Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kurisu
Thread ID: 1474
Thread Info
There are 148 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 35008 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Shoot-em-up thread
Keita-Kata
Here's a good shooter from Konami, I'm not talking about Contra or Gradius, I'm talking about Axelay.

This game features a vertical and horizontal shooting, and has alot of weapons but only use 3 arments per stage.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

reelmojo
I know I'm not introducing anyone to anything new by saying this, but good Lord I have fallen in love with ESP Ra.De.!

I also just accidentally discovered an obscure shooter called War of Aero - Project Meiou. Most of the time when I download a rom for MAME I grab a random one from the list to just to see if I run into something good that I wouldn't have played otherwise. Usually I just find crap but this time I think I uncovered a hidden gem! It seems the game was only released in Japan in 1993 and never saw a home port (although I think it would have worked on a Genesis cart just fine). It's extremely difficult because it has that "feature" where when you die you start only slightly back but with no weapon upgrades so you're stuck fighting enemies who are near impossible to kill. One interesting feature is that once you pick up the little guns that float to the left and right of your ship you can hit the B button to make them flip around and shoot backwards which is really useful at times.

The only "videos" I've found of it online are two clips on YouTube that are just the title screen with songs from the soundtrack playing, so I'll post a few pics instead.

www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242185193.pngwww.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242185196.pngwww.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242185195.png

I can't find any info on the game or Yang Cheng online so I'm assuming the game is pretty obscure.
Edited by reelmojo on 10. October 2010 04:33

CountMetal
White Angel wrote:
Here's a good shooter from Konami, I'm not talking about Contra or Gradius, I'm talking about Axelay.

This game features a vertical and horizontal shooting, and has alot of weapons but only use 3 arments per stage.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

I remember playing Axelay. That game was awesome. I remember that there was suppose to be a sequel for that game and it sucks it didn't happen. I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of that game.

NeoGeoNinja
White Angel wrote:

This game features a vertical and horizontal shooting, and has alot of weapons but only use 3 arments per stage...

CountMetal wrote:
I remember playing Axelay. That game was awesome. I remember that there was suppose to be a sequel for that game and it sucks it didn't happen. I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of that game.

HOW MESSED UP???
I only just MINUTES ago posted in the 'what have you been playing' thread that I have recently been playing Axelay!!!

It is indeed a fantastic game. I'm rather late to the party though I'm afraid. I played it back in the day and really didn't like it at all. I just wasn't into it's pseudo 3D approach back then - I really struggled with it. My friend has always claimed that Axelay IS his fave SNES game ever, but since my childhood dislike, I have chosen not to play it since...

FAST FORWARD >> to this year, and I picked myself a copy up around 3 months ago (cheap!) just to give it another chance, and I've been HOOKED (or obsessed?) ever since! It DOES play really well and like Gradius or Parodius or even Salamander - it definitely deserved a sequel... or even sequels!

I have played it as far as I can several times over. Basically, when you complete it on a difficulty, it immediately gives you 'part' of the ending and then you start again on the same lives and score (a traditional 'loop' basically) on the next difficulty. VERY addictive stuff!

Of particular note is the OST/Score to this game. It's quite simply some of the BEST music I have ever heard in a videogame. Period. Honest to God - all the music in this game is off the scale! Epic indeed - especially through BIG ASS headphones of a more than generous frequency range! IF... you have the facilities to do this then do it! It really heightens how great Axelay truly is...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

slangman
I have Axelay on my Wii. Probably one of my favorite shoot 'em ups I have played. Although a tad on the short side compared to other shooters, the frantic level design, enemy design and music, which gets even better as you progress makes this an excellent shooter. I also like how the game is split into vertical and horizontal stages.

I also really like Gradius II(PC Engine), Life Force (NES), Star Parodier, Lords of Thunder, Super Star Soldier, R-Type III and M.U.S.H.A.
i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/slangman2000/terry5.gif

TF73
Some of my favourite shoot em up's are as follows:
BÝazing Star, Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Rez, Turrican, Z-Out, R-Type, Mr.Heli, Border Down, Under Defeat and Thunderforce IV to mention a few. There is really a lot of superb games out there. But I think a lot of the shoot em up's released today simply doesn't stand up to the old school games, sadly!

merlin
reelmojo wrote:
I also just accidentally discovered an obscure shooter called War of Aero - Project Meiou. Most of the time when I download a rom for MAME I grab a random one from the list to just to see if I run into something good that I wouldn't have played otherwise. Usually I just find crap but this time I think I uncovered a hidden gem! It seems the game was only released in Japan in 1993 and never saw a home port (although I think it would have worked on a Genesis cart just fine). It's extremely difficult because it has that "feature" where when you die you start only slightly back but with no weapon upgrades so you're stuck fighting enemies who are near impossible to kill. One interesting feature is that once you pick up the little guns that float to the left and right of your ship you can hit the B button to make them flip around and shoot backwards which is really useful at times.

Thanks for mentioning this one Reelmojo. I downloaded War of Aero earlier today just to give it a quick try and ended up playing for over an hour. Although not a particularly original shooter I found myself really enjoying it. The restart points do make it very challenging. I did get as far as the stage 2 boss but despite repeated attempts I couldn't get past it. The first attack phase of the boss is pretty easy but it's the second phase when it moves really close to you that's so tough. I'd say this game is well worth giving a go. Never heard of the developer 'Yang Cheng Electronic Co Ltd' before. I wonder if they developed any other games.

Also been playing P-47 Aces quite a bit. Really love this one but it's probably one of the toughest shooters I've ever played. From stage 3 onwards I die about every 5 seconds! Shock

merlin
Just in case anyone isn't already aware of this Espgaluda, Ketsui and DoDonPachi DOJ recently became playable on Mame. I played Ketsui earlier today and the emulation seems very good. Great news!

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 29. December 2010 09:44

NeoStrayCat
merlin wrote:
Just in case anyone isn't already aware of this Espgaluda, Ketsui and DoDonPachi DOJ recently became playable on Mame.

On what version/build?
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 30. December 2010 02:10
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
merlin
The Stray wrote:
merlin wrote:
Just in case anyone isn't already aware of this Espgaluda, Ketsui and DoDonPachi DOJ recently became playable on Mame.

On what version/build?

Stray Ketsui and DDPDOJ became playable with the release of Mame 0.140u2. Espgaluda only seems to work properly with Mame 0.140u3. Some people have also been using Shmupmame to play these games.
Edited by merlin on 30. December 2010 12:19

cthulhu
I've just tried Ketsui and DDPDOJ Black Label...damn DDPDOJ is hard as nails and even if you can get to Hibachi, it takes a bazillion lives to beat him (at least with my measily skills at shmups). Ketsui is a great game, but it doesn't deserve the godlike status the game has...I personally think DDPDOJ is way better.
I didn't care much for Espgaluda in Emulation, because I already have the original on PCB...also an awesome game, besides Guwange it's my favorite Cave game I played so far (haven't played Espgaluda II yet).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

1983parrothead
Here are a lot of not-so-popular shooters you might want to play on a few platforms. Besides the ones I already mentioned, some might already be mentioned by others in this thread:

==Arcade==

Ozma Wars
Vanguard
Vanguard II
Sky Soldiers
Sky Adventure
Battle Field
Time Soldier
Moon Cresta
Terra Cresta
Terra Force
Mag Max
Armed Formation F
Tatakae! Big Fighter
Exerion
Plus Alpha
Butasan
Momoko 120%
Formation Z
Field Combat
Argus
Astro Fighter
Super Astro Fighter
Shoot Out
Battle Wings (or B-WINGS)
Darwin 4078 (also on MSX)
S.R.D.: Super Real Darwin (also known on the MD/GEN as Darwin 4081)
Act-Fancer: Cybernetick Hyper Weapon
Cobra Command (1988)
Vapor Trail: Hyper Offence Formation
Rohga: Armor Force / Wolf Fang
Skull Fang Kuhga Gaiden
The Great Ragtime Show / Boogie Wings
Psycho-nics Oscar
Last Mission
Atomic Runner Chelnov
Heavy Barrel
Midnight Resistance
Bloody Wolf
Thunder Zone
Quarth (also available on others from arcade to mobile phone)
Vulgus
Varth
Section Z
Legendary Wings
Forgotten Worlds
Side Arms Hyper Dyne (also on various platforms)
Image Fight (also on NES and PCE Super CD-ROM)
X-Multiply
Armored Police Unit Gallop
Mr. Heli
Rabio Lepus
Star Force
Final Star Force
Zero Wing (also on PCE Super CD-ROM / TG-CD and MD/GEN)
Tiger Heli
Fire Shark
Twin Cobra
Twin Cobra II
Air Buster (also known as Aero Blaster on some platforms like MD / GEN and PCE / TG-16)
Nexzr (also on PCE Super CD-ROM / TG-CD)
Thunder Dragon
Thunder Cross
Thunder Ceptor
SDI
Bonanza Bros.
A-JAX
ASO2
Thexder
Truxton (also on MD/GEN)
Air Raid
Air Duel
GunForce (also on SNES)
GunForce 2
In The Hunt
Sky Kid
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Phelios (also on MD / GEN and others)
Rolling Thunder (also on NES and others)
Rolling Thunder 2 (also on MD/GEN and others)
Marchen Maze
Ordyne
Lucky & Wild (also doubles as a driving game)
Acrobatic Dog Fight
Xain'd Sleena (run 'n gun + horizontal shooter hybrid)

==Game Boy / Game Boy Color==

Solar Striker
Magical Chase (also on PCE / TG-16)
Vattle Giuce
Sagaia (also known as Darius II)
R-Type and R-Type II
Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS
Totsugeki! Poncotts Tank (or Trax)
Aerostar
Battle Unit Zeoth
Burai Fighter Deluxe (also on Game Boy Color as Space Marauder)
Dropzone (also on Game Boy Color as Dropzone Color)
Macross 7: Ginga no Heart o Furuwa Sero!!
SWIV (also on some home computers and a few others)

==Game Boy Advance==

Iridion 3D
Iridion II
Desert Strike Advance
Sigma Star Saga (like Super Star Force and the Guardic series, it's an adventure shoot 'em up)

==Sega Mega Drive / Sega Genesis==

Ranger X
Target Earth (known in Japan either as Assault Suit Leynos or Juusou Kihei Reinosu)
Elemental Master
Biohazard Battle
Greylancer
Alien Soldier
Sub-Terrania
Rolling Thunder 3
Twinkle Tale
Gynoug
Steel Empire (also on GBA)
Eliminate Down
Dangerous Seed
Battle Mania/Trouble Shooter series
Panorama Cotton

==MSX==

Guardic
Parodius series
Zanac

==NES==

Recca
Sqoon (spiritual predecessor of In The Hunt?)
Isolated Warrior
The Guardian Legend (known in Japan as Guardic Gaiden, sequel to MSX title Guardic)
Burai Fighter
Super Star Force (predating The Guardian Legend, but released the same year as Guardic, this is a shoot 'em up + adventure game hybrid. This video proves it.)
Metal Storm
Battle Formula
Star Soldier
Xexyz
Solar Jetman
rAf WORLD
Little Samson
Captain Skyhawk
G.I. Joe
Final Mission
Jackal
Battle City
Air Fortress

==SNES==

Super Megaforce / Super Aleste
Wild Guns
U.N. Squadron
Super Earth Defense Force
Cybernator
Metal Warriors
Spriggan Powered
Firepower 2000
Blazeon
Tekkaman Blade
Strike Gunner STG
Acrobat Mission
Bio Metal
Cotton

==Nintendo 64==

Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh ( Bangai-O )
Robotron 64
Dezaemon 3D

==PCE/TurboGrafx-16/CD==

Syd Meadís Terraforming
Soldier Blade
Gate of Thunder
Winds of Thunder
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
Rayxanber II
Rayxanber III
Spriggan
Star Parodier
Terra Cresta II
Image Fight II: Operation Deepstriker

==Virtual Boy==

Vertical Force

==Sharp X68000==

Sol-Feace
Edited by 1983parrothead on 12. January 2011 02:29

cthulhu
1983parrothead wrote:
Here are a lot of not-so-popular shooters you might want to play on a few platforms. Besides the ones I already mentioned, some might already be mentioned by others in this thread:

==PCE/TurboGrafx-16/CD==

Syd Meadís Terraforming
Soldier Blade
Terra Cresta II
Star Parodier

What, no Gate of Thunder, Winds of Thunder, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Rayxanber II and III and Spriggan?
My arcade stuff

1983parrothead
cthulhu wrote:
1983parrothead wrote:

==PCE/TurboGrafx-16/CD==

Syd Meadís Terraforming
Soldier Blade
Terra Cresta II
Star Parodier

What, no Gate of Thunder, Winds of Thunder, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Rayxanber II and III and Spriggan?

None of what you mentioned were featured in this page by Racketboy; however, it said "more" in the "Obvious Choices". Sorry:

http://www.racket...games.html
Edited by 1983parrothead on 05. January 2011 07:03

cthulhu
1983parrothead wrote:
None of what you mentioned were featured in this page by Racketboy; however, it said "more" in the "Obvious Choices". Sorry:

http://www.racket...games.html

Don't worry, it's probably because the games I mentioned were only released on the PC Engine and not on the Turbografx-16.
My arcade stuff

Keita-Kata
@1983parrothead

I already tried Super Earth Defense Force on the SNES, and that game is so easy. And I also played STG before, and I love that game.

And here's a trailer for Darius Burst: Another Chronicle.

YouTube Video

i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

Kurisu
Sorry, but has anyone mentioned the new Dreamcast bullet hell shooter Fast Striker 1.5 yet? Got my Limited Edition one today with soundtrack CD, huge poster and a MVS flyer. Can't wait to try it. It's from the NG-Dev team and is a conversion of the MVS game, apparently with the highest ever Meg count, 1,500 plus. Nice to see this thread I started ages ago is still going strong. Hi to Merlin and thanks for his kind comments about this thread. Shooters will never die!!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

merlin
Hi Kurisu it's good to see you posting here at NGFL again and I hope you'll be able to visit us
more often. There are actually a few threads about Fast Striker here at NGFL. Would be
interesting to hear your thoughts about the game too when you've had a chance to try it out.

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2844

WERY
White Angel wrote:The arcade version of Gradius III is much difficult than the SNES version

It sure looks nice. Where to find the PCB? I got the game on SFC but getting the arcadeversion would be nice as well =)
The Duce

NeoGeoNinja
WERY wrote:
It sure looks nice. Where to find the PCB? I got the game on SFC but getting the arcadeversion would be nice as well =)

PERSONALLY...
I would opt for the Grad III & IV pack for PS2 beforehand (or Gradius Collection for PSP) as 'Arcade' Grad III can be had easily and is more affordable that way Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Jump to Forum: