Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1661
Thread Info
There are 64 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 29441 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Unreleased Neo Geo games
merlin
I've always been fascinated by the games which were developed for the Neo Geo but never released. There are loads of threads about this subject at neo-geo.com so I know I'm not alone in this. I was just wondering if you could get a chance to play any of these which ones would you most want to play? Remember it is a possibility that proto MVS carts could be found and then the roms dumped. There are a lot of rumours about these games and it's hard to know what to beleive but I've read that some of these protos are thought to have been found.

I was reading yesterday at neo-geo.com about Ghostlop. It seems that a group of members there found the game for sale at quite a high price, put their money together and then made the rom available so we can all play it now. I think you'll agree Ghostlop is a great game so we shouldn't assume that all unreleased games are poor quality. For anyone who hasn't already seen it here's the Neo proto page:

http://www.neogeo...

Here's a list I found yesterday which includes info about shows these games were exhibited at.

http://unibios.fr...elease.txt

The Neo Geo master list has info on these games too.

http://www.neo-ge...erlist.htm

It's interesting that Ninja Gaiden 2 seems to been possibly in development for the Neo Geo. Also I noticed that ADK were working on some kind of dancing game. I'm not sure how that would have worked. Yumekobo were working on a side scrolling beat 'em up so I wonder how that would have turned out.

The games which look most interesting to me:

Pinball Fantasia Last Odyssey
Pinball with a fantasy theme in which you are a warrior travelling on a journey through the land. Each stage has a boss for example a dragon, manticore and goblin. This is the game people tend to want to play the most out of all the protos. I did read that this has been found and although I'm sceptical if it's actually true then hopefully the rom might one day become available.

http://www.neogeo...dyssey.htm

http://www.snk-ca...000017.htm

img10.imageshack.us/img10/3517/neogeofreakvol2lastodys.jpg

img14.imageshack.us/img14/3517/neogeofreakvol2lastodys.jpg

The Eye of Typhoon
Viccom's second Neo Geo fighting game which was ported on 3DO and PC but only in South Korea. This is sometimes referred to as Fight Fever 2 but that's a bit inaccurate because all the characters are different. Here's my thread which I've updated a few times recently:

http://www.neogeo...post_18024

The Warlocks of the Fates (Shinryu Senki)
This fantasy themed fighting game from 1995 by Astec21 has always intrigued me. Although of course you can't really tell much from the screenshots the backgrounds look very nice and colourful. What's unusual is that the lifebars and timer are at the bottom of the screen just like in Blandia. I found some scans yesterday from NeoGeoFreak magazine showing all the characters and a lot of screenshots. It is thought this game has been found but it's hard to know what to believe. I really really want to play it though.

http://www.neogeo...rlocks.htm

img14.imageshack.us/img14/4474/ss1mos.jpg

img10.imageshack.us/img10/9726/ss2u.jpg

img14.imageshack.us/img14/8061/neogeofreakvol1sinryuse.jpg

img11.imageshack.us/img11/8061/neogeofreakvol1sinryuse.jpg

img14.imageshack.us/img14/4950/neogeofreakvol2sinryuse.jpg

img10.imageshack.us/img10/4950/neogeofreakvol2sinryuse.jpg

img25.imageshack.us/img25/4950/neogeofreakvol2sinryuse.jpg

img14.imageshack.us/img14/5407/neogeofreakvol2sinryusec.jpg

Perhaps I'm hoping for too much but maybe one day you never know it might be possible to play a few of these unreleased Neo Geo games and that would be very exciting.

Does anyone else find this kind of stuff interesting and what games would you most have liked to play?
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

cthulhu
It's really a shame these games were never released, but that happens to almost all older consoles (like all those unfinnished/unreleased games for the Atari Lynx).
Most interesting games for me in this list would be Pinball Fantasia: Last Odyssey and Shinryu Senki. Pinball Fantasia: Last Odyssey because I love Pinball games (real and computer) and especially Devil Crash (Dragon's Fury)...this game reminds me of that awesome game. Shinryu Senki because it just looked like a (potentially) great fighting game.
Edited by cthulhu on 16. April 2009 16:46
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Will
Not to mention Magician Lord 2 in addition. I wonder, does this cancelled game have a subtitle or it is called just "Magician Lord 2"?

Indeed many consoles have cancelled game like Blizzard Software's cancelled game "Warcraft Adventures" for Microsoft Windows PC.

If you're interested in cancelled games a lot you can check out the April Fools maps in www.vgmaps.com . There are recreations of the cancelled games "The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Hours" (Game Boy Colour) and "Metroid Dread" (Nintendo DS). I love games getting the recreations they deserve.Wink

Ninja Gaiden 2 on Neo-Geo you say Merlin? Is it "The Dark Sword of Chaos" game on the NES and SNES consoles? I never imagined any Tecmo game in SNK's development.
Edited by Will on 16. April 2009 17:58

merlin
Cthulhu I also really like pinball games and agree with you about Devil Crash. It's a great game and I especially like those bonus screens which are quite varied. Pinbot on the Nes is very good pinball game too. I like the whole fantasy theme of Last Odyssey and it would have been nice to have a pinball game on the Neo Geo. Perhaps it was a bad idea for in an arcade but for the home market it would have been good.

Will I also would have loved to play Magician Lord 2. I always wonder if they actually started the game and if so how far they got. As you know there are unfortunately no screenshots. Crossed Swords 2 could very easily never have been released either. I think ADK probably completed CS2 and then decided it wasn't going to be all that popular in the arcades and so shelved it. If it hadn't been for the launch of the CD system we might never have got a chance to play it. I think that if Magician Lord 2 had been finished or even nearly finished then we would have probably seen a Neo CD release for this too.

As for Ninja Gaiden 2 well I've never found any other information about this and there's no mention of it at the Neo Proto page either. That list I found yesterday states that there was a location test in July 1994. It's difficult to know if that's true though. It's interesting that Snk did assign 172 numbers for different games but there were only 148 official releases so that leaves 24 unreleased games which may or may not have been developed.

It is thought that some people do have some of these protos for example someone bought a copy of ADK's Fun Fun Brothers in '98 on ebay but has refused to cooperate in getting the rom dumped which is a shame.

Wild Tengu
img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/lom11wb.jpg

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
RiKo
Good thread Merlin - you are uncovering a lot of Neo Geo secrets! I like the sound of Ninja Gaiden II! would that be the sequel to Shadow Warriors? (European name) cos I have a lot of nostalgia for that game. I would buy it!

Definitely the pinball game for me. I love playing pinball games esp when they save scores and you have competition. They can be really addictive if done well.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
What on earth is that fighting game you posted that pic of Tengu it looks like a cross between SF3 & MOTW is it one of them Mugen games

merlin
Wild Tengu I'm a bit confused by that picture. I know it's the sequel to MOTW and recognize the screenshot from the Neo Geo proto page. Either you put that screenshot on a disc and put it into a dvd player to show it on the screen or perhaps you found that photo somewhere. Of course perhaps all this time you've been secretly in possession of MOTW 2 and have been keeping quiet about it. Grin

Thanks RiKo. A Ninja Gaiden game on the Neo Geo would have been nice but it's a distinct possibility that this might not even be true. I've not found anything else about this anywhere. For a similar game there's always Ganryu but personally I don't rate that very highly myself.

Wild Tengu
It's Garou:MOTW2, see Mr.Karate? Yeah.

Its what could of been.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
merlin
I didn't realise that Kaz has an excellent article here at NGFL about protos. I'd never seen it before.

http://www.neogeo...ticle_id=5

Here's a screenshot (PC version) showing the battle against Mahesvara the second and final boss in The Eye of Typhoon.

http://img25.imag...01/1ww.jpg

Perhaps I've got a bit too much time on my hands but I couldn't resist enlarging some Shinryu Senki screenshots. It's clear that this game is a battle between witches and warlocks in a fantasy world. There seem to be at least 10 characters whose names are: Ravi, J, Skal, Mhuo, Hirga, Vanity, Aisha, Klugheit, Abbadoom and Touto. I'm not 100% sure of the spelling of a few of those. Looking at the screenshots it's clear that the game has the 'neo zoom' feature. Also next to the names of the characters are different types of gems which could possibly be either something to do with supers or perhaps indicating how many rounds a player has won in the match so far. Here's a picture of Warlocks of the Fates AES which is almost certainly a fake but it looks very nice.

http://www.neogeo...rlocks.jpg

Shinryu Senki screenshots: (click to enlarge)

img16.imageshack.us/img16/6200/9005g.jpg

img4.imageshack.us/img4/5069/9001h.jpg

img14.imageshack.us/img14/38/9007u.jpg

img24.imageshack.us/img24/3671/9003e.jpg

img25.imageshack.us/img25/8366/9002n.jpg

img15.imageshack.us/img15/9666/9006.jpg

img13.imageshack.us/img13/3983/9008a.jpg

img18.imageshack.us/img18/1268/9004p.jpg
Edited by merlin on 19. April 2009 16:24

bojan4o
well this guy has the protos for crossed swords 2 and the warlocks of the fate

sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs511.snc3/26840_1270669562978_1117039144_30642994_4289627_n.jpg
and i dont know if its allowed to post here his facebook????
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Wonderboy
IMO those look fake because the colors are too bright. Of course, this could just be the camera's error. Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
merlin
Nice pic Bojan but unfortunately they are almost certainly fakes. I don't know if you've heard of them but the infamous 'Neo Geo Freak' aka Chris and Dion (who took their name from the Japanese magazine) were responsible for that picture. There's loads of info about NGF at the neo-geo.com forums if you want to find out more them. I think they took all those screenshots on the inserts from Neo Geo Freak magazines.

When scanning those magazines recently I found quite a few pages about QP a game being developed for MVS in 1997 by Success who were the company also behind the Cotton shoot 'em ups. It seems like quite an unusual type of game that include quiz elements. If I've read this correctly it seems to say in one of the copies of Neo Geo Freak that the game was 85% complete. They may well have actually finished the game though and I did hear a rumour that possibly they considered releasing it for the NGCD. Here are a few pages about QP although the quality has suffered a bit because the jpegs were resized. Click a few times to get the full size.

img541.imageshack.us/img541/8127/img0041xe.th.jpg img690.imageshack.us/img690/2783/img0042gxc.th.jpg img190.imageshack.us/img190/2655/img0060ku.th.jpg

img20.imageshack.us/img20/9504/img0061rau.th.jpg img34.imageshack.us/img34/4282/img0062mh.th.jpg img375.imageshack.us/img375/5880/img0063i.th.jpg

img408.imageshack.us/img408/1165/img00652c.th.jpg img412.imageshack.us/img412/3499/img0065mc.th.jpg img293.imageshack.us/img293/9795/img0072s.th.jpg

img28.imageshack.us/img28/3475/img0073ip.th.jpg
Edited by merlin on 23. May 2010 11:34

lee gray
Yeah NGF are responsible for the kof2000 homecart fiasco

as for MOTW 2 the fact that it was over 70 percent complete makes it even more annoying that it never got completed, even if they released it with just 3 quarters of the game ready i think i would still get it

bojan4o
merlin wrote:
Nice pic Bojan but unfortunately they are almost certainly fakes. I don't know if you've heard of them but the infamous 'Neo Geo Freak' aka Chris and Dion (who took their name from the Japanese magazine) were responsible for that picture. There's loads of info about NGF at the neo-geo.com forums if you want to find out more them. I think they took all those screenshots on the inserts from Neo Geo Freak magazines.

When scanning those magazines recently I found quite a few pages about QP a game being developed for MVS in 1997 by Success who were the company also behind the Cotton shoot 'em ups. It seems like quite an unusual type of game that include quiz elements. If I've read this correctly it seems to say in one of the copies of Neo Geo Freak that the game was 85% complete. They may well have actually finished the game though and I did hear a rumour that possibly they considered releasing it for the NGCD. Here are a few pages about QP although the quality has suffered a bit because the jpegs were resized. Click a few times to get the full size.

img541.imageshack.us/img541/8127/img0041xe.th.jpg img690.imageshack.us/img690/2783/img0042gxc.th.jpg img190.imageshack.us/img190/2655/img0060ku.th.jpg

img20.imageshack.us/img20/9504/img0061rau.th.jpg img34.imageshack.us/img34/4282/img0062mh.th.jpg img375.imageshack.us/img375/5880/img0063i.th.jpg

img408.imageshack.us/img408/1165/img00652c.th.jpg img412.imageshack.us/img412/3499/img0065mc.th.jpg img293.imageshack.us/img293/9795/img0072s.th.jpg

img28.imageshack.us/img28/3475/img0073ip.th.jpg

actually i found that pic from dion on some group on facebook
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

cthulhu
merlin wrote:
[/URL]

Well, I have to say that they're fake...I've never seen protos complete in box with insert...all protos I've seen are just PCBs with the name of the game or some number written or printed on the ROMs. Shots of just (probably empty) boxes with inserts don't prove anything.
My arcade crap

merlin
cthulhu wrote:

Well, I have to say that they're fake...I've never seen protos complete in box with insert...all protos I've seen are just PCBs with the name of the game or some number written or printed on the ROMs. Shots of just (probably empty) boxes with inserts don't prove anything.

I agree Cthulhu I'm 100% sure they are fake. They actually claimed to have other protos too if I remember correctly like the pinball game. Surprisingly they even went to the trouble of faking the carts too.

cthulhu
merlin wrote:
I agree Cthulhu I'm 100% sure they are fake. They actually claimed to have other protos too if I remember correctly like the pinball game. Surprisingly they even went to the trouble of faking the carts too.

Another thing that certainly proves that they're fakes is the fact that the inserts are English...a bit strange for protos to be in English while the game is (probably) made by a Japanese company...it just doesn't make sense.
Edited by cthulhu on 23. May 2010 21:59
My arcade crap

Bullet
Yeah those unreleased neo games have always been of interest to me over the years, but really the idea of Ninja Gaiden 2 being on the neo is amazing to me and I'd prolly kill a hobo to to see that game.. I mean seriously.
Tecmo has to have a test cart of that kicking around... as the rumors say it was actually on location test, so a cart had to exist... Just imagine...
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

1983parrothead
Some websites say that Sammy was developing what would of been the first and perhaps only Neo-Geo fighting game with digitized human sprites, Deadly Sport. The game was either canceled or very few of them were produced. Here is a topic about it:

http://www.neogeo...;pid=37940
Edited by 1983parrothead on 23. June 2010 05:27

Jump to Forum: