Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1545
Thread Info
There are 65 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 20170 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Data East appreciation thread
merlin
I've always been a big fan of Data East's games so I thought I'd start a thread about this wonderful game developer. They made a lot of very good games. If you look for example at their Neo Geo games they are all without exception top quality games. Here's a quick reminder of their 7 Neo titles:

Miracle Adventure (Spinmaster) 1993
Fighter's History Dynamite 1994
Dunk Dream (Street Hoop) 1994
Windjammers 1994
Ghost Lop 1996 (unreleased)
Magical Drop 2 1996
Magical Drop 3 1997

I think you'll agree they are all top quality games. Magical Drop 3 is IMO one of the best puzzle games ever made. My favourite game by Data East on the Neo has got to be Dunk Dream though. This game is pure entertainment. If you've never played it before then check it out.

Aside from their Neo Geo releases they made plenty of other great games. Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja being a favourite of mine. I can still remember playing this great game in the arcades. Two Crude Dudes, Captain Silver, Fighter's History, Suikoenbu and Night Slashers are pretty good too. There are still Data East games that I've yet to experience though. They also made pinball games.

Data East were founded in 1976 and unfortunately filed for bankruptcy in 2003. G-Mode currently own the intellectual property rights of Data East.

Here are some links:

Wiki
http://en.wikiped.../Data_East

List of Data East games
http://en.wikiped..._Data_East

G-Mode's Data East site
http://www.dataea...index.html

So who else here is also a fan of Data East and what are your favourite games?

Here's a video of Joe and Mac:

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 11. February 2009 18:03

reelmojo
I used to play Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend all the time. The trick shot mode was addicting. Figuring out how to clear each table practically made it a puzzle game. I just looked up some info on it and apparently it was just the English version of Side Pocket 2. To this day most pool games aren't as much fun as that game. If you like pool you should try it out.

Also this remix of Magical Drop III made me want to play the game.
Edited by reelmojo on 11. February 2009 18:20

Kurisu
Good call Merlin. They were a great company with a really cool name and logo. One of my all time fave games is Burgertime Deluxe on the Gameboy. An absolute Data East classic!!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Powerwave
yeah i can conform im a fan i own street hoops, magical drop 2 and fighters hisotory and love them all although i havnt played dunk dreams much yet, but magical drop 2 is my fave puzzler ever

NeoGeoNinja
HERE!

I like Data East!

My faves are: 2 Crude Dudes (wow!), Side Pocket (SNES), Bad Dudes vs DRAGON NINJA ('we' would take the bad dudes... next time, GAH!) & FHDynamite too.

AFTER a quick glance on Wiki to see what else they've done, I can also say that I have played and enjoyed:

Midnight Resistance (C64) - a contra clone really, but great fun!
C.America & The Avengers - I have this on both SNES & MD. Enjoyed them back in the day. They're pretty shocking by todays standards.
Wolf Fang (SS) I have this on the Saturn. It is a truly IMMENSE game! Well worth playing through.
Err... RoboCop on the NES is good! Can't remember if DE had a hand in it though.

DATA EAST GAMES I've played that SUCK:

Skull Fang (Saturn) - I GENUINELY cannot stay awake whilst playing this TRAVESTY. No. I'm being deadly serious. This game actually puts me to sleep! How fucked is that!! And I love shmups... even bad ones! But this... it's retarded (Merlin... this is your cue to get this game! LOL )

"PRESENTED BY DATA EEEAST"

Ninja >>>NINJA*VANISH<<<

cthulhu
They made a lot of really crappy video games, but I really like Fighter's History Dynamite. Also my Tales From the Crypt Pinball Machine is made by Data East and it's my favorite Pinball Machine ever. They also made some other great Pinball Machines (Star Wars, Tommy, Jurassic Park).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

priest
Great thread Merlin, ThanksSmile

You guys have already mentioned a lot of great DE games

I remember playing EXPRESS RAIDER a lot in my youth, It was a western themed scrolling beat´em up. You played the role as a cowboy running on top of a train and beating bad guys up.

Then there were some "shoot´em up" stages too.

Later on I got this for my Commodore 64, while being entertaining I must admit being a little disapointed with this port.

KLOV:

http://www.klov.c...me_id=7735

Marquee:

http://www.klov.c...105223.jpg

SCREENSHOTS:

www.klov.com/images/11/1181242105225.png

www.klov.com/images/11/1181242105226.png

www.klov.com/images/11/1181242105224.png

Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
THX-1138
Alot of theier games were crappy but still kinda fun, Karnov and Bad Dudes for example. But i really love Joe And Mac and Magical Drop.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

RiKo
Bump N Jump Bump N Jump BUMP N JUMP. Used to love this game so much. I remember playing it in the airport for the first time, and being desperate for a home version. ALso BUrgertime I used to play when I was very little.

Like Ninja - I really have fond memories of Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja. Probably not the best game ever but for some reason it seems quite iconic now. I also used to really want Vigilante for ages, but I never got to play it.

Merlin - I have Dunk Dream but I only had a very brief go really. Is it deeper than it first seems? that's what worried me about it - that is might be a bit simple.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Thanks for all the responses to this thread guys. It's been interesting reading what you've all got to say.

Ok I've got to admit they did produce a few bad games too. If you want to play a really bad Data East game then check out Tattoo Assasins which is an abysmal Mortal Kombat clone. To be fair they never actually released it but you can play it on Mame.

Still like I said before they did produce some really high quality titles and their Neo titles are a pretty significant part of the Neo's catalogue of games.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Skull Fang (Saturn) - I GENUINELY cannot stay awake whilst playing this TRAVESTY. No. I'm being deadly serious. This game actually puts me to sleep! How fucked is that!! And I love shmups... even bad ones! But this... it's retarded (Merlin... this is your cue to get this game! LOL )

LOL Ok that sounds like one to avoid Ninja. I watched a video of Wolf Fang and like the look of it. By the way I've been playing Suikoenbu / Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty by Data East which you recommended. I'm really enjoying it so far it's a very nice fighting game with colourful graphics and interesting characters in particular the old man who can summon a demon to fight alongside him. It's a shame they made a hash of the Saturn port. There's a nice article at hardcore gaming 101:
http://hg101.clas...koenbu.htm

priest wrote:I remember playing EXPRESS RAIDER a lot in my youth, It was a western themed scrolling beat´em up. You played the role as a cowboy running on top of a train and beating bad guys up.

Never played this before Priest but have been having a go today. I was going to just play it for a few minutes and ended up playing through the first six stages it was pretty addictive. It's nice that there is a bit of variety in the game with the horse riding sections.

RiKo wrote:Merlin - I have Dunk Dream but I only had a very brief go really. Is it deeper than it first seems? that's what worried me about it - that is might be a bit simple.

Well there are a variety of different moves you can do including special moves but I guess it is a relatively simple game. I just think that it plays really well and is one of the best sports games on the Neo Geo. The soundtrack is pretty awesome too and that adds to the general atmosphere of the game. When you spend some more time with it I'm sure it will probably grow on you RiKo.

I've been playing a variety of Data East games today and out of the ones I played Vapour Trail, Act Fancer, Cobra Command, Express Raider and Dragon Gun were all really good. Night Slashers a side scrolling beat 'em up in which you fight zombies is well worth a go too. I just wanted to add that if anyone hasn't yet played Ghostlop then I'd recommend giving it a go. It's a very good puzzle game and it's a shame it was never released.

Here's a nice article about some Data East games:
http://www.sega-1...st%20Games

A video of Vapour Trail a pretty good vertically scrolling shoot 'em up.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 12. February 2009 19:25

Raiken
I can't imagine how much I've played MD3 and Ghostlop. Some of the most addicting puzzle games I've ever played.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Ok I've got to admit they did produce a few bad games too. If you want to play a really bad Data East game then check out Tattoo Assassins which is an abysmal Mortal Kombat clone. To be fair they never actually released it but you can play it on Mame.

Mr Merlin sir... you may be pleasantly surprised to learn that Tattoo Assassins made a console appearance! It is available for the one and only 3DO! One day, regardless of the 'shite' factor, I will indeed acquire myself a copy! I've seen it before... it looks horiffic! Heh... can't wait Grin

Ninja

merlin
I never knew that Ninja. So it seems that this abomination was unleashed on the gaming public. I suppose there are games that are so bad that it might be worth getting them just for the comedy factor a bit like Kasumi Ninja. Some of the moves in Tattoo Assassins are so incredibly silly like the 'nudalities' where you can make the opponents clothing come off.

Anyway seeing as this is the Data East Appreciation thread I should point out again that they made some great games so I think we can forgive them for Tattoo Assassins.
Edited by merlin on 21. February 2009 18:07

boogiecat
Dunk Dream and Fighters History are good games so does the Magical Drop series...Too bad this company went bust a couple of years ago!!

reelmojo
Bumping this thread because...

Data East Arcade Classics is coming out for Wii for only $20! Magical Drop III is confirmed, but no word on their other Neo games.

Will
I have various favourites of Data East games.

- SNES versions of Magical Drop 1 and 2
- Magical Drop 3
- Midnight Resistance
- Sly Spy aka. Secret Agent
- Dark Seal
- Dark Seal 2 aka. Wizards of Fire
- Wolf Fang
- Bloody Wolf

I only wish the Dark Seal saga could have continued. Do you consider Sly Spy a rip off if not a fascination of 007 James Bond? I really don't mind.

merlin
Although I don't own a Wii myself that's really good news and also sounds like a bargain too. Although they don't seem to have mentioned it yet I really hope they include Ghostlop which has never been officially released for any format. I can't emphasize enough how good this game is and it would be nice if more people were able to enjoy it.
Edited by merlin on 02. October 2009 21:12

Shiny
I used to love Midnight Resistance in the arcade, with it's twizzly joysticks. Look at me Ma, I'm running forwards and shooting backwards at the same time! Ahem, it seemed kinda special at the time...

reelmojo
Yes, Ghostlop is good stuff. I have no idea why they didn't just release it. Multiplayer is really fun and it can get extremely fast paced.

NeoGeoNinja
IF THIS COMPILATION...
made it's way to PS2, then I would DEFINITELY buy it. As it stands, I don't own a Wii... but all that may change when TVC comes to Europe. So I won't cross Data Easts compilation off just yet...
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Jump to Forum: