Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Atomduck
Thread ID: 1671
Thread Info
There are 80 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 26543 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters!!!... Shoot em' up game??
Atomduck
I'm as confused as you are...
http://kotaku.com...-game-bwah

This is all a shock but it has potential!

NeoGeoNinja
CHEERS FOR THIS ATOM!

Looks like Shikigami No Shiro meets KOF!

Shame the 2nd player is Athena... would've preferred Iori.. obvious, I know, but hey!

Ninja

Midian
King of WTF Grin
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

STE C
I agree it looks just like the Shiro shooters , could be interesting and any new SNK game is worth getting excited about considering the low output this last few years

Kingofweasles
This has GOT to be one of SNKP's most "WTF?" moves i've seen in years...And i hope it works out wellMusic!
"Ah, it's good to be the King!"

reelmojo
Hooray for free online translations:

"The SNK play moa, the software for the Xbox 360 LIVE arcade, 'the king of [huaitazusukaisuteji] (temporary subject)' announced that it transmits.As for transmission due date undecided and the Microsoft point undecided.
'As for the king of [huaitazusukaisuteji] (temporary subject)', the shooting game where the character of the popularity 2D grapple game 'the king of Fighters' series appears.The system of orthodox vertical scroll shooting is adopted, the chestnut the colorful shot which respectively utilizes feature every character it is possible to put out."

More Engrishy than Blazing Star's ending, but you get the point. It's an XBLA game, the title isn't final, and neither is the price. In this era of widescreen gaming it seems odd to me that they chose to make this vertically scrolling instead of horizontally. I'm still very much looking forward to it though. Here's hoping it comes to PSN too for those anti-Microsoft types. Wink

Somewhat related... I vaguely remember a vertically scrolling shooter in the PS1 era where you could play as Heihachi and Paul from Tekken. Anyone know which game that was?
Edited by reelmojo on 23. April 2009 11:16

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Hooray for free online translations:

"The SNK play moa, the software for the Xbox 360 LIVE arcade, 'the king of [huaitazusukaisuteji] (temporary subject)' announced that it transmits.As for transmission due date undecided and the Microsoft point undecided.
'As for the king of [huaitazusukaisuteji] (temporary subject)', the shooting game where the character of the popularity 2D grapple game 'the king of Fighters' series appears.The system of orthodox vertical scroll shooting is adopted, the chestnut the colorful shot which respectively utilizes feature every character it is possible to put out."

More Engrishy than Blazing Star's ending, but you get the point. It's an XBLA game, the title isn't final, and neither is the price. In this era of widescreen gaming it seems odd to me that they chose to make this vertically scrolling instead of horizontally. I'm still very much looking forward to it though. Here's hoping it comes to PSN too for those anti-Microsoft types. Wink

Somewhat related... I vaguely remember a vertically scrolling shooter in the PS1 era where you could play as Heihachi and Paul from Tekken. Anyone know which game that was?

HEY MOJO!? I'm one of those Anti-Microsoft types don't ya know?! Grin

Admittedly, perhaps making the game more like Sengoku Blade (for example) would have made more sense in the HD Widescreen era. However, personally, I have a preference for Vertcal Scrollers myself.

AS FOR YOUR PAUL & HEIHACHI... query, at a guess (and it is a guess), It may have been a Xevious of some sort... probably 3D/G+ on PS1, but as I say, I'm not honestly sure. I THINK they were both (or at least Paul was) in Namco Smash Court on the PS1 too, long before all this Smash Court Tennis stuff of today.

OFF TOPIC(ish)... but I always loved the fact that Paul & Law were unlockables for completing the AWESOME & underrated Urban Reign. A fine, fine beat-em up alternative. Very good indeed (especially in 4P multitap fights!)

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 23. April 2009 13:33

Zakatek
I hope this game will come to psn too.

Kazuya_UK
Definitely "wtf" but it does look interesting. Nice to see something a bit more original though at least, would like to see more stuff like this from SNK on Live/PSN.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
reelmojo
You just said "original" and that's exactly why I'm excited about this game. A new game from SNK that's not a sequel or re-release makes me happy. Hopefully the trend continues.

NeoGeoNinja
MORE IMPORTANTLY...

or, err... not as the case may be, how SICK would a:

KOF based Parodius style shmup be?

IF POSSIBLE... I'd probably resurrect Psikyo to develop it in a similar graphical style to Gradius V if possible (i.e. a glorious 2D/3D shmup with amazing visuals and gameplay to more than match!)

I'D HAVE the 'ships' resemble the same kind of character stances found in Sengoku Blade & Sol Divide, as opposed to making them 'superman/men?'

COMING UP AGAINST... waist high, giant versions of Geese, Goenitz, Rugal & Co. etc using shmup tailored versions of their attacks, specials and supers!

I'd have teams of 3: 2 selectable characters with the 3rd, in effect being the 'striker'/megacrush. For example: Kensou & Athena selectable - Chin as the smart bomb ( fire based I expect) or K' & Whip - she'd use her gun - Maxima as the smart bomb (I'd have him doing his cannoballing antics off the walls like a madman!)

I'D also have them equpped with a melee attack (combo?) like in Sol Divide too. That was one feature of Sol Divide I quite enjoyed, the ability to run in and combo the f*ck out of your enemies. Thumbs Up

I COULD GO ON... I think. I can visualise most of this stuff quite easily. In hind sight, would it be better strictly in 2D? The BIG bosses would look amazing just in 2D I think. Hmm

ALL THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Ah well. Roll Eyes

Ninja

neoandy
It's really reassuring to see SNK working on something that isn't a slot machine! Indeed, this is really weird, but it's something. I hope this is just the start the new wave of SNK games that I've been waiting for. I'm pretty sure that I read that this is going to be a 2010 release though, which is a long wait, but of course I'll have KOFXII to keep me busy.

reelmojo
Quite the bump, but with good reason...

YouTube Video

I wasn't even aware there was going to be an arcade version. I'm hoping the bosses are other KoF characters as well, because the fight with Athena looks really cool. Also, props to SNK for going with Kyo's awesome Nests Saga outfit.

Now that I've seen it in action I'm really looking forward to this! An actual new SNK game that isn't a sequel! Sure it's a spin-off, but beggars can't be choosers.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Quite the bump, but with good reason...

I wasn't even aware there was going to be an arcade version. I'm hoping the bosses are other KoF characters as well, because the fight with Athena looks really cool. Also, props to SNK for going with Kyo's awesome Nests Saga outfit.

Now that I've seen it in action I'm really looking forward to this! An actual new SNK game that isn't a sequel! Sure it's a spin-off, but beggars can't be choosers.

WELL... my initial response remains unchanged:

NeoGeoNinja wrote:

...Looks like Shikigami No Shiro meets KOF!

Ninja

APART FROM THE FACT THAT...
this game looks terrible! Similarly to the forthcoming KOF movie I cannot believe that they are prepared to put the KOF name to this gash! The character looks fine, but the standard/intermediate enemies are pathetic. In truth, what could you put in between?! You couldn't and you never could have really, so this game shouldn't even exist. Somehow that guy DIDN'T even clear the 1st stage... WTF??

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES... with the somewhat overrated Shikigami No Shiro series too. They're competent shooters, but by no means the best. Homaru was a bit better then both those but if you really want to fly around as a human-type 'craft' just buy Psyvariar2 instead. Awesome game.

BUT THIS KOF SHMUP... has overly offensive enemies, especially considering the overall calibur of the series and it's heritage! So...

THE ONLY WAY...
I could ever see this game working, is if, like in Chaos Field (DC, GC, PS2) all the battles were just a series of boss battles. In turn they would have to create many characters, each with attacks and styles unique to the actual Fighting game character, indeed moves, elements etc mimicking their true selves, with their own bullet patterns etc. You would fight them in teams of 3 (per stage) if you will, like in a KOF game until you reach the Boss Team followed by the Final Boss (with the obvious 'transformation' ). I'd love to fight a Shmup Orochi Team as the sub-sub bosses, followed by their transformations, followed by the boss team (KOF Bosses: Orochi, Goenitz & Orochi Iori, or Krizalid, Zero & Igniz etc) and obviously Rugal (KFC) then Omega Rugal transformation to end?

BUT THIS IS ALL JUST DOWN...
to my personal taste and opinion (AS ALWAYS guys, don't forget!) but for me, so far ,that KOF game looks hideous, boring and somewhat unoriginal Thumbs Down

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 24. September 2009 17:37

reelmojo
Iori and Kula confirmed as playable characters. Athena appears to not be playable as originally thought.

www.fightersgeneration.com/np2/game1/athena-sk.jpgwww.fightersgeneration.com/np2/game1/kof-sk.jpgwww.fightersgeneration.com/np2/game1/kof-sk2.jpgwww.fightersgeneration.com/np2/game1/kula-sk.jpgwww.fightersgeneration.com/np2/game1/kula-sk2.jpg

Powerwave
i dont think ile ever bother with this game but.... it does sound like a fun and unusual idea.
"Handsome punch-bags never loose battles"
- powerwave the punch bag (bonus kun's lame brother)

Wild Tengu
SNK needs to remake Ikari Warriors. Now that would own. We need a manly shooter where you play has commando's with a huge artillery of weaponry, like Shock Troopers.
Edited by Wild Tengu on 15. October 2009 22:07

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
NeoGeoNinja
I LOVE 'SHMUPS'...
but this still looks absolute gash to me Shrug

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

TurboCro
As stated by Ninja, who needs another Shikigami?

Mr Vengeance
I'm going to buy it regardless, I just love all shooters!

Jump to Forum: