Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1748
Thread Info
There are 54 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 17503 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Various scanning projects
merlin
There's really no rush to get those scans uploaded Kaz. I know you will get them up when you've got time. I also sent the download links to Shiny because I thought you might be busy with GOTW etc. so Shiny if you're reading this I'm sorry if you went to the bother of downloading the files too.

Does anyone else have any Snk related material they could scan?

Shiny
merlin wrote:
There's really no rush to get those scans uploaded Kaz. I know you will get them up when you've got time. I also sent the download links to Shiny because I thought you might be busy with GOTW etc. so Shiny if you're reading this I'm sorry if you went to the bother of downloading the files too.

Does anyone else have any Snk related material they could scan?

No worries dude, Kaz and I discussed it before I downloaded them.

I have some scans to upload at some point but I need to organise it all... And my mate Adam has a load of SNK manga I'm gonna try and scan at some point.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

videotech
Hello Merlin, I am new to this site, but have been visiting for many years. I saw your post regarding Various scanning projects, and think its an excellent Idea.

I had a similar one involving AES Manuals, Inserts and cart labels. These would be for people with Damaged and or missing items.

I am a collector and have 50+ JAP titles and 20+ ENG titles. I am more than willing to contribute to your collection. I noticed in the original thread, you stated that you had 40 or so JAP games, but so far you have only scanned about a quater of these? What happend to the rest?

We should colaberate and say that I do x y and z games and you do A,B anc c, etc.

I especially want to start inserts and cart sticker scanning. I have tried these and have come across the following issues:

Inserts:
Where the spine joins. This is very tricky to scan as most inserts have been
curled up for years and they often dont scan the spine right, causing light reflections, etc.

Cart sticker:
Very tricky. The front facing side scans fine. The top side scans fine, but the bit the curles, i.e. joins the front and top of the sticker always has a reflection on. I have yet to scan one perfectly.

Any thoughts?

merlin
Hi videotech. Welcome to the site. Thanks for your pm and I really appreciate it a lot that you're willing to help with this project especially since I know it can be fairly time consuming to scan the manuals. The reason I started this thread because I was hoping maybe a few other people might get involved too. By the way that's a very impressive AES collection you've got there.

videotech wrote:
I noticed in the original thread, you stated that you had 40 or so JAP games, but so far you have only scanned about a quater of these? What happend to the rest?

We should colaberate and say that I do x y and z games and you do A,B anc c, etc.

I've scanned a total of 44 Japanese AES manuals.

Manuals already uploaded to the site the first 6 of which were scanned by Cthulhu:

The Last Blade
The Last Blade 2
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Samurai Shodown 2
Waku Waku 7
Twinkle Star Sprites
Blazing Star
Kabuki Klash
Magical Drop 3
Kizuna Encounter
KOF '96
Ragnagard
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown 4
World Heroes Perfect

These next ones I scanned a while ago and will be uploaded to this site at some point.

Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Baseball Stars 2
Breakers
Crossed Swords
Dunk Dream
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
King of the Monsters 2
Last Resort
Magician Lord
Metal Slug 3
Mutation Nation
Nam 1975
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Robo Army
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown 3
Savage Reign
Sengoku 2
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Sonic Wings 2
Sonic Wings 3
Super Baseball 2020
Super Sidekicks 3
Top Hunter
Viewpoint
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet

I have one more Japanese AES manual still to scan: Fighters History Dynamite. I know people are particularly keen to find scans of English manuals so it's good to hear you have 20+ English AES titles in your collection.

videotech wrote:
I especially want to start inserts and cart sticker scanning. I have tried these and have come across the following issues:

Inserts:
Where the spine joins. This is very tricky to scan as most inserts have been
curled up for years and they often dont scan the spine right, causing light reflections, etc.

Cart sticker:
Very tricky. The front facing side scans fine. The top side scans fine, but the bit the curles, i.e. joins the front and top of the sticker always has a reflection on. I have yet to scan one perfectly.

Any thoughts?

I did originally plan to scan the inserts too but after trying it out I decided against it. Although it's of course possible the inserts seem a bit fragile to me and I would be worried about accidentally damaging one of them.

Scanning the cart stickers is an interesting idea which I never thought of but like you say they are pretty awkward to scan.

I also have some other SNK related material to scan and after that my final project will be to scan around 14 issues of Neo Geo Freak magazine. My plan is probably to scan them from cover to cover and then people can download a complete issue in pdf format.
Edited by merlin on 09. January 2010 19:17

videotech
Wow, I didn't know you scanned all those! It's a shame they havent been uploaded yet. Maybe you can ask the admin to upload them. I would be interested in getting a copy, can they be sent to me by email if they are zipped?

Anyway here is a list of the games I have:

JAP:

2020 Super Baseball
Aso II (Carton Box only)
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Art of Fighting 3
Baseball Stars (Carton Box)
Burning Fight
Double Dragon
Eightman
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
Fighter History Dynamite
Fire Suplex
Football Frenzy
Fu'un Mokushiroku(Savage Reign)
Galaxy Fight
Ghost Pilots(Carton Box only)
Joy Joy Kid
King of Fighters 94
King of Fighters 95
King of Fighters 96
King of Fighters 97
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99
King of Fighters 2000 (awaiting delivery)
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2003
King of Monsters(Carton only)
Last Blade
Mahjong Kyoretsuden
Mahjong Minasan no
Mark of the Wolves
Miracle Adventure(Spinmaster)
Quiz Daisousa
Quiz Daisousa 2 Neo&geo
Quiz King of Fighters
Raguy(Carton Box only)
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Riding Hero
Robo Army
Samurai Spirit
Samurai Spirit 2
Samurai Spirit 3
Samurai Spirit 4
Samurai Spirits Zero
Super Sidekicks
Super Sidekicks 2
SVC Chaos
Thrash Rally
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect

ENG:

3 Count Bout
Alpha Mission 2 (dog-tag only)
Art of Fighting euro
Art of Fighting 2
Baseball Stars Professional
Blue's Journey
Crossed Swords
Cyber-lip
Ghost Pilots (dog-tag)
Ghost Pilots euro
Karnov's Revenge
King of Fighters 2001
Magician Lord
Metal Slug 4 (awaiting delivery)
NAM-1975
Ninja Combat
Riding Hero
Samurai Shodown 5 (awaiting delivery)
Sengoku
Super Sidekicks 2
The Super Spy
Top Players Golf
World Heroes
World Heroes 2 euro
World Heroes 2 Jet (dog-tag)

You have done alot of them already. Also I have a few questions before I start:

Do you scan the manuals with, or without the staples in?
Do you scan one page or a spread out 2 pages at a time?
What scanning options should I use, i.e. what dpi setting?
Formatting options, i.e. 1 page as a jpg or combine them all into one pdf doc? (I have adobe PDF but not sure how to add them in as you have)

I want to make sure that the maunals I scan do not become damaged, so any additional tips would be very helpful.

Regarding the inserts, I really wouldn't worry that they will become damaged, as you just have to take them out carefully. Like I said if we can find a way to scan them properly I really dont mind scanning all my inserts. Can you try one of yours (just any cheap game) to test?

Also regarding the cart stickers, I am still investigating it. I believe the only way to do it properly is to peel off the top side of the sticker and scan it, then stick it back. Of course the challenge is to do it without damaging the original sticker!

Your thoughts?

merlin
videotech wrote:
Wow, I didn't know you scanned all those! It's a shame they havent been uploaded yet. Maybe you can ask the admin to upload them. I would be interested in getting a copy, can they be sent to me by email if they are zipped?

I did send the manual scans to the admins but they've been a bit busy lately. I'm sure
they'll add them sooner or later. In the meantime if you would like any manual scans apart
from the 15 already available on the site I can put them on Megaupload for you. Let me know which ones you're after.

videotech wrote:
Do you scan the manuals with, or without the staples in?
Do you scan one page or a spread out 2 pages at a time?
What scanning options should I use, i.e. what dpi setting?
Formatting options, i.e. 1 page as a jpg or combine them all into one pdf doc? (I have
adobe PDF but not sure how to add them in as you have)

I want to make sure that the maunals I scan do not become damaged, so any additional tips would be very helpful.

I scan the manuals one page at a time without removing any staples. To start with I folded
the manual each time but it increases the chances of the page being slightly squint so in
the end I just tended to have the book spread out each time. The way I did it meant that every second page was scanned upside down but it was easy to rotate the image afterwards. I used 400dpi setting.

It would be best once you've scanned the pages all as jpegs to convert them into a pdf document. My scanner comes with software to allow me to do this but if you haven't got this then Adobe or another program should be fine too. One thing I also did was to very slightly crop the edges of the jpegs to remove anything unsightly like staples. Then I used an image editing program which came with my scanner to resize the images back to what they should be and then created the finished pdf.

I'm not saying this is the only way of doing it so perhaps you can think of a slightly different way that works best for you. It's worth experimenting.

videotech wrote:
Regarding the inserts, I really wouldn't worry that they will become damaged, as you just
have to take them out carefully. Like I said if we can find a way to scan them properly I
really dont mind scanning all my inserts. Can you try one of yours (just any cheap game) to
test?

I did do a test scan a while ago and ended up deleting it. It scanned perfectly ok and
because the whole insert was too big for the scanner I was going to do two scans and then
join them. Although I was very careful there's always the possiblility of an accident and
no matter how cheap the game is I would hate to accidentally tear one of the inserts even slightly. So ultimately I've decided not to scan any but if you are willing to do it then I'm sure a lot of people will be very grateful to you for that. I think peeling the cart sticker to scan is a bit risky to be honest. Even being very careful you might still accidentally rip one.

Thanks again for helping with this project! Thumbs Up
Edited by merlin on 10. January 2010 01:31

videotech
OK, as I do not have a scanner at home, I will be taking SVC chaos manual to work. I will try scanning it and see what I can come up with. I just want to be very careful s not to bend the pages too much when it is spread out.

I have an A3 and A4 scanner at work, so I can try the insert in the A3 scanner to see how that looks like. Excuse my stupidity, the the more dpi the better right? I'm not sure exactly the specs of the scanners I have, but will mess around with it so see the best settings.

As for the mega upload, ideally I want to have a copy off all the manuals, so if you can zip up all the manuals not not this site and upload to meagupload that would be cool. If you don't have time, I can wait until the admins put up the manuals. BTW how long ago did you send these files to the admins? I dont want to do all this work and not have them uploaded.

As for the sticker scans I believe the way to do it is to get a hair dryer and heat up the top of the sticker, this should allow you to peel the top of the sticker, leaving the whole thing flat and then scan it and gently stick it back. This can be done without damaging it. I will try it out with a game that I have that dont work (Samuri showdown 1) and see what I get, but first I must get a hair dryer!

I will see what I can do with the manual tomorrow and get back to you.
PM me you email so I can send you the pdf when I'm done.

Thanks.

videotech
Hi Merlin, thanks for the PM.

I now understand what you mean that the manual is very time consuming.It took me ages to do and is still not Perfect, so I want to do it again. The insert was certainly easier, but it would not fit in my A3 scanner, so I had to do the front and back seperate and crop them together. Both were scanned at 600 dpi. I only saved them as jpg's initially just to keep the file size down when creating the doc as this was just a test. I still have the raw bmp images.

A few points:
Must make sure scanner is clean from dust
Must make sure insert/manual is clean from dust
Must make sure pages are aligned straight
Must make sure page is not too close to the edge of the scanner, or some small details will be cut out - as you can see on the bottom of some pages of the manual
Pages need to be totally flat or some reflection will happen, as can be seen on some pages. - I cant see how this can be done without removing the staples and doing each individual pages.

Insert - I laid mine out flat, with a heavy book ontop to flattern it out. I left it there for an hour. After I finished scanning it, I put the insert back into the box. NO damage was done, so dont fear about doing it.

Like I said, its not perfect and I want to redo it again, but please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

merlin
Thanks for sending the scans to me Videotech. I just downloaded them and had a quick look. The insert has been very well done. The manual scan looks good too although I know it was just a test scan and you're going to re-do it. One thing you could do if you wanted was to crop the white bits at the edges and then resize all the jpegs afterwards. That does make the whole thing more time consuming though. I also found that did significantly increase the file size too.

videotech wrote:
Must make sure scanner is clean from dust
Must make sure insert/manual is clean from dust
Must make sure pages are aligned straight
Must make sure page is not too close to the edge of the scanner, or some small details will be cut out - as you can see on the bottom of some pages of the manual
Pages need to be totally flat or some reflection will happen, as can be seen on some pages. - I cant see how this can be done without removing the staples and doing each individual pages.

Some very useful tips there. That first one is particularly important. I had quite a few problems with various debris (often cat hairs in my case!) appearing on the surface of the scanner even after I had cleaned it. I just tended to keep wiping it every so often during a scanning session.

It can be difficult to keep the pages flat you're right. I put a thick piece of card on the side of the manual that wasn't being scanned and then also put something heavy on top of the scanner lid while scanning like what you did when scanning the insert.

I know people don't always have a lot of time but if anyone else here would be able to scan even one or two manuals it would be greatly appreciated.

videotech
Yes, I will definitely re-do the manual. I will also re-do the insert as I believe I can improve on the one I did. As for the cart sticker, I haven't had a chance to do it yet as I am waiting on my girlfriends hair-dryer Smile

I really need to get a scanner at home, as I don't always get the chance to use it at work.

I also want to find out exactly what type of paper and print style is used in the insert, manual, and cart sticker. That way I can get one set printed and compare to the original.

Thanks.

dhowerter
Hi all! I was just wondering 2 things:

1. Do you guys plan on scanning any more Neo Geo manuals in and uploading them here?

2. Any chance of scanning in the ENGLISH AES manuals (or ENGLISH Neo Geo CD manuals - either would be great!), so that those of us with Japanese games can have a manual (scan) for a game we can actually read? ^_^

Edited by dhowerter on 26. August 2010 06:05

merlin
dhowerter wrote:
1. Do you guys plan on scanning any more Neo Geo manuals in and uploading them here?

2. Any chance of scanning in the ENGLISH AES manuals (or ENGLISH Neo Geo CD manuals - either would be great!), so that those of us with Japanese games can have a manual (scan) for a game we can actually read? ^_^

Hi dhowerter. I don't have any manuals left to scan I'm afraid. They've all been added to the site and all my AES games are Japanese. Videotech hasn't logged into the site since February so I'm not sure if he still plans to scan any manuals. I've never come across any AES manual scans anywhere else. If anyone would be willing to scan some manuals then I could add them to the download section. I noticed your thread at neo-geo.com so it'll be interesting to see if anyone there has scanned any or knows where to download some from.

'bakudandan' a forum member here did scan some NGCD manuals a while back but they were all Japanese and checking today it seems like he's deleted them from his Megaupload account anyway.

http://www.neogeo...post_35300

dhowerter
merlin -

Thanks for the reply.

I saw videotech's list of English AES manuals he posted above and was hoping he could scan even just a few English AES manuals (like Blue's Journey, Magicican Lord or Cyber-lip), just so I can see what an English AES manual looks like Wink

I might even be able to deduce some general useful info on Neo games (like how exactly you get a game to save your progress) from the Japanese AES manual scans on neogeoforlife if I had an ENGLISH AES manual as a reference.

Magician Lord or Blue's Journey would be an excellent model English manual - I assume there is a lot less text in there to type up than say a fighting game..

Edited by dhowerter on 03. September 2010 07:41

merlin
I finished scanning another 9 issues of Neo Geo Freak magazine around a month ago but unfortunately due to a slight technical problem right now I can't upload them to NGFL yet. In the meantime if anyone is interested I've put them on Megaupload. Many thanks to Shito and Massimiliano who helped with the cost of these magazines. It was a huge amount of work scanning these so I hope the scans will be of interest to people. For anyone not familiar with Neo Geo Freak it was the only magazine exclusively dedicated to Neo Geo.

1995 4 http://www.megaup...d=YB71SD4M

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1995VOL4.jpg

1995 6 http://www.megaup...d=TTFA9935

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1995VOL6.jpg

1995 8 http://www.megaup...d=14HW0WSQ

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1995VOL8.jpg

1996 4 http://www.megaup...d=RG0A2KMQ

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1996VOL4.jpg

1996 6 http://www.megaup...d=PZBIUWCU

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1996VOL6.jpg

1998 2 http://www.megaup...d=M6XNXYN8

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1998VOL2.jpg

1998 7 http://www.megaup...d=FJDALG5N

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1998VOL7.jpg

1998 12 http://www.megaup...d=NXLWTQW0

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1998VOL12.jpg

1999 11 http://www.megaup...d=YR53JG3X

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/NGF1999VOL11.jpg

Previously uploaded issues:

http://www.neogeo...p?cat_id=6

Bullet
These are great Merlin!!!

I for one really appreciate this and understand how time consuming a project like this can be. I'm incredibly pleased that you are taking the time and money (Along with Shito and Massimilianoto, whom I also Thank) and have decided to share these with everyone.

So Thank you Merlin, it is greatly appreciated.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Murikov
Thanks Merlin for slaving yourself away with scanning all that stuff. The actual online-availability of these magazines is a great contribution to the community and for all who can't afford to import these issues. I'll definitely take a look on these.

Great job! Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

sukotsuto
You...! You are awesome, Merlin! A big thank you for all these scans! Grin Grin

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
merlin
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Considering how much time I've spent on this that really does mean a lot to me. Makes it all seem worthwhile. Smile

There is loads of SNK artwork in the magazines so I'm sure many Neo Geo fans will find these of interest.

shion
Good job merlin! Clap

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NEO-GEO man
Would anyone like me to upload some of my modified cover inserts? Alot of these are re-hashes of some downloaded from South town hombrew and changed around, mixed together, etc etc, but they are also correctly sized for their respective AES covers.

Let me know if you want any uploaded.

Jump to Forum: