Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Atomduck
Thread ID: 1671
Thread Info
There are 80 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 26979 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters!!!... Shoot em' up game??
The eccentric cat
I still think its weird that KOF turned into a shmup now. Also why is Athena a boss. XD

Also, I don't see the problem of it being a Shikigami clone. Is it really that big of a deal?
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

reelmojo
Yeah, it doesn't look like a game that's meant to be taken seriously. Shooting things makes me smile, shooting things as Kyo, Iori, and Kula will make me smile more. Smile

I do expect at least one more playable character though. Ash or K' would be nice. I'm guessing all of the bosses will be KoF characters, Athena being the boss of Stage 1. It's not like they said she's the boss of the entire game or anything. Keeping my fingers crossed for Omega Rugal on that one.

reelmojo
Update!

Official fliers are out in Japan:

www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/kof-sky-fly2.jpg
www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/kof-sky-fly.jpg

Things of note: Japanese Arcade release is January 2010. It's on Taito Type X, not Type X2 so it'll be cheaper to produce which will hopefully help SNK turn a profit. There are six playable characters, Kyo, Athena, Kula, Iori, Terry, and Mai. KOF Skystage is the official title.
Edited by reelmojo on 16. November 2009 18:35

Mr Vengeance
Can't wait!

Shiny
So it's ESP Ra.De. with KoF characters... Sounds cool to me. Smile

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
So it's ESP Ra.De. with KoF characters... Sounds cool to me. Smile

ESP Ra.De... where on Earth did you get that from??? Floating/Flying 'people' shmup maybe? One BIG difference - a major one too - ESP RaDe is made by Cave... god knows who's making this! I wouldn't be surprised if it actually IS Alfa!! One things for sure this SkyShite won't be a patch on the likes of ESP Ra.De or ESPGaluda.

This is (to me) just a KOF knock-off Shikigami No Shiro series with KOF characters. Sure the SNShiro games are OK... but they are just 'OK', and were only OK in 2000... not 10 years later! Seriously, this game looks shocking. I'm all up for supporting SNKP with their more recent efforts, BUT not this (and not SSEODestiny either). SNKP seriously need to pull their socks up, as this is a shocking display of un-originality and shameless KOF flogging, FUCK not even SF/Capcom have a SF shmup! Shameful IMO.

Fingers crossed for a KOFXIII as opposed to the recent 'Beta' or else, the future definitely looks bleak for SNKP... sadly.

Apologies to all who might be offended by this 'negativity' but honestly, I'm a KOF fan AND I'm an avid shmup collector and THIS horrifies me!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Looking at a video of the game it does look decent but if I was in an arcade in Japan there's no way I would play this with a load of Cave shooters and Raiden IV on offer. It definitely looks quite inferior to them. Why play this when you could be playing Mushihime sama Futari etc.?

I know some people here are excited about this game and I really hope it lives up to their expectations and they have fun with it but personally I wouldn't touch it. I just think a shoot 'em up featuring KOF characters is truly bizarre. I think Playmore are really milking the KOF franchise to the absolute max.

Wild Tengu
I don't know whats worse. A shooter featuring KOF characters or a shooter featuring loli's.

I'll take my military jet planes, space ships and other aircraft (or sea craft, like submarines!), or even army commando's walking on foot over that crap. Pfft

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Raiken
Hmm. Looks interesting. I'd definitely give it a shot. It's nice to see Kula in a game again.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

Shiny
Looks alright to me... What are we all bitching about? If it turns out to be fun then who cares.

Capcom make a puzzle game out of SF and nobody complains, SNK make a card game, a few quiz games and nobody complains, but somehow a shmup is breaking the rules? Pfft.

Wild Tengu
Well it's kinda retarded having guys like TERRY BOGARD flying in the air, which makes no sense.

Shiny
I think the reason we like videogames is because they don't make sense... If games made sense they'd be boring.

You think a guy being able to throw fire from his hands makes sense?

Or this cannon attached to a wee aircraft in DoDonPachi makes sense?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/DoDonpachi23.jpg

I ain't picking a fight, I'm just saying...

reelmojo
On the internet, people will bitch. About anything. Always.

You're right though Shiny, this isn't a game to be taken seriously. It's just twitch action fun with a bunch of KOF fan service thrown in. The nay-sayers don't have to enjoy it, but from the looks of things I'm going to.

RiKo
i'll have to check this out, can't they make Ralf and Terry pilots taking on Geeses' evil dictatorship in some poor thirdworld country,? though that would be a bit derivative.......its got to be better than Metal Slug 3d right?

how come SNK are making this rather than MOTW2? thats what annoys me, all these pointless games to mug the fans off, when they could be doing something proper decent. they didn't even put full effort into KOFXII. esp Capcom showed them how to reinvent a franchise.

sticking with 2d can only be done if you make an unmissable game and they didn't.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Wild Tengu
SNK better give us a damn good reason why Terry Bogard and the other guys can suddenly FLY in the air.

Also, SNK has another new crap game coming out next year, some Last Blade game starring Akari... yeah...

Midian
I agree that it's a bit dissapointing that SNKP isn't concentrating on a new fighting game or anything, but I think this game looks at least decent and it ain't pachinko.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
I think the reason we like videogames is because they don't make sense... If games made sense they'd be boring.

I WAS GONNA LEAVE IT...
No... I was! I wasn't gonna bother replying, but then the following 'embolded' comment spurned me on. I (stupidly) took it personally... Even though Ninja's have no emotions. Emotions make a weak Ninja. Yes... so on we go:

reelmojo wrote:

You're right though Shiny, this isn't a game to be taken seriously. It's just twitch action fun with a bunch of KOF fan service thrown in. The nay-sayers don't have to enjoy it, but from the looks of things I'm going to.

OK... to start with I'd like to think, after being here constantly day after day (for nearly a year now) that I'm not just 'People'. People are those idiots you find leaving pointless comments on YouTube and calling each other 'fags' etc for no good reason.

Secondly I'll explain why this so-called KOF shmup is a joke. Shiny pointed out that Puzzle Fighter and KOF Quiz etc exist and no-one complains. This is because they were tastefully executed and still, somehow managed to remain in context (Puzzle Fighters fighting while, er... you puzzle). Also there was an argument about games making sense and about big blasts of death coming from the front of a DoDonPachi craft. Again, it's not really about sense as a whole but again, remaining within context of themselves. KOF characters flying through the air fighting pants non-descript enemies up until a boss battle, actually, makes no sense and is completely out of context with what we've come to expect. While I don't necessarily think that it's a case of this game doing more harm than good, I do think it's a waste of time, and as RiKo said, this time could've been better spent working (then) on KOFXII for example. As it is KOFXII has, apparently, failed quite miserably and this is a quick cash fix. But it's pathetic. It's just a real low IMO.

AGAIN... I think that because I am a sizeable KOF fan (since 95... sadly missed 94!) and I have a pretty sizeable knowledge of Shmups, that I, in particular, find this game offensive. Cameo's are do-able (i.e. Morrigan in GBird 2... or even Heihachi & Paul in Xevious 3D/G+) but a full blown KOF shmup?

I'm not criticising PPL for enjoying the game btw. Enjoyment is a positive thing and does not require discouragement. It just seems such a pointless exercise making a KOF shmup that will NOT be outstanding, I doubt successful and based on the concept of a series that wasn't that great to begin with IMO. Either side of the fence (consumer/developer) it just looks like a big waste of time and money.

JUST TO FINALISE... this isn't fact. It's just my opinion and I DON'T bitch for the sake of bitching... only if I care enough, NOT ENOUGH to fall out with PPL though! In truth my argument isn't really aimed at anyone here, moreso SNKP themselves I guess Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Shiny
Wild Tengu wrote:
SNK better give us a damn good reason why Terry Bogard and the other guys can suddenly FLY in the air.

Yeah, and when they've done that I want an explanation for the power geiser! Surely no man can do that really... C'mon SNK, explain yourselves.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Shiny wrote:

I WAS GONNA LEAVE IT...
No... I was! I wasn't gonna bother replying, but then the following 'embolded' comment spurned me on. I (stupidly) took it personally... Even though Ninja's have no emotions. Emotions make a weak Ninja. Yes... so on we go:

reelmojo wrote:

OK... to start with I'd like to think, after being here constantly day after day (for nearly a year now) that I'm not just 'People'. People are those idiots you find leaving pointless comments on YouTube and calling each other 'fags' etc for no good reason.

Secondly I'll explain why this so-called KOF shmup is a joke. Shiny pointed out that Puzzle Fighter and KOF Quiz etc exist and no-one complains. This is because they were tastefully executed and still, somehow managed to remain in context (Puzzle Fighters fighting while, er... you puzzle). Also there was an argument about games making sense and about big blasts of death coming from the front of a DoDonPachi craft. Again, it's not really about sense as a whole but again, remaining within context of themselves. KOF characters flying through the air fighting pants non-descript enemies up until a boss battle, actually, makes no sense and is completely out of context with what we've come to expect. While I don't necessarily think that it's a case of this game doing more harm than good, I do think it's a waste of time, and as RiKo said, this time could've been better spent working (then) on KOFXII for example. As it is KOFXII has, apparently, failed quite miserably and this is a quick cash fix. But it's pathetic. It's just a real low IMO.

AGAIN... I think that because I am a sizeable KOF fan (since 95... sadly missed 94!) and I have a pretty sizeable knowledge of Shmups, that I, in particular, find this game offensive. Cameo's are do-able (i.e. Morrigan in GBird 2... or even Heihachi & Paul in Xevious 3D/G+) but a full blown KOF shmup?

I'm not criticising PPL for enjoying the game btw. Enjoyment is a positive thing and does not require discouragement. It just seems such a pointless exercise making a KOF shmup that will NOT be outstanding, I doubt successful and based on the concept of a series that wasn't that great to begin with IMO. Either side of the fence (consumer/developer) it just looks like a big waste of time and money.

JUST TO FINALISE... this isn't fact. It's just my opinion and I DON'T bitch for the sake of bitching... only if I care enough, NOT ENOUGH to fall out with PPL though! In truth my argument isn't really aimed at anyone here, moreso SNKP themselves I guess Hmm

Ninja

I think it was meant generally, and internet-wide. For the most part it's true, people love to bitch, it's their form of entertainment, slagging things off.

As for the shmup, I honestly don't see what everyone's griping about. How exactly is Puzzle Fighter in context? Because the characters mimic special moves while the player is "puzzling"? Don't make me laugh. The quiz games are in context because the questions are about KoF? By those standards Sky Stage is in context because the characters are in it. I just don't see the basis for pre-playing slating. Again, I'm not picking fights, I'm just suggesting a little logic... Saying the game sucks before anyone's actually played it based on it's concept being "far-fetched" is pretty ridiculous considering the original characters (which nobody criticises) already do superhuman things constantly.

I'm not sure about the thinking behind it or whether or not it will turn a decent profit for SNKP but as long as the game's fun to play it's a win for us, right?

Shiny
Moving on from the illogical slating... I think it looks a blast. Can't wait to have a crack at it. Fewer and fewer companies are making these kinds of games nowadays, let's be thankfull there are still some left catering for those of us stuck in the arcadey past.

YouTube Video

reelmojo
Within the confines of the general SNK universe, no, flying KoF characters doesn't make any sense. It would seem then that this game isn't supposed to be canon with anything else and is just a shooter made for fun/fan service. And since the original announcement said it would be an XBLA game, that means that everyone will be able to try a demo before buying it. All I'm saying is I'm very much looking forward to trying it. I'm not as schooled in scrolling shooters as some so that might actually help me to enjoy the game as I've never played any Shikigami games.

Ninja, I wasn't directing that at you personally. I just hate how in any topic about a game that no one has played there will always be people bitching about how horrible said game is. Check out the Samurai Showdown: Edge of Destiny thread for another example, or for a more extreme example:

Wild Tengu wrote:Also, SNK has another new crap game coming out next year, some Last Blade game starring Akari... yeah...

All we know about the game is the Japanese title, and already it's crap? Roll Eyes

Shiny, cool video! Mai looks fun to play as. Too bad it seems to cut just before the boss because I'm curious how the bosses work in this game. It's possible the bosses will just be the other playable characters, but I'm hoping for actual KoF bosses like Geese and Rugal. Also, I just know someone will jump up and say that Cave still makes scrolling shooters, but since this will be an XBLA title it's important to point out that this one should actually be released outside of Japan.

Jump to Forum: