Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 1477
Thread Info
There are 124 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 43623 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Obscure 2D arcade fighting games
neros

I've come to the conclusion that of all the games mentioned in this thread Konami's Dragoon Might is my favourite.

Oh! I have been looking at this game for a very long time. I must buy it very soon. My only concern is how I'm going to make a kick harness for this PCB?
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
cqmorrell
Dragon Master is the absolute worst fighting game I've personally played. The wanna-be-Dragon Ball Z character designs, the absolutely atrocious gameplay, the art, the sound and music ... god.

http://cqmorrell.deviantart.com
1983parrothead
cqmorrell wrote:

Dragon Master is the absolute worst fighting game I've personally played. The wanna-be-Dragon Ball Z character designs, the absolutely atrocious gameplay, the art, the sound and music ... god.

It's far from worst fighting game in existence. Super Fighter looks so dirty, they reused SFII's voice samples. SunA's Best of Best reuses sprites not only from SFII but some early Neo-Geo fighting games and certain popular photos.

Perhaps the worst you can get in someone's opinion is either a pre-SFII fighting game or the 3DO game Shadow: War of Succession.

cqmorrell
1983parrothead wrote:

cqmorrell wrote:

It's far from worst fighting game in existence. Super Fighter looks so dirty, they reused SFII's voice samples. SunA's Best of Best reuses sprites not only from SFII but some early Neo-Geo fighting games and certain popular photos.

Perhaps the worst you can get in someone's opinion is either a pre-SFII fighting game or the 3DO game Shadow: War of Succession.

*looks them up on Youtube*
I stand corrected, these are even worse. ;_;

http://cqmorrell.deviantart.com
neros
My favourite fighting game of all time is Jackie Chan: In Fist of Fire. I recently purchased the PCB. It took me very long time to find, but now I have it...!

There is no dought in my mind that this is the best obscure fighting game ever. I'm not joking about this! It was made in 95' and was very much ahead of it's time. Supers, Juggling, Cancels and so much going on I just can't describe how good this game really is. If you haven't really tried it jet you are missing out.

Tip:
You can buy the Kung Fu Master PCB and upgrade it to Fists of Fire Grin A friend of mine did this, and it is so AWESOME!
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
merlin
Neros I'm sure someone at Arcade Otaku would be able to give advice about a kick harness for Dragoon Might. Congrats on getting Fists of Fire. That game does seem to have quite a few fans. It has quite a following at SRK I seem to remember. Despite the gameplay depth the game doesn't appeal to me because I don't like digitized graphics in fighting games.

http://forums.sho...re-is-gdlk

I can think of quite a few fighting games which are, in my opinion, worse than Dragon Master e.g. Dino Rex, Fight Fever, Tao Taido, Tattoo Assassins. Time Killers etc.

cthulhu
neros wrote:
Oh! I have been looking at this game for a very long time. I must buy it very soon. My only concern is how I'm going to make a kick harness for this PCB?

Making a kick harness isn't all that difficult to be honest. I've made some myself and I've modded some so that they could be connected to the auxilliary button harness of my New Astro City. All you need is the pinout (which is readily available at Arcade Otaku: http://wiki.arcad...ami_Wiring) and the supplies: 15 pin JST NH connector, 8 contacts for female JST NH connector, 8 wires and a means for connecting your buttons (depends on if you're using a cab or Supergun, in my case I use a AMP UP Male connector and 8 Female contacts for male AMP UP connectors). The only thing I still haven't got is a crimping tool to close parts where the wires go into the contacts...I used a small tipped plier, but that does not give a fit as tight as with a crimping tool.
In about a month I'm going to buy Dragoon Might (if it's still available of course) and make a harness...if you want I can make a tutorial with pictures. Or even if you want I can make you one while I'm making mine.
Edited by cthulhu on 11. August 2014 09:09
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

neros

In about a month I'm going to buy Dragoon Might (if it's still available of course) and make a harness...if you want I can make a tutorial with pictures. Or even if you want I can make you one while I'm making mine.

Wow that sounds awesome if you could make me a kick harness for Dragoon Might, but don't rush it I'm not in a hurry Smile

Merlin Fists of Fire have the greatest digitised graphics I've ever seen in a fighter. You really shouldn't miss out on this game it's a shame if you do IMO. BTW the graphics here even if they look good and crazy insane at the same time are really not the showcase anyway. It's the freaking fast gameplay that hits you so hard. It's so competitive. Still can't believe this was made in 95 !!? Real EVO stuff Headbang 2
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
merlin
I did play Jackie Chan online a few times because a friend of mine is a fan of the game but it really doesn't appeal to me at all because I dislike the graphical style and also some of the characters. Good to hear that you're getting a lot of enjoyment from the game Neros. I'm sure it would appeal to quite a few people.

Good to see there is plenty of enthusiasm for Dragoon Might here. It was finding a youtube video of that game which made me start this thread in the first place.

Although Dragoon Might was a big improvement over it I think Konami's earlier fighting game Martial Champion is still quite a good game. The backgrounds and large sprites are colourful and look nice. I particularly enjoy using the Chinese vampire character Chaos. Being able to disarm opponents and use their weapons against them was a good idea.

neros

Although Dragoon Might was a big improvement over it I think Konami's earlier fighting game Martial Champion is still quite a good game. The backgrounds and large sprites are colourful and look nice. I particularly enjoy using the Chinese vampire character Chaos. Being able to disarm opponents and use their weapons against them was a good idea.

Sounds great with Dragoon Might. I guess it's a must have for people like us Thumbs Up

I've tried Martial Champion a few times but I just can't get the feel of it. I'm not a big fan of life-bars showing in the bottom of the screen. But the sprites look good.
My youtube channel:

www.ipaint.dk
Plexo
Thare are so many good games you've been talking about, i'll try to add something new to the thread. An old DOS game that i like: Sango Fighter 2.

YouTube Video

A fighter inspired in Romance of the Three Kingdoms history. You can play as Lu Bu, Ma Chao, and those famous guys. I've enjoyed myself this game so much, that i've been able to do some combos and even infinites! I really like the idea of the story mode, where you have to conquer all China, but instead of diplomatics behaviours and wars on a board game, you have to do this with your bare fists. It's like playing an old Koei game mixed with a fighting game.

Of course, if this is "2", there had to be a first one. The first one is not very good and has bad controls. But if you play the game on a Super A'can (a taiwanese console), i donesn't look that bad.

YouTube Video

Sango 1 and 2 can be downloaded freely from the Superfighter Team web site, the guys who brought to the West both games, and some others like Superfighters mentioned by Parrothead.
Edited by priest on 23. August 2014 23:33

priest
Plexo: I edited your links to the YT clips slightly, hope you donīt mind? Wink
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
merlin
Good to see you posting in this thread too Plexo. It was your Dragoon Might videos which got me interested in this subject. I think I played the first Sango Fighter game a long time ago but didn't realize there was a sequel. The graphics look nice. I think one of our members LIFE_IN_2D is a big fan of Sango Fighter.

I expect it would be possible to play the Super A'can version online using Mamehub since the game is now emulated by MESS.

kakutou-meijin
That sango fighter looks quite interesting. I have to check it out Smile
Edited by kakutou-meijin on 26. August 2014 00:12

cthulhu
Didn't the Super Fighter Team release a version of Sango Fighter?
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Plexo
priest wrote:

Plexo: I edited your links to the YT clips slightly, hope you donīt mind? Wink

On the contrary priest, thank you very much.

I totally forgot about Mamehub. Yes, could be great if we can play Sango online.

Cthulhu, yes. They released both Sango Fighters for free on their website. They say that both are improved version over the old ones, but i can't find too much and i can't remember well how the old version worked. I can say that the superfighter team files are heavier, the animations look more fluid (that could be just a preset in dosbox though), probably better cutscenes in endings... i don't know. Super Fighter (the game) is also an improvement, they translated all sounds and animations to the mugen engine, they added supers to every character and is more playable now... still a bad game.

Pretty good game Sango Fighter is, i hope you like it Kakutou-meijin. I'd say this is one of the best MS-DOS games out there, may be along with One Must Fall and Though Guy....

I can see you were discussing what were the worst obsucre fighter of all time, and i'd say that the DOS system had some pretty good candidates. Some pre-beta games like Sento Fighter, Champions of Zulula. But also Prey for Death, korean games like Cheonha Mujeok or The Hero, Catfigfht, Bikini karate Babes among others.

In terms of obscurity, i'd say that the obscurest games are in a system not intended for fighting game design, which is the older Macintosh. I had and played this digitized game, called "The untouchables". It was originally a Mac game in 1998, and it was released to PC after the reach of XXth century. It is not a good game at all, but the intro rocks:
YouTube Video

There were also a pair of homebrew fighters that i know from the old Mac: "Elfin Clash" and "Dragon Clash". No videos i can found from them on the web.

DarakuTenshi
That reminds me of this game:
YouTube Video

Plexo
That's because it was also made by Creative Edge Studios.

reelmojo
Yesterday I bumped into a pretty obscure 2D "fighter" that happened to be sitting in the arcade section of a miniature golf course. I was instantly interested because it's by IGS (the company that made the PGM and fighters like Martial Masters and The Killing Blade).

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/20140920_194905_zps9cf6fb53.jpg

The game is question is called Fearless Pinocchio, and I apologize if I got your hopes up by mentioning Martial Masters and The Killing Blade because this is nothing like those games. It's a one player only affair with only one attack button. You play as Pinocchio who has to fight various children's fantasy mainstays like the Big Bad Wolf and the Queen of Hearts to save your father. After defeating a few of them there's a small scene where you rescue your father and the machine spits out some tickets based on your performance. That's right, this is technically a ticket machine! The combat is incredibly basic but quite responsive and the graphics are brightly colored and well animated. It's a shame more time wasn't put into the idea because a fantasy fighter with nursery rhyme and storybook characters like this could be pretty great. Still, it's an interesting curiosity and any IGS fan should probably check it out if they happen to find a machine.

The game to the left of it in the picture is also a Pinocchio game by IGS. It's basically Rock/Paper/Scissors that you play for tickets which makes me wish it was Alex Kidd themed instead of Pinocchio.

merlin
Interesting find Reelmojo. I hadn't heard of that one before. Visuals looks pretty good. It's a pity it's only a very simple game. I found a few videos on youtube.

YouTube Video

Jump to Forum: