat, Gigawing 2 , Headhunter

Megadrive Gley Lancer, Super Shinobi, Thunderforce 3, Crying, , Whip Rush

Pc Engine Gunhead , Super Star Soldier, Override, Pc Kid 2, Parasol Stars

Saturn Xmen vs Streetfighter , Last Bronx, Duke Nukem, Marvel Superheroes, Sega Rally

Master System , Kung Fu Kid , Wonderboy, Choplifter, Fantasy Zone, Alex Kid Shinobe World

Speccy The Great Escape , Manic Miner , Styx, Underwurlde, Zynaps & all other Hewson games

I was never much of a Nintendo man so no list but i would say Super Mario World & Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Super Tennis, Never liked the N64 although i own them both I was always Sega in the 80s/early 90s

RiKo
Great list STE - I really like Great Escape, and Manic Miner too on Speccy. I am liking all the people who like Shenmue too Smile Surely you forgot Sonic the Hedgehog on Megadrive though? Smile - definitely my favourite for the system. It still looks and plays amazing as well.

Eggy
n64-zelda oot of course. got it for christmas in 2001 and took me months to finish(hey, I was just 11 years old!). wonderful game, best game ever.
ps: haven't played too many games for it, but it's ff 7, and other games probably won't change that.
snes:ff 6, has wonderful story, music and charas(haven't played chrono trigger yet, I don't know it it's better)
xbox 36:eternal sonata. I just love the music and the japanese voice actors. I know not many won't agree, but I got my xbox in 2008 and haven't played all the great games. if you want something more mainstream, I'd go for forza 2, racing has never been so much fun. although fun isn't the right word. I start some music from a usb stick, start driving and to be honest, I'm mostly listening to the music, the driving comes automatically because I drive with the green line enabled(how is this called in english? ideal line?).
saturn: panzer dragoon 2. but I haven't played any rpg's on the saturn yet. pd 2 has wonderful music and the levels are great.
dreamcast: skies of arcadia. I love the setting, and the story is interesting as well. I didn't choose shenmue because I don't like it that much. I mean, come on! 50% of the game consist of waiting for something to happen!
gamecube: tales of symphonia. great battle system, wonderful music and story.
neo geo:last blade. great characters, music and battle system
I also have an nes and a genesis, but I can't comment on these because I only have 3 games for the nes and 2 for the genesis(wich are, by the way, both sonic games)
ps: I know I'm a bit fixed on the music^^"
card.mygamercard.net/DE/DerWahreEGGY.png

zockerseele.de.tl
reelmojo
With this thread being a year and a half old now I thought it might be fun to look back to see if any of our choices have changed. I know I've discovered new games since I made my list, but are any of them legendary enough to shake things up? It'd be nice to read opinions from some new users as well.

Now onto my changes... or should I say change? I only have one change to make, but I'm going to add new systems to my list too.

Sega Genesis - Gunstar Heroes. I discovered it on XBLA, played it to death, and still didn't think twice about buying the original Genesis release. I love run 'n gun shooters, and this one is just epic beyond compare. The game is perfect from beginning to end... and if you knew me you'd know I mean it since it knocked off Sonic and Knuckles which I've counted as my favorite Genesis game since the first day I played it!

XBox 360 - Shadow Complex. I'm not trying to go against logic by picking an XBLA game on purpose. I just couldn't bring myself to type anything else. This is what Metroid: Other M should have been and it is at least every bit as good as any other game of it's style. Maybe my opinion will change and I'll put a retail game on top later, but for now the best 360 game IMO only costs $15. Runners up: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Battle Fantasia, Final Fantasy XIII, Darksiders.

PSP - Dissidia: Final Fantasy. There are admittedly fewer truly outstanding games in my PSP collection, but that doesn't mean Dissidia isn't great. The innovative and fun battle system lets even gamers who don't like fighting games jump right in. The RPG like leveling up and item systems ensure there is always something to do. And did I mention there's a metric ton of fan service? Runners up: Crisis Core, Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, Guilty Gear Judgment.

Sega Master System - Golden Axe Warrior. Like 2D Zelda and Golden Axe? Then you've come to the right place. There were a few Zelda clones back in the 8-bit days, but GAW is the only one to completely improve upon Zelda 1 in every single way. Many of its features were even borrowed by Zelda 3. And the references to Golden Axe will make any fan smile. Runners up: Wonder Boy III, Master of Darkness, Sonic Blast.

That's it for now. I had a few other games on my mind that almost made me make more changes, but I just couldn't do it. Little Samson, Beyond Good and Evil, and Super Metroid are amazing games, but I just couldn't knock off their competitors.

And as a side note, Eggy, even though your post is over a year old I still feel the need to respond and say Eternal Sonata is a great game! I think the story is a little lacking, especially near the end, but everything else is fantastic. The artistic design in particular needs to be commended. I played it directly after playing FFXIII and while it's not graphically better on a technical level by any means the artistic design made it even more beautiful than it's major budget competitor. I think my jaw dropped at just about every new area I came to.

Jump to Forum: