Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1636
Thread Info
There are 114 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 64602 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
BlazBlue
merlin
BlazBlue has been one of the most anticipated fighting game releases along with SFIV and KOF XII and although there was a brief thread before when some new characters were revealed I think this game really needs a new thread. It would be very interesting to hear from anyone who has played the game or just people's impressions from watching gameplay videos. Any news that emerges about the console versions like release dates for example it would be good if people post it in this thread.

I was lucky enough to play BlazBlue and can report that it plays amazingly well. Basically anyone who loves Guilty Gear is going to love this as it does play in a quite similar way. I actually think it was the right thing to do to end the Guilty Gear series and start over again with new characters. Any sadness people feel at the GG series ending will go when you get a chance to play BlazBlue. It will be exciting to see how the series develops. Don't expect me to go into much detail though because I'm only a beginner and it wasn't always easy to get a chance to play it because of the games popularity. I would say the graphics are pretty damn amazing.

Most people I saw were using either Jin Kisaragi or Rachel Alucard who just happen to be my favourites too. It was pretty popular and there were often spectators watching as well as the people playing. I did have an epic 5 round battle against someone in which I was using Jin Kisaragi against their Rachel Alucard. I lost the first 2 rounds won the next two and then lost by a tiny fraction in the fifth round. Even though I lost it was pretty exciting.

Here's a video showing PS3 gameplay:

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 14. June 2009 00:08

Genjuro
looks like a busy game with lots of stuff going on at once. a little too busy for me! then again, i never was into the guilty gear series very much aside from appreciating the 2D style. even a game like marvel vs. capcom 2 i can only stomach for so long before all the character switching and constant barrage of effects take their toll.
Edited by Genjuro on 04. April 2009 15:20

Wild Tengu
I think some of the character designs aren't very inspiring, Ragna is the new Sol, Iron Tager is the new Potekin, Jin is the new Ky. Then you have teh goth loli with Rachel and the shota with Carl Clover.

Only characters I'm interested in are Taokaka and Litchi.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
reelmojo
For me it seems like after so many games in the GGX series that it was time to end it and move on. Not that they have to abandon all of the characters or anything, but starting fresh can be a good thing. Capcom did it after so many SF2 variations with SFA and that turned out to be a great move. I've read that BlazBlue is in the same universe as Guilty Gear and that it takes place 10 years after Accent Core. I don't know much about the story, like if anybody died or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some GG characters found their way into BB eventually.

Midian
I definitely wanna get BlazBlue, but it looks a little bit too much like Guilty Gear to me, instead of something fresh. This could be a good thing too though, I'll probably really enjoy the fast paced gameplay.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

RiKo
I think BlazBlue looks great - you can't be too fussy these days when you get so few 2D fighters - with high production values. Is it coming out on 360 as well? I hope so Smile

I still think 2D fighters on this generation of hardware should be pushing even harder - this is impressive but you can basically do anything in 2D with the amount of power these machines have. People want to be blown away not mildy impressed. I'm not critisising BlazBlue, this is just a general comment.

Its sounds like you did well in the arcades Merlin - I'd imagine there were some prerry hardcore players around.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
GOOD STUFF MERLIN... Just like 007 said at the end of The Spy Who Loved Me:

M: "Bond, what are you doing?"...
007: "Keeping the British End up sir!"

I'm glad you gave the Japanese (lets face it, the experts!) a run for their money... I'd loved to have been there to cheer you on Clap

NOT SURE... about this game yet. I'm sure it's gonna be great, but ArcSys great. Kinda niché maybe?

PERSONALLY... I think it's a shame they terminated the GGseries so early on, I mean, it's like the SF series ending at SSF2X? I feel in all the time making their tweaks, ArcSys could've just manned the f*ck up and made GGX3? Or even GG2?

SERIOUSLY though... what happened, really? I never thought about it before if I were honest but; we had GGX, presumably GGX 1/One. Fine. THEN we had like 10 iterations of XX/X2/X TWO, the second after X1! WTF?? What happened there? No, seriously... I don't really get it. I mean, an 'X2'... fine. Surely after time X3
But: X2, X2Reload, X2Slash, X2AC, X2AC+/X2AC+ Append PLUS the original 2 GGX iterations (GGX & GGX+) pretty much makes 7 'revisions' of one game! DAMN!!

Now that's confidence for yer!

Guess BlazBlue's WELL overdue then eh? I'm already looking forward to it! Thumbs Up

Anyone on PSN (No MicroSoft products/junk in my house, sorry!)... as soon as this comes out... I'll see you on the DanceFloor Music

Ninja

merlin
Thanks RiKo and Ninja. I should say that most of the times I played against other people I lost badly! People in the arcades there are really skillful at fighting games.

RiKo I can confirm that Blaz Blue is definitely coming out for Xbox360 as well as PS3. In fact I just checked the official Blaz Blue site and they give the release date as the 25th June which is slightly less than 3 months away! Grin Play Asia have the PS3 ntsc-j version listed already for pre-order. I need to get my act together and get a PS3 in time for the release. (It has to be a ceramic white one though)

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Anyone on PSN (No MicroSoft products/junk in my house, sorry!)... as soon as this comes out... I'll see you on the DanceFloor Music

Ninja

Yes I'm really looking forward to playing this online and hopefully we can have some matches. One of the things that excites me so much about this game is being able to play a game similar to Guilty Gear online because with Accent Core I only ever play the cpu. You can't play it online, there are of course no decent arcades and no one I know where I live is interested in fighting games.

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Thanks RiKo and Ninja. I should say that most of the times I played against other people I lost badly! People in the arcades there are really skillful at fighting games.

RiKo I can confirm that Blaz Blue is definitely coming out for Xbox360 as well as PS3. In fact I just checked the official Blaz Blue site and they give the release date as the 25th June which is slightly less than 3 months away! Grin Play Asia have the PS3 ntsc-j version listed already for pre-order. I need to get my act together and get a PS3 in time for the release. (It has to be a ceramic white one though)

NeoGeoNinja wrote:

Ninja

Yes I'm really looking forward to playing this online and hopefully we can have some matches. One of the things that excites me so much about this game is being able to play a game similar to Guilty Gear online because with Accent Core I only ever play the cpu. You can't play it online, there are of course no decent arcades and no one I know where I live is interested in fighting games.

I'm with you on the Ceramic White factor. Personally I have a standard black PAL console, but would sell it to get a White PAL console in a flash! Most of my other consoles I own are white and I'd love a White PS3 too, just not a US or JP one I'm afraid. Pretty impressed (even though I: 1) own neither & 2) don't plan to buy either) that the Wii & 360 are white as standard... bit disappointing that you cannot get an 'Elite' in white though? WOULD GET A Wii... if Tatsunoko VS Capcom came out over here though, but don't think taht'll ever happen. Oh well...

AS FOR WHITE CONSOLES... i have: 2x White JP PS2's - both 'original' size, mint, one LE Pearlescent White, one LE GT4 pack Ceramic White (both REAL beauties!), 3x White Saturns (I have one Skeletal Saturn too) all boxed, mint, 4x DC (2x JP, as new - one still sealed - 2x PAL - mint, but used) 1x White GCube, & er, yeah, my SNES is kinda whitish in colour too, which helps. Shame my MDrive is black and my N64 is 'G3 iMac grape'... not the first time Nintendo has ripped of Apples aesthetics eh? (first the N64's in iMac G3 colours... now the Wii LOOKS exactly like the Mac I'm typing on right now!!) SO YEAH... a white PS3 would fit right in Grin

ALSO... glad to hear your after a PS3, as opposed to the '360'. Good choice! Don't like the 360 myself. Think it comes from being a Japanese gamer at heart. Playing games like SF4, KOFXII & BBlue on Americas 'finest' would somehow feel all wrong - especially with that pad! PLUS... the PS3 is getting Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma... how f*ckin' cool is that? Two fingers up to Big Bills Japanese 360 takeover bid... shame all those Cave games are 360 exclusive though... it really pisses me off. Probably like most of the Japanese... "you might have Ketsui & Death Smiles, but I'm not f*cking buying you PLUS MGS4 & Yakuza 3 are on PS3 Bill... Sorry!" DAMN its got all poltical and bitter again.... apologies Roll Eyes

Ninja

merlin
Good to see you are also a white console fan like me. Perhaps Snk should have brought out a white Neo Geo. Smile My Saturn and PS2 are both white and I think they look really good. I've decided to take the plunge and get a white Japanese PS3 soon. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive... about £400 on ebay. I do actually prefer the look of the PS3 compared to the 360.

I'm constantly amazed by the vast number of consoles and games you own. Shock They must take up a lot of space.

Yes I also find it annoying that the Cave games are coming out exclusively on 360. I'd love to have home versions of Ketsui and Death Smiles. Considering the PS3 has outsold the 360 in Japan by a big margin these games really should be coming out on the PS3 as well.
Edited by merlin on 06. April 2009 20:54

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Good to see you are also a white console fan like me. Perhaps Snk should have brought out a white Neo Geo. Smile My Saturn and PS2 are both white and I think they look really good. I've decided to take the plunge and get a white Japanese PS3 soon. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive... about £400 on ebay. I do actually prefer the look of the PS3 compared to the 360.

Yeah, I'm holding out on the hope that a White PS3 will be released in the UK, I mean, they eventually released a white PSP here eventually, didn't they? Fingers crossed...

merlin wrote:
I'm constantly amazed by the vast number of consoles and games you own. Shock They must take up a lot of space.

Yeah, they do I guess. I have room designated for my games and consoles though. It helps a lot. I'll take some photos sometime and you can have a 'gander' Wink

merlin wrote:
Yes I also find it annoying that the Cave games are coming out exclusively on 360. I'd love to have home versions of Ketsui and Death Smiles. Considering the PS3 has outsold the 360 in Japan by a big margin these games really should be coming out on the PS3 as well.

Again, I would love to see these games on the PS3 too, as they were on the PS2 beforehand. I REALLY want to play Raiden Fighters & Raiden 4 the most... I'm a pretty BIG fan of Raiden in general... simply AMAZING games IMO.

Ninja

Raiken
I'll give this a shot when it comes out. I'm really not as big into fighting games as I used to be.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

STE C
I am really looking forward to this game love GG so cant wait for it, as i have mentioned before we should all get behind new 2d fighters ( as long as the quality is there) otherwise the future could be bleak for us fans

NeoGeoNinja
Raiken wrote:
I'll give this a shot when it comes out. I'm really not as big into fighting games as I used to be.

I'm still BIG into fighting games... I just struggle with 3D fighters nowadays. 2D stuff (unless its ArcSys unfortunately) is still easy to jump straight into... especially Capcom & SNK games.

I jumped straight into VF4 back in the day... but when VF5 arrived, I just couldn't get excited... shame really. I hope VF5R gets a release with online play for PS3... I'd get excited about that I think!

Sometimes (most times!), I just think some games (like Tekken5, VF4/4evo & SCalibur3) simply took things to the MAX in the last generation... I just don't think we need to see newer iterations in the new generation. SF4 proved that to me I'm afraid. IT IS a great game, but to have to sell SF to 3D to succeed... well. It simply feels like a successful SFEX4 to me... maybe one day we'll see a true SF4.

ArcSys 'releasing' GG for BlazBlue is a VERY good move in my book. I know the decision has garnered many a negative response, but we really didn't need to see MORE Sol & Ky right now... we've had enough over the last 10yrs or so IMO. Some (many?) don't like change... I love it! Maybe thats why I prefer SF3 over SF4 too. Having the balls to ditch all that is familiar usually scores points in my book. THAT doesn't include butchering existing characters mind!

I'm looking forward to BlazBlue (and its inevitable 7+ revisions Thumbs Up )

WOW I talk/type too much!! L8rs

Ninja

merlin
I'm sure most people here know about Dustloop but I just thought I would mention that in the BlazBlue section of their forums there is a colossal amount of info including very detailed threads for each character with general strategy, combos etc. Just to give you an idea of how much info there is the Noel Vermillion thread for example is 39 pages long! They also have a thread giving locations of arcades in the US which have Blaz Blue right now so perhaps there's one near you if you can't wait till 25th June. Anyway anyone interested in BlazBlue should definitely take a look at the Dustloop forum if they haven't already. Here's a link to the Dustloop BB forum:

http://www.dustlo...y.php?f=66

Hori are releasing a special BlazBlue stick which will be available on the day of release. It looks very cool.

http://www.play-a...-3c2g.html

Here's a match video of Rachel vs Jin.

YouTube Video

reelmojo
BlazBlue preorder bonuses!

A two disc soundtrack, a video tutorial disc showing expert strategies, and special packaging. The soundtrack alone is worth over $20. I was on the fence about getting this game right when it comes out, but I think I'm going to now. Too bad SNK doesn't have the money to do something like this for KoFXII.

The eccentric cat
Taokaka looks so cool! I think I've found my main player. :3
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

reelmojo
I like the look of all of the characters but Arkune is my favorite design. Of course I've barely seen the game in action so he probably won't be my favorite character once I'm playing it, but he (it?) looks awesome.

www.blazblue.com/wp-content/gallery/characters-full/Arkune%20full.jpg

He's like American McGee got ahold of those little forest creatures from Princess Mononoke.

...wow I feel like a dork.
Edited by reelmojo on 01. May 2009 12:23

merlin
I like the sound of those pre-order bonuses especially the soundtrack cd. I've pre-ordered the game about a week ago and can't wait. It's only about two months to go!

Taokaka and Arakune are great characters in fact I like them all really. I'm planning to concentrate mainly on Jin Kisaragi and either Rachel Alucard or Noel Vermillion. I hope online it doesn't become like the SFIV Ryu/Ken situation with loads of people using Jin and Ragna.

Here's a tier list I found on a forum in case anyone is interested. It's from 'Tougeki Damashii' magazine.

A
Arakune, Rachel

B+
Ragna, Taokaka, Litchi

B
Noel, Jin, Bang

C
Haku-men, Tager, Carl

Unknown
Nyu (V 13)

Wild Tengu
Why is Carl so low? He's got a really borked near infinite loop.

http://youtube.com/RunningWildVidya
Jump to Forum: