Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 1673
Thread Info
There are 14 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2837 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
STE C
Ok guys and girls this goes out to all NEO GEO and arcade/ 2d fighting fans . yes we have the new KOF game coming this year which looks great . But my friends deep in your heart what do you want to see in the future for not just SNK but 2D games in general . Why and how do we keep it alive or do we just hope our JP cousins keep it going , maybe 2D could die in a few years we could be playing shitty Vin Diesel type racing games in the future . Nothing lasts forever ** but maybe SNK can ** imagine us in a nursing home preaching to care assistants about Neo Geo in our old age oh thats gotta hurt . We have the DS which has its fair share of 2D games but ive just never got the whole handheld thing, i hope the future of 2D games wont just be designated to handhelds. If the new KOF is a big success could this be a new dawn of great SNK beat em ups on the new Taito board. What are your wishes fellow members. The new KOF and Blazblue Calamity have a lot of peple excited including me , just wish there was more like it on the horizon
Edited by STE C on 22. April 2009 16:00

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Ok guys and girls this goes out to all NEO GEO and arcade/ 2d fighting fans . yes we have the new KOF game coming this year which looks great . But my friends deep in your heart what do you want to see in the future for not just SNK but 2D games in general . Why and how do we keep it alive or do we just hope our JP cousins keep it going , maybe 2D could die in a few years we could be playing shitty Vin Diesel type racing games in the future . Nothing lasts forever ** but maybe SNK can ** imagine us in a nursing home preaching to care assistants about Neo Geo in our old age oh thats gotta hurt . We have the DS which has its fair share of 2D games but ive just never got the whole handheld thing, i hope the future of 2D games wont just be designated to handhelds. If the new KOF is a big success could this be a new dawn of great SNK beat em ups on the new Taito board. What are your wishes fellow members

STE...

I'm busy right now (working), BUT, I'll give it some thought and get back to you... right here.

L8rs

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 22. April 2009 14:09

RiKo
I don't get the handheld thing either really - I never want to play games when I am out the house - unless they are in an arcade. I like seeing stuff on a big screen too. Having said that I was considering getting a PSP so I could play Ult Ghouls + Ghosts at some point - so I just defeated my own argument.... Smile Also I still want to break 200 lines on mono Gameboy Tetris oneday.

2D games in the future need to look sh*t hot! - thats the solution I think. It is totally possible to do 2D games that look amazing. It requires an awful lot of work though on the animators part. I still think 3D may be the future. Why can't 3D games look and act just like 2D games if they are viewed side on? (then you have added flexibility of camera movement if you need it) I actually don't think the technology is there yet for a 3D game to toally emulate a 2D games in the same detail. Something Okami or SFIV shows the potential.

I read an interview with a guy from Treasure when they were making Gun Star Heroes game for the GBA, and he said it was actually a lot more work than making a 3D games.

Alien Homonid is a good example of how a 2D game can look great. I also think downloadable games services will mean more games like Braid, games from small teams.

Todays 2D games aren't very ambitious - I mean KOF wil hopefully be great - but its still just a fighting game. Today 2d games are possible - that were never possible back in the old days - I hope we see some of these!

EDIT - I love Gradius V (PS2) - I think it really shows how great 2D games can be using 3D graphics. It looks beautiful too.
Edited by RiKo on 22. April 2009 16:00
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Very good reply Riko some great points , i own a DS too but it doesn't get a lot of play , even Metal Slug 7 good game that it is i would much prefer to be playing it on a console/tv. I agree that Braid is a nice little game and im all for the down loadable games on XBL & PS3 store, but i just hope that 2d games will not be just confined to downloads as for 7 quid the quality will never be up there with SNKs best

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
I don't get the handheld thing either really - I never want to play games when I am out the house - unless they are in an arcade. I like seeing stuff on a big screen too. Having said that I was considering getting a PSP so I could play Ult Ghouls + Ghosts at some point - so I just defeated my own argument.... Smile Also I still want to break 200 lines on mono Gameboy Tetris one day.

I like hand-helds. Particularly my GBAsp ('sp' specifically... great D-pad!) and of course my trusty NGPC! HOWEVER, to be honest I have only ever really found a use for these when on lengthy commutes (I used to have a 75+min bus journey to work... then 75+ back!) or when staying away from home for short periods (house sitting etc).

GBAsp is my fave HHeld ever though. Such a great variety of quality games... IMO, a great continuation of the SNES really, kinda like a SNESmk2!

RiKo wrote:
2D games in the future need to look sh*t hot! - thats the solution I think. It is totally possible to do 2D games that look amazing. It requires an awful lot of work though on the animators part. I still think 3D may be the future. Why can't 3D games look and act just like 2D games if they are viewed side on? (then you have added flexibility of camera movement if you need it) I actually don't think the technology is there yet for a 3D game to totally emulate a 2D games in the same detail. Something Okami or SFIV shows the potential.

I'm not sure about the 'technology being there or not', I think it could be a case of companies simply not wanting their games to look 2D unfortunately, moreover, they simply include the elements that make 2D games cool (Like SFIVs Paintbrush effect, and Okami was just a 3D game again with 2D-esque elements) as opposed to making the games 3D. SFIV's probably a prety good example of this. If any game (like KOF) should have been 2D, it was SFIV! ...3D it is then.

ALSO... regarding 3D>2D mimicry, games like SFIV have sort of shown me that they have utilised the 3D really well, BUT the game (to me PERSONALLY) is still nothing in comparison the the SF3 series. I AM HOWEVER keen to learn how close to 2D Tatsunoko VS Capcom is on Wii. I've only seen vids on YouTube, and I noticed that Ryu in TvC is SF3 Ryu. I could tell because he 'moved' like SF3 Ryu. I would like to know how 2D this game is... as it looks ABSOLUTELY awesome. DAMN... I can feel an import coming on Hmm

RiKo wrote:
I read an interview with a guy from Treasure when they were making Gun Star Heroes game for the GBA, and he said it was actually a lot more work than making a 3D games.

Hopefully worth it though... as it's such a great game! Hectic too.

RiKo wrote:
Alien Hominid is a good example of how a 2D game can look great. I also think downloadable games services will mean more games like Braid, games from small teams.

Indeed. Smile

RiKo wrote:
Todays 2D games aren't very ambitious - I mean KOF wil hopefully be great - but its still just a fighting game. Today 2d games are possible - that were never possible back in the old days - I hope we see some of these!

Yeah, that'd be quite something, wouldn't it... if you will, the rediscovery of 2D. I think the recent development of games like Oboro Muramasa Youtouden on the Wii is a step in the right direction, especially seeing as it's an actual game you can go forth and buy from your local games store, as opposed to it being a DLC game. DAMN... another reason to own a Wii Hmm

RiKo wrote:
EDIT - I love Gradius V (PS2) - I think it really shows how great 2D games can be using 3D graphics. It looks beautiful too.

Gradius V is a stunner! Will probably end up getting the 360 HD treatment at some point I reckon. GrV is MY favourite Horiz.Scroller alongside the mighty Gradius Gaiden on PS1.

YEAH... shmups aren't too bad at the 3D>2D thing... Its fighters really that are still teething. The RumbleFish was quite close though. FATE:UC is the same kind of thing, but haven't even opened my copy yet, so can't comment on its 2Dness.

Ninja

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Very good reply Riko some great points , i own a DS too but it doesn't get a lot of play , even Metal Slug 7 good game that it is i would much prefer to be playing it on a console/tv. I agree that Braid is a nice little game and im all for the down loadable games on XBL & PS3 store, but i just hope that 2d games will not be just confined to downloads as for 7 quid the quality will never be up there with SNKs best

I TOO HOPE... that 2D games become 'physically' purchasable. It's always nice to 'own' what you pay for... especially when it's in the form of some gloriously animated 2D goodness.

Ninja

STE C
Well said Ninja, and good point about Rumble Fish a great 2d game with lovely 3d backgrounds that don't look out of place, as with the Capcom vs Snk games 2d & 3d can work together in a game as long as its done right. I agree with your comment about SF4, i much prefer SS3 its simply a far superior game. Just out of interest Ninja i noticed you got that Fist Of The North Star game for PS2, ive been tempted to get it for a while what do you think of it as the youtube vids look great
Edited by STE C on 22. April 2009 19:59

merlin
I really hope they keep making good quality 2D games in the future especially shoot 'em ups and fighting games and like you say STE C that they are not just confined to handhelds. I like playing on a handheld but it's never going to be as good.

With games like BlazBlue coming out it's a pretty exciting time right now to be a 2D gamer I think. The HD graphics of BlazBlue are amazing with very detailed 3D backgrounds and importantly of course the gameplay is purely 2D. Regarding the whole 2D/3D thing well I know a lot of 2D gamers would prefer the game to be completely 2D but personally I don't mind all that much when it comes to fighting games. The Rumble Fish manages the 2D/3D thing pretty well too.

Although I do want of course to see 2D games being released in the future I'm not hugely concerned about the future of 2D gaming because I feel that there is already such a vast amount of 2D games to explore either on console or with Mame. It's hard to say what will happen in the future but I do think that 2D games will never totally die out in terms of new releases.

I agree with you Ninja about downloads. I much prefer to own a physical copy of a game rather than a downloaded file.

STE C I can highly recommend Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) to you. It's one of my favourite fighting games. You can always try it out on the Atomiswave emulator before you buy it.
Edited by merlin on 22. April 2009 20:18

Midian
I really hope they make more 2D fighters, as we all prefer them to 3D. But I'd also like to see more 2D RPGs. I've been playing a lot of Ar Tonelico on PS2, which is a 2D RPG with some of the greatest 2D graphics I've seen. It's from Gust, the same makers as Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia.

Odin Sphere also looks really good, but I don't like the game itself much.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

STE C
That makes a lot of sense you are right if i lived until 100 i would probably never get to play & enjoy all the past 2d games. My big fear is , as mentioned by you and Ninja what happens if in the future all games are download only , its already started. I have downloaded games on my 360 & PS3 and although ive paid for them i don,t actually feel like i own them and often delete them after a short while ( even half decent games) which is a silly waste of my cash but whats a game with out a box or even just a cartridge or disc. Well if guys like you and Ninja own Fist of The North Star i guess i will have a scout on ebay for it

RiKo
I haven't played Viewtful Joe but from what I've heard that is a pretty good use of 2D and 3D mixed. I know what you guys are saying about SF3 being better - but in the future there should be no reason why you couldn't do an exact copy of a 2D game in 3D which would have all the advantages of 3D whilst at the same time having the gameplay of a 2D game.

I think 2D games will actually still be around. If they are good - they will exist. The reason I think they are not so popular now is because the 2D games now are just the same as they were years ago - but maybe with more colours, more bullets, more moves, more animation frames. Its just not inspiring or exciting enough for your average punter.

I think that's me decided on buying a jap PS2 - so I can play Hokuto No Ken! (and rumblefish)

I like buying games in a box too, but I am starting not to care now. When you have a lot of games - you just don't have space. Plus I keep thinking I could be dead in 10 years - is it going to matter whether I have all the games in a box or not? I think like this a lot now. I think I will always be pleased I have my Neo games though Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Ruderudie
As i have just returned from Japan last month, i can say that 2d games definitely still have a big share in the arcades there. Lots of old games still get a lot of love (all classic shooter, SF 2 and 3, AvsP, KOF and even Daikamura), and there is a whole bunch of new 2d games out now that are so popular you can talk of a revival of the genre i think. With the Vewlix and Lindbergh taking over the arcades comes a whole new sort of 2d game; HD gorgeous looking 2d games is the next big thing in Japan. Tatsunoko vs Capcom is one of those games, although not very big. I think it's pretty cool and it looks great, basically a modern Marvel vs Capcom.

Only thing i kind of regret is that all the other new popular 2d fighting games like Blazblue can't really excite me and are all pretty similar. It's the Guilty Gear engine turned fancy in most cases, and all the games are feeling very Japanese and have that cute or manga like style. Some people love that, i rather have a more serious theme in a game. Fact is that these games won't ever reach a wide audience of gamers like the new SF game does.

Despite that fact, i really think and hope that 2d is making a comeback now we have HD sprites. If you think about it, Cave still releases pretty old skool looking shooters and the arcades in Japan are just packed with astros and egrets playing Cave games. The Japanese care about quality and playability of games much more than about jaw dropping 3d graphics, where in the West everybody is more concerned about the looks of new games causing the fact that most released games look great but are pure garbage once you play them. Why do you think the retro gamer scene is so huge nowadays?

Now we get the best of both worlds again with KOF XII, at least i hope. A beautiful 2d game that's all about gameplay, just as we use to play the neo games in the arcades. If it's a decent selling game, maybe other developers will also see a future in HD sprite games. At least KOFXII can just float on the huge succes of SFIV and the interest of the new group of fighting game enthusiasts that came into existence because of the game. Let's hope for a 2d revival, at least in shooters and fighters!
Edited by Ruderudie on 24. April 2009 08:37

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
That makes a lot of sense you are right if i lived until 100 i would probably never get to play & enjoy all the past 2d games. My big fear is , as mentioned by you and Ninja what happens if in the future all games are download only , its already started. I have downloaded games on my 360 & PS3 and although ive paid for them i don,t actually feel like i own them and often delete them after a short while ( even half decent games) which is a silly waste of my cash but whats a game with out a box or even just a cartridge or disc. Well if guys like you and Ninja own Fist of The North Star i guess i will have a scout on ebay for it

RE: Hokuto No Ken...

I like 'Fist', probably largely due to 1) being a 2D fighting game fan & 2) FOTNS is my favourite Anime etc.

AS A GAME... It has the 'feel' of the GG games, albeit a bit more chunky and weighty - but it still feels like ACTUAL 2D, kinda like paper, as to me KOF & SF feels much 'thicker'. Hope this makes some sense. ANYWAY, in short, if you like GG, chances are you'll like this (and Basara X too perhaps?)

Ninja

STE C
Thanks Ninja im deffo gonna look for a copy theres a few on ebay so i shall invest shortly, i like Basara X so if its as good as that im in for treat. Maybe its not all doom & gloom as Rudie says if we dont mind importing as most of us on here do no a regular basis , then its a case of keeping our eyes open & letting each other know about any good 2D games for next gen consoles.
Edited by STE C on 24. April 2009 20:49

Jump to Forum: