Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 1517
Thread Info
There are 25 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5686 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Post your most memorable SNK moment
shion
Was it at an arcade when you were really young? Did you witness an awesome moment in gaming history? Or, maybe it was when you opened the box your brand new Neo-Geo came in? Perhaps you are a late entry, but were still happy when that eBay package containing a used Neo-Geo got delivered? Maybe it was being with a friend that was into Neo-Geo more than you? TerryBobMaiJoe

For me, it was more about when I hung around a friend that was on the same sports team as I. This was, oh 15 years ago. After the games, we'd all go to a local eatery that featured two neo-geo cabs (each containing 3 filled slots). I remember Magician Lord and League Bowling. To most kids who played those games, they were just games (some thought them generic, and admittedly, I did too at the time Stress ). However, there was one kid, my friend, who had an unnatural affinity toward SNK games. He was like, waaay into them. He'd talk about them passionately. I later learned he owned a Neo-Geo. We would have been better friends if only I had the fire for SNK back then as I do now! Now that I think about it, he's the only kid I grew up with who actually had a Neo-Geo. Since then, I have never met anyone as passionate (in person) about the Neo-Geo. I wonder what he's doing now...

Feel free to post a fond memory that is SNK-related!
Edited by shion on 31. January 2009 19:06

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Zakatek
I never had a neo geo console but i grew up with neo geo games. I used to play neo geo games at our local arcade. There is now a cafe where the arcade was. I sometimes walk in front of the cafe and think about my childhood and the moments that i had with my friends. I made most of my best friends there. We used to play KOF, Metal Slug, Aero Fighters, Street Hoop, Blues Journey, Shock Troopers, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. We are still good friends.

Powerwave
for me it was when i was a little boy and there was an arcade i went to in the summer in bournmouth where they had a cabinet dedicated to waku waku 7 and i would play that game all holiday and loved every second

SteveDave
When I was 5 or 6 my family and I went on vacation to some lake resort. They happened to have a few arcade games in the rec room, one of them being a 2-slot Neo Geo cab (Samurai Shodown and Robo Army).

I had to stand on a stool to see the screen, but I saw the intro of Samurai Shodown. My eyes got as round as saucers and I was hooked instantly, the rest is history Headbang
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

RiKo
Well I remember seeing when the Neo first appeared in Videogame magazines - for some reason I though Nam-1975 looked amazing and it was the game I wanted! Of course I had no chance of being able to buy a NG console (back then) so it was just a dream.

Then when I lived in Norwich in 1995ish we used to hang out in a cheap fast food place. Right next to the pool table was an MVS machine (with 5 games inc. bowling and Fatal Fury 2) and Rad Mobile. The game that most impressed me on the MVS was Art of Fighting 2 - I thought the scaling effects were amazing. I am ashamed to say I never played on it (I stopped playing games then for a few years), but I used to watch it a lot whilst playing pool - lol
This made a big impression though because I kept thinking of this machine ever since.

To be honest up until a few years ago I thought the Neo was a bit of a rubbish system - with overated games. I changed my mind when I read that Edge Neo Geo collectors special (that Kaz has kindly scanned in), where they said the Neo had the pinnacle of 2D games, and I saw games like Metal Slug, Pulstar and Waku Waku for the first time. After that I became fascinated, and set out to find out more......Grin

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
My most memorable Snk moment would have to be when I walked into an arcade and saw World Heroes for the first time. I think that was 1993. It just made a huge impression on me. The colourful graphics, the death match mode and the unusual characters like Rasputin with his expanding hands and feet really caught my imagination. It was this game that made me decide to buy a Neo Geo. Eventually when I bought World Heroes AES it was like a dream come true.
Edited by merlin on 01. February 2009 00:27

shion
Cool memories guys!

Believe it or not, one of my other memorable moments was going to Kay-Bee's Toy Store the month the Neo-Geo Pocket Color was released here. It was awesome, and I can remember it like it was yesterday. No one else seemed hyped, apparently, about the release of the NGPC, but I was! I played the heck out of that thing, even got all the puzzle pieces in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure. I'm a huge NGPC fan!

HexElf
I could probably say it was the day I was finally able to pick up my Neo Geo AES at the post office after having one as a pemanent top spot on every wish list for a decade. I had finally been able to raise the monney necessary and find a vendor that actually had Neo Geo's in stock.

It probably sounds a bit dramatic perhaps but it was in mid winter, the weather was awful and I couldn't get a ride for the miles long walk there. But I had just gotten the paperslip with my name on it and so I ended up walking it and carrying the large box back despite it giving me sore arms.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
shion
Interesting story HexElf, that must've been a sight! At least you didn't drop it. I thought they went by meters in Europe?

Atomduck
Opening my AES when it came in the mail Grin

SteveDave
Atomduck wrote:

Congrats for the AES Atom Clap

Atomduck
SteveDave wrote:
Atomduck wrote:

Congrats for the AES Atom Clap

uh... it came like 2 years ago...

reelmojo
While this is only vaguely SNK related, I'm gonna have to go with getting my copy of Waku Waku 7 for Saturn in the mail. There are many games I've discovered through emulation but that was the first one that I had played so extensively but still had to own. I practically bought my Action Replay cart just so I could import that game.

For something more directly about SNK, I'll go with getting King of Fighters '95 on Playstation. I was a big Street Fighter fan and I never thought anyone would be able to make a fighter better than Capcom since all I had to compare it to was Fatal Fury 2 (inferior Genesis version) and *gulp* Mortal Kombat. This was the game that very happily proved me wrong.

boogiepop
My first day with my MVS setup and first two titles, Metal Slug and Blazing Star. I don't think that it can be topped, even by a candy cab purchase.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Mr Vengeance
Excellent topic and some great memories! Grin

Suppose the memory that stands out for me most was when I first opened up my copy of Samurai Shodown II and SAW THE SIZE OF THE CARTRIDGE Shock I knew they were big, BUT NOT THAT BIG!!!

The other great memories are playing Fatal Fury Special, and being surprised how much fun it was on XBLA, then playing King of Fighters '94 on the Wii's Virtual Console and really 'getting it' after giving it the time required - those two games got me into SNK and I've not looked back since Grin

SteveDave
Atomduck wrote:
uh... it came like 2 years ago...

Shit my bad man, work has kept me up the past couple days so I am a little loopy.

Jak
A few:

Seeing God Rugal for the first time in KOF 98 (what an intro movie!).

The final boss in Metal Slug 3.

Pulling off Rock's Deadly Rave in Mark of the Wolves.

Just recently discovering another secret path in Metal Slug 3 (involving the underground cavern with suicide bombers and gunner planes held up with strings). I've been playing this game for almost 3-4 years, and I never knew about this part.

Guy getting eaten by Killer Whale in Metal Slug X.

The Fatalities in Samurai Shodown V Special.

Atomduck
hmm... actually, Years ago I went to a skating rink where they had a Neo-Geo MVS with World Heroes Perfect and Samurai Shodown. I had heard about the Neo-Geo, but never gave it much attention. After that night however, my interest would SPARK. And Wham I was hooked! Sure Samurai Shodown kicked my ass but I didn't care Pfft and I swear I spent like +30 dollars on the machine... and when I finally go to skate, I crashed into a fat lady... so I didn't skate after wards... I played the MVS instead Grin

and afterwards, I would go on Ebay everyday for auctions... getting my AES off Ebay was one of my favorite moments as a gamer... You should've seen me during the auction... I was a nervous wreck, constantly pressing F5 (refresh) I couldn't even sit down during the auction... wow, this thread is like Chicken Noodle Soup for the Gamer Soul...
Edited by Atomduck on 02. February 2009 22:40

SteveDave
Atomduck wrote:Chicken Noodle Soup for the Gamer Soul...

You should copyright that before I do Grin

RiKo
lol Smile

Its good to see World Heroes getting a few mentions. I am (still) sorting through my old magazines, and Retro Gamer has on of the World Heores games in its top 25 fighters ever. Last Blade is in there too and MOTW.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: