Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 152
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10888 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
merlin
I bought this game a few months ago and I feel it is a very underrated game which doesn't seem to get discussed very often. I really love this game but all the reviews of it I can find say it is not a very good game. There is a 13 minute review on Youtube where they conclude by saying that the game is total rubbish.

Of course it is not going to appeal to everyone but I think it is one of the most underrated fighting games on the neo geo. People complain that it is too slow, well yes if you compare it to other games from 1995 like Real Bout then it is slower but if you approach this game with an open mind then it really is a lot of fun.

All the character designs are excellent especially Gowcaizer, Brider, Karin, Hellstinger, Kyosuke and my personal favourite Shaia. There are lots of cool special moves like Karin's spirit hair move where she can create a miniature version of herself to fight alongside her and also Kyosuke's ability to summon a 'spirit' animal of either a hawk, wolf or monkey to help him. It is also a great idea that if you defeat an opponent you can copy one of their moves.

The bosses Ogha and the Platonic twins are also pretty cool designs and can be quite a challenge, they love scoring very powerful combo attacks on you if they get the chance. The scene where the Platonic Twins transform into one being which is both male and female is quite funny.

The graphics are really quite impressive with some nice backgrounds like Kyosuke's abandoned church, Shaia's nightclub or Gowcaizer's background with flames leaping from the ground.

Anyway I would be really interested to read what other forum members think about this game . If anyone has not played it before then I would definitely recommend giving it a try on the emulator. The anime film of Gowcaizer is excellent also.
Edited by merlin on 04. April 2007 15:01

NEO GEO DRAGON
Its OK. Not the best fighter around. But I like the anime character designs.

fusion24
its too sticky and heave y on the controls. they should remake it faster and with more special move moves. the characters are way too many for a game in its class. i feel a roster like that is better on a faster game. Pfft
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/papikie2001/RockHoward2.gif

Will
Voltage Fighter, one my part time favourites. I especially like Karin who looks like a prostitute (if you'll pardon me for saying so), Shaia who is a fabulous polive officer and the P. Twins who look like Zoicite and Malachite from Sailor Moon (What does the P stand for). Did anybody know that the stupid character Captain Atlantis is evidently a rip off from Captain America that comes from X-men Episode 73 "Old Soldiers"? The gameplay is really hard in skill even if I set it to Level 1, the music track I like best is the title page track and the music track of the P.Twins, which reminds me of a Metal Slug Fighting game.

merlin
First off Will can I just say that you have made my day by reviving this old thread of mine. Grin Grin Grin It's great to see another fan of the game here because I get the impression not that many people seem to like the game. I absolutely adore Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer and feel that along with Savage Reign it's one of the most underrated fighting games on the Neo Geo. I accept that it could perhaps have been slightly faster in speed but that doesn't really bother me.

The character designs are all great and that surely is very important in any fighting game. These days my favourite fighter is Karin who is a lot of fun to use. One of my favourite tactics is to do the spirit hair move to create a miniature version of Karin and then repeatedly do that cloud special move against the opponent. Shaia I think is the best fighter at long range with her two projectile attacks and long reach with her ballboy robot.

When it comes to the difficulty I don't find it too bad until you get to the bosses who can be very tough to defeat at times. The Platonic Twins in particular are a nightmare unless you are playing as Shaia in which case you can hit them from long range with standing heavy punches and win easily. In general though the easiest character in single player mode is Gowcaizer because his ground fireball is very effective.

You mentioned the music Will. Well I agree it's pretty good. The Neo Geo CD version is especially impressive with vocals added to many of the tracks.

If anyone else here at NGFL has any opinions of the game (even if they hate it) I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Will
Thanks, I didn't know P stood for Platonic. If you go to www.vgmaps.com, you will see the complete stages of the game I have done.

Powerwave
ive always bin interested in this game

LIFE_IN_2D
Never heard of this fighter. It seems pretty weird and I like odd-ball games. I'll be playing this sometime soon.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
Will wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know P stood for Platonic. If you go to www.vgmaps.com, you will see the complete stages of the game I have done.

I checked out the www.vgmaps.com site and had a look at the stages you had done. They look great! Thumbs Up

Powerwave and LIFE_IN_2D I'll be interested to know what you think of the game when you have had a chance to play it.

One thing about this game that always impresses me as well is the intro sequence. One of my favourite Neo intros!

I found out recently that apart from the Gowcaizer game and anime, creator Masami Obari amongst other things also made two 3-part hentai series (Angel Blade and Angel Blade Punish) which feature Shaia and Karin from Gowcaizer. I was reading about it on Wikipedia and the plot sounds a bit strange to say the least!

I found some nice artwork last night searching on the internet:

img403.imageshack.us/img403/1378/gc012mw9.jpg

Midian
I'll be checking this game out soon. Looks cool.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Ok so yeah since my last post I have played this. Granted I have only played it for like 2 hour or so I'd like to put my two cents in. As people might have said before the game is pretty slow, but I didn't think it was THAT slow. The controls seem to be fairly tight and the sprites are decent for their age. Also the intro was probably one of the best neo-geo intros out there. I found this game enjoyable and a nice break from the norm. I'll be play more of this game soon. Ninja Thumbs Up
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

SSJ_Sonikku
For those that have played the PS1 version, how is the port?

merlin
SSJ_Sonikku wrote:
For those that have played the PS1 version, how is the port?

I'm not really the right person to answer this seeing as I've never played the PS1 port but I have heard that it is very inferior to the Neo Geo original.

http://www.gamefa...60573.html

This review for example mentions that the animation is poor and there is a big slowdown problem. Also the soundtrack is inferior to the Neo Geo cd version which has vocals in many of the tracks. I also heard that for some reason they changed the way specials are performed from the Neo Geo original. On the plus side the intro on PS1 is very nice though.

I like it when this thread gets bumped!

If anyone hasn't yet tried this game on Neo Geo then give it a go you might be surprised by how good it is.

RiKo
The PS1 is not a good console for Neo Geo ports - because it doesn't have very much onboard memory. The Saturn is normally better because it has more memory (even more with the memory cart plug-in) and better sprite-handling abilities.
I remember a review of Samurai Showdown on the PSX - where they called it 'Samurai Slowdown' I think Metal Slug X is meant to be quite good though on Playstation.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Since this thread has been temporarily revived it gives me the chance to ask a question I've always wondered about. In the faq that I got from gamefaqs it has the following:

COMING SOON!
------------
In the next revision (which wont take nearly as long as this one, I
promise!) I will have the Combo Section complete, and (if God willing) The
Boss code and their moves as well as the secret character Garustan. Look
for it!

So I always wonder if there really is a secret character. Does Garustan actually exist? I do think it's highly unlikely because I've scoured the internet and searched the neo-geo.com forums and found nothing. It wouldn't be all that surprising if there was a boss code though. If anyone comes across this thread and they know any more about this then I'd be interested to hear it.

HexElf
Just for the hell of it, here's a mini review.

Sadly I never liked this game very much at all. It kinda looks good on paper and perhaps even screenshots but really the only thing it has going for it is the character designs and the cool anime based on it, both made by my personal favorite character designer Masami Obari. The stealing of moves is a pretty cool take on the concept but I feel it didn't exactly fill the potential in a "oooh look at Honda doing that dragon punch, awesome!" kind of way.

The bad
The game itself is seriously lacking in the graphics department, particularly the in game character sprites and animation that comes nowhere near the excellence of the portraits. The worst thing about it though has to be the earsore that they call music...

Now music that really fits the fighting is pretty rare indeed but even the main offenders (titles like Capcom vs SNK2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2) usually stay above the bar of being "barely tolerable" while VFG instead crosses that border and ends up being downright painful to listen to. It gets so bad at times I actually have to remind myself that yes, this is the actual soundtrack of the game. I don't know if the AST (on the CD version, if there is one) is different but I sure hope so.

The decent
The game actually does have a pretty interesting storyline, some cool characters and the gameplay isn't so bad provided you're playing with an actual Neo Geo stick. The Mai Shiranui wannabee twins are fun (especially fighting on the stage with the large screen in the back) and the special moves overall are interesting enough to give even the shotoclone (with the appropriate name Sheng-Long) a unique feel. Oh and there's a boss at the end with the worst case of SNK syndrome this side of Igniz too, you know, the kind of boss that we all love to hate when he sucks your wallet dry of quarters.

Might as well give it a score too...

4/10
A bit below average for my tastes. Cool characters and decent fighting mechanics are spoiled by terrible music and lacking animation of the majority of moves. I've played a lot better, but know that I've seen FAR worse games as well. It's worth a try if you have a love for fighting games in general because there are a few interesting things (like testing out all stolen moves with all characters) in there.

Also look into:

Toshinden - A pretty good 3D fighting game series for the PSX and Saturn systems which also features awesome character designs and anime OVA by Masami Obari.

Double Dragon - Another 2D fighting game by the same team, based loosely on the craptacular movie (which was in turn based on the beat 'em up series) of the same name, that is actually pretty fun (if a bit simplistic) to play.

Hex out
Edited by HexElf on 22. November 2008 21:25
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
Will
HexElf wrote:
Just for the hell of it, here's a mini review.

Sadly I never liked this game very much at all. It kinda looks good on paper and perhaps even screenshots but really the only thing it has going for it is the character designs and the cool anime based on it, both made by my personal favorite character designer Masami Obari. The stealing of moves is a pretty cool take on the concept but I feel it didn't exactly fill the potential in a "oooh look at Honda doing that dragon punch, awesome!" kind of way.

The bad
The game itself is seriously lacking in the graphics department, particularly the in game character sprites and animation that comes nowhere near the excellence of the portraits. The worst thing about it though has to be the earsore that they call music...

Now music that really fits the fighting is pretty rare indeed but even the main offenders (titles like Capcom vs SNK2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2) usually stay above the bar of being "barely tolerable" while VFG instead crosses that border and ends up being downright painful to listen to. It gets so bad at times I actually have to remind myself that yes, this is the actual soundtrack of the game. I don't know if the AST (on the CD version, if there is one) is different but I sure hope so.

The decent
The game actually does have a pretty interesting storyline, some cool characters and the gameplay isn't so bad provided you're playing with an actual Neo Geo stick. The Mai Shiranui wannabee twins are fun (especially fighting on the stage with the large screen in the back) and the special moves overall are interesting enough to give even the shotoclone (with the appropriate name Sheng-Long) a unique feel. Oh and there's a boss at the end with the worst case of SNK syndrome this side of Igniz too, you know, the kind of boss that we all love to hate when he sucks your wallet dry of quarters.

I see your point in bad sprites. For example the sprite of Karin has a more angry and sizzling expression than a bouncy cheery expression the portrait has, plus the sprite seems to have pink eyes instead of brown. I couldn't say all the music was terrible. The Platonium Twins music track sounds catchy to me. Sheng-Long looks original to me, but sometimes crossing magic with mutant powers doesn't seem an appropriate theme (except for Teen Titans). I wouldn't say all the scenes and backgrounds were exciting if colourful enough, but the Vampire Rock stage, the robotics laboratory and the Platonium Twins stage. I do agree that Ohga is a terrible boss.

If we only had the capabilites to revive Voltage Fighter somehow like remake it or at least make a gallery of improved sprites, backgrounds, moves and so on. As for the secret code, it will make a nice rare piece in our collection and that secret will cease to be secret. I think the underating of that game has gone too far and the time has come to give it the chance to be better than before. I'm not aiming any opposition to those who don't like Voltage Fighter, I just wish to see it get a better reputation. I wish I could do something to help.

So you like Double Dragon HexElf. I finished playing and running through the SNES game Super Double Dragon. See you around.Wink
Edited by Will on 22. November 2008 22:08

Eggy
how slow is it? if you want to play slow, try 50hz slowdown!^^
EDIT:just saw a video of it, it's not that slow imo. but all the characters look like robots(well sort of). but it looks like fun.
Edited by Eggy on 22. November 2008 23:26
card.mygamercard.net/DE/DerWahreEGGY.png

zockerseele.de.tl
Kazuya_UK
50hz... ouch. I know that pain all too well. Thank god it's pretty much a thing of the past now!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
merlin
HexElf wrote:

The bad

The decent

Might as well give it a score too...

4/10
A bit below average for my tastes. Cool characters and decent fighting mechanics are spoiled by terrible music and lacking animation of the majority of moves. I've played a lot better, but know that I've seen FAR worse games as well. It's worth a try if you have a love for fighting games in general because there are a few interesting things (like testing out all stolen moves with all characters) in there.

I always enjoy reading your mini reviews HexElf. It's good to see you active on the forums again.

You can probably guess how I feel about this game from this thread. I would personally give it 8 out of 10. I think it's a really fun game. One of the strengths of the game is as you also recognise are the cool character designs by Masami Obari. By the way did you ever see the Gowcaizer anime HexElf? Well worth checking out I think.

I have to disagree about the graphics. I think the sprites and backgrounds look very nice and the animation is not bad at all. The large sprite of Captain Atlantis is a bit stiffly animated though. The neo-zoom feature is impressive as always.

You really don't like the music HexElf. I've heard others say the same thing but personally I like it especially for the stages of Kyosuke and Gowcaizer. The Neo CD soundtrack is a big improvement though.

The bosses can be very tough there's no doubt about that. I actually find the Platonic Twins harder to defeat than Ogha.

Will wrote:
I think the underating of that game has gone too far and the time has come to give it the chance to be better than before. I'm not aiming any opposition to those who don't like Voltage Fighter, I just wish to see it get a better reputation. I wish I could do something to help.

I completely agree with you Will. People should at least give the game a try. It's really underrated. I think people read the reviews and are put off but if they actually played it they might be surprised.

Jump to Forum: