Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 1568
Thread Info
There are 84 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 13320 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Pulstar: NGFL High Score Challenge
NEO-GEO man
That 3rd boss was the key, until i beat him i couldnt do anything better, 4th stage wasnt even a concern...

priest
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Yeah, look at the scores on my pic to see where i started the night!!!!

Yea, thatŽs what I was refering toSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Chiba3010
Decided to go with Pulstar for my first SHMUP HSC attempt! As as beautiful as it is cruel, I really need to spend more time with this fantastic shooter and give it the attention it deserves. Only had time for two runs today with semi-decent results- the second attempt was the better one. I was doing very well, nearly reaching Stage 2's boss encounter unscathed.... until one of those spiny crab-monsters crawled out of the ceiling and bulldozed my ship into the ground. It was all downhill from there...

Chiba3010 (CES)Best Score: 151250, Stage: 2, Format: AES home cart

i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/Snapbucket/595AAE12-1.jpg

The game really motivates you to practice and improve so you can soak in the vivid sights and sounds that reward you when reach a new area for the first time. Thumbs Up
Edited by Chiba3010 on 06. June 2012 06:53

NEO-GEO man
Youre gettin up there Chiba, not bad for 2 runs!! You really need to go from start with out being blown up, as soon as youre blown up, its so damn hard to get the power ups back and kill everything on the way with the lesser power up!!

Is this Japan region console again?? Makes no difference that i know of on this game, but some games are abit different on the different regions!! A good example is Neo DriftOut, you can get quite abit better times on the US region than you can on the others!! There are quite a few games where it makes a difference. I always add it into my line for that reason, and cause its interesting sometimes!!

priest
Welcome to the Pulstar HSC, Chiba.

Like N.G man says, interesting to know as much as possible about how this score was achieved, such as the region of the console.

Scoreboard and medals are updated.

Chiba3010
@Neo Geo Man & Priest: thank you for the warm welcome to this HSC and the encouraging words!

Concerning console region, Pulstar was played on my Japanese AES. Really interesting to know that some titles feature regional differences beyond speech and text that actually affect gameplay as well! Both of my AES models are Japanese, so I was totally unaware of this Hmm

I'll be sure to mention system region in future submissions now that I know in some cases this makes a difference!

NEO-GEO man
Grab yourself a UniBIOS for one of them, then leave one stock, and use the other for when you want to change regions, you can use it in AES or MVS mode, and all 3 regions are available. Its worth a look cause some high score threads are broken into 2 parts for variations in the regions, like Strikers 1945 PLUS and Prehistoric Isle 2 are both different in Japan region, same on both US and Euro. Neo DriftOut is same in Japan and Euro, different in USA. Aero Fighters 3, same in USA and Japan, different in Euro....

Chiba3010
New best- on my way to being a contender... Even though this game hates all mankind, I still love it and gladly endure the punishment. Wink

Chiba3010: Score: 172,290, Stage: 2, Format: AES home cart

i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/Snapbucket/8E63109C.jpg
Edited by Chiba3010 on 15. June 2012 22:29

NEO-GEO man
Wait til you get to stage 3 Wink You should try practicing it now and continue practicing it til you can do it on one life, then getting past stage 2 wont leave you buggered!! Smile

Chiba3010
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Wait til you get to stage 3 Wink You should try practicing it now and continue practicing it til you can do it on one life, then getting past stage 2 wont leave you buggered!! Smile

That's a sound, strategic approach to practice that I'll definitely explore. Thank you, sir! I've yet to survive Stage 2's boss battle on one credit during my two HSC sessions. Your approach should aid in overcoming this hurdle. Thumbs Up

I love shmups, particularly the punishingly difficult ones- surviving the chaotic onslaught of death approaching from every angle makes for some truly intense gameplay. Though Blazing Star is also brilliant, Pulstar is a more serious, no-nonsense affair- an "A-List" title that remains my favorite shooter on the Neo. Headbang

NEO-GEO man
Well that isnt my approach but it sure wouldve helped if i tried it though!!

The second boss is not real hard, charge shots take him down the best. Full charge though.

I used to love Blazing Star more so too, but i came back toward Pulstar as being the better game in some ways, they are both very brilliant in every way though.

priest
Chiba: Well done, I hope you wonŽt use does Katana blades to take out your frustration on neither the TV or the AES systemWink

Good to see how you progress, I bet youŽll be back with an even higher score soon...?

Scoreboard and medals are updated.
Edited by priest on 17. June 2012 20:04

Chiba3010
priest wrote:
Chiba: Well done, I hope you wonŽt use does Katana blades to take out your frustration on neither the TV or the AES systemWink

Shock Inconceivable! ...Well, I must confess there were a few times that Art of Fighting 2 and King of the Monsters 2 had me legitimately tempted. Angry

I haven't raised my hand to a console since the 8-bit generation. The NES and SMS were among the last gaming consoles that could take a pretty good punch from an angry 11-year-old and still power-up without complaint after I'd calmed down enough to resume playing.

Good to see how you progress, I bet youŽll be back with an even higher score soon...?

If Pulstar allows it, I shall persevere. Smile
Edited by Chiba3010 on 21. June 2012 07:03
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

NEO-GEO man
Pulstar INSISTS you return!! Wink

priest
...Just donŽt loose your temper with those blades within reachGrin

Gemant
Pulstar, my old replay video.