Thread ID: 1255
This Thread Is Locked
You can not post in this thread.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello Everyone!
RiKo
Hello Neo guys and girls. I am a big fan of the Neo Geo (AES) - (since February this year!). I only play games in the evenings but 90% of the time I play on my AES. The only other game I play is Outrun2 (which is amazing) on my Xbox.
Things weren't always so rosy though. When I first played on my Aes I was very disappointed. I thought the graphics weren't as good as I was expecting. There didn't seem to be many colours used, and things all looked a bit lo-res. This all changed when some weeks later I put a Metal Slug 3 cart in the slot. OMG this cart single-handedly changed my opinion. The graphics were amazing, so much variety, so much humour and zombies on the second level, and you can vomit blood!! woah! (Anyone seen this months RetroGamer? - they didn't like MS3 so much:( )
Since then I have managed to get some other cracking games. Here are my favourites:

King of Fighters 2002 (I love this, and I especially like the intro!)
Viewpoint (amazing - I wanted this in the days when I had a SNES - and now I have it - yeh!)
Garou: mark of Wolves (oozes style, amazing animation, rocking music *and* I prefer this to Third Strike!)
Waku Waku 7 - I have this on AES and I am very proud. I love the music and the characters.
Metal Slug 3 - see above
Shock Troopers - I am lucky to have a conversion cart in a nice box.
Art of Fighting 3 - I have the best fights on this with the CPU. I love the big sprites and the style of gameplay.
Its also good the way you can move forward while attacking. It is also probably the first fighting game to feature a pelican!

Both Viewpoint and Wolves are MVS which I play with a convertor.

It seems strange now to think that I initially didn't like the AES, but I love it now - evidenced by the relegation of my other consoles to the status of *rarely used* I don't have a lot of time for playing games but when I do its the AES that comes out.

My most recent purchase was Legend of Success Joe! I actually had some good fun playing this the other night. I liked the purity of the combat mechanic, and it was quite amusing. I alsways wanted to write a versus beat-em-up (I write *bad* games, though they are getting better!) where you had to drive to the venue, and then fight when you get there. I am sure it would have been awful! I only bought this game after reading Bobak's(?) review on NeoGeo.com where he called it Legend of SUCKess Joe. I just read Kazuyas and yes - he agreed!

Kazuya your reviews are good i agree especially with your Magician Lord review - I was very disappointed with that game, especially after I had read good things about it over the years.

Apart from the Neo G, I also love people (love those who love, ignore those who hate), music (literally anything that sounds fresh), and the sun (who doesn't!) My dream is to write a game for the Neo Geo, before I die. It will probably be Baad!

I hope everyone is having a good time tonight!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Atomduck
Hey There! It sounds like you have an awesome batch of AES games! I was lucky enough to find a Blazing Star Cart but Waku Waku 7? Youre good! Enjoy your stay!! Great Optimism too!
Edited by Atomduck on 30. August 2008 22:18

Kurisu
Oh my god!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

priest
You cant go wrong with a conversion of Shock troopers, right?

Welcome to the Elite, Riko Smile

If you want to list your games here
http://www.neogeo...ead_id=382 I would really apreciate it:
Edited by priest on 30. August 2008 22:55
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
garu21
welcome Thumbs Up

i m glad U like Garou more then Third Strike Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

[img][/img]

Carmen
Anybody who loves OutRun2 is considered a good friend of mines. Magical Sound Shower for life! Wink
"Mercy on the Earth"

merlin
Hi RiKo! Welcome to awesomeness that is NGFL. Smile

You've obviously got a lot of enthusiasm for Neo Geo gaming which is good to see. You made the right choice joining this site. I think you'll like it here.

I totally agree with you about Viewpoint it is awesome even though the difficulty is very tough. Magician Lord is I think a love/hate kind of game. It's definitely not going to appeal to everyone. Personally I think it's great.

What games do you plan on getting next? If you haven't already got it then Fatal Fury Special is a nice classic game to have in your collection. It's very cheap too.

candycab
Playable Art my man ! ... Playable Art ! ...

Welcome ... Once you spend more time with the finer MVS/AES games graphics will start to matter less, then when one comes along that is truely stellar looking you will be very jazzed with it [ most Slug games seem to reflect this #1 is actually very detailed Wink ]
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Shiny
Welcome to teh boards dude! Grin

Glad to see another WW7 fan among us. Thumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
Welcome to the forums!
I hope you enjoy your stay. Grin
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

RiKo
Thank you very much everyone for the kind welcome!

AtomDuck - Thank you. I don't know Smile - I think A Blazing Star cart trumps Waku Waku in terms of being hard to get! You are also quite right about the AES being a 16 bit system - the megadrive has the same 2 processors I think. (68000 and Z80). I do think the term 24bit suits the system though in terms of power.
Waku Waku was one of the reasons I got an AES - I had an Edge Retro Special which had a big section on collecting Neo Geo games, and it was featured in both the Saturn and Neo Geo sections - it caught my eye! Especially the giant boss at the end - is it Ferndinand?

Candycab - You are right about graphics mattering less as time goes on. I genuinely thought KOF2002 didn't have very good gfx at first! Now i have no idea why I thought that. Yes Playable Art - I would agree - I have always been a big fan of 2D games, and the amount of work that must go into something like Garou or Metal Slug is frightening!

Merlin - Next for me is definitely a proper AES copy of Mark of the Wolves. I love it so much. To be honest though I am not very skilled yet! Unfortunately it is quite expensive. I had an opportunity to buy it for 120 a while back, but I passed and now it seems to have rocketed in value! I only really buy Japanese games because I prefer the design of the box artwork. I do have FFS - but ahem - I have never played it - MOTW kind of took over. I will try it now though!

Carmen - I am happy to count you among my friends Smile My local arcade also had Outrun 2 so I sometimes play on it there too. I was disappointed when I first completed it on the Xbox and I was standing on the cliff with my in-game girlfriend, and I fell off and broke my ankle! Still things got considerably better that night when we got back to the hotel Wink A fitting end to the beautiful journey!

Thanks again to everyone - I look forward to seeing you in the forums!
Edited by RiKo on 01. September 2008 12:00

RiKo
Just an update:

-Merlin - Thanks for recommending Fatal Fury Special. I played it last night, and I very much enjoyed it! At first it seemed quite slow paced (compared to MOTW) but I soon got into it. i have to say that I did really badly! (I have a few bruises) I'm usually naturally quite good at beat-em-ups but I definitely suck at this game. The plane-switching is nice, but I got caught out a few times with this. I think I will have to have a look at some of the other FF games now, because I enjoyed this.

-Just want to confirm that I was in no way recommending that anyone should wilfully seek out 'Legend of Success Joe'. I did find it amusing and it was fun for about 40 minutes, but yes it sucked. (for want of a better word)

Thanks - Riko

merlin
RiKo wrote:
Just an update:

-Merlin - Thanks for recommending Fatal Fury Special. I played it last night, and I very much enjoyed it! At first it seemed quite slow paced (compared to MOTW) but I soon got into it. i have to say that I did really badly! (I have a few bruises) I'm usually naturally quite good at beat-em-ups but I definitely suck at this game. The plane-switching is nice, but I got caught out a few times with this. I think I will have to have a look at some of the other FF games now, because I enjoyed this.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it RiKo! Smile It's not exactly the easiest of games that's for sure but persevere and you will definitely start to improve. Some opponents like Tung Fu Rue can be particularly annoying to fight against. I don't know if you've seen it yet but the final encounter against Krauser is amazing. One of the most memorable boss encounters in any fighting game.

Shiny
Glad you're enjoying FFS RiKo, it's a true classic.

merlin wrote:
I don't know if you've seen it yet but the final encounter against Krauser is amazing. One of the most memorable boss encounters in any fighting game.

For my money, THE most memorable boss encounter. The build up, the music, the fact that it's so difficult to get there, the whole thing just feels so Goddamn epic, exactly what a boss encounter should be.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

RiKo
No I haven't seen the final encounter against Krauser yet. - I'm looking forward to it now though! Being not very good at the game it might also take a bit longer. What do you guys think of the other Fatal Fury games? (after Special)
It might be a couple of days yet because I'm currently sorting through a load of old computer stuff I got out of the loft. - I will probably end up playing on most of it too!

merlin
RiKo wrote:
What do you guys think of the other Fatal Fury games? (after Special)

They are all great RiKo and well worth tracking down. The three Real Bout games in particular are awesome. The graphics have been greatly improved and the gameplay is very fast and exciting. I think you would like them a lot. Fatal Fury 3 is well worth getting too. It's a very underrated game in my opinion. I reckon it would be a good idea to work your way through the whole series in the order they came out. Have fun. Smile

RiKo wrote:
Just want to confirm that I was in no way recommending that anyone should wilfully seek out 'Legend of Success Joe'. I did find it amusing and it was fun for about 40 minutes, but yes it sucked. (for want of a better word)

I'm impressed you were able to endure 40 minutes of this terrible game. LOL

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
No I haven't seen the final encounter against Krauser yet. - I'm looking forward to it now though! Being not very good at the game it might also take a bit longer. What do you guys think of the other Fatal Fury games? (after Special)

Welcome...very nice collection you have there. All Garou Densetsu games are worth buying especially Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special and Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2.
Be sure also to get some Samurai Spirits games...they're awesome.
Great to see another Waku Waku 7 fan...Makaitaitei Fernandeath rules!!!
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
Nice signiture Cthulhu! I played Waku Waku with a friend a couple of weeks ago, and he thought Bonus Kun and Fernandeath were hilarious! At the time we thought Bonus Kun was a giant cigrette - although I recently found out he is a punch bag (from Galaxy Fight apparently).

Merlin wrote
I reckon it would be a good idea to work your way through the whole series in the order they came out. Have fun.

Thanks Merlin - Yes I plan to. I will be sticking with FF Special for the time being Smile

cthulhu
Thanks...Bonus Kun is really funny and a great Ryu parody.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

LIFE_IN_2D
A late welcome Pfft. Hope to see lots more of you around the forums. Any fellow fan of KOF 02 is cool in my book!
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 06. September 2008 17:33
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: