Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: cthulhu
Thread ID: 1336
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3008 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gaming art
cthulhu
Which games would you consider to be art? Not many games would be catagorized as art, so which games really stand out among the huge amount of (ordinary) games available and are totally unique?
The games I can think of would be:
- Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi (The Last Blade)
- Bakumatsu Roman Daini Tobari: Gekka no Kenshi (The Last Blade 2)
- Guwange
- Ikaruga (mostly because of it's unique controls) and visual style)
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Powerwave
i would consider the old atari 2600 games as art they bring an abstract issue to the game and we can see the paralels between these abstract shapes and what they are (meant) to represent. one in partiular that springs to mind is yars revenge, as for neo geo games i too think that last blade stands up to being a form of art

RiKo
Thats a difficult one Cthulhu. Personally I do think games can be classified as art in their own right. I agree with you very much with The Last Blade Games. Not sure with Ikaruga because I haven't spent much time with it yet.

I have to be a bit obvious and say Rez and Jet Set Radio (Very original when it came out, and nice tunes). Okami looks beautiful but I haven't played it very much, and I get annoyed by that squeaky thing.

I would also go for the Metal Slug games - even the sunsets are beautiful, and the character and animation is superb. I also would say Garou MOTW - so much has been put into it both gfx and thought, and great styling.

I also really like games on Vector displays, like Asteroids and Vectrex games. They are like the minimalism of the gaming world!

Gradius V is like a work of art - I think you can create a work of art the way you play it too.

To summerise mine are : Last Blade games
Metal Slug series
Gradius V
Rez
Jet Set Radio
Asteroids (on vector display)
Garou : MOTW
Edited by RiKo on 08. November 2008 22:30
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
cthulhu
Forgot about Okami.
My arcade stuff

THX-1138
Last Blade 1/2 definately. And good call on Gunwange, amazing game.

I'll add:

Snatcher
Pro Gear
Space Invaders
PuRiLa

Zakatek
I think KOF XII can be added.

RiKo
I was thinking about this - and I really like the original 2D Sonic the Hedgehog - there's a lot of art in there - a beautiful abstract landscape in front of a blue ocean and a cobalt-blue hedgehog running blistering speeds. Great game too Smile
I also love watching Nights (Saturn) because of the mix of 2D sprite scaling and 3D landscape and its very dreamy, and also the original Outrun is very iconic.

Powerwave - good call on the Atari games. I like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and is it Friday 13th (or Halloween?). There's something about those horror games when put into chunky pixel form and bleepy music.

Has anyone noticed that interactive displays they have in art galleries these days - are actually no where near as exciting as video games?
Edited by RiKo on 09. November 2008 14:27
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Shiny
Myst? Pictionary?

I'm with cthulhu on Last Blade and Guwange. Though almost all of Cave's shmups probably deserve a mention here...

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... I consider, among others, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Rolling Thunder 2, Super Mario World, Day of the Tentacle, and the the flawless Half-Life 2 to be works of art. I'm sure others would disagree.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

merlin
It's a bit of a difficult question to answer I think. I do agree about The Last Blade. That could definitely be desribed as being a work of art. Every thing about it is perfection. One thing I always love is those little intro sequences before each stage. They may quite simple but they are very appealing.

TES3 Morrowind and TES4 Oblivion I think could qualify too. I've never come across a gamimg world which is so beautiful, with so much detail and filled with interesting places and characters.

Lastly I'm going to nominate Capcom's Knights of the Round because that game truly is a work of art.

cthulhu
Myst...that's a good one.
About Cave games, yes they're all great games if not the best shmups ever, but Guwange really stands out amongst all of them. It has it's own feel and even the controls are something different...the fact that you aren't flying, but are on foot and can walk into things brings a whole new strategy to get through a level.
Also I think Snatcher is really a nice choice.
Just though about another one...Prince of Persia.
My arcade stuff

garu21
Okami
The Last Blade series & SS series
the Fear Effect series
the Silent Hill series
Space Channel 5
View Point
...... and 2 fighting games for CPS3 forgot theire names Roll Eyes
[img][/img]

phry
I guess that if any game isn't generic of derivative, then it can be considered art. Just think of the paralells between good level design and architecture - unique design with a purpose is a form of art in itself, let alone the other possibilities for art that games provide may it be in writing, music or well-crafted visuals.

However a truely arty game i think is one that divides an audience or encourages debate. I'd consider GTA4 as art, purely for its fine satire alone, or Killer 7 with it's unique visual style treading a fine line between minimalist and surrealist.

Games as art? I think that any games that are art themselves are in a real minority. However they do provide a showcase for many different artists. It'll be a while before many people take the idea of 'games as art' seriously, but I guess that's no different to the early days of cinema where many narrow-minded peopel dismissed 'moving pictures' as having little more than novelty value.

Jump to Forum: