Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 1308
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6018 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Best Soul Calibur
RiKo
Well I really love the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur, but it is a bit upsetting when I read from various places that a lot of people seem to think that this is the best version.

I don't have a PS3/XB360 (yet) but when I eventually do get one - one of the first games I want is Soul Calibur IV - but if it isn't as good as the Dreamcast version then.... well its a bit depressing really.

Is this actually true - about the DC version being the best ? (EDGE magazine even put this version in their top 100 games recently) or is it just people who had this version first - don't like the changes made in the sequels?

I really want to 'upgrade' from the original - which version do you guys think is the best? (I don't have any of the sequels)
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Kazuya_UK
I think all of them have their good points and bad points really, and I think in a way it's a case of people looking back with rose tinted spectacles. SC1 was such a fantastic game for the time with outstanding graphics and really fun gameplay as well as great characters and story that it's hard to top it, and seeing as none of the sequels have, imho, done anything massively different or mindblowing than SC1, people still think of the 1st as the benchmark. As much as I have played and enjoyed the sequels, none of them blew me away as much as when I first got the original.

I still like all the sequels and think they are more than worth getting but the only thing I can say that I totally hate is the addition of the stupid bonus characters like the Star Wars ones and so on, it really has spoiled things. Even worse is the fact that they made them all console specific so as stupid as it is to have Yoda twirling a lightsaber round, it's even more stupid to not be able to pit him against Darth Vader.

If you get a 360/PS3 then you'll at least be able to download a demo of SC4 and see what you think, that might help you decide what you think of it if you can't borrow it first or something.

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 10. October 2008 18:04
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
tony starks
SC1 is best hands down imo, like Kaz said it set the bench mark and The DC version is even better than the arcade version. That being said the Other SC's are still worth getting though they but are not as good as the first.
Starks is always out

Powerwave
i just got a 360 so ile probably be purchasing sc 4 soon, i look back with very fond memries of sc2 for the gamecube probably my fave so far

SteveDave
I am using those rose tinted spectacles Kaz mentioned, but SC1 made me realize what the "next gen" of gaming would look like....in 1999. Games like SC1 are just so rare and timeless that it's hard for ANY game, especially sequels, to match it's significance or fun level. Hell, SC1 looks (and plays) good almost 10 years later, a true "classic" in every sense of the word.

Being able to play as Link in SC2 was pretty cool too Grin

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

garu21
I havent played SC2 & SC4 :| just 1&3

SC 1 was amazing but i like SC3 better the best 3D fighting i played so far i kick ass whit MITSURUGHI & SEONG MINA :twisted:
Edited by garu21 on 12. October 2008 21:18
[img][/img]

Midian
SC II and II, never played I and IV but I would for Ivy's tits. Pfft
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

merlin
I've never played any Soul Calibur games but am keen to give them a try. I plan on getting Soul Calibur 3 soon for PS2.

RiKo
Thanks for all the opinions! I will be getting a 360 - probably within the next 6 months - and I know I will get Soul Calibur 4 anyaway. I did hear that both Yoda and Vader are actually on the disk - so maybe there will be a download to unlock them? I really like the idea of playing as Vader. Yoda would irritate me (since he's short and hard to hit)

Maybe the best test is for those people who have both the original Soul Calibur (on XBLA) and SCIV - which do they play the most? (I can see myself being seduced by graphics. I'm easy Smile )

Its a difficult one isn't it with sequels? I even read an article in which someone said that Soul-Blade was the best! - he may be in the minority though Smile

Merlin- both Soul Calibur and Tekken are brilliant games. SC on Dreamcast and Tekken 3 on PSX were 2 of my best gaming experiences at the time. You should definitely try them on PS2 (SC3 and TK5) - very inexpensive too.

merlin
Thanks RiKo I'll give them both a try.

Shiny
Button mash-o-ramas every single one of them. Look pretty though, I guess.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Powerwave
your right shiny, all 3d fighters are button mashey, they still have a place in my heart though despite less skill involved as 2d

RiKo
Shiny wrote:- Button mash-o-ramas every single one of them. Look pretty though, I guess.

I think that's true - but if you are a little experienced you can beat button mashers by doing things like side-stepping then throwing. Also its fairly easy to block moves in Tekken (3 - I used to play 3 a lot Smile ) and SC so you can block then counter. Its also very easy to hit a button masher with a power move as he/she rushes in. I think there is a lot of skill involved in SC/Tekken - but obvoiusly 2D fighters do require more skill!
One of my friends is actually a special-move basher - he mashes out Quarter-Circle forwards and Dragon-punch moves like there's no tommorrow and he jumps all over the place. He is actually more of a handfull on MOTW. Apart from that he has no real skill - he just attacks - no blocking. Fortunately this kind of 'basher' is rare.
Edited by RiKo on 12. October 2008 17:36

Carmen
A problem with SC (and a lesser extent Tekken) is that when you reach a high beginner/low intermediate stage, i.e. you know basic combos, how to defend correctly and what to punish, you can still be beaten by someone bashing like a mad man. Its really embarassing :sweat: Of course on high levels Tekken is pretty crazy (and I'm sure SC too) but at lower levels it does seem like mashing works.

Also to any 2D > 3D arguement, I have one faultless counterpoint - VF. I've yet to see a lesser player ever beat a higher skill player.
"Mercy on the Earth"

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:

I think that's true - but if you are a little experienced you can beat button mashers by doing things like side-stepping then throwing. Also its fairly easy to block moves in Tekken (3 - I used to play 3 a lot Smile ) and SC so you can block then counter. Its also very easy to hit a button masher with a power move as he/she rushes in. I think there is a lot of skill involved in SC/Tekken - but obvoiusly 2D fighters do require more skill!
One of my friends is actually a special-move basher - he mashes out Quarter-Circle forwards and Dragon-punch moves like there's no tommorrow and he jumps all over the place. He is actually more of a handfull on MOTW. Apart from that he has no real skill - he just attacks - no blocking. Fortunately this kind of 'basher' is rare.

You obviously have never played a fighting game against my girlfriend...she keeps jumping around a lot and doesn't use special moves...she's also extremely annoying when playing Chun-Li.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

candycab
I think my question was more or less answered above but.......

Dumb question time Grin

How deep is the fighting system in SC comparred to say the VF series ?

I dig on fighting games but am not very good with them as I really do lack the manual deterity to pull off most combos, my dryroasted peanut of a brain doesnt allow me to think that fast LOL

Im toying with buying the newist SC on PS3 but not sure it would be worth the cash if its just too damn hard [ though the difficulty on the demo seemed rather childish ]

I enjoy VF4 on the PS2 now and then but damn its tough to pickup, the depth of the system is very impressive though. i think that is what really draws me in but then I just suck Wink

Thoughts ?
Edited by candycab on 12. October 2008 22:32
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Carmen
VF and SC are in different universes. SC has quite a lot of gimmicks (like Tekken) to its name but overall they're very simple, VF on the other hand does take pride in its depth. That said both can be enjoyed at any level and I'd reckon to say that SC is not a bad choice because theres a decent chance you might find someone to play against (Whereas VF doesn't get much competition outside of Japan:( )
"Mercy on the Earth"

Powerwave
im not so sused on the depth that you mention in virtua fighter, ive played against experienced players and beat them with real simple combos

RiKo
cthulhu wrote:- You obviously have never played a fighting game against my girlfriend...she keeps jumping around a lot and doesn't use special moves...she's also extremely annoying when playing Chun-Li.

Ha Ha Smile - My friend plays as Chun-Li too! He's easier to counter in Streetfighter though. He's also obssesed with playing as female charcaters (He's getting married soon - his wife may be in for a surprise....)

Cthulhu - what character does your girlfriend play as in Waku Waku?

Carmen
Powerwave wrote:
im not so sused on the depth that you mention in virtua fighter, ive played against experienced players and beat them with real simple combos

Haha, of course the first response is "how experienced"? LOL But beyond that, VF isn't a game of highly intricated strings like Guilty Gear or something (though pulling off longer strings with the weaker characters like Aoi or Lion does require practice, and that Akira stuff is damn near impossible) - Depth comes mainly from how to get by your opponent's defense. Part of the reason VF is very hard for mashers to get by is that pretty much EVERY attack in the game is punishable and fairly predictable, meaning you can't just get in and push out some fast five hit mid/low string like Tekken and expect to be successful. If you're able to beat your "highly experienced friends" don't blame it on simple combos, be happy that your mindgames can outfox them well - cos thats really what VF attempts to be about, as opposed to Tekken or GG, where the focus is just on flashy offense. If you come by the US I'd be happy to fight you a couple of times Thumbs Up
"Mercy on the Earth"

Jump to Forum: