Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 1623
Thread Info
There are 106 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Samurai Showdown Sen
reelmojo
Samurai Showdown: Edge of Destiny on TFG
Official Site

YouTube Video

I didn't see a thread anywhere on the site for this game. Samurai Showdown in 3D... could the fourth time be the charm? I expected it to be a 2D game with 3D graphics as is the current trend these days, but it looks like it plays more like Soul Calibur than anything else. I've made it no secret that I've never been a huge SS fan but this game does interest me quite a bit. Supposedly it's set for release in Q2 2009 in the US which means within the next three months. I haven't seen any word on a European release.

Has anyone had the chance to play it? From what I can piece together it seems to be out in arcades but hasn't even had a Japanese console release yet, which makes the impending US release seem more like a rumor than a fact to me.
Edited by The eccentric cat on 04. April 2010 22:51

cthulhu
Well, I've played it last year in Japan and I didn't like it at all (although I love the other Samurai Spirits games). Gameplay wise, the game concentrates on juggling your opponent and the controls felt a bit slow to me. The 3D graphics look really dated. Basically it's very standard 3D fighter...not nearly as good as Soul Calibur (Which I kinda like, although I think it's too easy).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

THX-1138
It's supposed to be pretty mediocre. I'll get it if it comes out in Europe though.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

Yao
I don't know. I really really love the Samurai Shodown Series. But this games seems to be everything I ever feared to happen to the Series...

boogiecat
This game was kinda bland to be honest,its no Soul Calibur but at least its a bit better than those Hyper NG64 SS games but still no match against Soul Calibur 4...If only SNK Playmore would tweak the speed and gameplay of this game before they launch it into home consoles this year.//

NeoGeoNinja
AS LONG AS... they don't abandon the 2D series completely (like the KOFXi/XII & KOF-Mi, err, series/universe integration) ONLY then do I think that this (3D SS) would not be a bad thing. In fact, I'm quite interesting in playing it... just to know. Chances are I'd play this more than I'm playing SF4 right now! ON THE FLIP SIDE... chances are, that this COULD be a reet turd! Wait n See I guess...

Ninja

reelmojo
I've mostly heard bad things about it, but I'm still interested in playing it myself. You can never fully trust what the buzz on the net tells you after all. They do have time to tweak the gameplay before the console release so hopefully they'll at least speed it up. "It's too slow" is the main complaint I've heard. I don't know though, it looks fast enough in the video I posted above... even the big viking guy is moving pretty quickly if you ask me.

Either way, it'll probably be a rental for me.

cthulhu
reelmojo wrote:
I've mostly heard bad things about it, but I'm still interested in playing it myself. You can never fully trust what the buzz on the net tells you after all. They do have time to tweak the gameplay before the console release so hopefully they'll at least speed it up. "It's too slow" is the main complaint I've heard. I don't know though, it looks fast enough in the video I posted above... even the big viking guy is moving pretty quickly if you ask me.

Either way, it'll probably be a rental for me.

The controls and the game itself felt really slow to me...Soul Calibur is way faster and has a lot smoother controls. I got really bored playing this game and that's never a good sign. Too bad I couldn't hear the music as it was in an arcade (which are always extremely noisy, so you can't actually hear the game you're playing)
Edited by cthulhu on 01. April 2009 19:26
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Even though I wasn't expecting much from this game I was still hoping to have a chance to play Samurai Spirits Sen. Although I have been in loads of arcades over the last month there was no sign of it anywhere so that must mean it can't have been very popular. I'd still like to give it a try though just out of curiosity.
Edited by merlin on 01. April 2009 19:38

reelmojo
http://www.gametr...50853.html

Some new gameplay footage of the 360 version with developer commentary. Personally I think this game looks really cool. The slight hints of Bushido Blade in the gameplay have me pretty eager to give it a try. Hopefully it'll have a demo on XBL before release since I'm not too into just buying a game that I've heard bad things about.

ROBOTRON
Looks yummy. Wan Fu returnith will he have his brick pillar?
Edited by ROBOTRON on 05. June 2009 13:15
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
reelmojo
images2.wikia.nocookie.net/snk/images/b/ba/Wanfu-sen.jpg
Doesn't look like it. Maybe in an alternate costume?

I had never looked at the characters too closely in this game but when I watched that video I noticed the name Kim Hye-Ryen... A distant relative of Kim Kaphwan? I had always assumed that Samurai Showdown was set in the past of the same timeline that eventually becomes the KoF universe... but is this game canon to the normal SS series? If not I think it'd be cool if Edge of Destiny was actually set in the distant past of Maximum Impact series.

...not that it probably matters either way. I just like it when seemingly unrelated games are found to actually be related. And there's no reason that all of SNK's fighters shouldn't take place in the same universe.
Edited by reelmojo on 05. June 2009 19:20

STE C
For the love of god when are SNK gonna learn the Hyper NG Sam Sho games bombed & i suspect this already has because people dont wanna play them when the likes of Soul Caliber ( which aint half as popular as it once was ) has the market covered + they dont sell anymore. Please do us a favour SNK and make Sam 7 2d hi def please YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY SELL A FEW COPIES.

reelmojo
Yeah, the HNG64 games bombed, but didn't just about everything for that system? Eve games which people say are good like Buriki One faded into obscurity almost instantly. I can't say anything about the original 3D SamSho games because I haven't played them, but this game is obviously a very different take on the series. True, a lot of people won't play it just because they'll judge a book by it's cover and assume it's just like Warrior's Rage. That's unfortunate because this game actually looks fresh. But people don't want fresh, even when they say they do it seems.

Again, I'm not saying this game is good... I haven't played it after all. I'm just saying it looks like it could be good.

reelmojo
http://www.gametr...down/51961
New trailer highlighting the returning characters. Hopefully they do one for the new characters as well.
Edited by reelmojo on 26. June 2009 01:58

Mr Vengeance
I'll likely get this when it comes out.... Sure I'd prefer if it was 2D but as a huge fan of the earlier Soul Calibur games (the more recent entries have gone a little bit too mental IMO) I'd be interested in playing a new 3D Samurai fighting game.

NeoGeoNinja
Mr Vengeance wrote:
I'll likely get this when it comes out.... Sure I'd prefer if it was 2D but as a huge fan of the earlier Soul Calibur games (the more recent entries have gone a little bit too mental IMO) I'd be interested in playing a new 3D Samurai fighting game.

Heh... SoulCalibur (DC) > SCalibur3 (DC) > SEdge (PS1) > SCalibur 2 (Multi) > SCalibur4 (NxGen)...

that's my take on the series!

Ninja

Mr Vengeance
I'd pretty much put Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast above any other fighting game ever - its perfect. (and yes that includes anything by SNK believe it or not!)

I'd like to see Namco make any new SC games a bit more like the original - monsters with teeth in their stomachs and all that just doesn't fit in with the original SC cast in my opinion.

reelmojo
Word has it EoD is being released November 11th in the US. Plenty of time to get your pre-orders in. This is the first time ever that I'm finding myself looking forward to a new SamSho game as I've never been a fan of the gameplay (don't shoot me!) but I have always loved the visual design and overall atmosphere. I'm looking forward to kicking ass with some of the characters that I've always liked in an entirely new style.

Part of me wishes that since they've completely changed the gameplay anyway now would have been a good time to do a SamSho/Last Blade cross over. Their may still be console exclusive characters, but I highly doubt they'd do fan service that crazy.

Neo Beast
reelmojo wrote:
Word has it EoD is being released November 11th in the US. Plenty of time to get your pre-orders in. This is the first time ever that I'm finding myself looking forward to a new SamSho game as I've never been a fan of the gameplay (don't shoot me!) but I have always loved the visual design and overall atmosphere. I'm looking forward to kicking ass with some of the characters that I've always liked in an entirely new style.

Part of me wishes that since they've completely changed the gameplay anyway now would have been a good time to do a SamSho/Last Blade cross over. Their may still be console exclusive characters, but I highly doubt they'd do fan service that crazy.

I agree on that. i would love to play a ss vs Lb. i suppose i can only dream about that ever happening. but i give EoD a hit if it comes out on the ps3
Edited by Neo Beast on 03. September 2009 03:54

Jump to Forum: