Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: DevDan
Thread ID: 1593
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6639 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Your Top5 NG mvs/aes picks?
DevDan
I know what your thinking ..the usual top Sh*t thread again.. well, your damn right. I've done a little research on the General Talk threads and being unable to find any "top" related lists besides Kazuya's, I've decided to create one of my own. New to Neo-Geo gaming, I'd really like to know what are your fav games, and if you can state why, I'll be twice as grateful.
Edited by DevDan on 07. March 2009 19:37

RiKo
I don't think we've done a top 5 game list yet, so I think its a great idea DevDan. Here's my Top 5 but I might change it if I've forgotten something Smile

1. Garou : Mark of The Wolves - I love this game, I love the graphics, the music, the animation and the overall vibe. Gameplay is excellent with a nice 'parry' system and some great special moves inc the legendary Bustah Wolf!

2. Blazing Star - I only got into this properly since I started playing it for the score challenge. The scoring system is incredibly deep, and when you are playing for score you notice all the thought that the designers have put into the game. I like that its a really dynamic fast moving shooter, with a little bullet-hell thrown in for good measure.

3. King Of the Fighters 02 - I almost put 96, but 02 was the first one I tried, and I really like the way it plays, with the huge choice of charcters. Ralf will always be my favourite.

4. Metal Slug 3 - An amazing Metal Slug game. Hugely ambitious with great vehicle sections, and I love the zombies and that you can vomit blood.

5. Waku Waku 7 - One of the reasons I bought a Neo Geo, I just really like the style of the game with all the madness and the great characters. Plays great too Smile

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Atomduck
Its alright dude, my list for favorite Neo-Geo games CONSTANTLY change!

1. Blazing Star - I got this as a gift and BOY was it expensive... I luckily got a conversion for this cart but yeah, as RiKO said above, the game is simply incredible with great music, graphics, and gameplay. Oh Windia Ftw!

2. KOF 99' - I got this for Christmas and I was astounded. I love the striker system!

3. Metal Slug 3- Absolute craziness and epic.

4. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special- This game is pure class. Play it

5. Neo-Turf Masters/ Baseball Stars 2- I don't own these games, but by far one of my favorite sports titles
Edited by Atomduck on 04. March 2009 19:15

reelmojo
I'm going to write this list without looking at any list of games for reminders, so if I miss something I'll come back and add it later...

5. Metal Slug 3 - MS3, more than any other game in the series, is a masterpiece from start to finish. If you're getting into NG games through emulation then play them all, but if you can only buy one then get this one. Or just get the MS Anthology for PS2 or PSP.
4. King of Fighters '02 - I almost put '98 because I've spent more time with it, but this one has the same concept plus a lot more. If you like to be overwhelmed when you see a character select screen, this is the game for you.
3. The Last Blade - Expertly balanced, extremely technical gameplay, amazing graphics and presentation... I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this game.
2. Waku Waku 7 - Like a bit of craziness in your fighting games? Look no further. It's as easy to pick up and play as the cartoony graphics will make you believe it is, but also as deep as a fighter on a system flooded with fighters needs to be.
1. Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Honestly any of these top 3 are interchangeable for me, but if there's one Neo fighter you should try this is probably it. Everything I said about Last Blade can be applied to Garou as well.

Honorable mention: Pulstar, Blazing Star, Puzzle Bobble (only not in the top 5 because you've probably played some version of it already), Twinkle Star Sprites, Breakers Revenge, Sengoku 3, Blue's Journey, any other KoF or Metal Slug game.

NeoGeoNinja
Hey DevDan... cool plan! LETS ROCK... Headbang

IN NO particular order:

1) KOF 03:
Personally I think this is the best in the series to date. Though I have recently found myself to be a person who prefers newer KOF's to old (unless it's '95). This game (03) gave the series a much needed kick up the behind to make KOF feel fresh & exciting again because, even though 02 (for example) plays great - greater than most KOFs tbh - the backgrounds looked very average to me and, perhaps more importantly, the Soundtrack is/was literally abysmal Real Sad LUCKILY THOUGH... SNKP recently released KOF 2002 UM on PS2 and I have found upon playing it that the above criticisms have been pretty much vanquished!

2) Real Bout Series (I would say... RBFFSpecial!)
DAMNIT! I GENUINELY LOVE all 3 of these games equally!! That never happens BUT I find so much to love in all 3 that, to me, they each stand up on their individual merits! Right now I cannot choose a specific title from the series. Sorry! They are all amazing and my opinion on my fave of the 3 fluctuates periodically Smile I FEEL EITHER RBFFSp or RB2 to be the BEST of the 3, but at present the original is my FAVE due to nostalgia (and the ability to create some ridiculous combos too... Kim anybody?) AGAIN, when I play 'em some more my feelings will change again. I JUST HAVE TO GO WITH THE WHOLE SERIES!

3) SVC Chaos:
The fact that you can pit the likes of an SNK'd Ryu against SNK's actual Kyo (for example) makes this game, in my eyes, goddamn essential Grin I love the way that this feels and plays differently to 'KOF' too. This game got a hard time really, and whilst perhaps not as accomplished and polished as a KOF title or indeed Capcoms CvS series, I find that this game has had a longer lasting appeal and hasn't really dated like Cvs2 for example. Plus I get to use Tessa & Violent Ken. Absolutely! Headbang

4) Samurai Shodown 3:
DAMNIT! AGAIN... I cannot really choose between 3 & 4 as I love them both so much. My FAVE in the series is SS3, HOWEVER, I GENUINELY believe SS4 to be the BEST in the series as it's got more balanced gameplay, more characters, cool combo system etc than SS3 and plays better overall. PLUS it looks amazing and sounds amazing too!! ANYWAY, SS3 is my personal FAVE as it's the first SS I played and fell in love with, simply because its an amazing game! The graphics blew me away, the characters were uber cool, the moves were awesome and Zankuro is the baddest... the final encounter with him is probably quite easily the most impressive boss encounter I've ever had in any 2D fighter!! The atmosphere (volume up please!) is so epic... right through to the credits!

5) KOF '95
My fave KOF ever. This is the first KOF I ever played and it blew me socks off! I love it just as much now as I did 12 years ago (I didn't get it 'til '96). The gameplay is still solid and accurate. The soundtrack is fab! The stage designs are better than most (95 & 96 have the best stages & music). PLUS the characters play more like their specific game counterparts (like Andy plays very similar to his FF2 counterpart... shame they ruined him ever since, LITERALLY... roll on KOFXII Andy as he looks very '95'Wink

6) Fatal Fury 2 (Hah Haaa... Thats right, SIX! I cheated...)
Probably my all time favourite NeoGeo game. This was the first actual NeoGeo game I ever played, and having loved playing my copy of FFury1 on the MegaDrive beforehand, I couldn't believe my eyes (or ears!) when I finally played FF2 in a local arcade. Everything about this game screamed (screams!) awesome! From the big brash NGeo-esque sprites, to the harsh Smashes of Terrys HK to Chengs face to Mais KO scream and Andys nasal 'Kiaps'. The soundtrack is uber cool too. All the music is very memorable! I know FFSpecial superceded it in most ways, but I still prefer FF2 all these years on. I prefer the opening intro (epic!) along with the speech... FAAATAL FUURY TWOOO! I prefer the character select screen and VS screen. I love the bonus games missing from Special. A code for FF2 allows you to use the boss characters (if you want to?). The addition of Duck & Tung isn't really enough to make me prefer FFSp over FF2, HOWEVER, I do acknowledge FFSp does have slightly improved gameplay tweaks/balancing and less harsh CPU.

OTHER CLOSE honourable mentions:
World Heroes Perfect, Garou MOTW, KOF99 & 01, FFury & FFury 3, Kizuna Encounter, Ninja Masters, Galaxy Fight (underrated), Matrimelee and also Last Resort... only played it recently AND it was absolutely awesome!

YOU GUESSED IT... It's all about the fighting games for me! Sure, I love MSlug games etc, but when it comes to the GEO... It's time to fight Argue

Ninja

cthulhu
1. Waku Waku 7: a great and colorful game with a nice diversity of characters. Lost of humor as well, this game is a spoof on many other fighting games and of course Dragon Ball. Waku Waku 7 also has great gameplay mechanics and the controls are very smooth. Extemely fun to play.
2. Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2: in my opinion the best Garou/ Fatal Fury game ever created. For me, it's a lot more fun to play than Garou Mark of the Wolves. I also like the cartoony graphics a lot and the music just kicks ass.
3. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi: pure gaming art. I just love the whole dramatic atmosphere of this game. The graphics are just awesome, the backgrounds and sprites are so extremely detailed. I also love the fact that some fights don't have any music, but only background noises, it really adds to the atmosphere. Controls are extremely smooth and each character has a pretty big moveset.
4. Samurai Spirits Zankurou Musouken: in my opinion THE best Samurai Spirits game ever created. Again a game with lots of atmosphere, a real somber and dark game. The backgrounds have a nice dark feel to them and are also nicely detailed. The music is just classic Samurai Spirits...mostly nice traditional Japanese music, with some tracks that rock a bit more. I also like the fact that the fight are really fast and furious, if you leave yourself open to an attack, you're as good as dead. Fights can be over within seconds if you play it the wrong way...this game has the emphasis on defence, attacks that come through while you leave yourself open, deal much more damage than normal and this makes the game play a lot different than other fighting games.
5. Twinkle Star Sprites: an extremely addictive and original shmup. I really like the cutesy anime style and accompanying music. Gameplay is really hectic and also very original. It's just too damn much fun to play.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

THX-1138
1. Last Blade 2
2. Garou: Mark Of The Wolves
3. Metal Slug
4. The King Of Fighters 98'
5. Blazing Star
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

Shiny
It's difficult to pick the "best" Neo games, but these are my most played...

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Shock Troopers
3. Neo Turf Masters
4. The Last Blade
5. Waku Waku 7

merlin
I always enjoy these list threads. It's interesting to see what everyone will pick and coming up with a list yourself is fun. We should really do a top 10 list in the future that would be really interesting.

In no particular order:

Samurai Shodown 4 - my personal favourite entry in what is surely one of the greatest series of fighting games ever to have existed on the face of the earth. A flawless creation. The character designs are perfect and the gameplay has a really good feel about it.

Breakers - a fast paced exciting fighting game which is in my view one of the very best games of this genre on the Neo Geo. Essential for any fighting game fan.

Kizuna Encounter - this awesome tag battle fighting game looks great and plays great. Plus it has the unforgettable boss battle against King Lion in his palace. It's also nice that you can play this game in 2 player co-op mode.

Twinkle Star Sprites - a very original game with nice cutesy colourful graphics, a great soundtrack and highly addictive gameplay.

Pulstar - my all-time favourite Neo Shooter. The perfect combination of stunning graphics, atmospheric soundtrack and gameplay that provides a lasting challenge.

priest
DevDan: I want to start by apologizing to you for being so late to contribute to this thread. Might be because its really difficult to single out (only) 5 games out of the NEO GEO games library.

Well this is my pick:

GAROU MARK OF THE WOLVES: The best beat´em up, no matter which system in my opinion.

STRIKERS 1945+: A great vertical shoot´em up

METAL SLUG III: No explanation neededSmile

LAST BLADE II: A tough choice between this and LB I, but I think the sequel is the best weapon-based beat´em up.

KING OF FIGHTERS ´98: The first KOF game I "ran" into and still the best in the series.

Well there it´s done. Now I want to see your top 5 picks, DevDan...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:

STRIKERS 1945+: A great vertical shoot´em up

HAVE TO SAY PRIEST... loving your passion for Strikers1945(+) Wink

Personally I only have St1945 1+2 on the Saturn & the JP Psikyo collection for PS2... yeah, I own all those iterations 'cause like you, I also think the Strikers games are FANTASTIC! Thumbs Up

IF... you've played either of these 2, I'd like to know which you prefer?! Hmm

Thinking about it, it's a shame they didn't ever do a GunBird+ for Neo. That'd been cool!

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 07. April 2009 13:47

priest
NeoGeoNinja: Thanks buddy, good to hear there are some love in the world for this game. I also have the PS2 Psikyo compilation (with Strikers 1 and 2) might not be the Psikyo collection you own for the PS2?

Which version game do you prefer to play Strikers 1945 1 / 2 / +?

I Prefer The + version for the MVS. I know there are people out there which think this is an inferior version to the other games. But I don´t agree. The only thing I would like would be for the stages to be a bit longer, I WANT MORE!!!!!!!

Strikers 1945+ for the MVS is a beuatiful and highly entertaining game, and if you havent tryed it the you should. You won´t be dissapointed.

Gunbird+ just thinking about it gives me a "boner" Grin

By the way I love you new Ninja avatar much better than the Jago one, nice oneThumbs Up

NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
NeoGeoNinja: Thanks buddy, good to hear there are some love in the world for this game. I also have the PS2 Psikyo compilation (with Strikers 1 and 2) might not be the Psikyo collection you own for the PS2?

I own the JP version (which is actually PsiKyo's own compilation) & also the PAL version, called 1945 1&2 - complete with lazy conversion and crappy cover artwork (like something off a kids book about WWII!) To fully enjoy Str1945 1&2 you either need the Arc.Originals or the Saturn Versions (maybe the PS1 versions are ok too?).

EVEN... the Psikyo collection (JP) for PS2 is good... but somehow not as good as the SAT versions. They're just pure perfection! Not sure which 'versions' you've played!? Shrug

priest wrote:
Which version game do you prefer to play Strikers 1945 1 / 2 / +?

I like '2' best then '1'... I cannot really comment on '+' as I only ever had it on emulation years ago (while I had the originals on SAT though). At the time I thought it was a good alternative for Neo owners as it contained levels and bosses from both 1 & 2 (not all from 1&2, more like a remix if you like with bits of each). I thought this was cool as it made the game appeal to collectors of Strikers series and Neo owners too. If they'd have just made 1&2 separately for the Neo, it wouldn't have made the game(s) as special as '+'.

1945+ reminds me a lot of Sonic Wings Special on SAT & PS1... as its a combination of levels and bosses from the Sonic Wings / Aero Fighters that preceded it. However personally I find the AeroFighters/SonicWings games not to be as good as the Strikers series. What do you think?! Hmm

priest wrote:
I Prefer The + version for the MVS. I know there are people out there which think this is an inferior version to the other games. But I don´t agree. The only thing I would like would be for the stages to be a bit longer, I WANT MORE!!!!!!!

YEAH, I'VE HEARD STUFF BEFORE... about it being inferior (soundtrack, slowdown etc) but having not played it in a long while I wouldn't like to judge it. I think I'd like it regardless of it's flaws if I were honest. Wink

priest wrote:
Strikers 1945+ for the MVS is a beuatiful and highly entertaining game, and if you havent tryed it the you should. You won´t be dissapointed.

Well, maybe one day...

priest wrote:
Gunbird+ just thinking about it gives me a "boner" Grin

Yeah, it could've been done I reckon, as a culmination of levels and bosses from boh GB1 & GB2... would've been nice for Neo owners to have I think. HELL, if they can get Ryu & Ken on the Neo, then this should have been only a pinch!

priest wrote:
By the way I love you new Ninja avatar much better than the Jago one, nice oneThumbs Up

Thanks Priest! Saw the Ninja and felt it should get involved. Sorry you're not into Jago, or maybe even KI/2/Gold? Jago & Cinder are my faves in that series... it felt only ight I should represnt the awesome combo fest, that is Killer Instinct. I think we deserve a KI(1!) HD Remix! Well, I can wish. Pray

priest
NeoGeoNinja: Well Sonic Wings is a good game too, although I´m having some trouble taking the game seriously piloting a "tool of death" with a dolphinRoll Eyes

Strikers 1945+ is superior to both Ghost pilots and Sonic wings IMO. And yea I know Strikers is not as old as the other two...

Well cinder were pretty "hot stuff" at the time Ho-Ho-Ho (sorry bout that)

Neo Beast
1. MOTW
2. KOF98
3. Metal Slug
4. Last Blade
5. Fighters History

NeoGeoNinja
THE LAST BLADE 1&2...

seeing this a lot in the top 5 picks for most ppl.

FOR SOME REASON... I, personally, can't seem to enjoy playing the LBlade games. I know I know... I don't know why. I just don't seem to enjoy the combat all that much, regardless of how 'good' it is. Very frustrating. Always is when everyone else worships something... and you 'just don't see it'. I SEE the graphics & HEAR the music btw... top notch stuff, but for me, I'd rather look, hear and play SS3&4. Hmm

I DO LIKE Zantestsu though. Thats who I always use... OH... and I really enjoy using Kaede in NBGC too... he really suits the fast pace of combat in that game. Very dangerous to fight against!! Also, Moriya looks amazing... cannot use him for sh*t though Real Sad

I'll stick with it/them... see how I get on Thumbs Up

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 08. April 2009 14:13

STE C
Good post im gonna make things interesting by listing my top 5 pre/post 1995 games as i reckon things came on big style with SNK it terms of quality round about this time

1 SS2 * surprise*
2 FFS
3 Fatal Fury
4 SS1
5 Cyber Lip

1 SS4
2 Real Bout 2
3 Lst Blade
4 KOF 98
5 Shock Troopers/ Metal Slug sorry cant decide which i prefer

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Good post im gonna make things interesting by listing my top 5 pre/post 1995 games as i reckon things came on big style with SNK it terms of quality round about this time

1 SS2 * surprise*
2 FFS
3 Fatal Fury
4 SS1
5 Cyber Lip

1 SS4
2 Real Bout 2
3 Lst Blade
4 KOF 98
5 Shock Troopers/ Metal Slug sorry cant decide which i prefer

TUT TUT Ste!

I cheated with SIX games but ELEVEN!! Shock
I'm not buying into the 'interesting' excuse btw Roll Eyes
TRUST ME... picking 5 (*ahem* 6?) games out of everything the Neo has to offer is probably one of the hardest decisions any of us has had to make... heh Grin

Seriously though, I'd love to see which 5 out of your 11 you'd go for?! Hmm

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 11. April 2009 10:00

STE C
Damm you Bully boy ok you have a point here is my top5 if i only had to play 5 neo games for the rest of my life

Real Bout 2
SS4
Last Blade
KOF 98
Metal Slug

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Damm you Bully boy ok you have a point here is my top5 if i only had to play 5 neo games for the rest of my life

Real Bout 2
SS4
Last Blade
KOF 98
Metal Slug

Ha Haaa... now thats more like it!
Nice to see SS4 & RB2 there Thumbs Up

That sir, is a fine selection of games Clap

Ninja

Jump to Forum: