Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Jak
Thread ID: 1611
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7748 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best SNKP game
Jak
Best games from the reformed SNK (2003-present):

My pick is Samurai Shodown V Special. Balance is near perfect, sprites are excellent, gameplay is tight and accessible, plus gory fatalities.

After that it's a tie between Metal Slug 5 and 7. Sure, they offer more of the same, but they do some things differently. 7 is very chaotic, and offers some new challenges. 5 offers the Slug Mecha.

Everything thing else I thought was either mediocre or broken as hell (SVC Chaos anyone?).

cthulhu
Jak wrote:

My pick is Samurai Shodown V Special. Balance is near perfect, sprites are excellent, gameplay is tight and accessible, plus gory fatalities.

After that it's a tie between Metal Slug 5 and 7. Sure, they offer more of the same, but they do some things differently. 7 is very chaotic, and offers some new challenges. 5 offers the Slug Mecha.

Everything thing else I thought was either mediocre or broken as hell (SVC Chaos anyone?).

Personally I don't care much for Samurai Spirits Zero or Zero Special. I think they're a bit lacking in the graphics department as to me they're both a step back compared to either the third and fourth Samurai Spirits game. If it comes to this series I would then choose Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (Samurai Shodown 6)...great graphics (although it's not a high res game...which I think it should have been), nicely animated sprites and backgrounds. The music is also pretty nice, not the best in the series, but good nonetheless. A huge amount of characters to chose from (everyone from the 2D Samurai Spirits games). The biggest downside of this game would be the lack of blood, but I can live with that eventhough I do miss the big blood sprays every now and then because it can be a gratifying end to a fight. I really like this game and I think it's really underrated (just like Metal Slug 6...which also would have been a bit nicer in high res with blood...the Atomiswave version doesn't have any blood in it).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Shiny
I quite like SvC... Sure it's a bit SNK heavy but what did you expect. I've had many an entertaining evening playing it with friends.

KoF XI is probably the best they've done since 2003, however.

And Samurai Shodown 5 is worthy of mention just for having the best character select screen in any game evaR.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Carmen
Jak wrote:

The sprites are all from the old games though... even so I'd still agree with you. But a lot of that has to do with other SNKP games not being very good (I like the graphics in SVC though.)

NeoGeoNinja
Shiny wrote:
I quite like SvC... Sure it's a bit SNK heavy but what did you expect. I've had many an entertaining evening playing it with friends.

KoF XI is probably the best they've done since 2003, however.

And Samurai Shodown 5 is worthy of mention just for having the best character select screen in any game evaR.

Some good shouts there Shiny!

I have to be honest here, but theres quite a few 03-present SNKP titles I'm a fan of...

KOF2003 - Still the best KOF available on the NeoGeo IMO!

KOFXI - To me, the best KOF available alongside 03. It's just that, it seems to lose it's identity a bit here and there and feels more like, perhaps, a NeoWave2 or a 'Dream Match' to me, but overall, it's great!

SVC Chaos - It has issues here and there, but this game is still great. Even though it's NOT as good as Capcoms efforts - for me - its actually had a longer lasting appeal PLUS you get to use Guile, Ryu etc. on SNKs NeoGeo.

NG Battle Coliseum - Great game... I personally would've preferred 3 on 3 battles, but the tag system is still quite fresh for a KOF-esque SNK game (MotM & Kizuna are the other SNK tags that spring to mind). This game, to me, in essence, is a TRUE KOF in that it takes (like the original in 94) SNK characters from their respective titles - well, as close as possible - and pits them against one another to see who is the strongest. This game made me realise, that in some ways, it's a shame that KOF sort of became the same game repeatedly with tweaks, exisiting character revisions and a New boss, new BKGD's & a New OST. THEORETICALLY IMO... NGBC IS A KOF in all but 3-on-3 and name. ALSO, it could really do with either 1) a sequel or 2) the characters being split into teams and being incorporated into some EXTREME KOF related, NGeo sprite based game!

LATELY...

KOF98-UM - Great update to an already great game PLUS it contains a pretty much perfect port of the original 98 too. Great stuff!

KOF02-UM - Oh dear... EASILY contender for the best KOF available. This game is immense. If you liked KOF 02 originally, then you will either love or loathe this simply amazing update. However, if you didn't particularly enjoy the original 02, like myself (good game, just a bit 'grey' unfortunately in all the important areas) then theres a chance that you will really like this game. Without hammering on too much, it's just great; presentation, character roster, new moves, new soundtrack etc. This is serious stuff fellas...

SO...

Ultimately you wanted me to just go and tell you the one game, but there is, IMO, quite a few of SNKP's games worthy of mention. I mean, haven't even mentioned MSlug 6 either... I'm sure it's worthy of mention, BUT I haven't played enough of it to comment fully. It does have Ralf & Clark in though... which is excellent! However if I did have to pick one of these games out from the list I've compiled, it would be...

KOF2003.
This game simply took the KOF franchise in a new direction due to the decidedly dodgy NESTS era (I liked it, but I feel most ppl are 96-98 lovers really) and put KOF back on track... and IMO boy was it back! I truly feel that KOF03 is the best KOF you can get for the NGeo as I reckon the game has it all really. Cool intro (Nice logo) Cool new hero team, great artwork (Falcoon?), awesome OST (& particularly AST) better playability with the ability to buffer commands (which helps!) cool character revisions (Robert & K' come to mind) decent BKGD's and 2x pretty cool bosses too (C'mon, Adelheid & Rose are cool as is the soundtrack that accompanies the fight too!)

KOF03 is just so good! My fave KOF ever Grin (followed closely by BOTH XI & 02-UM!)

Ninja

shion
SvC Chaos

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Zakatek
KOF 2003 is very fun game but i like XI's shift system better. For me it is KOF XI but KOF XII seems like to change my mind.

THX-1138
I think KOF XI is the best game in the series, they did great on that.

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum is fun.

KOF 2003 is superb.

The Playmore Metal Slug games aren't that great, but the Slug series needs a revamp anyway.

Sam Sho V wasn't a good game, but then again i only own the infamous PS2 port.

Overall SNK Playmore are keeping the SNK legacy alive while serving longtime fans a steady stream of new content. They are doing OK, it was good to see KOF 02: UM break the Japanese top 10, they would make much better games if they were financially stronger.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

cthulhu
Haven't played KOF XI yet...yes I know, but it's on it's way now since I just ordered it for my Atomiswave so I can finally play it in a few days and give my opinion on it. So I'm still with Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden (still an extremely underrated game).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
I'm not really much of a Playmore fan to be honest and am not keen at all on Samurai Shodown 5 / 5 Special.

However one game I do have to give them a lot of credit for is Twinkle Star Sprites - La Petite Princess on PS2. It's a bit surprising no one has mentioned it in this thread. Although the original is of course still the best TSS game, Playmore really made a very good job of this PS2 sequel. Although the graphics have been updated they haven't altered the gameplay that much from the original. One thing that's really nice in this game are the presentation screens in story mode and the music.

Metal Slug 6 although one of the weaker installments in the series is still a pretty fun game and well worth checking out.

I think after the latest KOF games come out Playmore should give that series a rest and concentrate on making a completely new fighting game with all new characters. If they made a good job of it, it could be really successful, sequels could follow and we would have a whole new fighting game series.
Edited by merlin on 01. April 2009 20:44

chibifox
I liked KOF XI, it was fresh somehow.... also neogeo battle Colosium, as well as samurai showdown 5.

NeoGeoNinja
GLAD TO HEAR (SEE?)...

That ppl like KOFXI! I thought a lot of KOF hardcore weren't 'that into it' if I were honest. I tend to think that XI & 03 are more playable than their predecessors and overall, offer a smoother, fresh KOF experience whilst retaining KOFs greater qualities (03 especially!)

Ninja

reelmojo
If we can count collection I'd have to go with Metal Slug Anthology. I have it for PSP and I have to say it's awesome to always have Metal Slug with you wherever you go.

If collections don't count then I'll have to say KOF 2003. Tagging is a KOF game was a great addition and I really like some of the new characters. I haven't played KoF XI, 98 UM, 02UM, or Metal Slug 7 yet though so take that for what you will.

I have a feeling that many opinions will change once we all get our hands on KoFXII.

bojan4o
i must say kof'03 svc chaos samurai spirits 5 / special because those are the only games i have been playing from snkp
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

bojan4o
but i love how sssen kof XII XIII 02 um 98 um metal slug 6,7 xx and all of their games look
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Glowsquid
I don't care much for fighting games (heresy I know) so I'd say Metal Slug 5. 6 was pants and 7 is mediocre.

STE C
I think a lot of the SNKP stuff has been pretty strong although the output is less and we all know it never gonna be like the mid to late 90s in terms of quality.

I will also plump for KOF03 as being Playmores strongest title with MS5 a joint 1st. I really wish SS6 had blood as well and I did not like the fact that the game is based mainly outside Japan for instance the Whitehouse level does not feel like SS at all.
Its a shame we never had a western release as it has so many menus and styles which must all mean something but there is just to much to get to grips with but I do enjoy the odd blast on it and do think there is a great game waiting to get out .

I want a hi res SS please playmore set in Japan with loads of lovely backgrounds and music , not bloody under achieving 3D fighters that nobody really wants.

Merlin I agree 100% it is time for a new fighting franchise, I also wish SNKPs output was a little higher to as an average of 2 games per year is very sparse for fans.
Edited by STE C on 06. June 2010 15:10

Murikov
Unfortunately I haven't played KoF XI and all other PS2/console exclusive titles (I'm sure I would love the KoF UM versions).

To be honest, I like all the Metal Slugs from 5 to XX (with Advance included), even if they aren't a match to the early prequels. Some of them are be better and other weaker, but overall they are all ok.
SVC on the other hand is just mediocre, the real SNK team did it a lot better with Match of the Millenium (for me that's still the best SNK/Capcom crossover game).

So it's quite hard to declare my real SNKP favorite.

I just hope that SNKP learned a lesson after making a lot of mediocre games and that they reveal their real potential after releasing KoF XIII.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Black Shroud
SS5sp best SNKP game to me so far.
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
LIFE_IN_2D
I really enjoy SVC chaos. I know that it's unbalanced and the roster is too weird for most people. But SVC's oddball cast is great to me. It's probably the SNKP game that I've played the most.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: