Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: cthulhu
Thread ID: 1743
Thread Info
There are 14 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3550 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sega JAMMADrive
cthulhu
Last couple of days I've been screwing around with one of my Megadrives trying to mod it so it can be hooked up to an Arcade Cab...these are the results of lots of cursing, blood (literally...also burnt myself horribly...I'm crap with soldering irons) and frustration.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/JAMMADrive001.jpg
The JAMMADrive in it's full glory.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/JAMMADrive002.jpg
Built-in JAMMA fingerboard sticking out of the side.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/JAMMADrive003.jpg
Switches to choose between 50Hz/60Hz or region (Euro/Jap).

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/JAMMADrive004.jpg
Connected to the JAMMA Harness.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/JAMMADrive005.jpg
The main reason why I did the mod...Bare Knuckle II on a Candy Cab!!!
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

neoandy
That is fantastic! I wish I had the know-how to tackle cool projects like that. Congrats.

cthulhu
To be honest, it's a pretty easy mod...the only tricky thing is knowing where to solder all wires and the soldering itself. There are a few guides on the internet I used for this mod, only one of them wasn't 100% correct, so that gave me some annoying setbacks.
My arcade stuff

merlin
That's a really cool mod you made Cthulhu. Thumbs Up I'd never heard of people doing that before. Although you say it's quite an easy mod it sounds like it was quite a challenge and a lot of work.

I can certainly see the attraction of playing Streets of Rage 2 on a cab! It would also be great for playing arcade games that were ported onto the Mega Drive like for example Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Strider and Golden Axe. You could even play Sonic on your cab.

boogiepop
Awesome mod! I'm a big SoR2 fan so I'd love to see some pics of it being played on the cab. Smile
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

priest
Chtulhu: Ive also seen this beeing done at another forum. But I havent tryed it myself...Yet.

I would love to play some of those MD classics that Merlin mentioned on my cab, since some of them are close to arcade perfect, I wouldnt have to track down the pcb:s.

Have you tryed if the Master system converter works with this? If it does (which it should) then you also have the MS games library available.

Great workThumbs Up
Edited by priest on 31. May 2009 08:19
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
cthulhu
merlin wrote:
That's a really cool mod you made Cthulhu. Thumbs Up I'd never heard of people doing that before. Although you say it's quite an easy mod it sounds like it was quite a challenge and a lot of work.

I can certainly see the attraction of playing Streets of Rage 2 on a cab! It would also be great for playing arcade games that were ported onto the Mega Drive like for example Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Strider and Golden Axe. You could even play Sonic on your cab.

There are two good guides on the internet, but one of them is in French and the other in Swedish. The French one throws away the plastic casing and uses the metal inner casing as the outer shell. The Swedish one has some mistakes in it, so at first I got a screwed up picture...I just retraced the pins, desoldered the video mod and resoldered everything to the richt pin.
There are tons of games that would really play great on a cab: Splatterhouse Part 2 and 3 (were console only...only the first Splatterhouse was released in PCB form...still have to buy that one), Contra The Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, the Thunderforce series, Daimakaimura, Gynoug, Koutetsu Teikoku: Steel Empire, the Sonic the Hedgehog series, Devilcrash??? and many others.

boogiepop wrote:
Awesome mod! I'm a big SoR2 fan so I'd love to see some pics of it being played on the cab. Smile

I'll see what I can do.

priest wrote:
Chtulhu: Ive also seen this beeing done at another forum. But I havent tryed it myself...Yet.

I would love to play some of those MD classics that Merlin mentioned on my cab, since some of them are close to arcade perfect, I wouldnt have to track down the pcb:s.

Have you tryed if the Master system converter works with this? If it does (which it should) then you also have the MS games library available.

Great workThumbs Up

If you decide on doing this mod and need some help, just ask me.
Don't know if I have a Master System Converter, but I think I don't so I won't be able to try that (should work I guess)...I am going to try if the Mega-CD also works with this, probably will still have to use an adapter on the Mega-CD unit.
My arcade stuff

priest
OK ThanksSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Midian
Great mod, looks awesome. Streets of Rage on a cab would be awesome.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Nadanova
I would mod my megadrive but seeing as it is just a loan... Iall I would dare ask doing would be 50hz/60hz switches.
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

cthulhu
Nadanova wrote:
I would mod my megadrive but seeing as it is just a loan... Iall I would dare ask doing would be 50hz/60hz switches.

That's extremely easy depending on the Megadrive model (1601-XX model)...all you need is 3 small wires, a small switch, soldering iron with a small tip, some 60/40 solder (Tin/Lead with a Rosin core) and a drill to make the hole in the plastic casing.
My arcade stuff

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
Have you tryed if the Master system converter works with this? If it does (which it should) then you also have the MS games library available...

Heh... MasterSystem Shinobi + ArcCab = WIN Hmm

Ninja

STE C
Thats amazing ive never seen anyone do that before its a great idea i wish i had the balls to try that on one of mine

cthulhu
STE C wrote:
Thats amazing ive never seen anyone do that before its a great idea i wish i had the balls to try that on one of mine

I just bought an incredibly cheap Megadrive especially to do this mod...my Japanese Megadrive is mint and unmodded, the other European Megadrive I have only had the 50Hz/ 60Hz mod done.
So, just find yourself a cheap extra Megadrive and try to do the mod...even I can do it, so it's not that hard.
Oh by the way, I didn't sacrifice any of the connectors, so it can still be used as a normal Megadrive, on a TV with an adapter and controllers.
My arcade stuff

Jump to Forum: