Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1439
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 20154 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
KOF '95 is the Game of the Week... still worth it?
Hell yea, great game still! Hell yea, great game still! 71%[15 Votes]
It's passable still but I'd rather play the newer ones and skip '95 It's passable still but I'd rather play the newer ones and skip '95 14%[3 Votes]
Poor, I don't like old school KOF Poor, I don't like old school KOF 0%[0 Votes]
It's one of the very few that has Eiji!!!! Come on, how could it NOT be any good? ;) It's one of the very few that has Eiji!!!! Come on, how could it NOT be any good? ;) 10%[2 Votes]
Somehow I missed KOF '95... will try it during the course of the week and post my findings Somehow I missed KOF '95... will try it during the course of the week and post my findings 5%[1 Vote]
Not interested Not interested 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 21
 Print Thread
King of Fighters '95
Kazuya_UK
Game FAQ by JPalanca attached - see the end of this post.

Please vote in the KoF '95 poll above! ^

NOTE: This was a previous Game of the Week thread!

The King of Fighters '95:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/king_of_fighters_95/kof95_flyer_small.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: One on One Fighter
Meg Count: 250 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Also available on Gameboy (yes really) and Sega Saturn/PSOne, as well as the Orochi Saga pack for the Playstation 2.

Brief Description:

The King of Fighters '94 is an absolute landmark title in the Neo Geo and SNK's library, and KOF '95 took the series a little bit further. While the gameplay in general is the same as the previous years game, '95 refined it a little, added a team edit mode, and took out one of the less popular teams, the USA Sports Team: replacing them with the "Rivals Team", headlined by Iori Yagami!

Roster:

Hero Team

* Kyo Kusanagi
* Benimaru Nikaido
* Goro Daimon

Fatal Fury Team

* Terry Bogard
* Andy Bogard
* Joe Higashi

Art of Fighting Team

* Ryo Sakazaki
* Robert Garcia
* Takuma Sakazaki

Ikari Team

* Heidern
* Ralf Jones
* Clark Steel

Psycho Soldier Team

* Athena Asamiya
* Sie Kensou
* Chin Gentsai

Women Fighters Team

* Yuri Sakazaki
* Mai Shiranui
* King

Korea Team

* Kim Kaphwan
* Chang Koehan
* Choi Bounge

Rival Team

* Iori Yagami
* Eiji Kisaragi
* Billy Kane

Bosses

* Saisyu Kusanagi (Sub-Boss)
* Omega Rugal (Main Boss)

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_44/kof95title.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_44/kof95intro2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_44/kof95select_1.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_44/kof95shot2.jpg

More images here -->

Review:

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://www.neogeo...page_id=50

Review Quotes:

Kazuya_UK wrote
Whatever your preference, this is still a very enjoyable game and one that any KOF fan will enjoy just as much as '94 - if not more, particularly as they included the much needed team edit option. If you own a Neo Geo and have '94 already then you will definitely want to pick this one up... hell, any Neo Geo owner should have EVERY King of Fighters game in his collection really, although this is coming from a big fan of the series Wink

One Fu wrote:
While a slim number of changes were made here and there, KOF 95 is still an okay sequel. It was nice seeing several things were fix. Sadly, several new bugs were founded and not fix, lowering the appeal of the game. In conclusion, it wasn’t good then I thought it would be and I wasn’t in high hopes for it in the first place. If you can accept the disadvantages the game contains, then the game is decent. Besides, this might be only time you Eiji fans will ever get to play him in KOF!

Videos:

Intro Scene:

YouTube Video

Combo Video:

YouTube Video

Japanese Tourney Video:

YouTube Video

Other Media

The King of Fighters '95 music is available in the SNK Jukebox!

Click here -->

You can also play music from the game here:

Arashi No Saxaphone - Rival Team:

MP3

Club-M -Aozora ni Flute- - Team Italy:

MP3

High Score Challenge

We will be running a high score challenge on KOF 95 this week! Check out our high score challenge forum for more info if you think you can set a high score in the game! Grin

http://www.neogeo...orum_id=25
Kazuya_UK attached the following file:
king_of_fighters_95.txt [93.25kB / 625 Downloads]

Edited by Kazuya_UK on 04. January 2009 21:49
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Will
KOF series is rolling on this site. The scenes I love are King's Cafe in England, the rainy hills of Korea and the lush valley of China. A surplus in the game is the replacement of the rubbish USA Sports team.Grin Our favourite feature in the game is the custom teams we can pick. It is unusual especially if you pick Eigi with any of the Sakazakis and Robert Garcia or any of the Lonely Wolves with Billy Kane considering these guys hate each other, but thats still cool. I've never actually tried it, nor am I sure it has an ending after rivals and heroes work together. Hope to chat about this one for a while. Honfu

Zakatek
Another KOF GOTW. Thumbs Up My big brother used to play this game at arcade a lot and he introduced me KOF games with this game. I like to play this game for nostalgia, also i like intro of KOF 95, i think it has one of the best kof intro short but i like it (my fave is 96 intro) , and backgrounds are cool too, Rival Team background is the best imo.

Powerwave
i enjoyed playing this game alot on my saturn however im not as keen on the old school kof's the ai can be cheap and the game doesn't flow as well as say kof 97. however saying that i still enjoy the game and i realy like the stage locations such as the burning forest

NeoGeoNinja
Well... here we are! HANDS DOWN, my 'favourite' KOF ever!

I love everything about this game - I mainly love the fact that this game still represents the AOF & FF characters in similar renditions to their standalone game counterparts (especially the FF characters!).

I also love all the music for the levels, the background designs are great, the SFX - particularly the voice samples of characters from their native games - are awesome!

LIKE POWERWAVE SAID... there are issues with the CPU on the SAT (and Neo) versions being 'pre-emptive' and cheap, however, the CPU/AI is much more intelligent and balanced in the PS1 version. This is the 1st version I ever owned - living in the UK, this was the ONLY KOF for years to be released over here (on the SAT too!). However, the PS1 version was superior IMO DUE TO a superior AST (which I prefer to the OST) and also the AI was much MUCH more balanced. There's a bit of loading, but I think you'd be surprised at how good the PS1 version actually is... pretty damn faithful, and a good testament to the rumour that the PS1 cannot do '2D'... it can!

I COULD EASILY... talk about this game all day long. In a 2-player, I struggle to find a KOF that matches my gaming tastes quite as well. I didn't play 96 till some years later and didn't welcome the changes made to the characters with open arms if I were honest. I know I'm in a minority, and I know 96 is a fave of many, but for me it feels really sloppy in comparison to the sharpness and accuracy I get from 95. PPL like Andy & Mai were savaged in my opinion - 2 of my fave characters. I like 'new' moves Kyo now... but not until the NESTS series. I always steer well clear 96-98 and I ALWAYS use him 99 onwards (& 95 too of course Wink) AS A 2 PLAYER... I find 95 hard to beat. Unless you've been juggled everywhere by a combo genius, which my friends aren't, I struggle to find a KOF as fair (i.e. no disagreements on who hit who or hit/move preferences.)

I'M HAVING TO PHYSICALLY STOP MYSELF TYPING MORE ABOUT THIS GAME... I THINK I NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP LOL

rbelmonte171
i'm with neogeoninja all day i LOVE KoF 95

HexElf
Just a copy paste on a previous entry I made of this game...

"5. KOF95 (any version, any console)

- I can still play this little baby for nostalgia alone and I still think this is where the series really took off because it absolutely destroys the prequel in every single area (just like KOF98 would later do to KOF97 in my opinion) aside from maybe the final boss fight. As it is now KOF95 is a solid example of a good old-school brawler with a particular nod to the stellar backgrounds that still holds up even compared to the later games in the series. Do I need to mention that one of the most recognizable characters in the series, Iori Yagami, made his debut here? Thought not ;D"

All in all I think it could serve as an excellent introduction to the series. It's technical for the time but still simple enough, by today's standards, that you can jump almost right in and just enjoy the stellar cast and the introduction to the Orochi Saga. Backgrounds are some of the best the series ever had. Especially the "elevator" thing with dynamic walls. Very cool.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
RiKo
I haven't played KOF95 much since I really like the 96 version so I tend to play that. I will definitely give this a go in the High Score Challenge though, I think this is the first KOF where you can make custom teams using the EDIT facility, I started with KOF 2002 - and I love making my own teams, so I glad they introduced this feature!
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
broken harbours
HexElf wrote:
- I can still play this little baby for nostalgia alone and I still think this is where the series really took off because it absolutely destroys the prequel in every single area (just like KOF98 would later do to KOF97 in my opinion) aside from maybe the final boss fight. As it is now KOF95 is a solid example of a good old-school brawler with a particular nod to the stellar backgrounds that still holds up even compared to the later games in the series. Do I need to mention that one of the most recognizable characters in the series, Iori Yagami, made his debut here? Thought not ;D"

All in all I think it could serve as an excellent introduction to the series. It's technical for the time but still simple enough, by today's standards, that you can jump almost right in and just enjoy the stellar cast and the introduction to the Orochi Saga. Backgrounds are some of the best the series ever had. Especially the "elevator" thing with dynamic walls. Very cool.

couldn't agree more! Clap

this was my introduction to kof, and if i'm going to recommend a game to introduce the series to someone who's never heard of kyo, iori or orochi, it would be this.

" we welcome new victims, er, teams. break a spine..... (r)"

i'll never forget the excitement felt i when i first saw these words gently glow in front of me in the dingy back portion of some greasy takeaway "called a matter of taste". fumbling through my pockets amongst lint and house keys the time it took for my adolescent fingers to find that grubby 50 pence piece i knew i had somewhere seemed like an eternity. however, when i finally succeeded the experience that ensued was nothing short of a video game epiphany

since being blown away by screenshots of aof on the neo and reading about the characters and shortly acquiring my then coveted copy of fatal fury on the megadrive i always liked snk. so when i saw screenshots of this in a magazine as a youngster, i couldn't wait to get my hands on it in the arcade. i often thought about how exactly a match between robert and terry would pan out. i was desperate to find about these mysterious new characters of kyo and iori because they looked like nothing i'd ever seen in a fighting game at that point, i sometimes wondered about different combinations of characters in my teams and pondered possible stories as to how they got together.

so when i finally played it in 1996, i fell head over heels in love with snk. the experience of being able to make up teams and in some cases have them wearing similarly coloured outfits felt liberating, the cut scenes made me eagerly anticipate the next stage. not knowing the moves but discovering them was truly rewarding, no matter how many game over screens or how many silver coins i shoved into that mvs in the process. i had high hopes for this and in an era in which primal rage, street fighter: the movie, ballz, clayfighter and shaq fu were recent memories i was blown away by the way in which this game exceeded everything i hoped it would be. and then some.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Well... here we are! HANDS DOWN, my 'favourite' KOF ever!

I love everything about this game - I mainly love the fact that this game still represents the AOF & FF characters in similar renditions to their standalone game counterparts (especially the FF characters!).

I also love all the music for the levels, the background designs are great, the SFX - particularly the voice samples of characters from their native games - are awesome!

LIKE POWERWAVE SAID... there are issues with the CPU on the SAT (and Neo) versions being 'pre-emptive' and cheap, however, the CPU/AI is much more intelligent and balanced in the PS1 version. This is the 1st version I ever owned - living in the UK, this was the ONLY KOF for years to be released over here (on the SAT too!). However, the PS1 version was superior IMO DUE TO a superior AST (which I prefer to the OST) and also the AI was much MUCH more balanced. There's a bit of loading, but I think you'd be surprised at how good the PS1 version actually is... pretty damn faithful, and a good testament to the rumour that the PS1 cannot do '2D'... it can!

i remember renting this out countless times and searching everywhere for a second hand copy but alas to no avail. Real Sad sure, the loading times were annoying and broke up the flow of the game but the character animation was pretty accurate, although having said that it was never great to start with, but these are about the only faults i could find with this game.

Powerwave wrote:
i enjoyed playing this game alot on my saturn however i'm not as keen on the old school kof's the ai can be cheap and the game doesn't flow as well as say kof 97.

it may seem masochistic, but that's precisely why i love this game and why, nostalgia aside, it has endured for me. compared to later installments of the series '95 can feel clunky and rudimentary but that's precisely its charm. if you ask me; its like a tool in that in order to get the most from it you have to work within its parameters. if you approach it like the later kof's or sf alpha 3 or 3rd strike you're pretty much doomed. to beat this game you you have to practice those fiddly dms and odd special moves, you have to both plan ahead with combos yet still be able to pull them off with the tightest of timing. moreover you must be able to think strategically about your choice of characters and how you order them.

unlike other fighting games where their systems are explained to you straight off the bat this game doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and that's the point. if you get it right, (say you time that sdm perfectly and suddenly snatch victory from the jaws of defeat) the rewards will be all the more sweeter. if you get it wrong, you will be dust. you can never rest on your laurels as the tide in a match can change in the flick of a microswitch.

what's more, as you keep hitting start to continue and replay the same stage all over again, you start noticing all the little details in the backgrounds, the little introductions to each stage, and the wonderful music that has been tailored to suit each setting perfectly. take for example, the way in which the lone cello and the rhythmic creaking of the wood in the aof team stage suits the rich warm colours of the lift and sublime animation, or how the splashes of the piano/keyboard melody in the ff team stage compliment the fact that you're fighting whilst splashing about in shallow water, or how the brass, distorted guitars and marching band drum match the chaotic tone of the ikari team's stage. i could go on, but suffice to say kof '95 had that rare aesthetic combination of consistency and character that'97 and all the other kof's since 99 seemed to have lost. in '95, every background and the spectators have as much personality as the fighters.

because of all this, i don't think this game was ever really "bettered" by '96 or even perhaps '98 for that matter. rather, i get the impression that after they finished kof '95 the staff at snk sat back and said to themselves: "well done chaps, that game was a jolly good show, now let's try our hands at making something that's different". the fact that kof '96 turned out to be so great is merely testament to how great a developer snk were.

to me kof '95 and '96 are two very different sides of the same shiny, timeless coin.

Kazuya_UK
Right now I can't really add much to what I already said in my review (one of my better KOF ones I think as I went a bit more in-depth), but KOF '95 is still as awesome as ever. Had a little blast again today and I still love it.

I did add a couple of minor extras to the first post this week - you guys like? If there's anything else you want to see included each week please tell me! Thumbs Up

Kaz

Kazuya_UK
broken harbours wrote:to me kof '95 and '96 are two very different sides of the same shiny, timeless coin.

You know what, I don't think I could possibly put it any better! Smile

Not too many replies again to this GotW thread, expected more for a KOF game. I guess everyone is still suffering from a post festive season hangover though so it's understandable! Grin

Kaz

reelmojo
I haven't been on the internet lately so I missed this while it was still GOTW. As I've stated more than once since I joined this site, KoF '95 was my introduction to the series. A friend of mine who I played Street Fighter with a lot (mostly SSFII and Champion Edition at the time) got it on a PS1 demo disc and I remember him being really excited to play against me. I don't even remember who you could play as in the demo, but I'm pretty sure it was Kyo if not Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro. I bought it shortly afterward and absolutely loved it. The graphics, the music, the presentation... it was all familiar enough for a Capcom fan to jump right into, yet different enough to feel totally fresh. Load times be damned, I loved every minute of it.

Also, Athena singing her own ending theme was priceless.

Raiken
First KOF I ever played and it's got some of the best music imo.
oi39.tinypic.com/2mzw2rs.jpg

Ruderudie
KOF 95 is really still a great game, although i find 96 better. I really like the old school KOF's more, because i have played them in the arcade and i didn't play the 2000+ KOF's other than at home. Also a lot more character in the older KOF's i think, i get all happy when i play them. I think it's the color pallet, music and reminiscing combined. The darker and newer KOF's get lots less play.

RiKo
I actually have played this game now (badly) for last week's High Score Challenge so I can now comment on it!

Well I love the backgrounds - why didn't they do nice bright colourful background like this for KOF02? All the stages I have seen so far are great. I love the stage especially with the tree that has been struck by lightning and you can see all the long grass blowing in the wind in the foreground.

There's so much variety in the stages. Its great when Terry throws his cap off on the sea stage (sorry I never know the proper name for anything) and it floats off with the current. I love little touches like this (and the monkey) - I guess its called attention to detail!

Personally I thought the music was pretty good but I don't think it was so much to my taste. I like strong hooks and distinct themes and I felt it was in general a bit freeform (jazzy?). A fair number of other people seem to like it - so its probably just me!

Gameplay wise this seemed pretty good, so yeah a big Thumbs Up (thumbs-up)
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
Hey Riko! Glad you liked '95. I'm impressed that even after all these years it can still work its charm. This is 'probably' my fave KOF ever I think (even though I like ALL KOF's I still BELIEVE that 03&XI are the 'most playable' and for me most enjoyable... But for me, 95 is where it all began. 94 was (oddly) the last KOF I played out of all of them, due to it's unavailability on any other system bar the AES/MVS... until the last couple of years. Crazy! Shock

Jump to Forum: