3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 1412
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 25318 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
How do you feel about Samurai Shodown?
An absolute classic! An absolute classic! 50%[15 Votes]
It's not bad, but not great It's not bad, but not great 13%[4 Votes]
Rubbish Rubbish 0%[0 Votes]
I like it but Samurai Shodown II is better! I like it but Samurai Shodown II is better! 27%[8 Votes]
I haven't played it but I am going to try it and report back! I haven't played it but I am going to try it and report back! 7%[2 Votes]
Not at all interested Not at all interested 3%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 30
 Print Thread
Samurai Shodown Discussion
Kazuya_UK
NOTE: This was a previous Game of the Week thread!

Samurai Shodown:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/samurai_shodown/samurai_shodown_flyer_small.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: One on one fighter
Meg Count: 118 MB
Players: 1 or 2 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Also available on the Wii Virtual Console as well as SNK Classics Vol. 1 for the PS2/PSP, as well as many ports to other systems at the time.

Brief Description:

In 1993, a weapons based fighting game was released into arcades, cementing SNK as one of the best developers around. Samurai Shodown was the name, and although it has since been surpassed (in my opinion at least) by many of its sequels, it is a true classic.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_112/samshotitle.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_112/samshointro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_112/samshoselect.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_112/samsho1.jpeg

Review:

Review by Kazuya_UK:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=116

Videos:

Arcade Longplay (Haohmaru):

YouTube Video

Other Media

Samurai Shodown music is available in the SNK Jukebox!

Click here -->

You can also play the music from Galfords stage here (OST):

MP3
Kazuya_UK attached the following file:
samurai_shodown.txt [44.65kB / 82 Downloads]

Edited by Kazuya_UK on 21. December 2008 21:19
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
david414e
I first played this game on my 3D0, it was very playable. The controller I had for the 3DO was the streetfighter 2 pad. The Neo pads just don't feel as responsive with this game, so I don't really enjoy SS1 on the Neo. I have the large Neo rectangular controllers and the smaller snes shaped pads too. Does anyone have any views as to what the best responsiveness pad/stick is out there for the Neo?

What's the rules too about posting queries like this in threads which are about something else?!

Peace out

Powerwave
a great game although i own and prefer the second game i still think this is a worthy title my personal fave fighter is jubei

Kazuya_UK
It's ok to ask, although you are more than welcome to open up a thread for it. Usually if a thread gets sidetracked a little too much from the main subject I would suggest opening a thread so it can be talked about more in depth there! Thumbs Up

As for the control on Samurai Shodown... I really do find the classic Neo Geo stick by FAR the best controller for it. I can barely imagine playing the game any other way. Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Zakatek
My local arcade had only Samurai Shodown IV and i really liked it. I didn't play first game much but i can play it while it is game of the week.

AES_Collector
I really like Shodown 1. I don't know why but for some reason I think it looks better graphically than its sequel.
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

RiKo
I asked my brother to get me Samurai Shodown II, and he got this one by mistake. I think I like the front cover better, but I haven't really seen it since he got it for me.

I remember seeing screenshots for this game when it first came out along with Nam and Golf. This was when the Neo first came out - it looked amazing. There was always a whirlwind thing in the screenshot. Those was the days when no one could afford a Neo Grin

Just out of interest how do people hold their Neo Geo sticks - I always use a couple of fingers and thumb, but I always wonder if I am holding it right. I've always wondered if anyone goes for a full handed hold. I'm not sure I could move it so accurately with that.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
The first Samurai Shodown really is a classic game which even though it's been improved upon by later games in the series is still great fun to play. The character designs are varied and very appealing my favourites being Nakoruru, Galford and Hanzo. The idea of characters having animals which fight alongside them was a great idea.

Graphics look very nice and of course the zoom feature looks impressive. I love Haohmaru's/Ukyo's background on the shore with the mountain in the background and waves crashing against the rocks. That still impresses me every time I see it.

I like the fact that there are bonus rounds in this game. It adds a little bit of variety. Why did bonus rounds go out of fashion? I sometimes think this game sometimes gets a little bit overlooked. I think people new to the series should definitely start with this first installment...a classic fighting game and the start of one of the greatest series of fighting games ever made.

Just out of interest how do people hold their Neo Geo sticks - I always use a couple of fingers and thumb, but I always wonder if I am holding it right. I've always wondered if anyone goes for a full handed hold. I'm not sure I could move it so accurately with that.

I do the same RiKo. I just use my thumb and a couple of fingers on the stick. That seems fine to me.

david414e like Kaz said the original Neo joysticks are the best. The stick and buttons are very responsive. One of the best joysticks I've used.
Edited by merlin on 14. December 2008 21:40

priest
david414e wrote:
I first played this game on my 3D0, it was very playable. The controller I had for the 3DO was the streetfighter 2 pad. The Neo pads just don't feel as responsive with this game, so I don't really enjoy SS1 on the Neo. I have the large Neo rectangular controllers and the smaller snes shaped pads too. Does anyone have any views as to what the best responsiveness pad/stick is out there for the Neo?

What's the rules too about posting queries like this in threads which are about something else?!

Peace out

Like Kaz said before, the original stick. I personally prefer my Hori stick and I also use my Neo geo cd joypad controllers (Being somewhat "Nintendo-damaged"-these works just fine to me Wink )

This was one of the first games that made me realise that SNK were not copycats to what Capcom were doing back in the days. Great games still highly entertaining Thumbs Up

Favorite character: Gen An

www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/genan-lick.gif

"No one calls me a freak and lives, no one but my wife"
Edited by priest on 14. December 2008 22:48
img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

img339.imageshack.us/img339/6738/1032017122.th.jpg

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
I had this on the 3DO originally (along with SSFIIX/Turbo). Aside the loading times form the CD, this was a very good port, as the graphics were super sharp and the SFX & Music were CD quality too.

However, I didn't get the 3DO till well into the PSX/Saturn/N64 era and got it on the cheap - Before this I had already been seriously hammering Samurai Shodown 3 on the PSX. It wasn't a great port (I didn't know this at the time... I was only about 13-14 and wasn't too clued up on framerates and missing frames etc) but I massively enjoyed it! It came out here in the UK at exactly the same time as '95 & Real Bout. Those 3 games were seriously hammered in my youth... SERIOUSLY HAMMERED Grin

Seeing as I got SS1 a fair few years after SS3 (and SS2 wasn't available on much but AES/MVS) I didn't really enjoy it as much as I felt 3 was a massive advancement.

I recently got the Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shoubu (SSanthology) for the PS2 and played all 6 (except Vspecial :( ) back to back. I liked 3 & 4 & 5 the most over 1 & 2... and 6 I just dont get?!

I prefer 3 & 4 due to personal preferences like the change in art direction, the 4 button combat system... it just makes more sense, 2 versions of each character (my faves being 'Treacherous' Galford (no poppy) & 'Chivalrous' Kazuki (the man!), and I prefer the character rosters and the way they play in 3 & 4... they just feel so much better imo... I like how the attacks feel deeper and more impactful... and 3,4&5 feel more (weird I know) neo-geo... you know, big beefy characters, OTT SFX, awesome soundtrack etc. 5 is also good but I miss the 2 versions of 1 character.

My order of preference is: 4,3,5,2,1,6. (Vspecial is not available on a home console EXCEPT AES as yet... I'm dying to play it as it looks awesome... especially the art direction!)

Yao
I absolutely love this game. It is the reason why i fell in love with the NeoGeo, and it is probably my favorite game of all times. I was a 12 when it came out and I saw the demo at a local games shop. I just couldn't believe my eyes. It was like somebody created a game just for meSmile
So I saved all my money for a long time and got me a used NeoGeo with SS1
I rarely play it today, cause I always get emotional when I play it, and I want this to stay something special. Objectively I think SS4 is the best of the series.
Its the music, the graphics, the characters, the atmosphere...just everything!
Thank you SNK

Yao

RiKo
Hello Yao - nice to meet you Grin You can post a thread about yourself in the Arrivals/Departure section of the site - so we can all welcome you. Enjoy the site Grin - It sounds like you really like Neo Geo.

Well I played Samurai Spirits/Shodown for the first time today. I haven't got used to the way it plays yet which is a lot different to other fighters. The enemies block me a lot which can be a bit annoying. What does the super bar do? I can't find any supers (yet). This is an earlyish game so maybe it doesn't have supers?
I absolutely love the backgrounds - all other fighters should take note of the variety and the beautiful scenery. The music and sound effects are all excellent too.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Zakatek
After playing Samurai Shodown 4 for a long time i can say this: Why Nakoruru is so big or tall? Grin I prefer little Nakoruru.

Yao
Hey RiKo, thanks for the warm welcomeSmile
Yes its true I really love the NeoGeo. I will soon post a thread in the arrivals section so that you guys all know a little something about me.
Since SS1 is one of the early fighters there are no supers. The power bar just effects the efficience of your "normal" attacks. the angrier you are, the more powerful your attacks are. So its not very spectecular. I guess if you start playing SS1 today it may appear too old. But at the time it came out it was simply breath taking, and I still get that feeling when I play itSmile

so I'm happy to see that i is game of the week

SteveDave
SS2 still gets most of my attention, but SS1 will always get brownie points from me.

A great start for a great series Thumbs Up
Edited by SteveDave on 17. December 2008 05:24
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

Kurisu
Brilliant and seemingly as good as "2", but probably not after extended play. The only problem with this series is working out the order of the games and what equates to what in each region. Although I have a Jap SS2, and the title screen says that (I have a US AES), the box seems to suggest its title is not SS2 but something far more complicated, Can someone please point me to the definitive answer?
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

david414e
I feel that SS2's difficulty setting gets too high too quickly, I feel I need to use the most rangiest attacks and then repeat quickly jumping back. I fear I may never get past about the fourth fight on about difficulty setting 3! (I could beat most peopple on streetfighter 2 on the snes with one hand, i.e. just use the d stick and the L shoulder button alone) this must say something about this game, am I mising the point?

Vexan
Well here's what I can say about the Samurai Shodown series

The only Samurai Showdown I've played was the first one for Neo Geo, and I also played the first one on Super Nintendo, however, Its an awesome Neo Geo game, I really liked it, even tho some of the songs are annoying ( Two notes only.. ) reapeatitiveness.

I really liked the combat, I voted : Not bad but not great Because I din't play Samurai Showdown 2-3-4-5-6, only the first one, but I seriously intend to buy Samurai Showdown Anthology, Because its overall a really fun game, I hope to learn more about the series when I'll buy the Anthology, because its really interesting and its one of SNK's biggest classic games.

www.freewebs.com/rockmanfullmoon
Mr Vengeance
Vexan wrote:
Well here's what I can say about the Samurai Shodown series

The only Samurai Showdown I've played was the first one for Neo Geo, and I also played the first one on Super Nintendo, however, Its an awesome Neo Geo game, I really liked it, even tho some of the songs are annoying ( Two notes only.. ) reapeatitiveness.

I really liked the combat, I voted : Not bad but not great Because I din't play Samurai Showdown 2-3-4-5-6, only the first one, but I seriously intend to buy Samurai Showdown Anthology, Because its overall a really fun game, I hope to learn more about the series when I'll buy the Anthology, because its really interesting and its one of SNK's biggest classic games.

Whats the deal with Anthology? Has it ever seen a PAL release?

NeoGeoNinja
It will do: http://www.igniti...m/home.htm (click on the red 'click for more games bar at the bottom of the page.

As you can see, Ignition plan to release KOF98:UM too, which is great news for us all in the UK (I already have the JAP version, but I always buy the UK release too.) It also means my friends, who cannot play JAP games can buy this game and play it too... which means eventually VS goodness!

I love the SamSho games. BUT FOR ME... SS4 is easily the best one of the lot. SS3 is my favourite, but I think SS4 is the best of the series. (both then followed by 5 for me)

I do like SS1 & SS2, but I started with '3' and thats the style of the SSgames I prefer (4 button system, BIG neo-geo graphics, brash SFX etc... OH and SS3 had Zankuro... amazing)

Ninja

Jump to Forum: