Username
Password

Remember?
Click here to register.
Forgot Your Password?
Search:
May 22 2018

Navigation
· Home
· Reviews
· Kazuya's Neo Top 10
· In Depth FAQ's
· Downloads
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Image Gallery
· Official Wallpapers
· Fan Made Wallpapers

· NGFL Site Projects

· Neo Geo - The Console
· Neo Geo Pocket Handheld
· Articles

· SNK Jukebox
· NGFL Arcade

· Discussion Forum
· Chatroom
· Latest Comments
· Xbox Live Leaderboard
· NGFL World Map

· Contact Me
· Site FAQ's
· Search Site

· Submit News
· Submit Link
· Submit Article
· Submit a Photo
· Submit Download

Random Review
Last Resort

Users Online
· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 1
Murikov

· Total Members: 2,351
· Newest Member: tomhilde

Last Seen Users
MurikovOnline
green beret04:39:14
Supergrafx 1 day
Chiba3010 1 day
RiKo 4 days
merlin 5 days
shion 1 week
Atomduck 1 week
lee gray 1 week
marktheshark 1 week

Ad

Support Us!
Donate To Us!
Enter an amount to donate:
¤

Why Donate?

Game events
Latest scores
NeoStrayCat
scored 193 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 523 points in
Snow Bowling
Snow Bowling
Henke
scored 172 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 28725 points in
Heli Boarding
Heli Boarding

Latest champions
Henke
is the new champion in
Snow Bowling with 523 points
Snow Bowling
Henke
is the new champion in
Heli Boarding with 28725 points
Heli Boarding
Henke
is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter


Thread Author: Mr Vengeance
Thread ID: 1462
Thread Info
There are 15 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4159 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Radiant Silvergun - worth the money?
Mr Vengeance
Radiant Silvergun XBLA looks unlikely anytime soon unfortunately.

Begs the question however - is it worth what people are asking for the Saturn version on eBay? I'm a huge Treasure fan and Ikaruga is in my top 10 favourite games of all time, so I'd love to get my hands on the game, but its very expensive - price has risen since I last looked at it on eBay a year ago even.

Do you guys think its worth it? The comments on Eurogamer are mixed which I found rather surprising to say the least....
 
THX-1138
If you can get it for 115-120, then yes. It's Ikaruga but epic, even verging on manic shooting.

I know someone who worked at Blockbuster, a couple of years ago some dude traded in a load of his old Saturn stuff, he traded in Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Saga for next to nothing! Even worse is that the guy i know who works there bought them himself for 2 each! Lucky bastard.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif
 
Mr Vengeance
You know what, the guy who traded in such incredible titles deserved to get nothing for them - what lunatic would trade in those incredible titles eh? Madness.... I think there was a good chance they'd have been stolen from some collector somewhere.... Guy behind the counter was lucky I guess. I remember myself getting some lovely items whilst working in games retail back in the day, but nothing like those two masterpieces.

The price of Radiant has gone up though - surprised about it to be honest. There's loads of copies of it around but each one is so expensive - its like a cartel, it really is:(

I'm going to get it someday, definately not this year, probably next. This year is all about the Neo and getting some serious software for it, then next year I'll look at the import Saturn scene I guess, and pick up a PC Engine too while I'm at it. I'm definately not getting a PS3 anytime soon.....
 
Kurisu
Mr V - Many here will know me as a shoot-em-up fanatic with a large collection for the Dreamcast and Saturn. My top two shooters of all times are Under Defeat and Zero Gunner 2 on the Dreamcast. Radiant Silvergun is definitely worth about 100-120. It's in my top 2 of all Saturn shooters along with the awesome Battle Garegga (no. 1). I value games, not on cost, but on value for money as an asset. As long as the game is not going to depreciate in cost and worth more than you paid, then to me it is worth it (I do realise I am lucky to be able to make these types of decision). For example, I could probably sell my copy of RS for about 75 more than I originally paid for it. However, having a 20 game that would only sell for 5 is not good VFM - plus think of the enjoyment it will give you!! This from someone who paid over 300 for Blazing Star!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!
 
Mr Vengeance
Kurisu wrote:
Mr V - Many here will know me as a shoot-em-up fanatic with a large collection for the Dreamcast and Saturn. My top two shooters of all times are Under Defeat and Zero Gunner 2 on the Dreamcast. Radiant Silvergun is definitely worth about 100-120. It's in my top 2 of all Saturn shooters along with the awesome Battle Garegga (no. 1). I value games, not on cost, but on value for money as an asset. As long as the game is not going to depreciate in cost and worth more than you paid, then to me it is worth it (I do realise I am lucky to be able to make these types of decision). For example, I could probably sell my copy of RS for about 75 more than I originally paid for it. However, having a 20 game that would only sell for 5 is not good VFM - plus think of the enjoyment it will give you!! This from someone who paid over 300 for Blazing Star!


I see what you mean and completely agree! I'd be happy to spend that on the game if my budget allowed at the minute as I know I'd get my money's worth from it. I could buy 3 Xbox 360 games for the same price and be bored of them within a week, and as you say, they don't hold their value like something like RS.

As I was saying to THX, it'll likely be next year before I get into the whole Saturn import scene. I have a PAL machine and a few games, but want the white Japanese model quite badly! Cheap as well.... Gotta put the AES collection first for a bit tough - must focus on one system at a time!
 
RiKo
My brother got me a copy of Radiant Silvergun off Ebay for about 78 on Ebay a couple of years ago. (I bought him a nice present too!)

Is it worth the money? yes especially if you own a Neo Geo! (you will be used to paying a lot for games) , otherwise probably not. I have read a lot of opinion on Silvergun over the years, and most people think it is certainly ONE of the best shooters on the Saturn but not THE best. It has been really over hyped, but even so it is an outstanding shooter. It's monetary value comes from its rarity I think. I think the general opinion is that Layer Section 2 is better.

Almost everyone thinks it is better than Ikaruga - so you should love it Grin

Kurisu wrote :- This from someone who paid over 300 for Blazing Star!


I really want Blazing Star on AES! but I really don't want to pay any more than 200. As you can imagine I have been looking a long time, and had no luck. I would say taht not many Neo Geo (AES) games are worth the money you pay for them really - when you consider what you could spend it on, but when you love the Neo Geo - what can you do? I wish someone would manufacture new copies!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I really really want to get Radiant Silvergun but it's just so expensive. I'm kind of hoping maybe in Japan I might see it for a cheaper price but that's probably a bit unlikely. Hopefully sometime this year I'll get a copy. It does look amazing from videos I've seen so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm so glad I bought a Saturn because it really is an amazing system with so many great games especially the 2D ones.
 
NeoGeoNinja
Hey Guys!

Haven't discussed this with anyone yet but i too am a 'Shmup-nut'.

I own tons of shmups including the mighty RadiantSilvergun for the Saturn. I got sealed copy last year from some dude in Germany for 135! I have since opened & played it, and can honestly say... I wasn't that bowled over by it (AAAGGGH!)

The thing I liked least about this game, which probably others love, is the 7-button weapon system. I just didn't get on with it. I preferred Ikarugas standard weapon with reverse polarity damage system etc.

I thought RSG was good, but it didn't hold my attention for long enough, like say, Battle Garrega (Yes Kurisu... that's right the Saturns No.1 Shmup too IMO & my ALL TIME favourite Shmup ever!) or say Soukyugurentai (Hell Yeah!) or indeed Ikaruga.

I preferred Ikaruga myself, even though, like RSG, I struggle with the implementation of the puzzle themes in both games. I thought the White & Black element in Ikaruga was clever, however I found the 3-colour system of RSG... well... 3 colours. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not a big fan of the chaining system in both games really.

Slightly off topic, but my fave shooters on the DC are Mars Matrix (1st) & (oddly?) ChaosField (2nd), which many do not rate, but I really enjoy the boss rush concept, the weapons system (wind screen wipers ahoy!) & the techno soundtrack too really fits the game!

As for Mars Matrix (RiKo, I know you mentioned this game elsewhere recently!) this game is simply awesome. It does have those Neo-esque pre-rendered animation frames, but they look great. The game itself plays amazingly! AMAZINGLY!! Its part of the GigaWing series, but is much better than both of those (and I prefer GW1 over GW2... GW2 looks and sounds UNBELIEVEABLE, but GW1 overall is the better game IMO!) ANYWAY... if anyone doesn't own Mars Matrix yet... well make sure you do soon! The shop unlocks in this game makes for ultimate replay value too. I could talk about MMatrix, probably, all day, but I'll do you guys a favour... I won't Grin
 
Mr Vengeance
I'm such an Ikaruga fanboy I think I owe it to myself to invest! Smile Just hope it doesn't cost too much when I do buy it....

merlin wrote:
I really really want to get Radiant Silvergun but it's just so expensive. I'm kind of hoping maybe in Japan I might see it for a cheaper price but that's probably a bit unlikely. Hopefully sometime this year I'll get a copy. It does look amazing from videos I've seen so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm so glad I bought a Saturn because it really is an amazing system with so many great games especially the 2D ones.


An educated guess says it'll likely be cheaper in Japan in the shops then it would be on the various auction sites. I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that rare - it just commands such high ebay prices because of its reputation....
 
THX-1138
Mr Vengeance wrote:
I'm such an Ikaruga fanboy I think I owe it to myself to invest! Smile Just hope it doesn't cost too much when I do buy it....

merlin wrote:
I really really want to get Radiant Silvergun but it's just so expensive. I'm kind of hoping maybe in Japan I might see it for a cheaper price but that's probably a bit unlikely. Hopefully sometime this year I'll get a copy. It does look amazing from videos I've seen so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm so glad I bought a Saturn because it really is an amazing system with so many great games especially the 2D ones.


An educated guess says it'll likely be cheaper in Japan in the shops then it would be on the various auction sites. I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that rare - it just commands such high ebay prices because of its reputation....


It's the same with Chrono Trigger and Dracula X on the PC Engine, they are common in Japan but sellers charge a high price because of the demand. Same with most of the Neo Geo carts, a guy on the 1up.com podcast Retronauts said he got Fatal Fury 2 in a shop in Tokyo for 150 yen, which is next to nothing!
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif
 
RiKo
NeoGeoNinja wrote :- As for Mars Matrix (RiKo, I know you mentioned this game elsewhere recently!) this game is simply awesome. It does have those Neo-esque pre-rendered animation frames, but they look great. The game itself plays amazingly! AMAZINGLY!! Its part of the GigaWing series, but is much better than both of those


Yes I love Mars Matrix - though I am not that good at it yet, and I haven't used my DC for a while. I have both Gigawing games but I didn't realise MM was part of that series!

I saw Mars Matrix on a Retrocore shooting Special. It just caught my eye because of the way it played, and I wasn't disappointed when I got the game - it was only about 20 or something at the time, so it was pretty good value.

I think MM gets the basics right and then just adds to them with a neat bullet-reflecting mechanic. Great game - my favourite shooter on DC I think. It is a little ugly looking but then I think it was a CPS1 or CPS2 game.

Bow down and worship this great game Smile

YouTube Video


EDIT uh - you'll have to click on the vid to go to YouTube and view - Just noticed 'No Embedding'
Edited by RiKo on 08. January 2009 22:25
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
THX-1138 wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:
I'm such an Ikaruga fanboy I think I owe it to myself to invest! Smile Just hope it doesn't cost too much when I do buy it....

merlin wrote:
I really really want to get Radiant Silvergun but it's just so expensive. I'm kind of hoping maybe in Japan I might see it for a cheaper price but that's probably a bit unlikely. Hopefully sometime this year I'll get a copy. It does look amazing from videos I've seen so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm so glad I bought a Saturn because it really is an amazing system with so many great games especially the 2D ones.


An educated guess says it'll likely be cheaper in Japan in the shops then it would be on the various auction sites. I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that rare - it just commands such high ebay prices because of its reputation....


It's the same with Chrono Trigger and Dracula X on the PC Engine, they are common in Japan but sellers charge a high price because of the demand. Same with most of the Neo Geo carts, a guy on the 1up.com podcast Retronauts said he got Fatal Fury 2 in a shop in Tokyo for 150 yen, which is next to nothing!


Maybe I was a bit hasty to assume it wouldn't be much cheaper in Japan. I'll definitely be having a good look around for Saturn shooters when I do go. If I could just get Radiant Silvergun for around 100 I would be happy with that. Looking at ebay today all the copies were much more expensive than that. There was also a soundtrack CD for the game for sale which cost about $200! 150 yen was a real bargain for Fatal Fury 2.

Mars Matrix looks really good but I don't have a Dreamcast. Maybe in the future.
Edited by merlin on 08. January 2009 23:27
 
THX-1138
Anyone played Pro Gear? Excellent manic shooter with a steampunk aesthetic.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif
 
NeoGeoNinja
Pro Gear (No Arashi?) right?!

Played it years ago on emulation. Glad you mentioned it. Its a great GREAT game.

I WOULD BET... that if anyone has it, or knows much about it, Cthulhu is the dude in the know, as from MEMORY (it's been a while, and I'm not 'tabbing' Wiki) it's a Cave game!

THEY DON'T DO... many Horiz.Shmups, but Pro Gear is and I think DSmiles is too, off the top of my head. Anyone think of any more Cave Horiz's?
 
cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Pro Gear (No Arashi?) right?!

Played it years ago on emulation. Glad you mentioned it. Its a great GREAT game.

I WOULD BET... that if anyone has it, or knows much about it, Cthulhu is the dude in the know, as from MEMORY (it's been a while, and I'm not 'tabbing' Wiki) it's a Cave game!

THEY DON'T DO... many Horiz.Shmups, but Pro Gear is and I think DSmiles is too, off the top of my head. Anyone think of any more Cave Horiz's?


Progear is indeed a Cave game and yes there are only two horizontal Cave shmups. Progear is a great game if you like Danmaku games. The thing with Progear to me is that it feels more like a Capcom game than a Cave game. Progear is a bit the same as Ibara, as Ibara mainly feels, looks and plays like a Yagawa Raizing game (lots of bombing and suiciding), but Progear feels and plays like a Cave game (lots of bullet dodging and wicked bullet patterns), but looks like a Capcom game because of it's graphical style.
DeathSmiles is the second horizontal Cave shmup, but it plays a lot different...there are NO power-ups and the emphasis lies more with destroying enemies than with dodging bullets...the typical bullet patterns are only used with the games 2 end bosses (Jitterbug and Tyrannosatan). Also a great game and really refreshing as it's a bit easier than other Cave games (I manages to finish 4 levels on only one credit the first time I played it) and the fact that you can shoot in two directions is also very nice. Still waiting for it to arrive...hopefully today, but probably next week.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
 
Jump to Forum:

  Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Money Puzzle Exchanger discussion Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 19 10. December 2013 16:07
What's it worth? Brand new Neo Geo AES console Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 24 21. November 2012 20:09
Evaluate play? Money Idol Exchanger Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 4 30. July 2011 16:30
Money Idol Exchanger FAQ in the works Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 5 18. February 2011 02:27
Money Puzzle Exchanger /Money Idol Exchanger: NGFL High Score Challenge Neo Geo High Score Challenges! 17 13. August 2010 21:23