Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Orchid
Thread ID: 1431
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6276 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Saturn Metal Slug question
Orchid
Hi, I'm new here and I need your help. I decided to have some Metal Slug 1 goodness.
So, the AES cart is too expensive for me, and MVS - well since I'm such a newbie, I'm not quite prepared for all the superguns/consolised MVS'es things right now.

So, my only options are the neocd and saturn versions. (I don't consider the anthology for my own reasons and psone version because it is kinda bad).

I cannot afford neocd console right now (some time later maybe), but I can play the cd with emulator. OR I can play the saturn version on my saturn console.

So, the question is: how does the saturn Metal Slug stands against the neocd one? How much animation is cut? Is it worth it at all or I should buy a neocd version instead (and play it with emulator)?
Edited by Orchid on 26. December 2008 09:12

Midian
What's wrong with Metal Slug Anthology though? I think the game is a great port.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Hey Orchid! Merry Xmas by the way Wink

Like Midian said, DEPENDING on where you reside, the anthology is an awesome port. Unfortunately, if you live in the UK (like myself, or indeed Europe) the chances are you will only have access to the PAL 'Anthology' which sadly does not have a '60Hz' option and runs in 50Hz only at 2/3rds of the screen size.

HOWEVER, I decided to invest in a JP PS2 a years or so ago and grabbed myself the JP Metal Slug collection (called Metal Slug Complete). This runs @60hz and the ports are pretty much AES/MVS perfect (as far as I'm aware). ALTERNATIVELY... if you live in the US, I'm giong to assume that the MEtal Slug Anthology there is 60Hz too. Seemingly it's only here in the UK that we get a raw deal, which is unusual, considering all of SNKP/Ignitions releases have ALWAYS had a 60Hz option here in Europe Hmm

ALSO... please consider that you get 7 METAL SLUGS (!!!) on the one disc too, including MS6, which is an AtomisWave only release (aside a release on the PS2, stand alone & part of the 'Anthology'... Shame '7' is DS only... it really sucks, but hey Shrug )

AS FOR THE SATURN VERSION... I do own this, but I've never actually played it. It use the 1MB Ram cart, and based on my other Saturn SNK ports that use it, it should be pretty darn good. Maybe someone here can give you hands on.

AES_Collector
I have the Ps2/PAL version of the Slug Anthology. In my opinion, it is unplayable. It suffers from input delays, as has been discussed before.

NeoGeoNinja, do you know if the Ps2/Jap Metal Slug Complete suffers from the input delay? I've been thinking about getting this Jap version.
Edited by AES_Collector on 26. December 2008 17:41
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
ALSO... please consider that you get 7 METAL SLUGS (!!!) on the one disc too, including MS6, which is an AtomisWave only release (aside a release on the PS2, stand alone & part of the 'Anthology'... Shame '7' is DS only... it really sucks, but hey Shrug )

I really love Metal Slug 6. Despite what a lot of people say about this game, I think it's great (at least better than 4 and 5...I do like 5 though). I have the Atomiswave version and I still pop it in the motherboard to have some fun with it. I only have one small problem with MS 6 and that's the fact that the AW version does NOT have any blood...not that that really matters, because the majority of all bad guys are aliens anyway. Good things about MS6 are the fact that you can choose from more characters than before (Ralf and Clark are included), there's a lot of variation between levels (with only one small part that sucks a bit...the drilling sequence), it has some secret routes again and the final Boss battle is awesome. Finally I think it really has the MS feel to it that MS4 (and part of MS5) lacked. It will never surpass MS3 or MSX, but it does a bloody good job trying.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

merlin
Welcome to NGFL Orchid! Smile

Like the others have said the Metal Slug anthology is definitely worth buying for the PS2. Like NeoGeoNinja I've also got NTSC-J Metal Slug Complete and am very happy with it. The input seems perfect to me AES collector.

Regarding the Saturn and Neo Geo CD versions ... well the Neo Geo CD Metal Slug is identical to the arcade original except for some very short loading time between levels and you get a new survival mode option. I've never played the Saturn version but looking at reviews and a few videos on youtube I can tell it's very close to the Neo Geo original.

I agree that Metal Slug 6 is a pretty good game.

Midian
I played the Wii version of Metal Slug Anthology (PAL) and I don't remember the 50hz bothering me. The only thing that bothered me that in the later Metal Slugs there were a bit of load times, but these were only seconds.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Orchid
Thanks for the answers, you've got me interested in the Anthology Smile

Also I hope to get my hands on the MVS cart sometime in the future Pray I really dig the first 'slug!

AES_Collector
merlin wrote:
Welcome to NGFL Orchid! Smile

Like the others have said the Metal Slug anthology is definitely worth buying for the PS2. Like NeoGeoNinja I've also got NTSC-J Metal Slug Complete and am very happy with it. The input seems perfect to me AES collector.

Thanks! I will check it out, then!

Btw, have you (or anyone else here) played both the PAL and NTSC-J version of the Slug Anthology and compared them?
Edited by AES_Collector on 29. December 2008 18:43
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

NeoGeoNinja
Hi AES_Collector...

I thought I'd mentioned it earlier, but upon reading back, perhaps I didn't:

I own both the PAL & NTSC-J versions of the 'anthology' (PS2 only)

The NTSC-J version had NO input lag and is near enough AES/MVS perfect (aside a tiny couple of seconds loading time between level sections!)

The PAL version, to be honest, I've never really bothered with it as it lacked a 60Hz mode, and literally has a border a 1/4 of the screen at the bottom of the screen!

I WOULD ALWAYS suggest getting 'Metal Slug Complete/NTSC-J' over the PAL anthology, however, if you don't have facilities to play the JP version, the UK one will do... especially as you can probably pick it up in your local GameStation for a Fiver!

AES_Collector
Ah, okay! Thanks, I will check out the Japanese version then!

Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

rbelmonte171
Also agree the MS 6 is a great game i play it alot....

THX-1138
Get the PS2 version of Metal Slug Anthology, the Wii version has bad controls and annoying load times. Also from what i've heard, the version of Metal Slug 6 on the Anthology is really bad, it apparently looks and plays terrible compared to the stand alone PS2 version of Metal Slug 6.
castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cotm/links/logos/m-dracxj.gif

dhowerter
Got to remember this stuff ;-)

bayoubilly
Hey Orchid !

I had the Metal Slug Saturn version as well as the Metal Slug Neo Geo CD one.

I must admit that the Saturn one is a bit better for one reason : it had the 1 Mo (or perhaps greater than that) that allow this version to have faster loading times than the Neo Geo CD one.

Graphics and sound are the same for both versions.

But be careful it only applies if you play Metal Slug on a Neo Geo CD console and not on a Neo Geo CDZ which has a faster CD Rom player.

I had numerous others SNK Saturn ports and I guess that you can say the same thing for those ports too, you will have faster loading times on the Saturn. Note that for some fighting games the sprites size were decreased on the Saturn version than in the Neo Geo one in order for the games to run smoothly.

Anyway I will always prefer to play SNK games on the Neo Geo AES/MVS or CD/Z. Franco
Edited by bayoubilly on 16. April 2012 19:16

http://www.alpacino-fanclub.com
Chiba3010
bayoubilly wrote:
Hey Orchid !

I had the Metal Slug Saturn version as well as the Metal Slug Neo Geo CD one.

I must admit that the Saturn one is a bit better for one reason : it had the 1 Mo (or perhaps greater than that) that allow this version to have faster loading times than the Neo Geo CD one.

Graphics and sound are the same for both versions.

But be careful it only applies if you play Metal Slug on a Neo Geo CD console and not on a Neo Geo CDZ which has a faster CD Rom player.

I had numerous others SNK Saturn ports and I guess that you can say the same thing for those ports too, you will have faster loading times on the Saturn. Note that for some fighting games the sprites size were decreased on the Saturn version than in the Neo Geo one in order for the games to run smoothly.

I have the Saturn port as well and agree with all of Billy's assessments Thumbs Up

Anyway I will always prefer to play SNK games on the Neo Geo AES/MVS or CD/Z. Franco

Also VERY much agreed! Wink Though if you can't go the AES or MVS route, I'd also recommend the Saturn ports as the next best option from my experiences playing them! Back in the day a PS1-owning friend would just get livid over how inferior the SNK ports were on his particular system of choiceLOL

Jump to Forum: