Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: AES_Collector
Thread ID: 1237
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7001 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need advice (CMVS, Super MVS Convertor II or supergun?)
AES_Collector
Hello!

I have been thinking about getting into buying some MVS carts for playing games, since they are cheaper than AES carts. I wont be giving up AES collecting though.

However, I'm having difficulties deciding what kind of setup I should buy. I would love to get a candy-cabinet, but I don't think I have the space or the cash to buy one right now, so I have been considering buying a CMVS (a consolized MVS-mobo), a Super MVS Convertor II, or getting a supergun + mvs mobo.

I understand that you can build your own supergun etc, but I have no technical skills whatsoever with electronics etc, so I want to buy something that I can just switch on and start playing right away. Also, I want the actual gaming experience to be as close to the AES or arcade as possible, without having to deal with picture problems or lagging controls or anything like that.

What would you guys recommend?
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

candycab
I would look around and pay someone to build a supergun for you and go with a cabinet later when thats more of an option.

SuperGoose over at neo-geo.com used to build some really nice SG's

I dont know if he is still doing them but I would definitly ask him.

Most of the premade guns are pretty crappy IMHO [ MAS etc ]

I would definitly skip the convertors as they cost way too much and dont work all that well from what I understand. Usually they command the same amount of money that a decent SG or consolized board does so why bother.
Edited by candycab on 15. August 2008 16:35
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Eggy
go for the cmvs, you won't regret it. as candycab said before, converters can have problems, and superguns suck. a cmvs needs less space than a mobo and a supergun, and it looks way better. especially if you get a 2- or 4-slot that has been painted and some LEDs.
card.mygamercard.net/DE/DerWahreEGGY.png

zockerseele.de.tl
priest
Eggy wrote:
go for the cmvs, you won't regret it. as candycab said before, converters can have problems, and superguns suck. a cmvs needs less space than a mobo and a supergun, and it looks way better. especially if you get a 2- or 4-slot that has been painted and some LEDs.

Well there´s a different side of the coin which you have to consider. If you buy a conzolised MVS motherboard then you are restricted to play "only" MVS carts, but if you get a supergun you get a larger choice of games. You can hook up virtually any arcade motherboard system to the Supergun not to mention various pcb:s

Get a Supergun and a MVS motherboard, is my advice Smile
Edited by priest on 15. August 2008 20:54
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
tony starks
Priest made an excellent point, are you intrested in playing only Neo games, if so then a CMVS would be good, though make sure it has a uni bios because that will enable you to change the mode from MVS TO AES and vise versa among other features. I have a 4 slot CMVS though I need to get it repaired, I am not a technical wiz so I have to send it someone to repair it, that is the only thing that lets me down. If you have any trouble with your CMVS you need to have the technical know how to be able to fix it, or send it to someone else who has.
Edited by tony starks on 15. August 2008 23:40
Starks is always out

AES_Collector
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Yeah I'm mostly interested in supergun+mvs or a cmvs now. How does does it work with connecting arcade sticks to a supergun+mvs setup? Should I go for a mobo that have on-board controller connectors and use those to connect an AES controller?
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

merlin
priest wrote:
Get a Supergun and a MVS motherboard, is my advice Smile

I agree with Priest. A supergun gives you more options. You could in the future get other motherboards like Atomiswave, Hyper 64 etc. plus loads of Pcb's. A CMVS would be ok I suppose if you only want to play MVS titles. My supergun was bought from Raven Games here in the UK. It's a really nice one and looks good too but was quite expensive. You could probably get a cheaper one somewhere else.

AES_Collector wrote:
How does does it work with connecting arcade sticks to a supergun+mvs setup?

I don't have an MVS motherboard myself but I got the impression there might be joystick ports on it. Could be wrong about that though.

With my supergun I have to get any joysticks specially converted before they will work. Raven Games are currently converting a new style Neo Geo Joystick for me.

priest
AES_Collector wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Yeah I'm mostly interested in supergun+mvs or a cmvs now. How does does it work with connecting arcade sticks to a supergun+mvs setup? Should I go for a mobo that have on-board controller connectors and use those to connect an AES controller?

This is a link to hardmvs in which you can see the differnt motheboard specs:

http://www.hardmv...ompare.htm

As you can see several motherboards is equipped with controller ports, not all of them though. However it works "both ways"
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
AES_Collector
Cool! So if I get a mobo with controller ports, I just plug an AES-stick directly in the mobo?

What if I want to play a jamma pcb on my supergun? Are there any standard controller ports on most superguns that work with a specific kind of arcade-stick/controller?
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

AES_Collector
Might this be a good choice? http://cgi.ebay.d...286.c0.m14
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

cthulhu
AES_Collector wrote:
Cool! So if I get a mobo with controller ports, I just plug an AES-stick directly in the mobo?

What if I want to play a jamma pcb on my supergun? Are there any standard controller ports on most superguns that work with a specific kind of arcade-stick/controller?

I know the MVS 2-slot mobo has controller ports. A lot of non Japanese Superguns have Neo Geo controller ports with the fifth button being the select button, some have matching controllers that come with the supergun itself. Japanese Superguns on the other hand are basically arcade control panels (either 1 player or 2 player) mounted on top of a casing in which all electronics are hidden, in the back are all the monitor and sound connections. The PCB is inserted in the side with the use of an adapter. Japanese Superguns tend to be a lot more expensive than non Japanese ones...they look a lot nicer though but are very big and sometimes really heavy.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

AES_Collector
Thanks for the info! Smile A couple of more questions:

1. If I get a non-jap supergun with neo-geo controller ports, I can use my AES stick to play JAMMA-games, without any major problems?

2. If I use the supergun to play MVS, should I use the controller ports on the mvs mobo, if the mobo has them? Or should I use the supergun's ports?

3. What kind of power supply units would I need? Are there specific power supplies for each mvs-mobo and each supergun?

Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

cthulhu
1. If I get a non-jap supergun with neo-geo controller ports, I can use my AES stick to play JAMMA-games, without any major problems?

Most JAMMA games only use 3 or 4 buttons, the Atomiswave uses 5 buttons...I have a consolized Atomiswave with wich the select button is used as the 5th JAMMA button. I don't know how everything will work with Capcom fighting games because these use 6 buttons and require a kick harness to facilitate the 3 kick buttons as JAMMA was originally designed to use only 3 buttons. If the Supergun has Neo Geo controller ports you can be assured they're wired to the standard of the Neo Geo controller.

2. If I use the supergun to play MVS, should I use the controller ports on the mvs mobo, if the mobo has them? Or should I use the supergun's ports?

From what I know it is still possible to use the controller ports on the MVS mobo and you can also choose to use the Supergun's ports.
Be warned though as the MVS's pinouts might NOT be exactly to the JAMMA standard...I know the 1 slot MVS mobo is 100% JAMMA compatible, but the other MVS mobo versions might not be. Check http://www.hardmv...ompare.htm to be sure on what MVS mobo to buy. The biggest difference between JAMMA and MVS is in the pinout for the sound and the adding of a select button. The differences between JAMMA and MVS can also be found on the HardMVS site.

3. What kind of power supply units would I need? Are there specific power supplies for each mvs-mobo and each supergun?

An arcade motherboard gets it's power through the JAMMA harness, so the only PSU needed would be the one that comes with the Supergun. This by the way is not true for the Sega NAOMI system which requires an additional PSU if the Gd Rom setup is used. You'll need an additonal PSU for 3,3 V or a PSU that has 12 V, 5 V and 3,3 V such as a Sega NAOMI PSU.

Hope this information will help you.
Edited by cthulhu on 16. August 2008 17:58
My arcade stuff

AES_Collector
Ah okay!

Let me see if I understand this correctly;

So I can use a neo-geo controller for all mvs games and all JAMMA games that use 4 (or less) buttons?

I read about some of the mvs mobos not being totally JAMMA compatible, but if I get one that is not, I could just get an adapter, right?

Regarding the PSU; so if I am only going to run, let's say, MVS and maybe some JAMMA pcb:s I will only need one PSU (for the supergun)? Do I need to worry about the getting a specific supergun that can handle the power requirements of the mobo?

Again, many thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff! Smile

I have read through most of the info on hardmvs.com and other sites and forums, but since I have no experience with arcade hardware, some things are not that obvious to me. Maybe I will learn more when I get the hardware. hehe...
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

cthulhu
So I can use a neo-geo controller for all mvs games and all JAMMA games that use 4 (or less) buttons?
That should be about right. Maybe if you're lucky the Supergun is also wired to facilitate a 5th button like my consolized Atomiswave, but I wouldn't count on that if I were you.

I read about some of the mvs mobos not being totally JAMMA compatible, but if I get one that is not, I could just get an adapter, right?
I don't think so. A little while ago I installed an Atomiswave mobo in someone's JAMMA cab and the sound was awful because of the difference in the pinout on the JAMMA harness. What I did to get the sound right was simply to use the headphone connector to get the sound to the speakers...if you do it this way, the sound is in stereo (MVS is stereo and JAMMA is mono).

Regarding the PSU; so if I am only going to run, let's say, MVS and maybe some JAMMA pcb:s I will only need one PSU (for the supergun)? Do I need to worry about the getting a specific supergun that can handle the power requirements of the mobo?
All JAMMA compatible mobos will get their power from the JAMMA harness, so no additional PSU is needed. About all modern arcade systems (JAMMA 2) use a seperate PSU as they aren't JAMMA compatible (they use PC connections like USB etc. instead of a JAMMA harness). So if it's a JAMMA system or JAMMA compatible system, all the power is handled through the JAMMA harness.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to explain this stuff! Smile
You're welcome.

I have read through most of the info on hardmvs.com and other sites and forums, but since I have no experience with arcade hardware, some things are not that obvious to me. Maybe I will learn more when I get the hardware. hehe...
That's the best way to learn stuff...reading a lot of websites and just getting the hardware and see what makes it ticks...I'm in no way an expert since I'm still learning myself.
My arcade stuff

AES_Collector
Okay, thanks! Smile

Maybe I will get an mvs setup soon. Or maybe I will burn all the money on one single AES cart! hahaha
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

SSJ_Sonikku
I definitely have future plans for a 2 slot Neo Geo MVS unit. I decided that when I do get one, I want to get a SuperGun to play it on (I do have plans to get other arcade PCBs like Atomiswave and Hyper 64). I'll have to buy one from someone with the following mods:

1. Dual Format (AES and MVS support, especially for unfixed AES SSVS first and formost)
2. Unibios chip installed

I've heard that the 2 slot Neo Geo is not Jamma compatible, however, with an adaptor it will work. I guess I'll have to get an adaptor to make it work.

What individuals should I talk to make my MVS unit with those mods?

Jump to Forum: