Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 1623
Thread Info
There are 106 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Samurai Showdown Sen
Bullet
Black Shroud wrote:
The word "realistic" would be ok if not for those insane long juggles in Sen. It has loggest juggles and most unrealistic gravity out of all samshos. "Toned down" seems to be the right word now.

I'm using "realistic" as a generalization...

I am also sorry that I rode the pony for too long at your party, again my apologies.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Basashi King
very interesting review bullet, thanks for taking time to post it. i cant say i agree with you though.

hopefully more people will be able to play the game now and give their take on it.

Bullet
Basashi King wrote:
very interesting review bullet, thanks for taking time to post it. i cant say i agree with you though.

hopefully more people will be able to play the game now and give their take on it.

Exactly, that's what this forum is for, shed some light on a game many don't know about and we have different opinions on, which is a good thing.

I say check it out at the very least, not gonna turn the genre on its ear, but a fun game to mess around with.

bojan4o
images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080719045942/snk/images/thumb/3/34/Asura_promo2.jpg/439px-Asura_promo2.jpg
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

NeoStrayCat
bojan4o wrote:
images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080719045942/snk/images/thumb/3/34/Asura_promo2.jpg/439px-Asura_promo2.jpg

Makes me think he's in it, but he's not.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
bojan4o
yup i know that
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Black Shroud
If he, by any chance, would be in this game, then with "no magic" motto he would be a character without special moves. Cool, huh?

Btw, if we are talking about Asura then heres cool combo with him:
Rage Explosion, CD~AAA (rage cancel) rdp+B (rage cancel) hcb+D, jumpB, A, qcf+C

i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
Black Shroud
Gametrailers posted Sen review
http://www.gametr...down/64537

spirits.kaillera.ru
rbelmonte171
Who is actually playing it?????

Black Shroud
The self-proclaimed "true SS fans" of course Grin

spirits.kaillera.ru
Bullet
I wouldn't say I'm a true fan of SamSho that is for sure, as it is the series I enjoy the least from SNK, I can hear the gasps thru the interweb pipes, but I always check them out, mostly because I find the characters interesting . I also have been very attracted to SNK's design choices, except for anything Falcoon has done to be honest, his metrosexual designs really shine a light on what the original designers at SNK did well, create and design great characters. SamSho will always interest me because I love the characters and while Sen might not be the greatest thing ever ,it is a solid game in its own right. In the end tho, I'm not really sure what I'd personally want out of a new Sam Sho as just a HD 2D version of the game would be just that and a 3D modeled 2D game would be just like SF4, same old same old, so I'm not sure where else they can or should go that would get me really excited about a new Sam Sho.

To be honest I'm surprised every time a new one comes out, but they still keep tossing one out here and there.
Edited by Bullet on 18. April 2010 06:35

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
...In the end tho, I'm not really sure what I'd personally want out of a new Sam Sho as just a HD 2D version of the game would be just that and a 3D modeled 2D game would be just like SF4, same old same old, so I'm not sure where else they can or should go that would get me really excited about a new Sam Sho.

To be honest I'm surprised every time a new one comes out, but they still keep tossing one out here and there.

I HAVE TO AGREE...
with you there. I also have no idea what I'd want from a 'new' SamSho today. Personally, I think they should've put a 'sock in it' with SS5Sp... as it was the celebrated final release for the AES at that time and was a significant improvement over the lacklustre SS5... Indeed, I'm sure it can be argued (from a general fighting game fan/player, as opposed to a SS hardcore fan) that SSho should've been put to bed with SS4?

AS FOR SS6...
this was surely the game everyone was waiting for, especially considering it should have been the ultimate SS... but I can tell you, it fell SUPER short for me - in every way. So much so I can't even be bothered discussing it's negative standing, imo at least.

BACK ON TRACK...
I'm unsure what would make a good SS now. I'm assuming that (being a NeoGeo site) that the majority of us would have liked to have seen a 'new' 2D SS - in 'HD' one would assume. I guess you could have been looking at a KOFXII instance though, building from scratch an the such (i.e. a simple, more 'back to basics 'release), but I doubt, like XII, anyone would've been happy with that. At the same time you have someone like me, who found SS6 lacking... even though it literally had everything! Big problem games like SS6 & XII had, even though they're at opposite ends of the argument - they BOTH lacked 'soul'... something which the SNK games of 'old' had (have!) bags of, and most importantly, something which attracted PPL to SNK fighters/games more than most (as it can be 'felt' in SNK's MSlug series too!). This is something I'm very sensitive to - in ALL my gaming experiences, not just SNK games. Again, this is probably where SSSen falls short.

Interestingly (love it or hate it?) > insert my somewhat constructively negative comments about said game here < SF4 has still managed to maintain it's 'soul'... even after a <10yr wait and, most importantly, into 3D!

It's quite simply something that died along with SNK. But there has been the 'odd' flash in the pan here and there - at least, for me, it came in the 'new shape' KOF03 - the blueprint for the great KOFXI (but again, for me, XI lacked soul integrity... it's really quite difficult to explain... you can just 'feel' it). No doubt XIII will end up the same - good or not.

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 19. April 2010 14:39
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Black Shroud
You probably mean SNKP's constant tries to make a mainstream sellout to casual players. SNK games felt like something developer wanted to make and liked developing, while most SNKP titles feel developed with money in mind but without love to series.

Good SS should have 2D/2.5D gameplay (not necessarily graphics), cast composed from fan favourites (mind you Im not talking about hentai/loli fans there), iconic special moves and supers in movelists, violence, and overall direction of game being something dark and authentic to ancient Japan, maybe some mythos/demons/magic here and there. No half-assed efforts, no monkeying of "whats popular now on market", and no stupid attempts to bring american spirit in game (especially with chars like Andrew and Draco, Im not even talking about their arenas).

With that in mind, they should make something close to SSAZ, which balances between 2D and 3D just finely, its a game where they use 2D special effects on special moves, 2D backgrounds, 2D scenes where opponent gets sliced in half, and for that game all this 2D actually works. The 3D counterpart allows for more detailed animations/character costumes/shura-rasetsu differences, and for far bigger number of normals compared to 2D games.

IMO while SNKP will be mindlessly monkeying stuff which is currently on market, trying to cash on it, the "soul" of games will be beyond recovery. Also, Falcoon was a decent soul eater at that Pfft
Edited by Black Shroud on 18. April 2010 11:42

spirits.kaillera.ru
bojan4o
i think ninja when you said XII you actually meant to say XIII
any way i dont agree with any of you i really liked ss6 and about sssen i am going to buy xbox360 just for that game enough said

Chaddicus
I cannot help but feel wrong about 3D Samurai Shodown games, but at least they are being made (ahem, Fatal Fury).

Yao
Ninja, I am absolutely with you on this one. "soul" in a game is very important to me. And the way I see it SNK's 90's titles are unreached when it comes to that. There are still some SNKP titles I enjoy very much. KOF '03 like you have mentioned and also SSVSpecial. I just hope they will do another Samurai Shodown title and return to the formula that made the series so great in the first place.

NeoGeoNinja
bojan4o wrote:
i think ninja when you said XII you actually meant to say XIII
any way i dont agree with any of you i really liked ss6 and about sssen i am going to buy xbox360 just for that game enough said

HAH...
you're absolutely right Bojan, I did! Thanks for pointing that out - it was quite important. I've since corrected it.

Thanks again...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Chaddicus
Yao wrote:
Ninja, I am absolutely with you on this one. "soul" in a game is very important to me. And the way I see it SNK's 90's titles are unreached when it comes to that. There are still some SNKP titles I enjoy very much. KOF '03 like you have mentioned and also SSVSpecial. I just hope they will do another Samurai Shodown title and return to the formula that made the series so great in the first place.

I totally agree.

Black Shroud
All characters Rage Technique demonstration
http://www.youtub...1pY0zlAKhM

IMO they stand nowhere near supers from previous games

spirits.kaillera.ru
Bullet
I agree with SF4/SSF4 retaining the "soul"and or "feel" that has been present thru each iteration. With that said, SNK or SNKPlaymore if you prefer has "soul" KOF 12 had "soul" as you don't animate the tiny touches without it. You don't decide to stay in sprite art without "soul".
KOF 12 wasn't a bad game, it wasn't perfect and it just wasn't SF4 at a time when the spotlight was on. SNKplaymore came up short and when KOF12 went back to basics like SF4 did everyone was "outraged".

Black Shroud wrote:
You probably mean SNKP's constant tries to make a mainstream sellout to casual players. SNK games felt like something developer wanted to make and liked developing, while most SNKP titles feel developed with money in mind but without love to series.

LOLZ this actually made me laugh out loud!!! Really? Seriously? SNKPlaymore sellouts... Now I have heard it all. They were once an arcade giant, yes now the notion of arcades screams hardcore, but arcades were once everywhere and catered to casual players. Now the times have changed and SNKPlaymore are a niche company catering to and surviving on a niche within a niche. Way to sellout guys.

Any group of people or individual who creates, wants what they have to say to be seen by the largest audience possible and anyone who says otherwise is lying. You may want to work to make your fans happy,it might not really be about the money at the end of the day, but you still want to grow have more people see your work and get more fans as more fans = more money, which = the ability to continue to make more of whatever it is you do. Money = freedom to do what you want creatively and when you don't have it, it becomes hard to create. Money allows you to continue to speak to that audience and you need to make money or you can't eat or pay rent, kids and then no one hears what you have to say anymore. Anyone who creates any kind of art, wants success, money and sales to justify continuing to create. This is the reality for anyone making any kind of art today.

Eikichi Kawasaki must have mad soul as he has kept SNK alive all these years SNKPlaymore is STILL SNK, it may not be 100% what it once was, but you have to give the man credit for staying afloat all these years, when much bigger companies have fallen. They could have folded up shop many times, but then again without the missteps you never would of had a chance to see games like KOF13 or KOF SkyStage, both clearly titles that SNKPlaymore has sold out with.
Edited by Bullet on 06. May 2010 16:55

Jump to Forum: