Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1477
Thread Info
There are 124 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 43577 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Obscure 2D arcade fighting games
reelmojo
I just found this PC only fighter called Monster.

YouTube Video

It seems pretty interesting, but I can't figure out how to run it. All info I've found on it has been in Japanese and when I start the game up it shows a splash screen and then some corrupted image with some music. Pressing any button makes the music stop and nothing else happens. :(

boogiecat
Fighting Layer by Arika,i know its a 3D game but its great...

Pretty Fighter X and Makeruna Makendo on the Super Famicom!
Edited by boogiecat on 22. March 2009 23:05

NeoGeoNinja
NEVER PLAYED... Fighting Layer I'm afraid, but to me, it looks a lot like the SFEX games. If it plays anything like the ORIGINAL SFEX+a on the PS1, then I'd probably enjoy it. Shames SFEX2&3 really suck!

As for Pretty Fighter X... I have it on the Saturn... and it's absolutely disgusting! Total garbage I'm afraid (Total Garbage; not to be confused with TOOOTAAAAL CAAAARNAAAGE!! Ahem... cheers)

Ninja

merlin
I just wanted to briefly bump this thread to say that I've just uploaded an FAQ for Konami's 1995 game Dragoon Might onto Gamefaqs. I got frustrated that I couldn't find one anywhere so made one myself. I can't emphasize enough just how good Dragoon Might is. Excellent graphics, interesting characters, a great boss encounter with the evil Dogma and some original ideas too like 'hang points' which are parts of the scenery like tree branches for example that you can swing from to dodge the opponent's attack.

Here's the FAQ. It's my first attempt at something like this so it might not be perfect but I tried my best.

http://www.gamefa...7002/56425

I've also been playing The Killing Blade, Rabbit, Tao Taido, Burning Rival, Blandia and Superior Soldiers. The Killing Blade (1998) is by IGS who made Martial Masters and is really impressive. Touki Denshou - Angel Eyes is a game I'm interested in too but can't figure out how to emulate it properly.

There's a nice thread at ShoRyuKen about these obscure games too:

http://forums.sho...p?t=110591

Here's a new combo video for Dragoon Might: (from Plexo who gave me helpful advice when I was writing the FAQ)

YouTube Video

reelmojo
Wow, I thought you just started working on that FAQ and it's already done! I definitely plan on utilizing it soon so that hopefully I can still be competitive next time we play Dragoon Might against each other. To be honest I didn't think too highly of the game until you suggested we play it on Kaillera the first time. I loved it after that. Don't know why I didn't before.

A few of the games you listed are games I haven't tried yet. I do like The Killing Blade, although I can't find any FAQs for it so there are some really simple things that I can't figure out how to do yet. For example, it seems to be a tag team game but no matter what combination of buttons I press I can't seem to tag in my second character. Rabbit is pretty fun but the lack of sound in the emulation is bothersome. I'm thinking about just picking up the Saturn version if I can find it cheap enough. Burning Rival I didn't like at all. The others you mentioned I haven't played but I'll definitely try them out. I'll let you know if I get Touki Denshou - Angel Eyes working.

EDIT: It works perfectly on the newest version of MAME. Unfortunately that means no online play though. Pretty crazy game, not sure if I like it or not just yet but it's definitely interesting.
Edited by reelmojo on 30. April 2009 12:24

RiKo
Dragoon Might looks great Merlin. Never heard of it before you mentioned it!. FAQ looks great too - you are a true master - now you have written a FAQ! Thumbs Up

Where do you find all these old games?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Umm never heard of that one but it looks good i wouldn't mind trying to track it down on emu sometime

merlin
Now that you know all the moves Reelmojo you'll probably kick my ass next time we play! I've been trying to find opponents on kaillera but it's really difficult. Out of around 9 hours I spent over the course of three nights recently with a game of Dragoon Might set up I only got to play a total of 50 minutes against anyone! :(

For games that don't have an FAQ I'm planning to make some very simple move lists and put them on Gamefaqs. I might well do this for The Killing Blade. Hopefully someone will make a proper FAQ for it one day. One thing I find useful if I want to find move lists/info is to copy and paste the Japanese title of the game into a google search. You usually find loads of info that way.

I like the look of that Monster game you mentioned earlier Reelmojo. Did you ever get that running? There must be tons of PC only fighting games to be discovered.

Rabbit doesn't work too well with Mame unfortunately so the Saturn would be the best option like you say. I like the wacky character designs and the graphics are VERY impressive.

Thanks RiKo. I'm glad you thought the FAQ was ok. So many other people have put a lot of work into making FAQs that I've used so I thought it was time to contribute something myself. To answer your question I find out about these games by looking at a list of fighting games on wikipedia, other threads similar to this one and also this site where you can search by genre: http://www.mamedb...

Touki Denshou - Angel Eyes (Tecmo 1996)
I managed to get this working ok and am quite enjoying it so far. One thing that's very unusual is that the stages don't have ends to them exactly like in Galaxy Fight. Out of the characters Marie in particular is very amusing. She fights with her teddy bear called King. King can do all manner of attacks like lick or scratch you and has extending limbs too! Also he has boosters to enable Marie to climb very high in the air! This game was released on PSX too.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 30. April 2009 19:08

The eccentric cat
Ok, looking at this thread... Daraku Tenshi actually looks pretty cool! ^^

Also, I've always wanted to try Astra Superstars...
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

reelmojo
Daraku Tenshi is amazing. If you play one game because of this thread...

...I'm repeating myself aren't I?

Still wish I could play Chaos Breaker. I even looked into how much a Taito Type X board would cost. So... maybe in like 2 years I'll play it. Ha, by then it'll probably be emulated.

reelmojo
I just wanted to let anyone who might be interested know that Friday nights are now Daraku Night. Some of the guys from the Daraku Tenshi forum are planning on meeting on Kaillera for a little online play. I figured I'd post here in case anyone has been trying the game and might be interested. Info for tonight:

Emulator: MAME++ 0.119
Server: Emularena Grounds - {Unit X} - New York
Time: 9PM EST

There's already four of us definitely planning on playing tonight including myself and Merlin, but the more the merrier.

merlin
I'm really looking forward to it. If anyone else from NGFL wanted to join us then that would be awesome! Daraku night is going to be a regular thing from now on so if you can't make tonight you can always join one of our sessions in the future.

reelmojo
Ring of Destruction - Slam Masters II
YouTube Video

Maybe this one isn't too obscure, but I had no idea it existed. The format has been changed from the original Slam Masters so that it plays more like a standard 2D fighter. In fact, it feels pretty much like the first version of Street Fighter II. All of the characters from Saturday Night Slam Masters returned (including Haggar), plus four more for a total of 14. I'm actually kinda surprised that none of these characters have shown up in a Vs. game yet. So far I've spotted both Zangief and E. Honda in the backgrounds too. Oh, and maybe this is obvious but it was never ported to any console.

Watch what Haggar does at about 1:55 in that video. Awesomeness.

STE C
Got to play Dragon Might today i dident realize i had it already on an old xbox mame disc. Unfortunately the xbox or my version of mame runs it at snail pace which is a shame is it looks very good, same with Asura Blade thats on there too but cant play it properly they both look fantastic games its a shame they havent came out on some compilation or retro disc for PS2 as i would defo buy it, in fact i would buy either as a standalone game . I dont suppose any of these games came out for Saturn or PS1 did they I cant seem to find any evidence of this

merlin
I have the first Slam Masters game for my Snes which is a very good port of the arcade version but I've never actually got around to trying out the sequel. From watching that video it does look very good so I'll definitely be checking it out. If I remember correctly I think you can play this at 2DF.

STE C I'm really pleased you tried out Dragoon Might and seem to like the game. If it's running really slowly on your Xbox then I'd recommend trying it on Mame on your PC instead because it runs perfectly on that. Unfortunately neither Dragoon Might nor Asura Blade were ever released on any home console which is a real shame because games this good really deserved a home release. I would also highly recommend that you give Daraku Tenshi a try too because it's one of the best games mentioned in this thread.

One of my favourite games in this thread is The Killing Blade by IGS. It's sort of a bit like Samurai Shodown and has quite a dark atmosphere. I've been trying to play this online but no one else seems to be interested in playing the game.

Bart-Man
hmmm...i would say..Eternal Champions

1983parrothead
Several people in Japan (like the one who created this website about what he/she considers lesser-known, but good fighting games) know more about fighting games than most people in North America and elsewhere do, especially those who are like the author of this webpage. The games in the first link from left to right are:

FIRST ROW

Galactic Warriors (KONAMI) - This had a lot of revolutionary stuff added to it, which was criminally overlooked. The info about its innovations are located here:

http://hg101.kont...ghters.htm

Ta•o Taido (VIDEO SYSTEM) - Video System's only attempt in the fighting game genre. It has not one, but two ways of performing special moves. Some people dislike it, because it's different from most other fighting games, but the old saying "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" made them decide to make it different. In one mode, players can perform moves using the typical button combos. In the other mode, players can do them the simpler way: charging using both attack buttons, then move the joystick either up, down, left or right.

Godzilla (BANPRESTO) - merlin said on the next page:

I came across another game recently. I don't know if this would be classed as a fighter because although I think it has a 2 player vs battle mode it does seem to have scrolling sections too. It's Godzilla by Banpresto from 1993. So far it's unemulated by Mame.

Screenshots:

http://www.gameng...

SECOND ROW

Battle K-Road (PSIKYO) - Psikyo's first modern-fighting game. It reminds me of the Genesis/Mega Drive and the Game Gear Virtua Fighter games, but only tougher. When you get hit a certain amount of times, you fall down, then the battle will start all over with your health lowered. The round ends when either player's health is completely lowered.

Blandia (ALLUMER) - Sequel to Taito's Gladiator, also developed by Allumer without being credited. Perhaps the earliest weapon-based fighting game after Street Fighter II. One interesting thing about this is when anyone becomes weaker, their armor falls off. See also The Relationship between Visco, Seta and Allumer.

Schmeiser Robo ( HOT-B ) - One of the few arcade games and the only fighting game created by Hot-B. Hot-B is best known for its bass fishing games. I asked a friend of mine at Know Your Meme, mona_jpn to summarize the article about it, and here is his summary of it:

Schmeiser Robo is a giant mech fighting game developed and published by HOT・B and released in arcades in 1992.

This game uses 8-way joystick and 3 buttons (Punch, Kick, Guard). Every character can do moving and attacking in spite of pushing the guard button repeatedly. However, they can’t guard their opponent's attacks by using this.

Other moves are quick jump, counter attack and rush-attacking. When the basic punch or kick hits while standing, tap same key separately and rhythmically, and rush-attacking can be done.

Damage balance setting is extreme.

Demo movies are only seen in the Japanese version.

Others are each characters’ explanations and walkthroughs.

THIRD ROW

Kaiser Knuckle/Global Champion (TAITO) - See Wikipedia article. This fighting game worked really hard, they even aired its television commercial.

Perfect Soldiers/Superior Soldiers (IREM) - The only fighting game by Irem. The SNES game Street Combat doesn't count, because it's just a localized version of a game not created by Irem. The only interesting facts I know of about this fighting game are that its plot takes place in the R-TYPE universe and the graphic designers of this also did the graphics of SNK's KOF and Metal Slug franchises. The only thing mona_jpn said in his summary of its article is this:

“You can complete this game “perfect” with only continuing throwing".

Then, there are walkthroughs for every character by performing the "only one pattern throwing".

Dragoon Might (KONAMI) - See Wikipedia article. And no, the zooming feature actually first appeared in Art of Fighting 1, not Samurai Shodown 1 (I had to mention this, because someone said it in the previous pages of this thread).

FOURTH ROW

Gouketsuji Gaiden: Saikyou Densetsu / Gogetsuji Legends (ATLUS) - I've never played any game in the Power Instinct series.

Tokidenshou Angel Eyes (TECMO) - Tecmo's only 2D sprite-based fighting game. Merlin told me that this is still being used in Japanese fighting game tournaments. Before this and Arcana Heart had "all-female" rosters, there was the Asuka 120% series that started on the FM Towns and Sharp X68000 home computers, and earliest of all, the Variable Geo series.

This video below shows the very first Variable Geo game released for the PC-9800:

http://www.youtub...ftzaltwu3o

And this video below shows the Sharp X68000 version of Asuka 120%:

http://www.youtub...KKwfBsy4mw

DinoRex (TAITO) - Before Primal Rage had dinosaurs, there was DinoRex. Here is mona_jpn's summary of its article:

Dinorex is a fighting game developed , published by TAITO and released in arcades in 1992.

This game’s worldview is based on Acámbaro figures.
http://en.wikiped...ro_figures

So human beings and dinosaurs are coexisting in this game.

This game was planned to be exported to overseas. Therefore, its atomosphere is like other American games. However, it wasn’t exported to any other countries at all.

This game uses 8-way joystick and 2 buttons. Button A is Punch(bite) and button B is Kick (tail attack). Moving joystick downward is crouch and guard. Upward isn’t jumping but it charges the power meter. Quickly moving the joystick Down then Up is jumping.

Every characters have 2 or 3 special moves and a special throwing. these commands are same in each characters.

When power meter is full, players are able to use the special moves (nicknamed “Power Bomber” moves) by pressing A+B buttons simultaneously.

And this game is probably the first fighting game to feature some kind of “down attack”.

Others are each characters’ explanation and walkthrough using Pachycephalosaurus.

FIFTH ROW

Burning Rival (SEGA) - This was Sega-AM2's first fighting game shortly before Virtua Fighter. Unlike Virtua Fighter however, Yu Suzuki wasn't involved in Burning Rival's development. It was way ahead of most other fighting games in graphics, but I guess nothing else, except for it's funny humor.

Dark Edge (SEGA) - A year before Virtua Fighter, there was another 3D fighting game Sega created, but it was sprite-based, instead of polygon-based. There are many directions you can attack from in this game.

Dan-Ku-Ga (TAITO) - See Kaiser Knuckle / Global Champion.

SIXTH ROW

Elan Doree - Legend of Dragoon (SAI-MATE) - A 3D fighting game about fighting while being mounted on creatures, like paladins, cavaliers and social knights.

Asura Blade: Sword of Destiny (FUUKI) - I've seen some gameplay videos of it while I've heard that it is very good, which I probably have to agree, although I've never played this.

Big Fight: Big Trouble in the Atlantic Ocean (TATSUMI) - Tatsumi is best known for some arcade racing games like TX-1 (the first multi-screen arcade game) and Buggy Boy ( released outside of Japan by Data East as "Speed Buggy" ). Although Big Fight is a beat 'em up, it also has an interesting fighting game-style VS. mode. The MAME ROM needs some work on the weapons and item's picked up throughout the game.

SEVENTH ROW

Golden Axe: The Duel (SEGA) - Before the MVC series had some screen-filling super attacks, this Golden Axe spin-off had some. I've only seen gameplay videos of it.

Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels (PSIKYO) - I don't have much to say about this, because I'm sure some of you (especially merlin) know about this the most. I'm still playing it.

Wang Jung Wang/Fight Fever (VICCOM) - See this topic.

EIGHTH ROW

Neo-Geo Double Dragon (TECHNOS JAPAN) - Like Street Fighter: The Movie arcade and console games, this Neo-Geo game was also based on a video game-based film that many dislike. However, unlike SFTM video games, which were hated by many, the Neo-Geo Double Dragon got more positive reviews and comments.

Heaven's Gate (ATLUS) - Released in 1996, it is Atlus' first attempt in the 3D fighting game phenomenon. It was also developed by Racoym, the same developer of Atlus' Snowboard Kids series. After each round, it replays not once, but thrice. This game also has some nice backgrounds. Unlike other 3D fighting games at the time, this one has walls and even a ceiling. Here is a good gameplay video of it on Nico Nico Douga that shows the player playing as the game's protagonist, Jin:

http://www.nicovi.../sm2085352

Karate Chakun Yaraku Shanku: The Karate Tournament (MITCHELL) - A well-developed modern fighting game based on the 1984 Karate Champ design by Data East. Mitchell is best known for Puzz Loop, Super Buster Bros. and Magnetica. I heard that Mitchell is also full of former Capcom staff.

NINTH ROW

Mobile Suit Gundam: EX Revue (BANPRESTO) - Banpresto, a division of Bandai, only published this. The developer is Allumer (see Blandia). I'm not interested in the Gundam series.

Avengers in Galactic Storm - Now I have two questions, NeoGeoNinja and merlin: Are you two sure Avengers in Galactic Storm is bad? I'll have to check it out and see if it really is, but I'm not sure, because that leads me to my second question: Before 1996, were their any other fighting games with "helpers" or "strikers"? If not, then this is the first fighting game to have them.

Groove on Fight / Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3: Groove on Fight - The least odd game in the Power Instinct series. Like the other Power Instinct game I mentioned in this post, I've never played this.

TENTH ROW

Survival Arts (SAMMY) - This and Konami's Martial Champion have three things in common: high-jumps, weapons you can pick up, and they are 1993 arcade fighters inspired by the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat franchises. I hear a lot of people saying that this is an awful Mortal Kombat rip-off. Well, I recently just got done playing this one night, and it's not so bad. It's more of a MK/SF hybrid, like SF being a Karate Champ/Yie Ar Kung-Fu hybrid. The death moves are very easy to pull off, the combos and special moves are smooth and easy to perform, and unlike other fighting games at the time, players can pick up weapons (from swords to guns) whenever they want (excluding boss battles), which was later popularized in Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. series. Although there were weapons players can pick up in Martial Champion, they can only be picked up after forcing the holders to drop them. In Survival Arts, weapons are dropped at the beginning of each round and can be picked up whenever they are needed.

The Kung-Fu Master: Jackie Chan/Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu (KANEKO) - See Wikipedia article.

Rabbit (ELECTRONIC ARTS / EA) - EA only published this, while AORN developed it. I hear many people compare this to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (either the manga/anime or Capcom's PS1 fighter), but like Technos Japan's Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, players can capture their opponent's monster for use against their other opponents in 1P mode. Unlike Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Rabbit isn't a licensed game. The arcade version hasn't been fully emulated yet, but the Sega Saturn version seem's a little weaker in graphics. Now I have one question: who owns the rights to it?

ELEVENTH ROW

Knuckle Heads (NAMCO) - This was released shortly before the first Samurai Shodown. Knuckle Heads also allows up to four-players to play simultaneously. Although the roster is six (instead of eight or more like the Street Fighter series), after you beat the other five characters, you will face them again in duos. This is available for the Virtual Console, but only in Japan.

Asura Buster: Eternal Warriors (FUUKI) - Sequel to Asura Blade. See Asura Blade.

Operation Ragnagard (SAURUS) - I haven't got to play this, yet. I also don't have much to say about it.

This next one I am going to mention isn't an arcade game, but let's not even forget about it. It's Nintendo's very first attempt in the modern-fighting game phenomenon after the success of Capcom's Street Fighter II, which was their 1993 Famicom game:

JOY MECH FIGHT

Before Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors and Tokidenshou Angel Eyes both had stages with no corners, Joy Mech Fight had them.

If you ever wonder why the characters are limbless, then that's because they were made that way to make the game more efficient than any other NES fighting game. Therefore, it allowed the game to run a lot smoother than even fighting games on most superior consoles, and have up to 36 characters, which had the largest roster until the release of KOF98, but it's still one of the largest rosters.

The game also features a practice mode where you can practice before each fight. The moves are quite easy to learn and perform. If you forgot how to perform them, just go to practice mode and select a move you want to learn to perform.

Here is a review of the game by JewWario:

http://www.youtub...RweXbTGJkM

I've just encountered an obscure fighting game while I was typing this large post and the "Viccom / Fight Fever" topic. Anyone ever heard of Dragon Master (by Unico)? I first saw it on Nico Nico Douga, but here is a video of it on YouTube:

http://www.youtub...ZX36tM_lhs
Edited by 1983parrothead on 29. June 2010 08:57

shion
Good stuff dude. Smile
Edited by shion on 02. May 2010 07:41

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
merlin
Wow that's a hell of a lot of info there Parrothead. Thanks for your contribution to this thread. That first site you linked to has a lot of useful info I agree. Well worth checking out.

I think you've mentioned a few games which are new to this thread like for example Schmeiser Robo and Blandia. I really like Blandia. It's not amazing or anything but has a certain charm to it and I like the way parts of the characters armour fall of during the fight.

Yes that's right they had a Touki Denshou tournament at an arcade in Tokyo. I really enjoy this all girl fighter by Tecmo despite there being some issues with the gameplay like a large number of infinites.

Avengers in Galactic Storm - Now I have two questions, NeoGeoNinja and merlin: Are you two sure Avengers in Galactic Storm is bad? I'll have to check it out and see if it really is, but I'm not sure, because that leads me to my second question: Before 1996, were their any other fighting games with "helpers" or "strikers"? If not, then this is the first fighting game to have them.

I think you might be right actually. I think it could well be the first game to feature strikers. Another interesting feature in this game is the 2 player vs cpu mode. Overall though I still think it's not a particularly good fighter. It's not terrible though and maybe you'll enjoy it more than me parrothead.

Since this thread has been bumped I just wanted to mention Psikyo's Daraku Tenshi again. I'm sure most people who enjoy SNK fighters would love this game it's really a top quality fighter with interesting character designs, very smoothly animated sprites and really fun gameplay. One interesting thing about the game is that the characters have alternate stances which when used actually change their normal punches and kicks. Also unusual is that there are very few projectile attacks with only two of the regular characters and one of the bosses having projectiles.

I take part in a weekly event every Friday evening which started about a year ago called Daraku Night (on the West Wonderland server). There's been a real increase of interest in this game of late with a lot more people giving it a go. Anyone here who is interested would be very welcome too.

Interestingly at an arcade in Tachikawa, Tokyo called 'Oslo' they've recently started playing Daraku regularly. They've been uploading their matches onto the Japanese video site Nico Nico Douga and their play is of a pretty high level.

Here are some matches from a recent Daraku Night between Hall665 (player 1) and Orygami (player 2).

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 07. May 2010 13:01

LIFE_IN_2D
Daraku Tenshi looks pretty good, how do I go about giving this game a go? Is it on MAME?
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 07. May 2010 14:45
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: