Username
Password

Remember?
Click here to register.
Forgot Your Password?
Search:
November 21 2017

Navigation
· Home
· Reviews
· Kazuya's Neo Top 10
· In Depth FAQ's
· Downloads
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Image Gallery
· Official Wallpapers
· Fan Made Wallpapers

· NGFL Site Projects

· Neo Geo - The Console
· Neo Geo Pocket Handheld
· Articles

· SNK Jukebox
· NGFL Arcade

· Discussion Forum
· Chatroom
· Latest Comments
· Xbox Live Leaderboard
· NGFL World Map

· Contact Me
· Site FAQ's
· Search Site

· Submit News
· Submit Link
· Submit Article
· Submit a Photo
· Submit Download

Random Review
World Heroes

Users Online
· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 2,345
· Newest Member: 4d

Last Seen Users
Supergrafx02:40:55
Murikov 1 day
merlin 2 days
green beret 3 days
NeoStrayCat 1 week
cthulhu 1 week
Sensi 1 week
rollinsonphilip 1 week
NeoGeoNinja 2 weeks
RiKo 2 weeks

Ad

Support Us!
Donate To Us!
Enter an amount to donate:
¤

Why Donate?

Game events
Latest scores
NeoStrayCat
scored 193 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 523 points in
Snow Bowling
Snow Bowling
Henke
scored 172 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 28725 points in
Heli Boarding
Heli Boarding

Latest champions
Henke
is the new champion in
Snow Bowling with 523 points
Snow Bowling
Henke
is the new champion in
Heli Boarding with 28725 points
Heli Boarding
Henke
is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter


Thread Author: Bart-Man
Thread ID: 1441
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4312 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Which games and/or series do you think are underrated and/or underaprecciated?
Bart-Man
Besides the neo-geo games,which games do you think is underrated?
I personally think that killer 7 and puyo puyo series are both.
I'll name others later.
 
Will
I think "Streets of Rage" trilogy, the PC RPG "Albion", the two "Maniac Mansion" puzzle games, "Bubble Bobble" series and "Buck Rogers". I'm sure if any of these I mentioned are underrated but I haven't seen their ratings.
 
cthulhu
I personally think that Splatterhouse and Splatterhouse Part II are underrated. The reason is that when people play these games they might get bored with the simplicity of the levels and control system...You alway walk from left to right, there are NO platforms to jump on (only gaps to jump over) and you just keep on slashing and bashing the enemies to a bloody pulp. This really is a game in which memorizing the levels and attack patterns is crucial to finishing the game. Now why I think it's underrated...the game is meant to be this way, it's a real pleasure to play if your a Horror fanatic/ Gorehound because of the enormous amount of tributes to classic Splatter movies (Evil Dead, Re-Animator, to name but a few)...the whole game is one big tribute to Splatter and Horror movies and is really fun to play if you like these kind of movies.
Also an underrated game might be Devilman for the Playstation...it didn't even come out outside of Japan, which is a real shame. It's a game bases on my favorite Manga/ Anime and the first half of the game is a bit Biohazard, but than without weapons, you're a weak person who's up against a large amount of very powerful demons, so the object is to just evade them all (more fun than it sound). The second half of the game you can transform into Devilman and than the game turns into a pretty gory Beat 'em Up, with levels that sometimes have missions to complete before taking on one of the bosses. I like it a lot and still think it's a shame that it wasn't released over here (and in America), because even though I know what's the story's about, a translated game would have been nice to have (Japanese speech and subtitles of course).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
 
NeoGeoNinja
DISCLAIMER: Please skip this post if YOU DON'T want to learn about some pretty cool, underrated games that you may not have heard of. But hopefully have... we are on a NeoGeo site after all... I think you'd struggle to find gamers with minds, quite as open Wink

So... where do I start!

FIRSTLY... I'll start by stating that my interpretation of under-appreciated is basically... games that I FEEL are under-appreciated by fellow residents in the UK, who in my experience, tend to swing their loyalties towards the latest, most popular games that have 'the best' graphics... even though I'd rather look at 2D all-day long Thumbs Up

SO... I'll throw a few out there, here goes... I AM SPECIFICALLY, FOR THE TIME BEING, GOING TO RESTRICT THESE TO PS1... i may add some more from other consoles at a later date

( Argue please argue these at any time. Thanks.)

Ridge Racer Series:
A difficult one this. I can't quite put my finger on it, but no-one really appreciates Ridge Racer anymore. I think after '1' it fell quickly into a bit of a niché. I guess Ridge on the PS1 is what MotorStorm on PS3 is today... everyone went on about it at the time because there was only 6 games on release... and people will make do. Without going on too much I LOVE the Ridge series - only up to 5 - 6&7 introduced Nitro... which sucks BIG TIME... and gives the CPU/AI an excuse to cheat Roll Eyes Ridge Racer Revolution is to date, probably my favourite ever racing game. Nothing compares to the sensation of beating the White Angel for the first time OR indeed taking the Angel round the tracks in Manual-Type Z

Tobal 1&2:
I feel these are pretty unappreciated... Square seemed to think so too. Thats why the AMAZING Tobal2 never saw the light of day outside of Japan. I love them both (the 1st started it for me) and I struggled for years to find games that understood what a 3D fighting game was. Tobal for me was top of the tree. It didn't concern itself with ridiculous combos or over complex commands for a over glorified ridge-hand strike. The game play was relatively simplistic but fulfilling... Oh and the characters had personality too (unlike say VF). I could go on all day about these 2 (quest mode anybody?) BUT I'll end by saying Tobal2, to my fighting knowledge, is probably the BEST true 3D fighter on the PS1 (better than T3 & S.edge IMO... graphically, gameplay... its glorious!)

Ehrgeiz:
This game again is great, not as good as Tobal, but original enough to be appreciated PLUS it was co-developed by Namco&Square! I think this games sadly forgotten about now. Shame.

Kurushi/Kurushi Final:
Ok. This game was quite talked about at the time but was quickly forgotten. Another amazing game that has gone under the radar of appreciation. ODDLY I DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE puzzle games. This is the only puzzle game I can play (as well as Wetrix... OMG Wetrix IS amazing!) where by I get captured by this addictive puzzle phenomenon people get, from say, Tetris (which I find a total bore... sorry). Well worth a look.

OTHER HONOURABLE MENTIONS... all come in the form of fighting games (series'Wink:
Bloody Roar (series... especially BR1!)
Guilty Gear - Original PS1 game... this had all the manic gameplay found in the newer iterations, but was doing it back on the PS1 first. AWESOME!
Rival Schools (Original PS1 game) - Never really took off these games. I really don't know why... such great fun!
Wu-tang: Taste the pain - Not a great game but is great fun. It's a tad crude from a martial arts perspective, but it feels pretty positive throughout - time to grab the multi-tap for 4 player madness Grin

SORRY ABOUT THE ESSAY... but when it comes to games, I cannot stop myself... LITERALLY
 
merlin
Here are my nominations for underrated games:

Tenchi wo Kurau II / Warriors of Fate (Arcade/Saturn/PSX)

I rarely see this game getting mentioned in gaming forums which is surprising considering it's a brilliant Capcom side scroller. Colourful graphics, large sprites, very hectic gameplay with loads of enemy sprites on screen at one time, large impressive bosses, long varied stages, a choice of five characters, loads of weapons like swords and clubs and you can ride on horseback too. Almost as good in my view as Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara.

Solar Jetman (Nes)

When people make a list of the best Nes games ever this game often seems to be inexplicably left off. An incredible space exploration game for your Nes with great graphics and music. In my view one of the top 10 best Nes games.
 
RiKo
I agree with you Ninja on Bloody Roar (I love the first game) and Ridge Racer - that really is an iconic game for me. I still remember when I first saw it in the arcades and was blown away. I am also a big Rival Schools fan too. I love the team-up moves like when you partner is the osteopath and she adjusts your spine and puts your health up - great fun! Grin


For me I have to say - Poy Poy (Playstation) (this was one of THE multiplayer games I used to play with my friends - along with Super Bomberman (Snes), Perfect Dark(N64), Mario Kart (Snes), and Tekken 3(playstation)) It was just as good as any of these games and we loved it! - you do need at least 3 players though, its not quite the same with two. When you play it though you have to limit the power gloves to level 1 or it gets unbalanced - we always do that and its great.

Also one of my all time favourite games is Exile (BBC Micro, Amiga), an amazing game and so far ahead of its time. It is a sandbox game really, I used to have fun flying around the central cavern avoiding homing missiles. I also used to like picking up the various creatures and putting them in a locked room to see what would happen! - A great game you could mess around in as well as play. I prefer the BBC version because of the brighter graphics and its the original! No one has ever heard of Exile - but I love it - it was also posthumously awarded a 10 out of 10 by Edge magazine in one of their Retro specials - high praise indeed! (putting it in the same exalted class as Halo, Gran Turismo 1, Zelda, Half Life 2, and Mario 64!)
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
Also one of my all time favourite games is Exile (BBC Micro, Amiga), an amazing game and so far ahead of its time. It is a sandbox game really, I used to have fun flying around the central cavern avoiding homing missiles. I also used to like picking up the various creatures and putting them in a locked room to see what would happen! - A great game you could mess around in as well as play. I prefer the BBC version because of the brighter graphics and its the original! No one has ever heard of Exile - but I love it - it was also posthumously awarded a 10 out of 10 by Edge magazine in one of their Retro specials - high praise indeed! (putting it in the same exalted class as Halo, Gran Turismo 1, Zelda, Half Life 2, and Mario 64!)


I remember playing Exile on the Amiga, nice game, but I haven't played it enough to know what was going on and what to do.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
 
Atomduck
Almost every SNK series :3

umm... yeah, Puyo Puyo is unappreciated and not to mention fun!

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is unappreciated it follows the same exact artstyle yet alot of dumb people simply ignore it

No More Heroes

Time Splitter Series

Gun.Smoke is alot of fun on the NES

If I think of more I'll post it up here.
 
Raiken
Oni for ps2. Frustrating at first, but it really becomes fun once you start getting the hang of the fighting system.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg
 
THX-1138
Snatcher- Mega CD/PC Engine Super CD
Policenauts- Sega Saturn
Pro Gear- Arcade
Ninja Spirit- PC Engine
Terrinigma- SNES
Darius Gaiden- Sega Saturn
Guardian Heroes- Sega Saturn
Cool Cool Toon- Dreamcast
Ginga No Fukei Densetsu Sapphire- PC Engine Super CD
Dracula X: Rondo Of Blood- PC Engine Super CD
Rival Turf- SNES
Rocket Knight Adventures- Mega Drive
Gigawing- Dreamcast
Gunbird 2- Dreamcast
Einhander- Playstation
Ristar- Mega Drive
Zone Of The Enders: 2nd Runner- PS2
Sexy Parodius- Sega Saturn
Dead Or Alive 4- Xbox 360
Folklore- Playstation 3
Edited by THX-1138 on 01. January 2009 23:53
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif
 
Bart-Man
cthulhu wrote:
I personally think that Splatterhouse and Splatterhouse Part II are underrated. The reason is that when people play these games they might get bored with the simplicity of the levels and control system...You alway walk from left to right, there are NO platforms to jump on (only gaps to jump over) and you just keep on slashing and bashing the enemies to a bloody pulp. This really is a game in which memorizing the levels and attack patterns is crucial to finishing the game. Now why I think it's underrated...the game is meant to be this way, it's a real pleasure to play if your a Horror fanatic/ Gorehound because of the enormous amount of tributes to classic Splatter movies (Evil Dead, Re-Animator, to name but a few)...the whole game is one big tribute to Splatter and Horror movies and is really fun to play if you like these kind of movies.
Also an underrated game might be Devilman for the Playstation...it didn't even come out outside of Japan, which is a real shame. It's a game bases on my favorite Manga/ Anime and the first half of the game is a bit Biohazard, but than without weapons, you're a weak person who's up against a large amount of very powerful demons, so the object is to just evade them all (more fun than it sound). The second half of the game you can transform into Devilman and than the game turns into a pretty gory Beat 'em Up, with levels that sometimes have missions to complete before taking on one of the bosses. I like it a lot and still think it's a shame that it wasn't released over here (and in America), because even though I know what's the story's about, a translated game would have been nice to have (Japanese speech and subtitles of course).


ah..true that.
I have seen a video of Splatterhouse and man that is indeed awesomely good and awesomely scarier
 
Nadanova
Probably Alpha Prime on PC and Tetrisphere on N64.

Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty
 
STE C
Shao Lins Road AGAIN from me its the game i have in my jamma cab please folks dowload and play in MAME . It even came out in the USA on a Konami hits cart on the DS so i bought a DS just for it and im not a handheld fan at all
 
priest
STEC: I really admire your seemingly never ending love for "SHAO LINS ROAD" . I can see that you are as passionate about this game as I am about "GUN.SMOKE" Thumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"
 
http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
M-Kof
hmmm, let's see :

-Guardian Crusade
-CT Special Force
-Brave Fencer Musashi

Atomduck wrote:

Time Splitter Series


I agree with you, Atomduck.I thought it was a amazing game.It's full of action and humor which I've never see in any Shooter game.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:

Tobal 1&2:
I feel these are pretty unappreciated... Square seemed to think so too. Thats why the AMAZING Tobal2 never saw the light of day outside of Japan. I love them both (the 1st started it for me) and I struggled for years to find games that understood what a 3D fighting game was. Tobal for me was top of the tree. It didn't concern itself with ridiculous combos or over complex commands for a over glorified ridge-hand strike. The game play was relatively simplistic but fulfilling... Oh and the characters had personality too (unlike say VF). I could go on all day about these 2 (quest mode anybody?) BUT I'll end by saying Tobal2, to my fighting knowledge, is probably the BEST true 3D fighter on the PS1 (better than T3 & S.edge IMO... graphically, gameplay... its glorious!)


I'm with you Ninja, I'll be happy if Squaresoft make the next sequel with HD graphics.But that would be never happened.
Edited by M-Kof on 16. February 2011 10:40
 
1983parrothead
ADK, Irem, Sega, Sunsoft, Data East, Tatsumi, Universal (creator of the Mr. Do! series), Jaleco (especially Japanese versions), Taito, Namco, Konami, Technos Japan, Video System, Mitchell, Fuuki, Psikyo, Culture Brain, Accolade, Electronic Arts, Hot-B, Visco, Seta, Sammy, Kaneko, Kemco, Starfish, IGS, Seibu Kaihatsu, Vic Tokai, TAD Corporation, Arc System Works and Nichibutsu are several companies I can think of that may have a large number of underrated and/or criminally-overlooked titles.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 27. February 2011 08:55
 
Jump to Forum:

  Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Arcade games collection Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 144 02. November 2017 17:05
Neo-Geo Games That Should Have Been An Anime Series/Movie Anime Discussion 16 04. July 2017 17:40
What are 10 of your most favorite NeoGeo Pocket games? Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 5 26. June 2017 09:55
Homebrew Games Thread Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 4 05. May 2017 20:19
The PGM System & Games Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 303 02. November 2016 14:22