Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 1761
Thread Info
There are 102 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 21836 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What is the Best Game ever?
Murikov
Sensi wrote:

Isn't Thief outdated as a action-adventure, released in the late 90's ?
Don't get me wrong, I play a lot of old school games (otherwise I wouldn't be here). But some games don't stand the sands of time if you know what I mean. I'm eager to play the game but I'm afraid it will be a disappointment. I love these kind of games, just like stealth as a feature. After googling, I see there is coming Thief for the next generation consoles (maybe a remake?).

From a nowadays standpoint and after looking how few humble polygons the ingame models actually have, you could say Thief 1 is a bit outdated from a technical view. But there are still several factors to consider through before judging a first person game released 14 years ago:

- Remember the era between 1993 and 1998 and think of the proceedings from a technical view. While Doom still used pseudo-3D graphics with 2D sprites in 1993, it was Quake in 1996 that finally offered real 3D environments with real 3D models. It was at that point in time where huge leaps were made in terms of programming and first person shooters finally began to look gorgeous. And not all developers were even so far that they were ready to use real 3D graphics engines, think of 3D Realms' Shadow Warrior from 1997. Half Life, Unreal and Thief were all three released in 1998, only two years after real 3D environments even were made possible!

- Secondly Thief was in development for a pretty long time, its development actually started in 1996 as well. The project has been renamed, re-designed and re-written for countless times, see here for more. It's also worth mentioning that Looking Glass Studios even developed their very own engine, just at a time when Valve, Epic Games or iD were crafting together their own (upgraded) graphics engines.

- Furthermore Thief was one of the games that defined the stealth genre as a whole, offering countless features like hiding away bodies, sound recogninition by enemies, hiding in shadows or distracting enemies. Countless of following games have directly and indirectly copied such features from the first Thief; I don't need to bring up examples.

Nonetheless I really can recommend you to take a look at Thief 1 if you haven't already. Even if it's not a milestone in terms of graphical presentation, it absolutely still is in gameplay and storytelling. Give it a chance.

Oh, and the new Thief (Thief 4) is actually going to be a reboot of the series, including next-gen-friendly features like a foolproof focus mode, achievements, experience points for not stealthy-gameplay and a re-designed, gothish Garrett. Not quite that what fans of the series were hoping for. :/
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
Thanks for the recommendations and tips Murikov. I will definitely check out those missions you mentioned. The Dark Mod is awesome. I can see myself spending a lot of time on it.

I do think people who are new to Thief should play through the original game first (preferably all 3) before starting on The Dark Mod.

Sensi considering you play a lot of old school games and the stealth aspect appeals to you I'd say it's very unlikely you would be disappointed by Thief. The gameplay definitely has stood the test of time. The graphics really impressed me when I first played this and I still think they look nice.

One thing that's very entertaining about the Thief games is hearing the enemies talk such as listening to guards having conversations and also the things they say when you're hiding in the shadows and they're searching for you.

smccd
For me, it's definitely Knights of the Round (arcade). That game scores a 10 out of 10 on all fronts.

I noticed it's merlin's favourite game as well. Coincidentally, I've updated the write-up I did on Knights of the Round to include more screenshots, enemies, and a stage-by-stage presentation here: http://sebastianm...d-memories

If there's one arcade game you should play from the late 80s-early 90s era, it should be this one! Smile

merlin
Great choice smccd. Thumbs Up I like your Knights of the Round page and good to see you've added more to it. I like the stage descriptions and the part listing the different enemies and giving some info about them. Like you say the art and music are excellent and when you know how to use all the different moves effectively and have mastered blocking and countering the gameplay feels really satisfying. The scoring system where you earn bonus points from killing multiple enemies of the same type in sequence was a great idea. The boss battles are very exciting too. I've had some really epic fights against Muramasa and Garibaldi in the arcades this year.

Good to see you've also beaten the game on one credit. Definitely not an easy game. I like how you used chestnuts from a nearby park as a substitute when the joystick ball top was missing in your local arcade! In the '90s the arcades near me didn't have KOTR so I discovered the game much later than you only playing it for the first time in 2008.

smccd
merlin wrote:

Great choice smccd. Thumbs Up I like your Knights of the Round page and good to see you've added more to it. I like the stage descriptions and the part listing the different enemies and giving some info about them. Like you say the art and music are excellent and when you know how to use all the different moves effectively and have mastered blocking and countering the gameplay feels really satisfying. The scoring system where you earn bonus points from killing multiple enemies of the same type in sequence was a great idea. The boss battles are very exciting too. I've had some really epic fights against Muramasa and Garibaldi in the arcades this year.

Good to see you've also beaten the game on one credit. Definitely not an easy game. I like how you used chestnuts from a nearby park as a substitute when the joystick ball top was missing in your local arcade! In the '90s the arcades near me didn't have KOTR so I discovered the game much later than you only playing it for the first time in 2008.

Thanks! Smile

The setting was 3 lives for a credit back where I played it. I remember even now the progression of the game when I beat it. I knew that Muramasa would kill me once, so I tried and got there with all 3 lives.

Garibaldi was very hard for everyone playing that arcade machine, because we never continued, so we had limited exposure to the fight. I got to him with 2 lives, and in the end I was left with only a sliver of red bar on my last life; so little that I couldn't use my desperation move, and I actually panicked. Garibaldi still had an inch or so left.

In the end it was a block -> power attack combo that killed him.

Everyone used Lancelot in that arcade. The more advanced players used Perceval, and then Arthur in that order. The order of popularity was definitely dictated by how fast they perform their power attack (forward+fire), since block -> power attack was the bread and butter of players there.

merlin
Must have been an amazing feeling smccd when you got that final hit on Garibaldi. When I first beat the game on one credit I also was on my last life with only a very small amount of energy left and finished him off with a mega-crush.

I've always played with 2 lives per credit but I do the 'bird man trick' at least once in each playthrough. I used to always deliberately lose a life during the Braford fight so I could grab a 2UP at the start of the third stage. I've stopped doing that but still go for the 1UP later in that stage.

Yes I've also noticed that Lancelot seems to be the most popular of the three. Perceval has always been my favourite though and I tend to do better with him. I like his dash move and that he does do a lot of damage.

You are quite right anyone wanting to become a good player really needs to become fluent with the block + heavy attack combination.

There are a few interesting things about this game some people might not be aware of for example that you can dismount from a horse. I've seen some players getting to Balbars with two horses by moving each horse across the screen in turn. Also some people have learned how to control 'step value' in the game so that they can get lots of extra lives and wands from chests.

One thing I thought was cool is that someone created a nice strategy guide to KOTR in the form of a manga. Unfortunately the website is down and I forgot to download it. Hopefully I can find it again.

I created a playlist of some of the best playthroughs on Youtube. I especially recommend people to check out the videos uploaded by michaelpf08.

http://www.youtub...3E1DB35AC4

There are quite a few very skilled Chinese KOTR players and they even have a forum:

http://knights.ha...

Basashi King
i also love kotr and have fond memories of playing it in some stinking cafe back in the day in my hometown. i always loved perceval back then but tend to go for arthur or lancelot these days. im pretty poor at the game but love it nonetheless. i still play it occasionally in japan, although theres no way i can ever see myself clearing it in one credit!

incidentally merlin, i read you were in mandarake in nakano recently. i used to live about 10 minutes walk from there, and often peeped at neo games there too (prefer shops in akiba though). funny reading that youve been to some of my haunts.

on topic for best game, somewhat boringly id have to say sf4 if you put a gun to my head, although the question is practically impossible to answer really!

merlin
Good to hear you also love KOTR Basashi. If you had the time and inclination I'm sure it wouldn't take you that long to become very good at the game and do a 1CC yourself.

That's interesting that you used to live in the Nakano area. I imagine you must also have been to that nice little arcade on the 4th floor 'TRF' where they have Chaos Breaker and Breaker's Revenge. I'm actually heading in your direction again arriving at Haneda on 22nd October and staying for just over 2 weeks. KOTR at HEY is definitely on the agenda. I won't be posting again at NGFL until I return.

Sorry if I've gone a bit off topic at times in this thread. Hope to see more people posting what they think is the best game.

smccd
I've taken a look at the expert player forum, and the amount of heuristic data they pulled out on the game's random number generator is impressive. I've mostly looked at http://translate....qqLNeB7e9w

From what I can tell, the RNG is a poor one, where the sequence is advanced by a certain number of "steps" based on various player actions, thus explaining its "semi"-predictability. I'm a bit surprised by this, as it's quite easy to make a much fairer RNG.

Funny you should mention Balbars. He's probably the easiest boss in the game because he takes damage when down. If you get to him with about 80% life, you just do mega-crush, followed by the forward+fire heavy attack, and repeat until he dies.

RiKo
UPDATED LIST:

Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64) is still in the lead with 3 votes, but we do have a couple of contenders now: the fine beat-em-up Knights Of The Round now has 2 votes, and so does versus fighter Street Fighter IV. Good Choice Basashi btw Thumbs Up

Carmen - Psyvariar 2 (PS2, Dreamcast?)
Reelmojo - Super Maro Bros 2 (NES)
Powerwave - Breakers (Neo Geo)
Nadanova - Castlevania 4
Robotron - Zanac (NES)
Merlin - Knights Of The Round (Arcade)
Riko - Street Fighter IV : AE (Multi)
Midian - Sukioden II (PlayStation)
Ste C - Shao Lins Road (Arcade)
Wild Tengu - Garou : MOTW (Neo Geo)
Viktorh - The Vanished Omens (SMS)
The Eccentric Cat - Chrono Cross (PlayStation)
Cthulhu - Pong (Arcade)
NeoGeoNinja - Resident Evil (GC) & Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Sukotsuto - Garouden Breakblow : Fist or Twist (PS2)
Mr Vengeance - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
THX-1138 - Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)
Vexan - King of Fighters (Neo Geo)
ArcadeMatt - Shinobi (Sega System 16 PC)
TobalMan - Zelda : Ocarina of Timee
Murikov - Thief: The Dark Project
Sensi - Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
SeanMallon4Life - The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
1983parrothead - OutPost2 : Divided Destiny
LIFE_IN_2D - The Elder Scrolls 2 : Daggerfall
smccd - Knights Of The Round (Arcade)
Basashi King - Street Fighter IV (Multi)
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
bojan4o
so many great games so i cant name just one
(the nes era had some great games that if you play even now you wont be bored from them the games that i spent my childhood on: Tank, Contra, TMNT games, nintendo games, a game with planes you are playing with a warplane there are bunch of enemies coming your way you shoot them then one big plane comes you shoot his propellers one by one then it crashes then there are warships on the sea you drop bombs on them great game i am telling you i just dont remember the name of it, then there is 1943 (and the rest of the games of that franchise for the nes) space invaders and my best game of that time mechanized attack.)

nowadays the only games that left a big impact on me were street hoop, windjammers, metal slug games (altough i played them as a little i dont remember them that much), the king of fighters series (any snk neo-geo game that i played recently especially nam-1975).

Punisher, Cadillacs and dinosaurs, warriors of fate and etc.

call of duty 1 and 2, prince of persia warrior within (i havent played the last two new games new but i consider that one as the best game of the franchise).

quake 3, quake 4 , half-life, half-life2 (was ok but it didnt top the first one except in graphics of course), max payne 1 and 2 (havent got the chance to play the third one)

zelda the minish cap (the only zelda that i have ever played i started the link to the past but just dont have the time lately)

crash (the cart game for ps1) tekken 3 tekken 5 mortal kombat 4 castlevania games metroid games (only super metroid and the gba titles) the chakaman comix zone and back to the castle wolfenstein and etc.

out of all these games i mentioned in my post (sorry for the long post)
there are only 5 games that i consider the best:
Back to the castle Wolfenstein
The prince of Persia Warrior Within
Sunset Riders
Mechanized Attack
(and one more game and i dont quite remember the name of it so after i remember i will update this post).
And Best game of all time in order:
1. Mechanized Attack
2. Back to the castle wolfenstein
3. Prince of Persia Warrior within
4. Sunset riders
5. (that arcade game)
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

RiKo
I have never played Mechanized Attack. Good choice selecting a SNK game as the best one ever though Bojan Thumbs Up I will wait to update the list in case someone else wishes to choose a game.

I got Minish Cap with my GBA, haven't actually played it properly yet but I really like the graphical style in that game. Quake 3 (Dreamcast) and NAM-1975 are big favourites of mine too.

bojan4o
Well i found out that it was snk game not to long ago (2 years maybe less)
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

The eccentric cat
I've been curious, what would you guys consider the "best game ever"? In terms of an overall package, with perfect music, gameplay, graphics, etc?

Or a game that manages to break boundaries, genre-defying, or something that's a ton of fun?
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

NeoGeoNinja
The eccentric cat wrote:

I've been curious, what would you guys consider the "best game ever"? In terms of an overall package, with perfect music, gameplay, graphics, etc?

Or a game that manages to break boundaries, genre-defying, or something that's a ton of fun?

Well done ECat!

This post has completely baffled me vs the thread you have posted it in... Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

cthulhu
Well to be honest, I don't think there actually is a "best game ever". It's just not possible in my opinion. To be the best game I believe everyone will have to like it and that's just not going to happen, there's always someone that dislikes or partly dislikes a game (or finds it flawed in one way). I really only believe in "most favorite games".
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

bojan4o
well the term best game ever is more subjective than objective so basically its personal even the best game of the year is more subjective than objective maybe i am wrong about the last statement but i just feel like that and dont know how to explain it if i think of something i will do explain it

The eccentric cat
Just wanted to clarify on my post, since I was pretty sleepy when I posted.

What would in YOUR opinion, qualify as a best game ever, disregarding opinions of others, and maybe perhaps your own personal opinion. Would it have to excel at gameplay/be a ton of fun, or something that could be considered a work of art, etc.?
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

RiKo
This is just my opinion. But for me the best game ever is the one I enjoy playing the most, the one I still play now (because it's still great).

Things like perfect music, graphics, atmosphere will add to my enjoyment of the game but they aren't really so important in themselves.

Neorebel
OK best game ever. Well, that certainly is a tough question, as is best film, novel, album or song ever too. It would be easier to do it by genre. But to stick to the question and answer it, the main criteria would be 'emotional response,' the best connection and how much a game moved me based on the already superior mechanics, graphics/style, sound, plot, and so on. I also feel that pioneer games, or games that set a precedent first should have more weight.

A TON of games pop into my head as potential best of all time. The first one is what everyone says and I agree mostly - Zelda Ocarina of Time or perhaps LTTP. I absolutely love the series and get a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of it. A lot of Nintendo games come up. Super Mario World and SM64. Super Metroid.

Castlevania III. Final Fantasy 6 or 7. Chrono Trigger. Resident Evil. Wolfenstein 3d or Doom. Sonic II. Ikaruga, Battle Garegga, Super Star Soldier, R-Type. All of these could be the best game ever IMO.

BUT: My favorite games are fighting games. Since that's the case I might be inclined to say Street Fighter II. However that's only what started the craze for me. Samurai Shodown was what really got me into it, and was what made me love the Neo-Geo. Someone said Soul Calibur, which is a great answer. It could be the pinnacle of everything that's great about fighting games. But neither of those two are my best ever.

So ultimately... my answer is... THE LAST BLADE II. Everyone knows what makes this game great. But I picked it because of the personal connection I have with it - that I love fighters the best, and I'm saying this is the game that made me feel that way. This was the perfect weapons based fighter before Soul Calibur, and it has just a little more charm in my opinion. Experiencing this game for the first time back in the day is something beyond words. The game is FLAWLESS.

Jump to Forum: