Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 1614
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4068 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
ATARI JAGUAR
priest
So I have bought myself a complete (like new) in box ATARI JAGUAR. So advice on which games I should buy would be apreciated. The games which made me buy this console in the first place are: RAIDEN and FLASHBACK (supposed to be even better than the great SEGA MD version)

So come on and give me some advice on games, pleaseSmile

My console:

mega.tradera.com/179/79677179_1.jpg
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
DevDan
Ahhh.. "Jaguar", Atari's last attempt to overtake the video game industry, another misunderstood system I might ad. I had intentions of getting one a few month's ago, but the best games not only are hard to find but also expensive. Didn't that thing come with Cybermorth? Raiden and Flashback are definitely great games, personally these games are my take for the Jag, Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier, Alien vs Predator, Missile Command 3D, Rayman (best port) and if your ever lucky to find, I would highly recommend "Protector SE" and "Battlesphere".
I don't know if your familiar with AVGN, but yesterday he released his second movie part of "Atari's Jaguar", check out GTrailers.
If your still interested knowing more about jaguar, RetroGamerMagazine did a great article about it on issue 26.
Edited by DevDan on 27. March 2009 00:19

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
So I have bought myself a complete (like new) in box ATARI JAGUAR. So advice on which games I should buy would be apreciated. The games which made me buy this console in the first place are: RAIDEN and FLASHBACK (supposed to be even better than the great SEGA MD version)

So come on and give me some advice on games, pleaseSmile

My console:

mega.tradera.com/179/79677179_1.jpg

Hey Priest... Great find... I LOVE the Jaguar Thumbs Up

This is a link to the Thread (or post?) I launched the tail end of last year, just to investigate ppls opinions etc on the Jaguar... hope it's of interest!

http://www.neogeo...rowstart=0

Regarding games for the Jag?

I WOULDN'T recommend Raiden for it. I love Raiden and this version is quite honestly PANTS. Pants framerate, NO auto-fire (gets old quickly) and the graphics are sub-par. SERIOUSLY, if you have other means of playing Raiden (like the PS1 for example) don't WASTE (and I mean WASTE) your money on the Jag version... I was utterly disappointed. Thumbs Down

Like DevDan mentioned though, Protector SE looks awesome... shame its so expensive though :(

Games I'd recommend include: Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Iron Soldier (great game!), Tempest 2000, Defender 2000 & Power Drive Rally too. ALSO if you like your bad fighting games (which PERSONALLY, I do!) then Kasumi Ninja - so bad its BAAAD - but fun, depends on your humour I guess & also Ultra Vortek is fun too! ODDLY I wouldn't recommend Alien VS Predator. If you missed it first time around (like 94-95) then this is one that IMO hasn't really stood the test of time... HOWEVER, it may play faster in 60hz. mines 50hz PAL... I think? and is a s-l-o-w game. Not fun anymore, but was way cool back when your mates were still playing DKcountry on their SNES and there you were with Doom & AVP in your living room! GENUINELY cutting edge stuff! Ah, those WERE the days Hmm

Ninja

reelmojo
Unless you're a collector of all things Doom I'd highly recommend not buying any console version and just going with the PC version. There are thousands of mods for it that can only be played on PC and some of them are amazing... plus you can pick up Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom all packaged together for $10. And that's for a new copy, I don't know how cheap it is used.

I can't find any video on Probotector SE. I'm guessing it's an altered version of the original? Or is it just an arcade port?

Total Carnage looks good. It's readily available for other systems as well, but still. The fact that it came out in 2005 for Jaguar is pretty odd too.

reelmojo
Ah, Protector, not Probotector. Here I was thinking there was a Contra game I didn't know about.

DevDan
NeoGeoNinja -I've heard of Raiden's problems once, completly forgot bout them.

reelmojo - Hell, I'm real sorry for misspelling "Protector" for "Probotector" twice , although it would be great if jaguar had a Contra installment, image how sales could have went and the flop that the game would turn out to be..
Edited by DevDan on 27. March 2009 12:44

RiKo
I hope you enjoy the Jaguar Priest Smile

I recently sold my Jaguar (+18 games). The games I liked the best were Cybermorph, Iron Soldier, and Tempest 2000. In general I didn't really enjoy playing on it that much. I think it doesn't do 2D games particularly well, and it doesn't do 3D game very well either!

What I did like about the Jaguar was that some of the games feel like improved versions of old Amiga 3D games. e.g. Iron Soldier, Cybermorph. You don't get these kind of games anymore, so its like a different flavour to savour.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
priest
Thanks for the feedback guysThumbs Up

Although I think I will go for RAIDEN even though you donīt seem to like it.

Has anyone of you played FLASHBACK for the JAGUAR? I really like the MD version of this game, but I`ve heard that the JAGUAR version is supposed to be even greater with a bigger color palette.
Any opinions on this?

Again thanks for all the response in this threadSmile

doctor_shred
The Jaguar does indeed have a few great tittles.

I personally like Raiden on the Jag and would recommend it. I haven't played the other console ports but it's a solid shooter.

Flashback is great too. I think the gameplay is the same as the MD version but the backgrounds are more colourful, a great title.

Also check out SuperBurnout. It's a great 2d motorcycle racer, very underrated. The gameplay is spot on and the music is great.

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guysThumbs Up

Although I think I will go for RAIDEN even though you donīt seem to like it.

Has anyone of you played FLASHBACK for the JAGUAR? I really like the MD version of this game, but I`ve heard that the JAGUAR version is supposed to be even greater with a bigger color palette.
Any opinions on this?

Again thanks for all the response in this threadSmile

NOOOOO! Priest... seriously though, RAIDEN (&2 for matter) are two of my fave shoot em ups EVER! It has nothing to do with not liking Raiden, or the Jaguar either. Its nothing to do with being an Arcade Perfect elitist snob either!! It's just simply that Raiden on the Jag GENUINELY has 1) a washed out colour palette 2) a choppy framerate - unacceptable for a 64-bit console as the game is basically 16-bit in nature 3) Its really S-L-O-W 4) no autofire - not good on a pad as unresponsive as the Jags and 4) Shit Jag D-pad - not ideal for a 'shmup' as tough as Raiden. Seriously though - the diagonals are just as important as UDLR on a D-Pad... especially when playing a shoot em up. Incidentally the Jaguar pad doesn't LIKE diagonals.

I LOVE Raiden, but this version is rather un-enjoyable to play I'm afraid :(

I can only suggest not to bother with it, but if some one had have told me, what I've just told you, I'd probably still buy it... sometimes you have to just get it and judge for yourself. Its as if, somehow, in your own mind, it can't really be that bad... can it? I mean... it is the legendary Raiden after all! Well, it's probably not Arcade Perfect but its not going to be crap is it... "heh"

REGARDING Flashback on the Jag... I'd also like to get hold of this I think,but will probably just get it on my 3DO instead (as I have AnotherWorld for my 3DO already and its an amazing version... I can only assume Flashback for 3DO will be, at least, just as good ?) I would probably still get it for my Jag aswell though... at the right price Grin

I already have Flashback on the SNES and I think its amazing... surely worthy of one of these modern downloadable HD Remix wankfests? Maybe a Flashback & Anotherworld double pack? DAMN they already did Prince of Persia (I kinda tie the 3 in together) so maybe one day... who knows?

Ninja

priest
Welcome to NGFL Doctor_ShredSmile

OK thanks for the thoughts. Iīll see if I can find Super burnout too, sound like it could be funThumbs Up

NeoGeoNinja: Hahaha thanks I promise Iīll take your advice about RAIDEN under consideration...And the Iīll buy itGrin Seriously I think I can find the game at a cheap price, so it wouldnt really matter if its not all that I thought it would be.

Yeah Flasback is a TOP-game, thanks for your thougts on thisThumbs Up

Oh as a "sidenote" to NeoGeoNinja: I liked your Joe musashi /Shinobi avatar better than the Killer instinct one you have now...Just so you knowGrin

RiKo
Hi Priest. I had Flashback on my Jaguar. I used to have it on the Amiga. When I played it on Jaguar - I didn't notice any real differences but I haven't played the Amiga version for years. I think the Megadrive version may be missing a level - though it is meant to be very good still.

I remember being very impressed with Flashback when it came out, but I think it has dated quite a lot now. Your control is all based around the animation, and you can only do certain things - like jumping at certain points in the animation. Its a nice game though and I'm sure you will probably get used to its little foibles Smile

I don't think they have done a huge amount to improve the Jaguar version, but probably worth getting anyway.

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
Oh as a "sidenote" to NeoGeoNinja: I liked your Joe musashi /Shinobi avatar better than the Killer instinct one you have now...Just so you knowGrin

No worries... it will be changed again at some point soon anyway... I have whole load of Ninjas I plan on NeoGeo-ing at some point... Naturally JAGO had to feature at some point as he's fave character in KI2&Gold alongside Cinder in KI - sadly not in KI2 or Gold Real Sad

I have already spotted who my next NeoGeoNinja will be... until then...

Ninja

priest
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
priest wrote:

No worries... it will be changed again at some point soon anyway... I have whole load of Ninjas I plan on NeoGeo-ing at some point... Naturally JAGO had to feature at some point as he's fave character in KI2&Gold alongside Cinder in KI - sadly not in KI2 or Gold Real Sad

I have already spotted who my next NeoGeoNinja will be... until then...

Ninja

I hope you donīt get upset about me saying this. That just me speaking my mindSmile

priest
RiKo wrote:
Hi Priest. I had Flashback on my Jaguar. I used to have it on the Amiga. When I played it on Jaguar - I didn't notice any real differences but I haven't played the Amiga version for years. I think the Megadrive version may be missing a level - though it is meant to be very good still.

I remember being very impressed with Flashback when it came out, but I think it has dated quite a lot now. Your control is all based around the animation, and you can only do certain things - like jumping at certain points in the animation. Its a nice game though and I'm sure you will probably get used to its little foibles Smile

I don't think they have done a huge amount to improve the Jaguar version, but probably worth getting anyway.

I still play alot of FLASHBACK on my MD and I still think its a very beuatifull and atmospheric game. Compared to ANOTHER WORLD, I think FLASHBACK is miles better and not so frustrating as AW can be.

I have only played the MD version of FLASHBACK so I donīt have anything to compare it with.

ThanksSmile

RiKo
I used to love Another World - I finished it and was very happy (though I don't think its that hard probably!). I love the bit near the start where that creature jumps out and frightens you to death!

There was a sequel - Heart of The Alien (I think?) but I'm not sure it was that great. It may have been US only.

cthulhu
priest wrote:
I still play alot of FLASHBACK on my MD and I still think its a very beuatifull and atmospheric game. Compared to ANOTHER WORLD, I think FLASHBACK is miles better and not so frustrating as AW can be.

I have only played the MD version of FLASHBACK so I donīt have anything to compare it with.

ThanksSmile

Flashback is an awesome game, I have it also on the Megadrive (Japanese version). I also used to have it on the Commodore Amiga...I prefer the Megadrive version as I think the controls are better. Another World isn't that frustrating, the only mildly annoying part is running from the water...otherwise I thought it was quite easy to finish, didn't take me that long.

RiKo wrote:
I used to love Another World - I finished it and was very happy (though I don't think its that hard probably!). I love the bit near the start where that creature jumps out and frightens you to death!

There was a sequel - Heart of The Alien (I think?) but I'm not sure it was that great. It may have been US only.

Heart of the Alien is indeed the sequel to Another World, I have it on the Mega-CD...haven't played it much, but I can tell you that it's at least as good as Another World.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

DevDan
RiKo - "Heart of Darkness", it's not a sequel, but it's from the very same creator "Eric Chahi". Fun fact, did you know this game was intended to be released on Jaguar Cd instead of the Playstation.

So there is a sequel to Another World!?!?! On the MEGA CD?!?!?!?Shock
Edited by DevDan on 29. March 2009 15:44
img208.imageshack.us/img208/6991/terryrrage.gif

cthulhu
DevDan wrote:
RiKo - "Heart of Darkness", it's not a sequel, but it's from the very same creator "Eric Chahi". Fun fact, did you know this game was intended to be released on Jaguar Cd instead of the Playstation.

So there is a sequel to Another World!?!?! On the MEGA CD?!?!?!?Shock

I think you've mistaken Heart of the Alien on the Mega-CD with Heart of Darkness on the Playstation. Heart of the Alien, although not created by Chahi, is the sequel to Another World.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cf/Heart_of_the_Alien_-_Game_Cover.jpg/240px-Heart_of_the_Alien_-_Game_Cover.jpg
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

priest
RiKo wrote:
I used to love Another World - I finished it and was very happy (though I don't think its that hard probably!).

OK then maybe its just that I suck at this gameSmile

Jump to Forum: