Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kurisu
Thread ID: 1474
Thread Info
There are 148 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 35062 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Shoot-em-up thread
WERY
I know one can buy discs to newer systems with old games but as I am a collector of retrogames and also arcades, it would be nice to know. I suppose I can look around for it at ebay or something
The Duce

NeoGeoNinja
WERY wrote:
I know one can buy discs to newer systems with old games but as I am a collector of retrogames...

NOW WORRIES...
but you do know the PS2 is now OVER 10 years old? Kinda borders on being retro now imo Pfft

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
...I feel old now.

Also, are there any other shmups that allow you to shoot in both directions like Death Smiles? I am so in love with this game!
Edited by reelmojo on 20. April 2011 03:51

reelmojo
Every time I go to download a MAME rom I also download a random rom based solely on it's name. The results can sometimes be disastrous, but occasionally I turn up an obscure gem. The game I was lucky enough to find this time was Brave Blade.

www.arcadeshock.com/images/l_braveblade.jpgscstore.easystorecreator.com/images/images_126/l_bravebladeb.jpgscstore.easystorecreator.com/images/images_126/l_bravebladec.jpg

I'm not sure if this game is obscure or not, so I won't go into too much detail about it. Suffice to say, it comes highly recommended. Especially if you like bullet hell shooters but aren't that good at them since it's probably the easiest bullet hell shooter I've ever played. I didn't even take damage until Stage 3 on my first play through.

It runs on the same hardware as Raystorm, which is basically a Playstation with more RAM. Sadly it never got a home version.
Edited by reelmojo on 29. April 2011 04:07

hitorkori
plz delete
Edited by hitorkori on 02. May 2011 13:49

WERY
reelmojo wrote:
Also, are there any other shmups that allow you to shoot in both directions like Death Smiles?

Yes a classic game from Capcom called Section Z =)
The Duce

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Also, are there any other shmups that allow you to shoot in both directions like Death Smiles?

WERY wrote:
Yes a classic game from Capcom called Section Z =)

AND INDEED, IT IS...
an absolute classic and one of my fave horizontal scrolling shooters! I really love the music in this game too... it's all really good!

YOU CAN'T SHOOT...
both ways in Capcoms Hyperdyne: Side Arms, but that also doesn't stop it from being amazing also Wink (both games are part of Capcoms 'jet pack' series anyway, alongside Forgotten Worlds no less... before someone else mentions it Grin)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Always good to bump this thread every so often and get some shoot 'em up discussion going. What shooters has everyone been playing recently?

I've been playing a lot of Varth lately. I remember trying this one briefly on Capcom Classics Collection for PS2 a while back but I never realized just how good this game is. Anyone else here a fan of the game?

I like how you have the option of smart or fixed pods which does alter the way you play.
People say it's overall easier with smart pods because of lots of enemy shots coming from
behind and the sides. I tend to play mainly with fixed pods though and my preferred weapons are machine gun and napalm. It's quite a tough game. One thing I find a bit strange is how you can gain new bombs faster by moving your joystick rapidly from side to side.

The graphics are impressive with some cool bosses like a spider robot, giant X-shaped carrier, helicopter and armoured train. The soundtrack is great too especially the music during the EX stage. Yoko Shimomura was one of the composers.

Excellent game and I think one of Capcom's best shooters.

YouTube Video

Jump to Forum: