Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 1761
Thread Info
There are 102 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 22003 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What is the Best Game ever?
reelmojo
Due to the resurgence of this thread I decided to look back to page one and see what my choice was.

Yep. Four years later and my opinion hasn't wavered. Of course, now I own a pristine CIB copy of it too!

bookofnerds.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/super_mario_bros_2_boxfront-1.jpg

shion
SMB2, really? That game was kinda creepy to play as a little kid. I know my sister really didn't like those masks that chase you when you get a key... I wasn't thrilled about the overall design nor direction, but I played the hell out of it (back in the day, you played the games your parents bought you/you bought, because that's all there was).

I had a feeling someone was going to name drop MGS. I had a chance to play a good part of it a couple years ago, after all the hype had subsided. Although I won't deny it's bordering between good/great (a lot of great gameplay ideas executed bumblingly), I didn't see the 'genius' praises critics back in the day threw at Kojima & Yoshioka. There are major, major camera and control problems (enough to affect enjoyment). The stealth is okay, not as realistic as some games today ó and in that actual 32-bit generation (Tenchu says, 'hi' ).

Didn't mean to crash your parties, but yeah. Smile
Edited by shion on 29. September 2013 03:39

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
cthulhu
I absolutey hated SMB2's ending.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
Ha, a lot of people did. But then again, NES platformers with satisfying endings can probably be counted on one hand (Kirby's Adventure is literally the only one that comes to mind right now). It's all about the gameplay, not the final cut scene, and in that aspect SMB2's final level is epic as hell.

RiKo
Cthulhu wrote :- My favorite game of that era has to be Joust...played it on a cab a few weeks ago and I have it on the Atari Lynx. Really simple but responsive controls and extremely addictive, I really love it.

Yes great game, never played the arcade version but used to love that on my BBC Micro, especially 2 player games where you had to fight for the eggs!

Everyone's choices are noted and nice to see some debate over the games. Thumbs Up I haven't played SMB2 so I can't comment. My favourite Mario is still the original Super Mario Bros though! I prefer it to SM World, which I thought was a little over-stretched and over-complicated. I think Mario worked best as a simpler game. SM World was still a great game though.

I am changing my choice to Super Street Fighter 4 : AE. Despite not originally enjoying SF4 that much intitially, I now think it's the best game ever. I've played it for about 2 years now on a regular basis, and spent more time on it than any other game ever. I really like how the gameplay system is simple but complicated at the same time. I just wish I was better at it. I'm still crap at combos, apart from the most basic ones. In one player mode however I think Breakers Revenge edges it.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
1983parrothead
There are different favorites at different times, but if I had to pick a favorite that lasts, then the PC game OutPost 2: Divided Destiny probably fits all. It's so addictive, it even improved my multitasking skills. A close second is any Super Smash Bros. title.

Here is its trailer:

http://www.youtub...rHKpp0PhTI
Edited by 1983parrothead on 02. October 2013 11:20

merlin
Murikov wrote:
So let's put in my 2 cents in here; Thief: The Dark Project for me. No doubts.

Great choice Murikov! I love that game. Currently I'm playing through Thief 3.

I would like to change my vote to Knights of the Round. No other video game has impressed me as much as this game. Definitely worthy of the title 'the best game ever'. I've spent many enjoyable hours playing KOTR in arcades this year.

Sebastian Mihai, a member of NGFL, has created a nice page about this game.

http://www.sebast...n.php?t=70

RiKo
Merlin is too modest to say but he 1CC'ed Knights of The Round in Japan this year. Awesome!

I will write a new list up in a bit.

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:

Merlin is too modest to say but he 1CC'ed Knights of The Round in Japan this year. Awesome!

I will write a new list up in a bit.

Indeed! The only Arcade game I've ever 1 CC'ed is DeathSmiles...it's the easiest game I've got...oh yeah also 1 CC'ed Mortal Kombat II, but that's not a big achievement.
My arcade stuff

merlin
Thanks RiKo. I had done it before on Mame but this was the first time on original hardware in an arcade so it really meant a lot to me.

Good idea resurrecting this thread RiKo. Nice to see you thought Breakers is the best in single player mode. Thumbs Up

Well done 1ccing DeathSmiles Cthulhu. I might give that a try myself in the future.

cthulhu
merlin wrote:
Well done 1ccing DeathSmiles Cthulhu. I might give that a try myself in the future.

Thanks, but it's not really a big achievement...it's Cave's easiest game by far.
My arcade stuff

RiKo
Here is the updated list Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64) is the only game voted for more than once - actually 3 times now.

Carmen - Psyvariar 2 (PS2, Dreamcast?)
Reelmojo - Super Maro Bros 2 (NES)
Powerwave - Breakers (Neo Geo)
Nadanova - Castlevania 4
Robotron - Zanac (NES)
Merlin - Knights Of The Round (Arcade)
Riko - Street Fighter IV : AE (Multi)
Midian - Sukioden II (PlayStation)
Ste C - Shao Lins Road (Arcade)
Wild Tengu - Garou : MOTW (Neo Geo)
Viktorh - The Vanished Omens (SMS)
The Eccentric Cat - Chrono Cross (PlayStation)
Cthulhu - Pong (Arcade)
NeoGeoNinja - Resident Evil (GC) & Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Sukotsuto - Garouden Breakblow : Fist or Twist (PS2)
Mr Vengeance - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
THX-1138 - Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)
Vexan - King of Fighters (Neo Geo)
ArcadeMatt - Shinobi (Sega System 16 PC)
TobalMan - Zelda : Ocarina of Timee
Murikov - Thief: The Dark Project
Sensi - Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
SeanMallon4Life - The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
1983parrothead - OutPost2 : Divided Destiny

I was watching a video of Sukotsuto's choice earlier Garouden Breakblow : Fist or Twist (PS2) looks really good, very visceral

Murikov
merlin wrote:

Murikov wrote:
So let's put in my 2 cents in here; Thief: The Dark Project for me. No doubts.

Great choice Murikov! I love that game. Currently I'm playing through Thief 3.

Hey Merlin, if you're up for more Thief glory you should check out The Dark Mod, a former Doom 3 mod which is now standalone and free (since the Doom 3 engine is open source). I've played some custom missions earlier and it's great so far!

YouTube Video

i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
Murikov wrote:

Hey Merlin, if you're up for more Thief glory you should check out The Dark Mod, a former Doom 3 mod which is now standalone and free (since the Doom 3 engine is open source). I've played some custom missions earlier and it's great so far!

Thank you for mentioning that Murikov! I had never actually heard of The Dark Mod before but it looks very promising. Downloading it now. Smile

shion
When the tally is presented, it's interesting to see most are solo adventures. I wonder what the younger gamers would define as a game to stand the test of time? Would a 'must' be online multiplayer? (I think so)

Somewhat related, I was delighted to see someone bring up an SMS game. Smile I am growing affection toward that system as of late; there are a lot of diamonds in the rough, speaking as an American who knew nothing about it until a few years ago. Ys is great, but if I could only choose one SMS game, I think it would be Golden Axe Warrior (Not to confuse you Riko, don't change my vote). Smile

Edit: aww, reelmojo, I momentarily forgot about Wonderboy III (Long work week, I guess)! I too, would definitely be struggling between the two. Smile
Edited by shion on 12. October 2013 23:15

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
reelmojo
I think Golden Axe Warrior Vs. Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap will probably always be a battle in my mind. I can't pick a favorite! Master of Darkness is another one to look into if you're looking for recommendations.

It strikes me as odd that considering the median age of NGFL members there are only two NES games on the list (one of which I've never played!). While I'm not about the change my choice, some of these choices are games that I have absolutely no argument against. Metal Gear Solid and Garou:MOTW in particular are probably very close to the top of my personal list as well. This thread is also giving me a small list of new games that I have to try out sooner than later. I have no earthly idea why I have never played Thief. It looks incredible.

merlin
reelmojo wrote:
I have no earthly idea why I have never played Thief. It looks incredible.

It is incredible. I'm sure you would love it Reelmojo. If you decide to give it a go I would recommend getting it on Steam because it's difficult to get the original disc version working on newer operating systems.

Murikov
reelmojo wrote:
This thread is also giving me a small list of new games that I have to try out sooner than later. I have no earthly idea why I have never played Thief. It looks incredible.

The game's absolutely worth the ~20 hours it takes to play it through on 'Expert'. I've rarely experienced a comparable atmosphere, sound effects, storyline, artwork and even cutscenes in other games before. I agree with Merlin that Thief Gold at Steam is the version to go nowadays.

merlin wrote:
Thank you for mentioning that Murikov! I had never actually heard of The Dark Mod before but it looks very promising. Downloading it now. Smile

Merlin, if you already downloaded it please do yourself a favor and get the Mission Requiem. After playing it through I dare to say this one absolutely matches Looking Glass Studios quality. I've heard that Return to the City, Heart of Lone Salvation, In the North or Albericís Curse are very good too.

Also, don't forget to enable the bow crosshair in the gameplay settings, to make it like in Thief 1-3. By the way, if you experience any blurred textures etc. you may rename the installation folder into darkmod (if it isn't already) and delete the old Darkmod.cfg file, which may have been falsely adjusted before the game was uploaded by the devs.

Enjoy!
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Daggerfall - This game is absolutely massive. Never been lost in a game, for years.

Also, I'm thinking about trying The Dark Mod, looks awesome.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Sensi
Isn't Thief outdated as a action-adventure, released in the late 90's ?
Don't get me wrong, I play a lot of old school games (otherwise I wouldn't be here). But some games don't stand the sands of time if you know what I mean. I'm eager to play the game but I'm afraid it will be a disappointment. I love these kind of games, just like stealth as a feature. After googling, I see there is coming Thief for the next generation consoles (maybe a remake?).
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

Jump to Forum: