is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 1716
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2387 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fighting Games : Big Vs Small Sprites
What do people think the ideal size of sprite in fighting games is? The Neo Geo first made true the possibility of full screen size fighting characters. Its interesting to see also that the new KOF uses quite large sprites.

MOTW is one of my favourite fighters ever, but uses quite small sprites for the fighters. It is a beautiful game but I do wish the sprites were just a bit larger. I think it may have been restricted because it uses so many frames of animation, and bigger sprites would have multiplied the space used on the cartridge.

AOF2 is perhaps the king of big sprite fighters, but is big necessarily better? Do big sprite make the game more playable and if so when are they too big? Also of course zooming and dynamic camera work can alter the size of the sprites during a match. Do big sprites improve gameplay by making everything clearer or do they hinder it?

Personally I think SFIII 3rd Strike has a very good size of sprites, and the distance the camera is from the action gives a good view of the background (if only the backgrounds were nicer)

I also really like the size used in Tekken. I think perhaps 3D games may give an indication of the best size for the fighters, because they are free to choose any size they want.

It will be interesting to hear what you think Smile
Edited by RiKo on 19. May 2009 13:48
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched :
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games :
MOTW.. they all seem fine for me

AOF2 was great.. Eiji looked badass in that one.
Big sprites are fine as long as the animation is smooth. Look at some of the bigger sprites in a game like MvC2 such as Juggernaut and his animation just appears jerkier than the smaller characters simply because he's bigger.
Generally speaking I prefer bigger sprites and if the sprites are fairly small in a fighting game it does put me off a bit regardless of how good the gameplay is.

I particularly like it when fighting games have the zoom feature so that the characters look really big when close together and smaller when further apart. I like the sizes of the sprites in games like Samurai Shodown 3 or 4.
Wild Tengu
The bigger the better I always say.
I love the zoom feature in fighters too Merlin. I wonder what the first game to use it was?

Most people seem to prefer big sprites! I do think it can improve gameplay slightly if the are larger cos you can see punches and kicks coming towards you better. When you watch boxing on TV the camera is normally fairly close up so you can see whats going on.

Anyone know what 2D fighter has the biggest sprite ever?
RiKo wrote:
Anyone know what 2D fighter has the biggest sprite ever?

Not quite sure what you mean 'exactly' by this RiKo.

But... I'd guess SF2HDRemix has the biggest drawn sprites ever (at a guess, or maybe it's KOFXII?) and as for onscreen character size... The Capcom XMEN series pushed it pretty far (Sentinel, Juggernaut, err... Apocalypse & Onslaught...heh)

AND OF COURSE... AOF2! So big, it actually hurts your TV displaying them LOL

I'm not sure which is the largest sprite but Kusaregedo from Samurai Shodown 5 is huge.
Wild Tengu
KOFXII has the biggest sprites in a fighting game so far I'd say. HD Remix doesn't really count because those are drawings, not dot pixel sprites.
Ninja wrote :- Not quite sure what you mean 'exactly' by this RiKo.

I meant how much of the screen a fighter takes up. I think you are right with those games Smile

hmm Merlin - I think I remember reading about him - does he actually fit on the screen? I thought I might have read that he is too big to fit on!

You could be right Tengu, I think drawings can still be sprites though. Because I guess its the size of the fighter that counts.

Jump to Forum: