Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 146
Thread Info
There are 19 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5085 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Virtua Fighter 5
boogiepop
Anyone planning on getting this as it's coming out next month? I know I'll be playing it soon at an acquaintance's house and man am I looking forward to it. The two new characters look damn cool and my character, Pai, is supposedly in good form. In fact, I just purchased a hori real arcade pro 2 just for the purpose of playing vf 4 evolution. Real sweet piece of hardware if I do say so myself. I may suck at just about every fighting game out there but I'll be damned if I don't improve at virtua fighter.

sukotsuto
Hehehe I've been playing VF4 evo recently and damn how I'd want to play that game Pfft I mean using El Rey would probably be cool and all.. too bad I won't be getting this game anytime soon.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
boogiepop
I know what you mean. The PS3 is just too damn expensive right now. I'm waiting for the summer 360 release at least since it's hard for me to rationalize buying a new system. I've always waited a few years for the price drops.

Eileen looks cool but a lot of stuff doesn't look very damaging on the videos. Almost like the impact of the hits isn't there. It would be totally sweet if they added in another character though I tend to doubt it.

Mitch The Zombie
The Virtua Fighter series always looked and played crap to me Tekken all the way baby Thumbs Up
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/MitchMF/PDVD_000.jpg

For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
But for me... it was Tuesday.

Kazuya_UK
Mitch The Zombie wrote:
The Virtua Fighter series always looked and played crap to me Tekken all the way baby Thumbs Up

With a nickname like mine I don't think I need to tell you all my preference Wink. I did actually gain a lot of respect for VF later on, without ever really liking it that much. I just prefer Tekken. I say Tomayto, you say Tomahto Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
boogiepop
Mitch The Zombie wrote:

Reverse the titles and you have my opinion. Different strokes I guess.

boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
With a nickname like mine I don't think I need to tell you all my preference Wink. I did actually gain a lot of respect for VF later on, without ever really liking it that much. I just prefer Tekken. I say Tomayto, you say Tomahto Smile

Kaz

I like that attitude. I'm fairly tired of hearing the endless VF>Tekken/Tekken>VF tirades. Nobody likes a fanboy.
Anyway, tonight's my first night of vacation and I think I'm going to go celebrate with some Card Fighters Clash and Evolution. Oh yeah Cool
Edited by boogiepop on 28. January 2007 05:23

Mitch The Zombie
Sorry I was very very drunk when I posted that, I'm not normally that confrontational :redface:

(Note to self, stay off pc when drinking)

Sorry
Edited by Mitch The Zombie on 29. January 2007 15:52
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/MitchMF/PDVD_000.jpg

For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
But for me... it was Tuesday.

boogiepop
Mitch The Zombie wrote:
Sorry I was very very drunk when I posted that, I'm not normally that confrontational :redface:

(Note to self, stay off pc when drinking)

Sorry

It's cool man, no prob. Wink
I hear the ps3 version has NO TRAINING MODE. Big letdown. Hopefully the 360 version will since it's based on version 3 (and not version 2 like the ps3).

NEO GEO DRAGON
I cant wait for the game. Hopefully it will be released along side the UK PS3 launch in March. Have you seen the arcade stick that goes with the game. The Virtua Stick High Grade, looks very nice but the postage is putting me off from ordering. BTW my favourite is Jacky and the rey mysterio look alike seem fun to use.

boogiepop
I know this guy that plays one mean Jacky and it's tough losing to him. Jacky's so cocky that he just taunts you from match beginning to end. Gah, drives me nuts. Definitely a cool character though.
Yeah, I glanced at the high grade. Not long though since I'm not planning on getting a ps3.

HexElf
As soon as it hits the 360 baby!
Akira ownz yoo all
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
HexElf
Seriously I can't see why anyone would prefer Tekken over Virtua Fighter personally. Even with all the fun as I've had playing Asuka with my friends lately it's still something I just cannot learn to enjoy properly as if there was a blister in the side or something. But rather than bashing Tekken outright, which will get the conversation nowhere (and I do kinda like the later games), I figured I should just commend the VF series for what it is right now.

As of Evolution, the current home version to get...

It's arguably the best balanced fighter ever concieved! None of the characters feel like a waste of space because Sega give them all the same kind of love (at least they do now that they ditched Taka haha) and also quite possibly the most realistic arcade fighter ever made. It is so incredible ripe with strategic options that you will be spoiled for life once you get into it, you haven't started playing until you at least attempted the simultaneous evading guarding triple throw escape defensive move. Hell even the practice mode is so fleshed out it could be made into a whole game, how many other fighters have a built in search engine for combos?`

So anyway, if you haven't given Virtua Fighter Evolution a try yet do yourself a favor and give it a shot on the PS2, it is the most accessible VF yet!

Klarkus
I prefver tekken myself. Tekken just feels alot better for some reason and even though I would like VF5, I know Tekken DR (Ps3) would leave my copy of VF5 in the dark.
img218.imageshack.us/img218/2194/myterrytag.gif

Goemon
I've read alot about VF being much more complex then Tekken but even after hours of play i didn't notice it. I think i need a VF tutor.

HexElf
Goemon wrote:
I've read alot about VF being much more complex then Tekken but even after hours of play i didn't notice it. I think i need a VF tutor.

Virtua Fighter got a lot more accessible over the past few games making it a lot easier to at least learn the basics and master character moves. The depth starts to show when you start exploiting all the little tricks that Sega built in there such as cancelling crouch dashes with Akira to get instant "while rising" moves such as the single and double palms.

Another easy way to see the depth in comparison is to look at universal moves. In Virtua Fighter everyone can crouch dash both back and forth while in Tekken crouch dashing is instead a forward only movement that is exclusive to specific characters. Sure the dashes use different commands and properties between some characters it adds to the depth but the way I see it that's hardly fair. Steve as an example has an ungodly advantage over everybody (as of Tekken 5 for the PS2) partially thanks to his unique dashes.

Also VF characters has the ability to clear their command buffer with a simple press of the guard button (usefull if you want to start punching right after an uf+K with Sarah rather than somersaulting) while I am not sure if Tekken has anything like it. So this one is for any one of you Tekken players on here...

Say I want to (f,f) dash in with Heihachi and use the 2 (triangle) button for something which is not that uppercut (f,f+2) of his. Do I really need to wait a full second or two before the buffer clears in order to do a standard 2,2 combo? Or what if I want to dash in with a mid hit 1+2 (double palm) to punish a crouching opponent expecting the f,f 1+2 headbutt?

If anyone has an answer let me know and maybe I'll start playing Tekken again to improve my Asuka already =D
Edited by HexElf on 27. February 2007 05:00

boogiepop
Goemon wrote:

What difficulty level do you have it on? Because if you have it on hard and you're in the eighth arcade or so, evading multi escape throws become something of a necessity. The AI becomes very human-like and the guard, attack, throw pattern becomes pretty much worthless.

Shiny
Worth buying a 360 for? You bet!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RxJkKA7KOI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeMOJxGZgyo[/youtube]

boogiepop
Well, since you felt like posting some vids, here's some footage of high-level play to go along with it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evC8IZjqFeY[/youtube]
Enjoy Grin
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Jump to Forum: