Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 1329
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7925 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KoF: The Orochi Saga for PS2 and PSP
reelmojo
I saw that this just came out in the states and I plan on picking up the PS2 version tomorrow. Has anyone played it yet? Are the load times good? How about the PSP version? I'd expect longer load times on the PSP, but what I'd really be worried about is how well the d-pad would work.

KoF '95 was my first in the series (the PS1 version) and I spent a lot of time with an emulated '98 but I've never even touched '94, '96, or '97. Having all 5 on one disk almost seems too good to be true.
Edited by reelmojo on 02. November 2008 23:29

Carmen
I wonder how the US pack will be compared to the Japanese one. Anyway as far as the Japanese one goes its great but there is no practice mode added (like the Real Bout pack had added) and the lack of BGM in 97 is not addressed with the "arrange" sound option. You're lucky you get 98 as well Thumbs Up
"Mercy on the Earth"

reelmojo
Yeah, I plan on using this version of '98 to practice so that I'm ready for online play when KoF '98 UM hits XBox Live Arcade. It wasn't included in the Japanese version? That would explain why Gamespot says it's included in KoF: Nests.

Carmen
lol at how incompetent GS is, it isn't in NESTs either Roll Eyes
"Mercy on the Earth"

rbelmonte171
i just got it today, and let me tell you i'm DONE supporting snk playmore usa or ignition or whoever is putting this games here in the US. they had good intentions don't give me wrong there is practice there is challenge mode but the loads are so long at times that you may just fall asleep
and on KOF 98 before the round starts the girls says round one ready then there is a mix of go and perfect all at the same time that just becomes a mess very desapointed once again not even close to the Japanese version...

Carmen
rbelmonte171 wrote:
i just got it today, and let me tell you i'm DONE supporting snk playmore usa or ignition or whoever is putting this games here in the US. they had good intentions don't give me wrong there is practice there is challenge mode but the loads are so long at times that you may just fall asleep
and on KOF 98 before the round starts the girls says round one ready then there is a mix of go and perfect all at the same time that just becomes a mess very desapointed once again not even close to the Japanese version...

It doesn't just load the ROMs? I would imagine since the discs are not much more then a collection of Neo ROMs once it loads them it should be arcade perfect (unless they're emulating NGCD)
"Mercy on the Earth"

Zakatek
How can they do that? KOF 98 UM has a near arcade perfect port of KOF 98 ( i guess you wait just 1 or 2 seconds more before stages but no loading time between rounds) i don't understand how do they make something like that. :|
Edited by Zakatek on 04. November 2008 09:42

THX-1138
SNK Playmore USA suck balls, but i live in the UK so i don't have to put up with them. BUT i do have to put up with Ignition, who are a joke, their ports are poor and they never stick to their release dates. Now all you American fans have to put up with both SNKP USA and Igntion! I feel sorry for you guys.

I'd rather put up with the fact that the games take forever to get a PAL release (did you guys know we only got Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1 and World Heroes Anthology the last Friday just gone? :rolleyesSmile than put up with those two.

rbelmonte171
i have always got both versions the jap (it always comes out first) then the US it's very cheap 20 bucks at the most kof XI was 14 but they keep on changing release dates then games come out and nobody has them the even ask you to register the games for warranty and all but the web site to register doesn't even has the newer games on it yet, no wonder why people here in the US don't care for snk they only put trash out....

Raiken
That's a shame. I import pretty much all my stuff though so it doesn't bother me personally.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

THX-1138
The release dates are so crazy, it looks like we are getting KOF 98: UM in Europe this year, isn't coming out in the US in 2009?

RiKo
THX - Will KOF 98 UM be coming out on Neo Geo AES? I know its a long shot, but RetroGamer magazine said it was, though I suspected it was probably a mistake.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
THX-1138
RiKo wrote:
THX - Will KOF 98 UM be coming out on Neo Geo AES? I know its a long shot, but RetroGamer magazine said it was, though I suspected it was probably a mistake.

Unfortunately no because it didn't use the MVS hardware, it was developed on the Taito Type X2 hardware SNK now develop their arcade games on.

SSJ_Sonikku
I got the KOF collection a week ago for PS2. So far I have to say it is good. Yeah the audio heccup in 98 is weird, but the games themselves play fine. The controls are decent and I haven't noticed any serious lag or slow down.

reelmojo
The load times aren't bothering me a bit. Only a second or two most times, unless you mean loading from the memory card. That takes a bit, but it always does with PS2 games. The audio hiccup in '98 is very strange though. It seems like something that could have been easily fixed.

Now I just need to get a PS2 controller that's designed for fighting games cause the standard pad is a bit cumbersome at times. Many times I've tried to jump forward and I end up jumping straight up instead. Overall though I'm very happy with my purchase.

SSJ_Sonikku
If you want a good game controller for fighters, the Street Fighter controller is decent. I'm using the Hori Fighting Stick 2, and boy does it work great! I set the buttons L2 X O and R2 to be A B C and D respectfully.

Carmen
reelmojo wrote:
Many times I've tried to jump forward and I end up jumping straight up instead.

That describes my execution on a stick (or a controller for that matter) :(
"Mercy on the Earth"

Kazuya_UK
Have the PSP version now and am going to try it later. I'm actually thinking that it might be better to just use the emulators if you have your psp hacked, because although I'd like to support SNK, it's very hard when the ports are not good enough.

Will post thoughts later.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
reelmojo
I've been going the emulator route for years so at this point I feel SNK deserves my money. Yes, I could have downloaded the KOFs that I haven't played yet and got just as much enjoyment out of them, but 5 games for $20 is a bargain any way you look at it.

That's not to say I'm anti-emulation. On the contrary, without emulators I wouldn't have known how good a lot of these NeoGeo games are. Playing them on emulators illegally resulted in me buying them legally, which I probably never would have otherwise.

Also, I definitely want to know what you think of the PSP version. I kinda want to buy that too so I can have KOF on the go. Smile

Spooky
I can't really see this game being bad. I already hacked my PSP Slim and I'll probably download this. I still wanna buy all the KOF games I can for my 4 slot though. But yeah, load times suck so bad, especially on games like Midway Arcade Treasures 3: Extended Play.
Long long ago, there were a man..

Jump to Forum: