Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 1543
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 26520 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Waku Waku 7 spriting for future sprite comic.
reelmojo
I've had an idea in my head for a long time now for a comic based on Waku Waku 7. I can't draw, but I do have a lot of experience with spriting. I've mostly worked in Final Fantasy 6 style, which is much simpler than your standard fighting game. Conveniently, the art style of WW7 is also simpler than your standard fighting game. Long story short, I want to do a sprite comic. I have a lot of sprite rips from the game already, but I'm missing a lot too so I'll be ripping a lot of stuff myself. This thread will be to show off test sprites that I'm working on (only non-spoiler stuff of course) and get hopefully feedback from you guys.

First up is a sample of the scene where Mugi meets Mauru for the first time.

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/MugimeetsMaurutest2.png
The only thing I edited was putting his arm over her, and pointing his eye at her. This scene is planned for the comic, but I mostly made this because when ripping sprites I discovered that Mugi and Mauru are actually a separate sprite. This is a Godsend because it means that I won't have to erase her off of his back every time Mauru appears without her.

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/wakuwak7007.png
erase a sprite layer and:
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/wakuwak7006.png
...awesome.

Next is something that was much more time consuming. I noticed that Natsumi (Dandy-J's daughter) seems to have almost the exact proportions as Arina. So any action sprites I need to make of her will probably be based off of Arina...

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/HurricaneKick.png
I'm thinking of making her thighs a pixel thinner maybe. Arina damn near has Chun-Li legs.

Waku Waku 7 The Comic Information
Fighting games always have great interesting characters that exist in only a shell of a story. Seeing that story fleshed out has always been an interest of mine which is why I love the SF comics by Udon. But more fighting games need comics than just Street Fighter!

WW7: The Comic (obviously not the final title) will chronicle the story of the game in a more interesting manner than the game does. True to the game it will not take itself too seriously, but I plan to flesh out what little story bits we have into something that's intriguing and fun to read.

The comic will use the character's names from the English language version and that is final! In this thread if you want to say "Maururun" or "Fernandeath" that's fine because we all obviously know who you're talking about. Just be aware that in the comic you're going to have to get used to the English names.

Also regarding character names, I don't know if some of the background characters have official names or not. If anyone who owns the art book knows this it'd be great if you could tell me what they're called. Specifically I need names for Arina's two friends, Arina's little brother, the big guy in Rai's background, Mugi's parents, the guy who hired Dandy-J to get the Waku Balls, the fairy, and the characters inside of Politank-Z (I know they're The Chief and The Mechanic but if they have other names that'd be great). Also, since most of these characters probably don't have official names I'm open to suggestions on what to call them.

As you can tell a lot of planning has went into this so far and I haven't even written the script yet. I plan to do a lot more sprite ripping and editing before I even begin to write and I plan on completely finishing a few issues (probably around five) before posting any of them online. On top of that, I'm only doing this in my spare time so don't expect this comic to come out anytime soon. Probably not even this year.

I have made a sprite comic before, and I've read many of them as well. My comic ran for quite a while and was extremely detailed for a sprite comic. I'm hoping to keep a certain level of quality for this project. Everything should look like it fits together. Backgrounds taken from games other than WW7 will need to fit the graphic style or they won't be used etc. etc...

If you've read all of this I commend you. If you could point me to a site that already has complete sprite sheets for the characters in this game, you'll win 2000 cool points.
Edited by reelmojo on 10. February 2009 21:37

RiKo
Great idea Reelmojo - I love Waku Waku , so I'd be interested in a comic about it! I have a couple of Waku Waku players guide books with some art in, and various details. I will look in them and see if I can find any names for you. They are all in Japanese so I'm not sure if they will be any help (give me a couple of days - I am not sure where the books are).

Will Slash be in your comic? I used to like playing as him Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I think this is a really original idea and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Good luck with the project. Thumbs Up

reelmojo
Thanks, merlin. Yes, Riko, Slash and every other playable character will be featured. I don't have an outline for the entire story yet but one thing I can definitely say is set in stone is that every character's story will be told. Yes, this includes Bonus-Kun and Fernandez. No, Bonus-Kun's story will not have anything to do with his appearance in Galaxy Fight.

I definitely already have the ending in mind, and I also have ideas for a sequel, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Kazuya_UK
Can't help too much but looks like a really good idea. Keep us updated reelmojo! Thumbs Up

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
reelmojo
Great to know that you're interested. The more interest I see in this the more I'll be driven to work on it. I'll definitely post updates with progress reports every once in a while. Right now I'm looking for games with backgrounds that would fit WW7's graphical style. They can't be too realistic, too old, or too recognizable. They don't necessarily have to be from fighting games either. A side scrolling beat 'em up with comparable graphics would give me a lot to work with so that'd be awesome. I'll be scouring through a bunch of roms myself, but suggestions are always welcome.

RiKo
I'm glad to hear that Powerwave will feature in this comic. Its about time he had his own comic to showcase his fighting skills Smile

I haven't forgotten about the Waku books by the way - just having trouble locating them at the moment. I have to move some stuff to get to them.

Powerwave
heyy riko am i in my own comic book story or are you yanking my chain

The eccentric cat
Powerwave wrote:
heyy riko am i in my own comic book story or are you yanking my chain

He's referring to the fact that Bonus-Kun will be in the comic, and you have a Bonus-Kun avatar.
I think this sounds like a great idea! I really wish I could help, though. :\

If you need some sprites, try here: (They're in .gif format, though. No spritesheets unfortunately)

http://emugif.fcm...column.htm

Good luck! :3
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Powerwave
ah i see that makes sense

im realy looking forward to reading this when uve finished mojo

RiKo
Sorry Powerwave Smile it would be good if you were in the comic though Smile

reelmojo
To The eccentric cat, that's actually the site I got most of my sprites from so far. Thanks though. It's a great site, my only problem with it is that they seem to overlook "taking damage" sprites a lot. In fact, the only Waku Waku 7 character they have damage sprites for is Bonus-Kun. I can't complain though, they've cut my sprite ripping work in half at least.

To Riko, it's okay that you haven't found the books yet. I'm fully expecting that none of those characters are actually named anyway, but if they are named I do want to use the correct names so that any extremely hardcore fan isn't like "WTF?"

I've only found a few backgrounds here and there from other games that are usable so far. If you anyone knows of any games I should check out for backgrounds please post them. Any ideas are welcome. When writing a sprite comic it's important to know what backgrounds you have available to you before you start writing. For example, as it is now I wouldn't write a scene that takes place in Rai and Arina's school because I don't have any "inside a school" backgrounds.

I've had a busy weekend but I plan on doing some spriting this week (probably more Mugi and/or Natsumi). I'm sure I'll post something new by the end of the week.

Again, thanks for the interest guys! If this comic appeals to anyone other than myself it would be the members of this site so I'm glad you guys are interested.

EDIT: Just a test shot of what WW7 sprites might look like with Last Blade backgrounds. This is from the intro of Last Blade 2, but I probably didn't have to tell you that.

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/lastblade2snowdemo.png
I was surprised at how well Arina blended right in and didn't look out of place at all. Making the snow appear on top of her sprite instead of behind it only took a few extra seconds too. This particular background probably won't be used for multiple reasons, but it does give me hope for finding good backgrounds.
Edited by reelmojo on 17. February 2009 19:36

Raiken
Interesting idea. I would try checking out the web site Fighters Generation. No sprite sheets but they have lots of gifs.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

reelmojo
Thanks, I checked out Fighters Generation and they don't have anything on Waku Waku 7. Cool site though.

Also, I don't know what I was thinking saying that I'd do some spriting this week when I knew SFIV was coming out on Tuesday. I did look for some more backgrounds and I'm hoping that I'll be able to use Sengoku 3. The only problem is that Kawaks can't remove the status bar so it'll take some clever editing to get what I want out of them. Still, like I said a side scrolling game's backgrounds are much more versatile than a fighting game's for scenes without fights in them.

RiKo
I like Arina on the Last Blade background - very nice! Grin

I found my art book today (one of them), I looked all through it - there is loads and loads of Japanese text, so some of the names of the characters may be in there. There is a bit where they single various background details out and there's a caption below each one - which may or may not be the name of that character. So far I have found the names of Arina's friends (although one name is partially obscured) Here is the scan. (Click to enlarge and then again with the magnifier)

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/ArinaFriendNames.jpg

The names are on the circular ring round Arina. They are from left to right Megane, Noppo and Tibi(?)

Maybe I will find more in the other art book. The little girl seems to be called Mugichan who sits on Maruran - but you probably knew that!

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck with the comic Mojo Smile
Edited by RiKo on 07. March 2009 17:58

reelmojo
Wow, that is a huge help, thank you! I really need to buy those art books. They look so cool, and I feel like I need to own them before them comic is ready to be released. Mugichan will be Mugi in the comic because that's what her parents call her in the English version of Mauru's ending. I'm going to assume that Noppo, Megane, and Tibi's names were never localized since they're never used in game, so those names will stay the same. Again, thank you!

I haven't been able to do any spriting lately, or much of anything else really. Real life has been getting in the way, along with the fact that the next thing on the list is the boring part (ripping sprites for the characters I don't have yet). Once I get a more concrete idea of what backgrounds I can use I'll play the hell out of the game to get the characters fresh in my mind and then the writing can begin! I have a very rough outline of the main story arch right now but everything is subject to change.

reelmojo
First, does anyone mind double posts if there is this much time between them? If it's a problem I won't do it again, but it seems like a better idea than editing because this way people see that there's a new post.

Anyway, the first draft of issue one is complete! Megane, Noppo, and Tibi are present right off the bat so again, thank you Riko! I can't tell if Tibi is supposed to be male or female, but I've read that he's supposed to be Arina's little brother so that's what I'm going with for now. If it turns out he's actually a female it'll only be a slight change to the script so it won't be a problem.

Now I have a better idea of the types of sprites I'll be needing so more sprite work can begin. I'm going to be needing plenty for the three characters mentioned above, as well as The Chief while he's outside of Politank-Z. I'm leaning towards having him not always wear his helmet, which will add a bit of work but shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Without giving anything away, the first issue is pretty dialog heavy. It introduces a few of the characters in a way that I feel really gives you a good feeling about who they are even if you don't already know them from playing the game. Arina is adventurous, for example, but she's still a teenage girl who spends her time talking to her friends about boys. She's definitely already a strong woman, even at 17 years old, but I'm taking special care to make sure she's still feminine and even "girly."

Also... it is my goal to make people actually like Rai. He's shamelessly infatuated with Arina and a lot of comedy will come from that, but hopefully I'll be able to make him seem more human so that people actually might root for him.

GEL
*BURSTS INTO THREAD*

SOMEONE STARTING A WAKU WAKU 7 DISCUSSION WITHOUT ME! THAT'S UN-POSTEROUS!

*ahem* Yeah, sorry, allow me to introduce myself: GEL, self proclaimed World's Biggest Waku Waku 7 Fanboy.

ANYWHO! Arina's friends or more specifically Tibi (who I think is Cibi, like Chibi without an h). Cibi is, infact, female and also a monkey. Whoever wrote that she was Arina's little brother in Wikipedia is a moron. You can tell her gender by the color of her jacket.

See, if you pay attention, Arina, Rai, all of Arina's Friends, and everyone in Rai's background all wear the same thing: The same jacket and a pair of goggles. One could thus assume that this is the Waku Waku Junior High uniform. You'll also notice that all the boys have BLUE trim on their jackets while all the girls have RED trim. As such we know Cibi is female and the same age as Arina. Probably a classmate.

These are probably nicknames. Megane means Glasses, Noppo means A Tall Person, and Cibi (Chibi) would be Small.

ANYWAY! As for Bonus-kun, I do hope you know his actual origin story ^_~ If not I can tell you, but don't be afraid to link Waku Waku 7 and Galaxy Fight as I firmly believe they take place in the same universe along with Trip World and T.R.A.G.

I mean, Felden Krys and Fernandez ARE related...

cthulhu
GEL wrote:
*BURSTS INTO THREAD*

SOMEONE STARTING A WAKU WAKU 7 DISCUSSION WITHOUT ME! THAT'S UN-POSTEROUS!

*ahem* Yeah, sorry, allow me to introduce myself: GEL, self proclaimed World's Biggest Waku Waku 7 Fanboy.

ANYWHO! Arina's friends or more specifically Tibi (who I think is Cibi, like Chibi without an h). Cibi is, infact, female and also a monkey. Whoever wrote that she was Arina's little brother in Wikipedia is a moron. You can tell her gender by the color of her jacket.

See, if you pay attention, Arina, Rai, all of Arina's Friends, and everyone in Rai's background all wear the same thing: The same jacket and a pair of goggles. One could thus assume that this is the Waku Waku Junior High uniform. You'll also notice that all the boys have BLUE trim on their jackets while all the girls have RED trim. As such we know Cibi is female and the same age as Arina. Probably a classmate.

These are probably nicknames. Megane means Glasses, Noppo means A Tall Person, and Cibi (Chibi) would be Small.

ANYWAY! As for Bonus-kun, I do hope you know his actual origin story ^_~ If not I can tell you, but don't be afraid to link Waku Waku 7 and Galaxy Fight as I firmly believe they take place in the same universe along with Trip World and T.R.A.G.

I mean, Felden Krys and Fernandez ARE related...

Welcome...Waku Waku 7 is a great game...my most favorite Neo Geo game.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
Thanks for the input/interest, Gel. I'll change Tibi to Cibi and rework a few things so that she's not related to Arina. This early in the writing process I'm well aware that everything is subject to change, so changes are not a big deal.

I did change plans a bit after reading what you wrote about Bonus-Kun so that he will be linked to Galaxy Fight. Those who don't know anything about Galaxy Fight need not worry though, it's not like other characters from the game will be showing up or anything. This is a WW7 comic after all.

I'll have to check out Trip World and TRAG, never heard of them. And I have no idea who Felden Krys is... a Google search comes up with a link to your post in this thread...

Jump to Forum: