Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Atomduck
Thread ID: 1671
Thread Info
There are 80 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 26678 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters!!!... Shoot em' up game??
The eccentric cat
lol at the thread right now. Seriously, I can't believe people are actually complaining about KOF characters flying! I mean, yes, its weird, but its obviously not meant to be taken seriously! Just a fun little diversion from the main games. ^^; (and besides, its not like this is the first time this has happened before, Parodius featured Goemon in there, which if you played his series, is really weird XD )

Shiny pretty much covered it all. XD

Its a shame people are putting this game off because its so farfetched. :\ I don't know about you guys, but using Kyo to blast some enemies out of the sky sounds really fun. ;D
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

TurboCro
Hey Cat:

I don't think people would be hating on this as much if we had gotten an decent KOF12 release. It seems like a waste of resources when it could have been put into the "rebirth" of the franchise. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Wild Tengu
Just go bankrupt already SNK, so a superior company like Capcom or Arc System Works can buy all of your franchises and do some actual good with them.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Shiny
Wild Tengu wrote:
Just go bankrupt already SNK, so a superior company like Capcom or Arc System Works can buy all of your franchises and do some actual good with them.

Sigh... Sometimes I wonder why you're even here y'know.

Then I remember all the garbage you've posted in other forums and wonder swiftly returns to the apathetic sigh.

Basashi King
lol whats going on in this thread?! take it easy gents!

personally i think it looks like a laugh. i doubt it will be a classic, but i look forward to shoving a few coins up it in january. its all good!

Mai

Michael Max
C'mon Shiny's right. Let's show a little respect, after all it's a Neo Geo fan site.

Wild Tengu
Shiny wrote:Sigh... Sometimes I wonder why you're even here y'know.

Then I remember all the garbage you've posted in other forums and wonder swiftly returns to the apathetic sigh.

Look man, I LOVED old school SNK. But ever since they came back, they've been up to nothing but no good, with a few exceptions like KOFMI2 (But SNK went ahead and canceled KOFMI3), the Neo-Geo collections (although even these are flawed occasionally with bad emulation, and laggy controls), NGBC, KOFXI and the UM games. They've been giving us crap like loli witch touching games, lame dating simulators, and pachinko games for their longest running franchises. Even the last Metal Slug installment was massively disappointing because of the lack of co-op and the fact it's on a portable, and really doesn't offer anything all that new.

We had a total disgrace that is Samurai Shodown Edge Of Destiny, which looks like it plays like a Soul Calibur clone with those stupid juggles. Hell, the game obviously didn't do well in arcades at all if took them two years to get it a console release, and even then it's only coming to the Xbox360, and the release has been delayed again and again.

Now after the epic failure the incomplete KOFXII was, they do a silly shmup with KOF characters, and now they have a Last Blade spin-off of some sorts starring Akari. It seems like all SNK is capable of for churning out a decent game is by rehashing the old stuff and re-releasing it again.

SNK is dead to me, unless they finish MOTW2 or do a 2D HD Samurai Shodown.

Shiny
Wild Tengu wrote:

Look man, I LOVED old school SNK. But ever since they came back, they've been up to nothing but no good, with a few exceptions like KOFMI2 (But SNK went ahead and canceled KOFMI3), the Neo-Geo collections (although even these are flawed occasionally with bad emulation, and laggy controls), NGBC, KOFXI and the UM games. They've been giving us crap like loli witch touching games, lame dating simulators, and pachinko games for their longest running franchises. Even the last Metal Slug installment was massively disappointing because of the lack of co-op and the fact it's on a portable, and really doesn't offer anything all that new.

We had a total disgrace that is Samurai Shodown Edge Of Destiny, which looks like it plays like a Soul Calibur clone with those stupid juggles. Hell, the game obviously didn't do well in arcades at all if took them two years to get it a console release, and even then it's only coming to the Xbox360, and the release has been delayed again and again.

Now after the epic failure the incomplete KOFXII was, they do a silly shmup with KOF characters, and now they have a Last Blade spin-off of some sorts starring Akari. It seems like all SNK is capable of for churning out a decent game is by rehashing the old stuff and re-releasing it again.

It's kinda hard to argue with most of that... Apart from the "SNK is dead to me" bit. I think, given the rocky road SNK have traveled we should perhaps be glad they're still here at all. And sure, some of the newer games are less than perfect but they're still a damn sight closer to the kind of games I want to play than most of the crap that's dished out nowadays (I'll still take KoFXII over SF4 any and every day of the week, flaws and all). Saying that, I'm on your side with SSEoD but that's just because I hate ALL 3D fighters. And I apologise for speaking out of turn but you do seem to bitch a lot... Every once in a while it'd be nice to see a "looks pretty cool" Tengu post.

I can't pretend that SNKP have done a stellar job but hell, the shmup looks fun and that's really all I ask of it.

The eccentric cat
Wild Tengu wrote:

Yes, because the old SNK was so perfect, I mean, games like Ninja Master's and Samurai Shodown III were Game of the Year material, amirite? Roll Eyes

Wild Tengu
Ninja Master's isn't a SNK game, and Samurai Shodown III was awesomesauce until people discovered how broken it is. Thankfully they rectified that with IV and gave us Last Blade.

NeoGeoNinja
The eccentric cat wrote:
Yes, because the old SNK was so perfect, I mean, games like Ninja Master's and Samurai Shodown III were Game of the Year material, amirite? Roll Eyes

DAMN...
Samurai Shodown 3 & Ninja Masters are both awesome games Cat. Game of the year? I doubt... but 2 great games in their own right? Certainly!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

The eccentric cat
My point is old SNK themselves weren't perfect. What you guys are saying is purely subjective. Ignoring the good games, and focusing on 2 bad games (Samurai Shodown EoD, and KOF XII ), and then saying Playmore sucks? lolwut
Edited by The eccentric cat on 18. November 2009 23:10

NeoGeoNinja
The eccentric cat wrote:
My point is old SNK themselves weren't perfect. What you guys are saying is purely subjective. Ignoring the good games, and focusing on 2 bad games (Samurai Shodown EoD, and KOF XII ), and then saying Playmore sucks? lolwut

I NEVER SAID...
Playmore sucks. SSEOD looks terrible and I'm not going to argue with PPL on it. I had this last time regarding BlazBlue and how I couldn't tell from videos that it was just another 'GuiltyGear' style game. Guess what? I was right all along. Like PPL said though I DID give it a chance but alas it's hyperactive & floaty floaty ways are not for me! Yes, I have the ability to judge a game without playing it DEPENDING on what it is mind. It's not a gift or anything, it's just good intuition as far as I'm concerned. Fighters are pretty easy to gauge, shmups not so much.

I CERTAINLY DO NOT...
think Playmore suck btw. In truth, I'd say I support them MORE than most here! especially if you look at my personal purchases. Hell, I own 90% (at least) of the SNKP JP releases for PS2 and all the UK SNKP releases too! I'm impressed with what they've managed to do with the likes of KOF for example (03&XI being 2 of my fave KOF's to date) and impressed with their want to push KOFXII whilst remaining 2D. It's a genuine shame that they were pressured, by their own financial issues, to push a barebones product into the console market.

I support them and the majority of their ventures, but EOD & KOFSS are 2 lacklustre and ill-conceived productions I will not be partaking in. That doesn't mean others will not extract pleasure from them. It's just a matter of principle for me. SNKP are very capable of good things, regardless of the nay-sayers. I just feel that in purchasing those 2 aformentioned games, that you are supporting SNKP's venture into sub-standard product development to turn a quick buck (KOF here... SS there). It just doesn't wash with me. I suppose, indirectly, the same does apply to KOFXII too (sadly) due to what can only be described as an incomplete game BY console standards (not arcade). If you BUY into these sub-standard efforts, it sends the wrong msg IMO: that you/they can churn out any old chuff with a name and make money from it. I mean, what next? A Metal Slug 3rd person Shmup, in 3D! Ohhh... oh I see.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Wild Tengu
The eccentric cat wrote:

You forget about the other stupid games they make, like the LOL LOLI WITCH FEEL UP GAMES and LUL PACHINKO and all of the lame cellphone crap (SNK Beach Volleyball, Dating Sims, etc) nobody cares about.

I mean seriously, SNK Playmore's track record since coming back hasn't been any good.

In 2004 we got Neowave, then we got 94-Rebout and MI on PS2. Mind you NeoWave was nothing more than 2k2 with a few extra characters tacked on, ugly backgrounds, horrible HUD, a few interesting new playstyle grooves, and Young Geese for a boss. Re-Bout never got a USA release. And MI was widely panned, yet did well enough to garner a sequel.

In 2005, which was probably their biggest year, we got XI, NGBC and SS Tenka. We got three pretty good games, even though they still used low-res sprites, they played nicely and had alot to offer.

In 2006 we got MI2 and Metal Slug 6. MI2 was a major improvement over the first, and Metal Slug 6 added Ralf and Clark which was a nice addition.

In 2007 and 2008, we got nothing major besides KOF98UM, and MIRA, which added in a few extra characters, but took out nearly all of the content MI2 had, and instead comes with all the stuff unlocked. Pretty much only worth playing competitively, but even MIRA's competition didn't last long with KOF98UM coming out.

And of course, there were truckloads of collections/ports during those times, but again, just SNK re-hashing stuff again.

Granted, old SNK wasn't perfect either, but they were in a completely different league than the SNK-Playmore we have today. Old SNK had more man power, and could handle releasing multiple games every year, but SNK Playmore has enough trouble trying to release even just one good title a year.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 19. November 2009 00:29

boogiepop
As I recall, those loli loli witch-touching games and such crap actually made them money, which means they won't be going away. And pachinko is a much bigger business than the arcade scene, by far. But that stuff doesn't get released here anyway, so what's your big problem with it? They help fund games like XII so you can't complain about them wasting precious resources on such projects. I guess the only real problem you can have is that they're tainting your image of SNK which is just so Nintendo fanboyish.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Wild Tengu
See that's the thing, they are wasting resources on CRAP nobody outside of GLORIOUS NIPPON gives two shits about when SNK can be putting that effort into a MOTW2, 2D HD Samurai Shodown, 2D HD Metal Slug, or bring back some of their other classic franchises, or you know, actually do something brand new instead of relying on collections for the PS2 nobody will buy because everybody just emulators everything now a days.

I seriously doubt those loli witch touching games are making SNK any money. Seriously. Have you seen any of those games on Famitsu's top seller lists? And mind you, a top seller in Japan sells maybe 80,000-100,000 units in a single week, with the lowest seller around 10,000 units.

I highly doubt SNK's pachinko machines are that popular compared to ones based on popular anime or movies. SNK hasn't released a new Fatal Fury game in over a decade, why would people wanna play a Fatal Fury pachinko game? They probably don't even know what Fatal Fury is anymore. Pfft

You also have to consider the market for pachinko and arcades in general are declining in Japan. They aren't as great of business as they used to be.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 19. November 2009 02:29

Basashi King
'I highly doubt SNK's pachinko machines are that popular compared to ones based on popular anime or movies.'

pachinko is generally only played by middle aged / older men who want to get out of the house to zone out for a few hours and burn cash. i dont think they give a s*** what the machine is based on.

as for the decline of both game centres and pachinko parlours you may be right, but its hard to judge just from being in tokyo where it doesnt seem to be the case. it seems to me though that just as the oldies play pachinko, when our generation gets older it will be game centres. pachinko wont survive. there may be something else for the new kidz.

The eccentric cat
Wild Tengu wrote:
See that's the thing, they are wasting resources on CRAP nobody outside of GLORIOUS NIPPON gives two shits about when SNK can be putting that effort into a MOTW2, 2D HD Samurai Shodown, 2D HD Metal Slug, or bring back some of their other classic franchises, or you know, actually do something brand new instead of relying on collections for the PS2 nobody will buy because everybody just emulators everything now a days.

I seriously doubt those loli witch touching games are making SNK any money. Seriously. Have you seen any of those games on Famitsu's top seller lists? And mind you, a top seller in Japan sells maybe 80,000-100,000 units in a single week, with the lowest seller around 10,000 units.

I highly doubt SNK's pachinko machines are that popular compared to ones based on popular anime or movies. SNK hasn't released a new Fatal Fury game in over a decade, why would people wanna play a Fatal Fury pachinko game? They probably don't even know what Fatal Fury is anymore. Pfft

You also have to consider the market for pachinko and arcades in general are declining in Japan. They aren't as great of business as they used to be.

So, SNK isn't allowed to make money anymore? lol

That loli witch game you keep on mentioning was popular enough to garner a sequel, btw. But, its not being released overseas, so... lol o.o;

Just be patient until SNK makes more announcements. Until then, enjoy this KOF shmup right now. ;3

Wild Tengu
Hard to enjoy a game that'll never see the light outside of Japan, and I am definitely not spending 80 dollars to import a PSP game.

The eccentric cat
lol k then. Well, have fun with whatever SNK game you're enjoying at the moment. ;D

Jump to Forum: