3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 1594
Thread Info
There are 107 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 18862 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My Mission to Watch Every Video Game Film Ever!
RiKo
Current LeaderBoard

Silent Hill 8/10
DOA (Dead Or Alive) 8/10
Resident Evil 8/10
King of Kong 7/10
Prince of Persia 7/10
Resident Evil : Apocalypse 7/10
Doom 6/10
Tomb Raider 6/10
Hitman 5/10
Postal 5/10
BloodRayne 2 : Deliverance 5/10 (not as good as Postal or Hitman though)
Resident Evil : Extinction 4/10
Dungeon Siege 3/10
Far Cry 3/10
Double Dragon 2/10

(I have changed all scores to get rid of the decimal points, Films are in order from best to last. So Hitman is just better than Postal.)

My current mission is to watch every video game film ever made! (eventually - I am taking my time Smile). For the last 8 years I have purposefully been avoiding any videogame film, because I instinctively know it will be crap. However about a month ago I read an article on videogame films and I suddenly really wanted to watch some (even though the article said most of them were very bad).

I can remember watching the start of the first Resident Evil film many years back and turning it off when she started to use kung-fu moves - I was sick of films with kung-fu moves at that time. These days I am altogether more positive and I really don't care too much about anything, so it seems the right time to put on some video game movies and to sit back and enjoy the badness! Grin

I have actually seen in the distant murky past the following video game films Street Fighter (I honestly can't remember anything about it! not even JCVD!), Mortal Kombat 1+2 (I liked 2 because I watched it when I should have been at work), Tomb Raider (I liked this and Angelina Joile very much), Tomb Raider 2(Hated it, thought it was crap). Mario Bros film - I actually watched this a second time, because it confused me the first time - it was still sh*te.

Here are my mini reviews of films I have seen on my quest so far (I am not a great film reviewer but I will do my best!) I will try not to spoil the films.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitman - I haven;t played the game, but I've seen it running. Timothy Olyphant(Villian in Die Hard IV) plays Agent 47 - The Hitman. He is betrayed by his employers and has to survive attacks from the police, some evil Russian guy and his former employers - all whilst looking after a Russian prostitute. I thought this film was OK, the only thing that seemed slightly incongrous was that he was meant to be keeping a low profile, but he kept walking around with his bald head showing, and the barcode was clearly visible on the back - but I think this had to be done, since this is what happens in the game. The film seems a little low budget (sometimes the fights relied more on quick camera cuts and edits than special effects) but it was enjoyable in places. Olyphant was good as the Hitman I thought. I give it 5/10 (where 5 is an average score)

DOA - This is a great film. Whilst it is really bad - it manages to be so ridiculously bad that it ends up being great! This was my favourite of all the VG films I have seen on my quest so far (only 4 mind you). I actually watched this with a girl down my road - who wanted to watch it becasue Holly Valance was it in (ex-Neighbours you see). Anyway we both had a big smile on our faces after the first half hour, and there were many times when we were laughing. I couldn't work out if the film was intentionally meant to be funny though. So many questions - why is Tina a wrestler but never seems to use wrestling moves? (until halfway through the film). Why does the guy running the fighting tournament (DOA) make everyone jump out of an aeroplane, and give them a deadline to reach the compound - when he wants all there to be able to have a tournament? Why does the old guy fighter - look like a young guy with grey beard stuck on his face?

What's best about this film is the way they really try to stick to the exact format of the game at times - this makes it extra bad and funny. Some of the locations also look blantently computer generated too. Anyway you get good-looking girls and fighting, and many laughs - so what more do you want? I enjoyed this film a lot - if you sit down and expect to have some fun- you will very much enjoy this Smile I give it 8/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now watched 2 more films since but I don't want to bore you with those yet - so I will save those for later. I will write mini-reviews of all the films I watch on this thread

Please feel free to disagree with me, these are just my honest opinions Smile Please tell me what you thought of these films and whether you agree or diagree with me.

**My Tip**: Never go to watch a videogame film at the cinema - or disappointment will be guarenteed - always watch on DVD or on broadcast TV.
Edited by RiKo on 21. July 2012 17:44
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Raiken
Get ready for a lot of crapGrin
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

reelmojo
Are you only counting American films or will anime factor in? If anime is included you'll see some good ones there (Street Fighter II) as well as some horrible ones (Tekken).

The best video game movies I've seen by far are Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Resident Evil: Degeneration. It seems that CG is the way to do VG movies right. I still have enjoyed a few live action ones too... Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, and I'm trying to rack my brain for a third good one but I can't come up with one. I haven't watched Doom yet but I hear that as long as you don't expect it to be faithful to Doom, it's a good zombie movie.
Edited by reelmojo on 07. March 2009 04:51

cthulhu
I hated Street Fighter The Movie...Blanka was just a guy painted green with a Hideous orange wig...Blanka is my favorite character in the SF games...the only positive thing about this movie was Raul Julia acting over the top.
There's one Video Game Movie that I though was actually really good...Silent Hill.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

DevDan
I've seen recently "Doom" on public tv, It wasn't exactly that bad , by halfway movie when the protagonist takes a (phoenix down) special vaccine and starts seeing on a FPS perspective shooting hordes of monsters after monsters walking on an endless stairway, I felt depressed. The movie isn't atrocious, but if someone forced me to see it again (tied on a chair with paper glue extending my eye'skin) I would considered it torture.
I care not for what you say, Original Video games should never be taken to movie theaters, movies should never be adapted to video games.. it's just wrong and a selfish way to make profit. Once Metal Gear the movie shows up I might actually die in shame, why kojima, why...
Edited by DevDan on 07. March 2009 14:41

RiKo
I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I am expecially looking forward to seeing Postal and King Of Kong. I haven't seen any anime or CG VGame films, but I will try and watch some. I have always wanted to see the Street Fighter anime one since I heard that was good.

Sometimes with anime though I think - if this was live action it would be considered sh*t . lol. (I do like anime though)

I remmeber Blanka in Street Fighter Cthulhu. He was just an ordinary guy who was made mad by being forced to watch loads of violent sick videos wasn't he. He certainly wasn't the same beast who was in the game!

Don't worry guys - I have prepared myself for some seriously bad films. It will be tough and I hope there is no long lasting damage.

DevDan - Yes Doom is on my list Smile I will have to prepare for that one......

** just remembered I did 'Film Studies' as part of my qualification. I always knew it would come in useful. It was on classic Hollywood Cinema.
Edited by RiKo on 07. March 2009 21:24

reelmojo
cthulhu wrote:There's one Video Game Movie that I though was actually really good...Silent Hill.
Holy crap I can't believe I forgot about Silent Hill! That movie was extremely faithful to the games, even going as far as to use some of the same camera angles and music. As far as live action VG movies go it's probably the one that's most faithful to its source material, even though the story is not from the games. It makes many direct references to the games, but it seems more like a tribute than a story that's meant to take place in the same universe. Then again, are all of the Silent Hill games even considered to actually be in the same universe? And if so, why haven't they nuked that damn place yet?

Anyway, even if you don't know much about the Silent Hill games, if you like horror/monster movies it's really good. Pyramid Head is awesome.

The eccentric cat
I'm probably the only person in this whole forum (or world) that somewhat enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. film. -_-

And if you're counting some anime, there are some laughable ones, such as Virtua Fighter, Art of Fighting... So bad its good! XP
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

phry
It sounds like a very difficult mission that may destroy your faith in their ever being a good video-game-to-film movie, especially when you get to the films of Uwe Boll.

Mind you, I actually liked the Resident Evil movies in a trashy, guilty-pleasure kind of way. Mind you, I find them so far removed from the original source material that I watch them in their own right as spearate from the games.

Mind you, I couldn't take Hitman seriously after it nicked the opening credits footage from the pilot episode of Dark Angel. Mind you, if it was faithful to the game, he'd be setting up traps from a distance rather than shooting people.

Mind you, I'm so glad I never watched Max Payne - that just looks terrible.

Will there ever be a good game-to-movie translation?

RiKo
I think Postal is a Uwe Boll film. I don't know if it is any good but I just like that it sounds really offensive. I did hear he was going to make a crazy taxi film - I really want to see that if it happens. I don't know Dark Angel - sounds like a Buffy spinoff Smile

For me I think a really good videogame film would not be based very closely on a particular game, but would just use some of the characters and the world that game is set in. I think the same is the case for books and films.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok here are the other 2 VG films I have watched so far.

Resident Evil Apocalypse . After watching the first 10 minute of this film I thought it was going to awful. Mainly because Racoon city sounds like the supidest name for a real-world city ever - it took me a while to get over it. However I started to gradually get into it, and by the end of the film I realised I had enjoyed the ride. Story : the T-Virus has escaped from the Umbrellla labs and is infecting Racoon City at an alarming rate. Umbrella seals off the city and the few human inhabitants left (ie not zombies) are in some serious shit. At least until Milla Jovovich comes along on her motorbike that is....

Out of the RE games - I have played RE2 RE:CV and RE4. This feels quite a lot like RE2 with a fair bit of RE3 thrown in. I like that Jill Valentine looks a just like her videogame version. Nemesis is also in here, and there is also a homage to the intro on RE:CV. There are some other charcters from the games too.

Lots of action and more good-looking women Smile I enjoyed this film overall 7/10.

Alien Vs Predator Requiem - not really sure if this counts as a video game film so I will give it a short review. I think the games came before the films at least. A ship with Aliens on crashes into the US, and the Aliens are soon causing trouble in the nearest town (those pesky aliens!). A Predator arrives to hunt the aliens, and the humans just want to survive.

This a bit shit, thre is a vague atempt at a human story line, which fails when most of the people involved die. lol. I do like the idea of having Aliens in a more open area - ie a forest and town, but this is a bad film overall. I actually remember liking the first AvP film, but this is a lot worse. Sloppy 3/10

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget these are just my opinions, I'd be interested to hear yours if you have seen any of these films and what scores you would give them Smile

I have heard good things about Silent Hill. I will definitely be watching it Smile
Edited by RiKo on 08. March 2009 17:20

reelmojo
Yes, Postal is a Uwe Boll movie. I have it on my Netflix Instant Queue on my 360, but I haven't been bold enough to watch it yet.

It's probably in your best interest to break up the Boll movies so you don't have to watch more than one in a row.

Crazy Taxi? I like how now he can only get the film rights to games that could absolutely never be a good film. What's next? Burnout?

RiKo
lol. I will bear that advice in mind Grin

I don't want to mess too much with Uwe Boll though. Read this (from an old magazine)

A stroke of recent genius has been Boll's inspired way of tackling his biggest critics, by way of challenging his most vocal adversaries to a boxing match.

He has invited his top five most outspoken critics of 2005 - who must have written at least two extemely negative articles last year - to appear in his feature film Postal with airfares and hotel expenses to Vancouver being paid by Boll's production company, Boll KG.

As Boll's guests, they'll have the chance to be an extra in Postal, before having the opportunity to enter the boxing ring to fight Boll himself in a ten-bout match. Again he's a genius. Incredibly, these five matches will occur over the last two days of filming Postal - Boll's clearly confident he won't sustain many injuries, especially given his boxing background - with certain scenes (read: clips of extreme punsihment) from the boxing matches becoming part of the Postal movie. All five fights will be televised on the internet and covered by the international press. Mr Boll we salute you.

Here's one of the fights Smile

YouTube Video

candycab
The new RE animated thing is really poor, just had no soul to it at all and felt like it was only created to milk some more cash from RE fans.

Not as bad as Dead Space though.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

reelmojo
I like how that quote calls him a genius. "You say my movies suck? I PUNCH YOU NOW!"

...yeah, real genius.

candycab, while I could sit here and list all of the reasons that I disagree with you about RE: Degeneration, I'll just say that I loved it. I thought it told a great story and was basically fan service for RE fans.

Raiken
candycab wrote:
The new RE animated thing is really poor, just had no soul to it at all and felt like it was only created to milk some more cash from RE fans.

I enjoyed it enough. It was very nostalgic in that it reminded me of the good old days of RE2. I'm still sad RE5 didn't return to the traditional slow-moving zombies but at least I won't have to deal with those annoying Spanish peasants now.

RiKo
Reelmojo wrote:- I like how that quote calls him a genius. "You say my movies suck? I PUNCH YOU NOW!"

...yeah, real genius.

I think its a great idea - get some publicity for your film and punch out your most hated critics. Win-Win situation for Boll.

I am actually worried - suppose I like any of Boll's films? could be embarassing - I will be honest if I like them though - probably won't happen though.

I have been cleansing my palette for the last few days, so I can freshly taste the delights of more videogame films! Yummy

I have 2 more I think on DVD - King of Kong and Postal so I will watch those next probably.

Raiken
The eccentric cat wrote:
I'm probably the only person in this whole forum (or world) that somewhat enjoyed the Super Mario Bros. film. -_-

And if you're counting some anime, there are some laughable ones, such as Virtua Fighter, Art of Fighting... So bad its good! XP

I enjoyed the SMB film. It was bad enough to be good imo.

RiKo
Ahhh - I am missing Ralf now. Mai was fun for a while (very fun) but I need to go back to my old Ralf avatar again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched the King of Kong over the last 2 days (it always takes me 2 days to watch a movie haha). Ok well it's a pretty good film as many of you will know. Its the story of Steve Wiebe's (likeable family guy) attempt to beat the Donkey Kong high score, set by the famous Billy 'Perfect Pacman' Mitchell, many years ago. A score which no one has even got close to!

Obssessing over the game and playing it in his garage he finally acheives and records on videotape a score of over 1 million points (a new world record). However there is controversy and this score is deemed invalid by Twin Galaxies (the organisation which records video game scores), and which employs Billy Mitchell as a judge! (very naughty!) This film is an account of Steve Wiebe's mission to beat Billy Mitchell's top score, which he attempts to do live at videogame tournaments - such as the one in Funspot, New Hampshire, USA. - so there can be no further controversy. Does he do it? well you will have to watch the film to find out.

I enjoyed this film. The 2 main characters are Billy Mitchell (the bad guy) and Steve Wiebe (the good guy), and other people such as Walter Day (head and founder of Twin Galaxies) play supporting roles. Its not as great as people say it is in my opinion, and the ending is a little anti-climatic. I would say the film peaks at approx halfway when Steve Wiebe particpates in the Funspot event. Thank god for Steve Wiebe (who seems like a normal guy) or this film would be painfully geeky too. I mean geeky in the worst possible way. A lot of questions go unanswered too. Why do they never ask Billy Mitchell why he won't compete against Steve Wiebe live. The film seems to jump past Wiebe's Donkey Kong Jnr record too. Why don't they ask Walter Day why he acceptd Billy Mitchells taped effort, when it hasn't been verified? Why does Steve Wiebe always leave his garage door open when he has a Donkey Kong machine in there? (I guess its for the cameras to see in) There has been some criticism of this film painting Billy M as the bad guy and SW as the good guy too but that's not a problem for the film. I can't ever see myself watching this film again however. although I would probably watch DOA or Resi Evil again.

Best bit of the film is when Billy Mitchell's friend and ex-rival Steve Saunders says he thinks Steve Wiebe is a really genuine guy. Billy M is fuming. You can really see Steve S is scared to say it too in front of Billy Mitchell. He clearly controls Saunders (Sanders?) normally. This moment reveals more about their relationship (as boss and employee) and their personalities than any other.

I give this 7/10 a good film. It is enjoyable but not as much so as RE or DOA.
Edited by RiKo on 19. March 2009 21:41

chrisdl
postal was also re released in directors cut form

house of the dead also got a directors cut, dubbed the funny version

i cant imagine either being worth watching

RiKo
Postal

OK a Uwe Boll film at last! Some of you will be pleased to know that Uwe Boll dies in this film after being shot in the balls (yes they do explode). But not before he kills the creator of the Postal videogame. Confused?

Ok the story, the main guy (Postal dude) - gets laid off from his job, he discovers his wife is having sex with practically everyone behind his back. In desperation he gets involved in a dodgy job to capture a shipment of Krotchy dolls. These are the current must have toy and because of a large shortage they sell for huge amounts of money. Anyway things get complicated and all hell breaks lose.

I thought the first 5 minutes of this film was pretty funny, but then the next 30 minutes just seemed to go by in a crazy not-funny mess, and it was hard to tell what was happening (partly because the music is so loud compared to the speech track). At this point I thought 'What the Hell?' But then it started to get good - around the time of the raid on Little Germany theme park. There's a load of women with painted on hitler moustaches in little army 2 piece outfits, rubbing sunlotion onto themselves, giving BJ's to security guards. This is actually a planned distraction for the Postal dude and friends make their raid to capture the Krotchy dolls. Anyway it goes wrong when the Taliban arrive with the same intention and an all out gunfight ensues. Boll dies in this gunfight as do numerous small children, and you see them innocently eating an ice cream or licking a lollipop, before they are hit by bullets and dowsed in a spray of claret. This is actually quite funny, because most films pussy out of showing children being killed (Resident Evil : Aplocalypse for example at the school). It's done in a funny way if that makes sense - I am not sick - OK? lol

My favourite part of this film is the black police officer who keeps a retarded wheel-chair bound guy in his garage. He takes him out in the day and just leaves him somewhere in the city, and then at the end of the day collects him and takes all the money he has got from sympathetic passers-by.

Unfortunately the film loses its way a little towards the end and becomes so unreal that you no longer really care what is happening.

Will you like this film? - well it depends on your sense of humour. It's kind of offensive humour, but not very offenesive if that makes sense. Its not nasty or anything - just poking fun at everyone.

I give it a 5/10 not that good, but has its funny moments, but at other times falls flat. 100% crazy though.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of this film. I really struggled to mark it, I was going to give it a 4 or a 5 but then I was watching Mr Nice Guy with Jackie Chan today, and it has to be said Postal was better! I think 5 is probably fair.
Edited by RiKo on 19. March 2009 21:29

Jump to Forum: