Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kurisu
Thread ID: 1474
Thread Info
There are 148 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 35069 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Shoot-em-up thread
merlin
The eccentric cat wrote:
I want to try Ketsui.. is it any good?

*is hoping Carmen will answer*

I've played Ketsui in an arcade Cat and it's excellent. I've never played any Cave shoot 'em up that isn't good. If you enjoy other Cave shooters like DoDonPachi, ESP Ra.De. etc. then you'll love this one too. The 360 port is supposed to be very good from what I've heard. I don't know anything about the DS version though.

That 4 player PC shoot 'em up looks great. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I did manage to find a 3 player shoot 'em up on Mame: Turbo Force which is by the same developer of the Sonic Wings games Video System.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 04. July 2010 10:48

shion
Whoa, Merlin, my (fedora) hat's off to you! I had a gut feeling something like this existed. I'm sure it was a Japanese-only release. I looks very interesting!

Edit: according to Gamefaqs' records, Turbo Force was a '91 US release... Hmm
Edited by shion on 05. July 2010 06:41

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Murikov
Has anyone of you ever heard of Jets n' Guns (Gold) for PC/Mac/Linux? It was released by a few Czech hobby developers in 2004 and as a download-only-2D shmup for PC it got lost in the flood of FPS or strategy games in this era.

I played the Gold version by myself and was very satisfied with this little eastern-european gem. The soundtrack and the overall design as well are a bomb (for my taste at least).

The most significant feature might be, that you are able to buy new ships and to uprgade them (let's say like in NfS, just imagine that Railguns and Rockets are replacing streetglow lights and Nitro engines).

It isn't the very best shmup I ever played but still awesome enough to be my favorite PC arcade game.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

http://jng.rakein...
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

STE C
Looks like a cool little game , the graphics are certainly top notch I might look into tracking it down.

merlin
Never heard of Jets n' Guns before but like STE says it looks pretty good judging by that video. I'd like to give it a try in the future. Thanks for mentioning it Murikov.

By the way on the subject of PC shoot 'em ups does anyone here play any doujin shooters? There seem to be quite a few of them about but I've never got round to trying any before. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

1983parrothead
Looks like no one mentioned these in this thread.

Solar Striker - This is probably the only scrolling shoot 'em up by Nintendo if their arcade game Heli Fire doesn't count. Solar Striker was an early launch title for the original Game Boy. There is a fan-made "bullet curtain" ( or "bullet hell" ) version available in the description of this video of it I uploaded on YouTube. This other video below is the real one.

YouTube Video

Summer Carnival '92: Recca (or Rekka) - This was probably the 1st example of a "bullet curtain" shoot 'em up, especially in the Zanki Attack mode. Enemies explode into four or so suicide bullets when destroyed, and when enemies came in waves of 10 to 20. The main difference between Recca and most other "bullet curtain" shoot 'em ups, is that the bullets fill the screen AND they are absurdly fast!

YouTube Video

Nexzr - This was originally an unMAMEd arcade game by Kaneko, who also created the arcade game Air Buster (sometimes known as Aero Blaster). The TurboGrafx-CD version (as seen below) was later modified and released as Summer Carnival '93: Nexzr. The music is very good.

YouTube Video

Sol-Feace - Originally released for the powerful Sharp X68000 home computer by Wolf Team (currently known as Namco Tales Studio). This video below shows the Japanese version of the Mega CD/Sega CD port. The music is about as as good as Nexzr's.

YouTube Video

Other good shoot 'em ups I just want to mention are Irem's Image Fight, X-Multiply and Mr. Heli; Data East's Vapor Trail, Wolf Fang, Skull Fang, Boogie Wings, Darwin 4078, Super Real Darwin and I guess Battle Wings ( a.k.a. "B-Wings" ).

And what about some old-school shoot 'em up arcades that were successful like Sega's Zaxxon, Namco's Xevious, Tecmo's Star Force, Hudson's Star Soldier and I guess Nichibutsu's Terra Cresta below? Are any of Nichibutsu's shooters any good? The Terra Cresta arcade had two different versions on how its entire OST sounds, and this one belows plays the best version.

YouTube Video

Terra Cresta was later followed by Terra Cresta II and Terra Cresta 3D, which probably didn't turn out as successful as the first one.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Edited by 1983parrothead on 17. August 2010 18:56

merlin
I think it was a good idea of Kurisu to start this thread. It's nice when someone bumps the thread every so often and we have a bit of a shoot em up discussion again.

That's quite a list there Parrothead and like you say I don't think those ones have been mentioned in this thread yet. My brother is a big fan of Recca on the NES and was just telling me about it recently. Definitely I need to give that a try. Out of the others you've mentioned I do particularly like Vapor Trail and X-Multiply.

I've decided to check out a few doujin shooters and started off with eXceed3rd - Jade Penetrate - Black Package. Very impressed with this one I must say. Just like in Cave shooters you can hold down the fire button for a more powerful attack and as well as having a bomb attack you can also use a special attack once the meter at the bottom of the screen is full. Awesome soundtrack too. Here's a link to the trial version if anyone wants to check it out.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 17. August 2010 10:58

WERY
Got some favorites myself:

Gradius
Gradius 3
Abadox (I got the speedrun record. Yes I do taht with shooters)
S.C.A.T
Gun-Nac
Gyruss
Biohazard Battle

bojan4o
so what do you guys think about kof sky stage and neogeo something i dont remember the name i think it was heroes something like that are they good have you been playing them or?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

Glowsquid
Terra Cresta was later followed by Terra Cresta II and Terra Cresta 3D, which probably didn't turn out as successful as the first one.

You forgot Terra Force. Excellent game.

Also, IMO, Sol-Feace sucks (great soundtrack though). Android Assault is so much better it's not funny.

1983parrothead
Glowsquid wrote:

You forgot Terra Force. Excellent game.

Also, IMO, Sol-Feace sucks (great soundtrack though). Android Assault is so much better it's not funny.

I wasn't so sure about adding Terra Force. I heard someone say it's like Salamander/Life Force, making it less original while repelling more gamers.

Here is a list of all games in Nichibutsu's Cresta series:

1. Moon Cresta [Upright model] (1980, Arcade)
1. Moon Cresta [Cocktail Table model] (1980, Arcade)
2. Terra Cresta (1985, Arcade)
3. Dangar - Ufo Robo (1986, Arcade)
4. Terra Force (1987, Arcade)
5. Terra Cresta II (1992, NEC PC Engine)
6. Terra Cresta 3D (1997, Sega Saturn)

Sol-Feace might be better on the Sharp X68000 than on the Sega-CD. Have you tried the Sharp X68000 version?

Here is a 7-page Hardcore Gaming 101 article showing Konami's shoot 'em ups, including their very first video game, Space King. Konami wasn't the only company that started with a clone of a successful video game. There were so many others. Konami and others had to rip-off to gain experience and money in order to develop better video games.

http://hardcorega...ooters.htm
Edited by 1983parrothead on 22. August 2010 04:18

Tesu
merlin wrote:
Never heard of Jets n' Guns before but like STE says it looks pretty good judging by that video. I'd like to give it a try in the future. Thanks for mentioning it Murikov.

By the way on the subject of PC shoot 'em ups does anyone here play any doujin shooters? There seem to be quite a few of them about but I've never got round to trying any before. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cho Ren Sha 68K

Trouble Witches

Bike Banditz

Perfect Cherry Blossom

Kamui

Air Rade

To name a few...I'll have to cruise down to Akiba to see what else is up!

Tesu!

Keita-Kata
I've been playing shoot em up games since I was kid, Gradius III on the SNES was first my shoot em up game I played, Gradius is my number one shoot em up.

Gradius Series
R-Type Series
Raiden
Darius Gaiden
G-Darius
Raystorm
Capcom's 19XX series
Contra

The arcade version of Gradius III is much difficult than the SNES version.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

LIFE_IN_2D
I played Darius Gaiden with Angela for the first time. I really enjoyed it, although I was not used to the "feel" of the controls. Very visually stunning game, I almost got a seizure. Very impressed with this game.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 30. August 2010 05:17
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
SPEAKING OF...
one of my favoured Shmup gaming series' (Darius!) didnt know if any of you had read or heard about this: Darius Burst - Another Chronicle!

Here's a recent article: http://en.akihaba...-chronicle

SO YEAH...
Who the f*ck is up for 4P Darius sit-down with 3x HD panel screen set-up??! My god!! This looks absolutely fantastic... 4P Darius... HAHAHAHAAAA... there is a 'God' after all Pray

I'm going to go and cry now about how epic this truly is. Bye!

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Tesu wrote:
Cho Ren Sha 68K

Trouble Witches

Bike Banditz

Perfect Cherry Blossom

Kamui

Air Rade

To name a few...I'll have to cruise down to Akiba to see what else is up!

Tesu!

Thanks a lot Tesu! I'm going to give them a try. After watching a gameplay video I particularly like the look of Trouble Witches.

Haha I wish I could 'cruise down to Akiba' whenever I wanted. You're pretty lucky. It really is amazing there and I'd love to visit 'HEY' again.

I've been playing R-Type Leo a lot recently. Really nice shooter and a bit different from the other R-Type games. Pity there was no home release.
Edited by merlin on 31. August 2010 18:35

Keita-Kata
merlin wrote:
I've been playing R-Type Leo a lot recently. Really nice shooter and a bit different from the other R-Type games. Pity there was no home release.

R-Type Leo doesnt have a force, just only a psy bit. It's nice shooter.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Super R-Type, it has a secert PRO difficultly, if you use the cheat code and beat it you won't get the true ending. This TAS video shows that the player use the code to play on PRO level.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

cthulhu
I really love R-Type Leo...great graphics and a really fun game.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Keita-Kata
Koutetsu Teikoku aka Steel Empire for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis has not mentioned in this thread. I play this game before I when was a teen, I was a fun game and was one of my favorite shoot em ups on the Genesis.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

NeoGeoNinja
White Angel wrote:
Koutetsu Teikoku aka Steel Empire for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis has not mentioned in this thread. I play this game before I when was a teen, I was a fun game and was one of my favorite shoot em ups on the Genesis...

I'M WITH YOU...
on this one Angel. I too had Steel Empire as a teen (as you put it!) and I too loved this game! I did come back to it recently, and whilst not as amazing as I remember it, it's still great fun Thumbs Up

I was always plane > blimp/zeppelin myself...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Jump to Forum: