3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1457
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8644 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Fatal Fury 2 - Good or bad?
Still great after all these years! Still great after all these years! 36%[5 Votes]
Good but it's best to just go straight to Fatal Fury Special Good but it's best to just go straight to Fatal Fury Special 57%[8 Votes]
Poor game Poor game 0%[0 Votes]
Holy purple spandex Batman! Holy purple spandex Batman! 7%[1 Vote]
Going to play this game during the course of the week and I will post my impressions! Going to play this game during the course of the week and I will post my impressions! 0%[0 Votes]
Not one I want to play... Not one I want to play... 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
Fatal Fury 2 Discussion
Kazuya_UK
Game FAQ by Galen Komatsu attached - see the end of this post.

Please vote in the Fatal Fury 2 poll above! ^

NOTE: This was a previous Game of the Week thread!

Fatal Fury 2:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/fatal_fury_2/fatal_fury_2_flyer_small.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: One on One Fighter
Meg Count: 106 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Also available on SNES, PC Engine, Mega Drive/Genesis and Wii Virtual Console, as well as the port to the PS2 via the Fatal Fury Battle Archives.

Brief Description:

Fatal Fury 2 is another important title in SNK's history. It may have been replaced by it's sequel Fatal Fury Special, which was pretty much an upgrade to it, but it was still a very good game and a great upgrade to the original... that was SNK's first stab at the fighting game genre and this certainly improved things in all areas.

Roster:

Playable characters

o Terry Bogard
o Andy Bogard
o Joe Higashi
o Big Bear (formerly known as Raiden)
o Kim Kaphwan
o Mai Shiranui
o Cheng Sinzan
o Jubei Yamada

CPU-controlled characters

o Billy Kane
o Axel Hawk
o Laurence Blood
o Wolfgang Krauser

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_27/fatfury2title.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_27/fatfury2intro.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_27/fatfury2select.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_27/fatfury2shot.jpg

More images here -->

Review:

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://www.neogeo...page_id=33

Review Quotes:

Kazuya_UK wroteLike its predecessor, I spent a fair amount of money playing this machine back when I was in school and I still enjoy playing it today. Altogether this was a considerable improvement on the original. The Fatal Fury games have had lots of sequels though, and obviously the later entries into the series are better. The next game in the series called Fatal Fury Special is an updated version of this game with some new options, so you may be better off going with that one unless you are a completist like me and want the whole series! FF2 is still a good game though, whichever way you look at it.

Videos:

Intro & Gameplay Footage:

YouTube Video

Other Media

Fatal Fury 2 music is available in the SNK Jukebox!

Click here -->

You can also play music from the game here:

Fatal Fury 2 - Intro Music:

MP3

Fatal Fury 2 - Theme of Mai Shiranui

MP3

Fatal Fury 2 - Krausers Theme (Dies Irae)

MP3
Kazuya_UK attached the following file:
fatal_fury_2_special.txt [48.37kB / 65 Downloads]

Edited by Kazuya_UK on 12. January 2009 00:35
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
priest
Kaz: Sorry pont this out but you are anouncing the previous week Highscore challenge game. This week I have started a FFII challenge. I thought the idea was to have the same GOTW as we do HSC...?

So everyone is welcome to give it your best in this week High Score Challenge, which is Fatal Fury II:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1459
img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

img339.imageshack.us/img339/6738/1032017122.th.jpg

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Kazuya_UK
priest: fixed! I am so dumb lately lol! LOL

Kaz

NeoGeoNinja
Hah... I'm still alive, it seems!

So without delay... THIS IS MY FAVE SNK NEO-GEO GAME EVER!

This was the first NeoGeo game I ever played in the arcade and it was this game that made me realise how amazing the NeoGeo was.

I'd been playing the first one on the MD quite a lot as akid and loved it... even more so than the arguably superior SF2 on the SNES.

HOWEVER... it was when I went in to my local arcade and accidentally stumbled on an arcade machine (MVS) running the sequel to what was one of my favourite games of that period and *!BAM!* I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing... ONCE AGAIN... LEGENDARY MEN... RETURN...

FATAAAAL FUUUURY TWOOOOO... OMG I'd just c*me!

I'd never seen anything like it at the time. The graphics were mind blowing, especially the sheer size of the characters. Big Bear was an absolute mountain!

The SFX were absolutely AMAZING. I loved the raspy voices of the main 3 protaganists, and couldn't get over how the characters made little 'kiaps' everytime they punched or kicked... Andys "Hwaaa" for example. The impact noises were awesome, especially the blocking SFX. I loved how everyone used to turn around and stare in the arcade when you beat Mai as she screamed the house down. Andys "Zan Ei Ken" voice sample combined with the illustration of the move itself ACTUALLY caused me to to go around school at the time 'doing' it to friends in jest for no reason. That move was just so amazing! All my other friends started doing it back to me in response and eventually a Zan Ei Ken craze broke out often in the school corridors. We just run at each other at full speed wielding an elbow whilst shouting "Zan Ei Ken"! Maybe school wasn't so bad after all Hmm

Level design was great... from Seoul in Korea with all the state of the art architecture in the BKGD to Jubeis paper screen obscurity. All the music is fab and very memorable. I particularly liked the Italy stage music... typically european, but very catchy... I always pick him as my 1st opponent because of this. I always loved the Boss stages too, especially axel hawks electrified ring. It was often worth getting punched in the face just to launch him into the ropes. Very satisfying.

I KNOW... FFSpecial arrived a little later and superceded this game, but FF2 did it first. This was the version I played most. I'd never even played Special 'til a few years back. Im defense of FF2 I prefer FF2s intro, FF2's character select & FF2's secondary colour palettes too. On FFsp I like having access to the bosses immediately, however access to the bosses is easy enough on FF2 with the use of a code. Having Tung & D.King in FFsp doesn't really interest me, but having Geese & Ryo does somewhat. I also suppose, realistically, FFsp is more balanced than FF2, but it's FF2 that really did it for me back in the day.

STILL an amazing game to this day and, for me (say more so than MOTW for example) REALLY EPITOMISES what the NeoGeo was all about. Bigger, Better and just all out BadAss! This game seriously kicked major f*ckin' ass... FACT!

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 05. January 2009 00:02

Powerwave
great game but ide go straight to ff special when i want to play a classic fatal fury game

Kazuya_UK
I agree with what both Ninja said, FF2 is still a great game despite pretty much being eclipsed by FFS. I played FF2 in the arcade a lot, and even years later when I got an MVS setup, I bought FF2 for a cheap price before then moving onto FFS again, as I really wanted to play through them all in order. Saying that, Powerwave is right too... if you haven't played either for some reason, you'd be much better off playing FFS and skipping FF2 altogether; I can't think of any reasons to get FF2 over FFS now, other than to complete your collection I guess.

Never did play the SNES ports, but I have been told before that FF2 was a lot better on the SNES than FFS was. Cart limitations? I always found it really hard to spend my hard earned pocket money on the SNES conversions as a kid because I so badly wanted the much superior Neo Geo versions. I stuck to playing them in the arcade for the most part, and saved my SNES money for other games. Oh the life of a lowly poor school kid! Pfft Never could convince the parents to buy me that AES...

Kaz

RiKo
NeopGeoNinja wrote :- FATAAAAL FUUUURY TWOOOOO... OMG I'd just c*me!

Ninja! Grin - so thats why the controls are sticky sometimes!

I remember it was always exciting seeing large character sprites - like Big Bear on screen. Since all the home
consoles/computers always had reduced size ones - with less colours. We are spoilt nowdays!

I haven't really played much FF2 yet (none reallY) - since I got into the Neo late and therefore jumped straight to MOTW - as a newbie is prone to do. I would like to spend more time with the earlier FF games - which play a lot differently to MOTW anyway. Merlin recommended FF Special to me, and I really enjoyed playing it - despite being rubbish at it - I think its quite hard though!

Kaz wrote:- Never did play the SNES ports, but I have been told before that FF2 was a lot better on the SNES than FFS was.

I played FFS on the SNES (US version) a few weeks back, and I thought it was a very good conversion for the SNES. They managed to cram loads into the cart (I think a 32 meg one). All the parallax scrolling is there too, and the background change appearance inbetween rounds - just like the Neo, and it also has the plane switching. It is probably about 70% as good as the Neo version. I did think the controls could have been fractionally more respnsive though. I'd imagine the PAL version would suck big-time though!
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Will
If it's Fatal Fury 2, I'm with you. Unfortunately the game seems to lack texture sharpness in the graphics its predacessor had. The bonus game was a bit of fun (Why on earth did they remove it from FFSP?). The best part of the game is getting to kick your enemies from the front plane to the harmful terrain on the back plane. My preference is the Voltage Bars in New York (Now that's what I call Fatal Fury-esqe death matches). My favourite music tracks are the Italy Venezian track, the Mauy Thailand track, Mozart's Requiem and (in the case of FFSP) the Duck's Disco Rock all Arcade version and not CD version.

As for the SNES version of Fatal Fury 2 Kaz, you won't enjoy that, the graphics have lesser colours, the moves are harder to perform and the music tracks are ruined. The Sega Genesis version is more or less the same.

I never heard of two Gotws together. Even being a pair both FF2 and FFSP it might spoil the custom a bit.

RiKo
I was just watching the vid that Kaz posted at the top, and Joe really looks like Sagat (from SF2) in it! - the way he kicks too. I know its the same style of fighting, but it is quite similar.

merlin
It's hard to talk about Fatal Fury 2 without immediately comparing it to Fatal Fury Special. Fatal Fury 2 is certainly a great game and a very important part of Snk's history but to be honest I feel no desire to play it any more. I'd rather just play FFS. FF2 was the cheapest AES cart I ever bought at 8 boxed with manual and as a Fatal Fury fan it was an essential purchase for me but I never play it any more.

I know I've said this loads of times in these forums already but that last battle against Krauser is just one of the most special moments you can have playing a Neo Geo game. It's the way the view pans down from the vaulted ceiling in Krauser's mansion, the fact that Krauser speaks to you 'I'll chisel your gravestone sleep well', an orchestra playing part of Mozart's requiem, lightning in the background and the fact that Krauser's sprite looks huge. The atmosphere is incredible definitely one of the greatest boss encounters I've ever experienced.

I agree Will about the bonus rounds. I've always enjoyed them ever since the days of smashing up that car and those barrels in Street Fighter 2. I often wonder why bonus rounds went out of fashion. It provided a bit of variety when you could relax a bit between bouts.

Kazuya_UK
merlin wrote:
It's hard to talk about Fatal Fury 2 without immediately comparing it to Fatal Fury Special. Fatal Fury 2 is certainly a great game and a very important part of Snk's history but to be honest I feel no desire to play it any more. I'd rather just play FFS. FF2 was the cheapest AES cart I ever bought at 8 boxed with manual and as a Fatal Fury fan it was an essential purchase for me but I never play it any more.

I know I've said this loads of times in these forums already but that last battle against Krauser is just one of the most special moments you can have playing a Neo Geo game. It's the way the view pans down from the vaulted ceiling in Krauser's mansion, the fact that Krauser speaks to you 'I'll chisel your gravestone sleep well', an orchestra playing part of Mozart's requiem, lightning in the background and the fact that Krauser's sprite looks huge. The atmosphere is incredible definitely one of the greatest boss encounters I've ever experienced.

I agree Will about the bonus rounds. I've always enjoyed them ever since the days of smashing up that car and those barrels in Street Fighter 2. I often wonder why bonus rounds went out of fashion. It provided a bit of variety when you could relax a bit between bouts.

Absolutely agreed on all of that. Krausers stage gets mentioned all the time by SNK fans anyway as it's still one of the best boss encounters ever. Although I guess it's just a comparitively low quality audio sample that is playing, I was blown away hearing that music coming from the Neo Geo the first time I got there and that music suited it so well... it just made it feel epic! It was also very satisfying to beat Krauser for the first time because he's not exactly a pushover!

This is one thing that really annoys me about all beat 'em ups these days. Why don't characters have specific stages anymore? I've said it before but it's true; for me, when each character has their own specific stage and stage music that suits their personality, it adds so much in the way of atmosphere. Now for the most part, all fighting games seem to have a random stage for whoever you are fighting against (KOF included) and it just ruins a little bit of the atmosphere for me. Does that make sense to anyone else? Can you imagine if the final fight against Krauser was just on a random stage with different music. It would be the same fight, but it wouldn't have seemed as special.

I agree on the bonus rounds thing too, they were always fun and in the arcades you know you weren't going to lose out if you didn't do too well so getting to them kind of extended your playtime a bit, plus they were fun as hell in 2 player. I can still remember all the tactics people had for beating up the Lexus in SF2 back in the day, when at the end of the day there was no magical tactic that would destroy it any quicker. Smile I still hate the fact that SF2 HD doesn't have the bonus rounds included, I really wish they'd put them in...

Kaz

Ruderudie
Hey guys, just did my introduction speech in the other section yesterday, happy to enter another Neo forum!

FF2 was the top notch fighting game for me together with sf2 at the time. I had the snes port, and at the time i thought it was great. I later got ffs on the snes, but for some reason i didn't like that one too much. When i got my cab, first game i bought was therefore FF2, my mother of all SNK fighting games. It's still a great game, but ff special on the Neo hardware is a bit better in both balance as playability in general i think. It's like ssf2x compared to super; more polished, tweaked and just the defenitive version.

I do still think of FF2 as a great game though, while the first FF just undeniably sucks by any fighting game standards. I still think the voice sequences that usually stunned me back in the days are great, the game aged pretty well.

NeoGeoNinja
Hey all! I'm still here for some reason... NO, I WASN'T LYING, I am still, as Arnie would say, 'Targeted for Termination'!

ABOUT... FF2 & FFS on the SNES...

I started with FF2 on the SNES back in the day. I imported it from the USA after playing it on a NeoMVS in my local arcade ( Well... 'pier' ). TBH... the SNES version of FF2 was a DAMN amicable effort for the SNES and not sh*t like some ppl would have you believe. I enjoyed this every bit as much as the Neo version back in the day. I appreciate every port for what they offer... there wasn't a great deal to complain about regarding SNES FF2 aside the obvious graphical differences - smaller sprites, less animation, less graphical detail - So yeah, technically it wasn't as good... but it was all FF2! Takara?/TamSoft?/Monolith? did a sterling job IMO... I don't think anyone could have really done it better... I mean, look at capcoms own SF2 on SNES? Not perfect is it? BUT it's still bloody good by comparison!! SNES FF2 when compared to the Neo is the same story really!

AH AAAAHH... HOWEVER,

FFSpecial on SNES was NOT a good conversion! It wasn't a complete joke or anything, but not a patch on the original FF2 SNES version. A lot of people ONLY played the SNES ver. of FFS over FF2, like favouring FFS over FF2 on the Neo. REGARDING the SNES versions this is quite the opposite. In comparison to FF2 on SNES FFS had missing frames in moves and also in the standard 'stance' animation, worse SFX, music not accurate to the Neo original (FF2 SNES did... not quite Neo, but very good effort!) and much smaller sprites. As someone else has already mentioned, this is probably due to cart size restrictions and adding the extra characters & BKGDs & extra music obviously took its toll. LIKE I SAID... SNES FFS is not unplayable, just not as good as SNES FF2 (FF2 even had the bonus stages too, which is pretty cool IMO)

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 07. January 2009 18:42

Ruderudie
Yes FF2 was a better port than FFS for sure. I remember Takara produced these little FF charactersat that time to promote the game, i still have a few here. I don't remember if i got them with the game or ordered them later on? Anyway, i'm still glad i don't have to play ports anymore, i only play sf2turbo on snes every now and then with a body. No port can ever compare with this. Period. Still fully playable and just a great game.

cthulhu
I really like this game out of sentimental reasons as this is the first Neo Geo game I ever played...played it on a MVS in Belgium a long long time ago. I do prefer Special over this one though, because it has more characters to choose from.
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
Just been playing FF2 for the high score challenge - so I comment on it properly now.

Well its quite nice looking, but there is a noticable lack of colours onscreen when compared to later Neo Geo games. I presume this was because of the smaller cart capacity. It is a lot like Special! - like everyone has been saying, and its pretty good fun for an early Neo game.

I'm not really sure if I like the plane switching much - it gets in the way of a flowing match. The only other thing that annoys me is that when your opponent starts a special move and you hit them before they get into it fully - it doesn't register the hit, so consequently it seems a little unfair, beacuse you then get hit by that move - but I guess thats just a 'rule' of the game, I have to get used to.

Do all Neo Geo fighting games have flickering shadows? (of the player and enemy) - I suppose it is because the Neo can't do sprite transparency, but I don't know, maybe that's how they look best?

reelmojo
While last week's GotW was my first KoF game, Fatal Fury 2 was my first SNK game altogether. I rented it for Genesis so long ago that I barely remember it. I believe Kim was my favorite character to play as at the time, with Mai being a close second. Having played FF2 made my eventual introduction into the KoF series go that much smoother as I already recognized a bunch of characters.

Unfortunately I wasn't at an age where I could buy any game I wanted so I never got to own it.:(

Kazuya_UK
I always pick Mai as my first opponent as hers is my favourite stage music, but the entire soundtrack is brilliant imho.

Kaz

lee gray
After all these years this is still my favourite NEO GEO game closely followed by samurai shodown 2

When i first saw it in the arcades all those years ago i thought it looked much better than streetfighter 2 and prompted me to buy a home console and ordered the home cart version which I had to wait another 3 months for and use to go to the arcade each day whilst waiting for it to arrive and i was so happy

I loved the backgrounds(especially Andy and Mai's) and the intro and the speech and the characters and the gameplay

I like this game better than fatal fury special even though i would say special is the better of the two but its about the presentation and fond memories for me
Edited by lee gray on 09. May 2010 22:58

LIFE_IN_2D
cthulhu wrote:
I really like this game out of sentimental reasons as this is the first Neo Geo game I ever played...played it on a MVS in Belgium a long long time ago.

I can totally relate to what you said about Fatal Fury 2. FF2 was also the first Neo Geo game I ever saw and played. I was amazed at how great the game looked and played. Playing Fatal Fury still takes me back when I play it today.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: